What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ole Miss basketball players take a knee (3 Viewers)

Leroy Hoard is right. You are trolling here.

Straw Man by you and probably one of worst attempts I have ever seen in this forum.

I pointed out that you hadn't seen confederate flags since Nebraska did not become a state after the Civil War was over.

Your response mischaracterized that as:

"Are you saying their aren't white supremacists in this state?"

Complete distortion of what I had and your question is a non-sequitur. 

I am tired of trying to have a serious discussion with you and your response is always some nonsensical deflection like this.

I am through talking to you about anything. Troll someone else.,

:bye:
Yes. Quickly jump on the group mentality. 

I think you need to reread the thread. (it's only 4 pages long)

Look at my first post. It was pointing out the stupidity of making this a Trump thing. 

I was asked questions, that I answered. How can I be a troll if I'm not the one starting the conversation? I didn't bring up the Confederate Flag. I simply asked why we haven't banned it. 

I was asked about kneeling. And answered. 

In regards to my comments about Nebraska, I don't see why your panties are in a bunch. I was reiterating that the flag was a symbol of hatred. I would bet my next paycheck that their are people here that display that flag. I just don't see it. Not sure what your history lesson, on when Nebraska became a state, has anything to do with it.

What has become obvious is that you guys are looking for a target. You are foaming at the mouth and are looking for anyone to take it out on. @Leroy Hoard proved that with his backhanded racist comment. It was reiterated when I asked @Tom Skerritt the following. And nobody answered. 

Show me what is so horrible about anything I posted?

Keep in mind, a poster here, basically called me a racists. Which is worse? What I posted, or what he posted?
It's pretty pathetic the way you guys act. You think righteousness protects you from your behavior. 

I've said it a hundred times. You've become what you hate.  

Yes. Quickly jump on the group mentality. 

I think you need to reread the thread. (it's only 4 pages long)

Look at my first post. It was pointing out the stupidity of making this a Trump thing. 

I was asked questions, that I answered. How can I be a troll if I'm not the one starting the conversation? I didn't bring up the Confederate Flag. I simply asked why we haven't banned it. 

I was asked about kneeling. And answered. 

In regards to my comments about Nebraska, I don't see why your panties are in a bunch. I was reiterating that the flag was a symbol of hatred. I would bet my next paycheck that their are people here that display that flag. I just don't see it. Not sure what your history lesson, on when Nebraska became a state, has anything to do with it.

What has become obvious is that you guys are looking for a target. You are foaming at the mouth and are looking for anyone to take it out on. @Leroy Hoard proved that with his backhanded racist comment. It was reiterated when I asked @Tom Skerritt the following. And nobody answered. 

It's pretty pathetic the way you guys act. You think righteousness protects you from your behavior. 

I've said it a hundred times. You've become what you hate.  
So your feelings are hurt because nobody answered your question?

I'd like someone to explain what posts in this thread are considered trolling? Or racist?

I'm honestly curious. And truth be told, I can't make any changes if I don't understand what issue others have with my posts.

I'd like someone to explain what posts in this thread are considered trolling? Or racist?

I'm honestly curious. And truth be told, I can't make any changes if I don't understand what issue others have with my posts.
Being upset by a few kids kneeling in a non-violent protest is a weird position to take. Regardless whether or not it results in any effective change, they are within their 1st amendment right to do so. And somehow this bothers you. It’s just weird. And it will be perceived by some as racist.

Being upset by a few kids kneeling in a non-violent protest is a weird position to take. Regardless whether or not it results in any effective change, they are within their 1st amendment right to do so. And somehow this bothers you. It’s just weird. And it will be perceived by some as racist.
Please point to a post that shows I'm upset by these college players kneeling? 

I pointed out that the pro Confederate protesters were also within their first amendment rights as well. I asked, more than once, why we don't have bans on protests by hate groups. 

I've reread the whole thread. The only explanation I can think of, is that people were looking for a target. 

Not trying to stir any trouble here - but I don't see the relevance of the Nebraska debate here - I think @KCitons is correct to note that he does not see many confederate flags in Nebraska, and that should not be surprising.  The confederate flag serves a dual purpose of reinforcing racist policies, but also some misplaced southern "pride".

And, while there are certainly racists in Nebraska, there are not likely to be many wanting to invoke southern "pride".

I also think @KCitons straddles the line on trolling - I think he has heartfelt opinions on issues that are different than the mainstream (read: "liberal") positions.  I also think he like to flaunt those differences of opinions from time to time, but I think its often out of frustration with the mob mentality rather than simply trying provoke people here.  Just my opinion though.

Please point to a post that shows I'm upset by these college players kneeling? 

I pointed out that the pro Confederate protesters were also within their first amendment rights as well. I asked, more than once, why we don't have bans on protests by hate groups

I've reread the whole thread. The only explanation I can think of, is that people were looking for a target. 
Seriously?

And you are way too sensitive. 

Not trying to stir any trouble here - but I don't see the relevance of the Nebraska debate here - I think @KCitons is correct to note that he does not see many confederate flags in Nebraska, and that should not be surprising.  The confederate flag serves a dual purpose of reinforcing racist policies, but also some misplaced southern "pride".

And, while there are certainly racists in Nebraska, there are not likely to be many wanting to invoke southern "pride".

I also think @KCitons straddles the line on trolling - I think he has heartfelt opinions on issues that are different than the mainstream (read: "liberal") positions.  I also think he like to flaunt those differences of opinions from time to time, but I think its often out of frustration with the mob mentality rather than simply trying provoke people here.  Just my opinion though.
Thanks Sinn Fein.

I didn't plan to post in this thread, because I made my opinion known on kneeling during the NFL protests. Right or wrong, I feel there are other ways to get the message across. I didn't need to reiterate that here.

I did step in when @James Daulton posted about Trump. Again, my opinion, that it's a lazy excuse and a simple target. (and I'm not a Trump supporter). I should have gone with my first instinct and never posted in here.

I'll ask you the same question.

Do you think things are getting better or worse? Keep in mind that we've had 150 years to change hearts and minds. 

We have laws against hate crimes. Why not laws against hate propaganda? I would argue the latter leads to the former. 
To answer your questions:

I think things are slowly getting better. 

I’m in favor of free speech, even when I find it objectionable.  I’m not usually a “slippery slope” guy but I am with free speech.  

To answer your questions:

I think things are slowly getting better. 

I’m in favor of free speech, even when I find it objectionable.  I’m not usually a “slippery slope” guy but I am with free speech.  
Oddly enough, that doesn't apply on this board. 

It’s just weird. And it will be perceived by some as racist.
Of course it will. There is a group of people in this country that play the race card whenever something happens between a white person and a black person. 

KCitons said:
Thanks Sinn Fein.

I didn't plan to post in this thread, because I made my opinion known on kneeling during the NFL protests. Right or wrong, I feel there are other ways to get the message across. I didn't need to reiterate that here.

I did step in when @James Daulton posted about Trump. Again, my opinion, that it's a lazy excuse and a simple target. (and I'm not a Trump supporter). I should have gone with my first instinct and never posted in here.
KC we'll just have to agree to disagree.  The fact that you believe Trump hasn't brought the kneeling by black athletes into the national consciousness and made it an issue, not about blacks being killed by cops but about patriotism, shows me we have different priorities. 

Sinn Fein said:

Have only read the last page so not going to comment but it does seem like "The swarm" was disturbed. that happens quite often here.

When a  victim stumbles on a forum that houses a Swarm and disturbs it with a message that does not go along with the group think, the Swarm will erupt and fly at their victim from all directions. Taken one at a time the irrelevant, often mindless individual attacks can be easily brushed aside, but because of the sheer volume of the assault even the strongest Warriors must eventually yield. WARNING: Only those who are highly skilled in Swarm management techniques should attempt to wade into a Swarm hive. but even with protective clothing opposing Warriors should expect to suffer a few stings.

KC we'll just have to agree to disagree.  The fact that you believe Trump hasn't brought the kneeling by black athletes into the national consciousness and made it an issue, not about blacks being killed by cops but about patriotism, shows me we have different priorities. 
Sorry James. I just felt like your post came from left field. Not the first two sentences. But you go off on a tangent in the second  two sentences. 

Why is the first amendment suddenly not applicable during the national anthem?  These players are doing exactly what we've been taught is the correct way of showing displeasure with society, peaceful protest.

Freaking Trump could give two hoots about the flag, he openly lied and dodged service, but somehow his base ignores this while responding to his dog whistle of us vs them.  He really has created a cult for himself. 
That's the only reason I commented. I didn't post that I disagreed with these basketball players kneeling. I didn't post that I supported the Pro Confederate protesters. Or that I even care about whether Ole Miss' basketball attendance changes. 

You can read the anger in your post. That anger is directed at Trump and his base. It should be directed at the people that assemble to spread hateful rhetoric. 

Have only read the last page so not going to comment but it does seem like "The swarm" was disturbed. that happens quite often here.

When a  victim stumbles on a forum that houses a Swarm and disturbs it with a message that does not go along with the group think, the Swarm will erupt and fly at their victim from all directions. Taken one at a time the irrelevant, often mindless individual attacks can be easily brushed aside, but because of the sheer volume of the assault even the strongest Warriors must eventually yield. WARNING: Only those who are highly skilled in Swarm management techniques should attempt to wade into a Swarm hive. but even with protective clothing opposing Warriors should expect to suffer a few stings.
‘I think like others in my group , but iis only the group with an opposing point of view that partakes in group think’ shtick is getting really ####### old. 

Last edited by a moderator:
‘I think like others in my group , but iis only the group with an opposing point of view that partakes in group think’ shtick is getting really ####### old

i wonder if there is any overlap take that to the bank brohan 
Yes,  I think there is some overlap.
so no response and you resort to personal attacks i thought you were against and above that brohan take that to the bank 

so no response and you resort to personal attacks i thought you were against and above that brohan take that to the bank 
I responded. I said I thought their was some overlap.

Where is the personal attack? I was pointing out the problem with Epics post. I'm assuming he believes my posts are shtick. (which they are not). He (and the group) think that shtick is getting old. You happen to post right after him. (with your usual shtick) 

Kind of ironic. And somewhat hypocritical on Epic's part.

Sorry James. I just felt like your post came from left field. Not the first two sentences. But you go off on a tangent in the second  two sentences. 

That's the only reason I commented. I didn't post that I disagreed with these basketball players kneeling. I didn't post that I supported the Pro Confederate protesters. Or that I even care about whether Ole Miss' basketball attendance changes. 

You can read the anger in your post. That anger is directed at Trump and his base. It should be directed at the people that assemble to spread hateful rhetoric. 
My anger is directed at Trump and is constant hypocrisy. 

But I see what you're saying, I did misinterpret your response.  Apologies.   

Where is the personal attack? I was pointing out the problem with Epics post. I'm assuming he believes my posts are shtick. (which they are not). He (and the group) think that shtick is getting old. You happen to post right after him. (with your usual shtick) 

Just because that response was to a person on a certain side does not mean that I was singling out a certain side.

However, it is pretty amazing how many of the right leaning posters on this site tend to perceive themselves as being deserted on an island and bravely fighting the big, mean liberal swarm on their own when that’s hardly the case.

Ilov80s said:
Why is kneeling considered disrespectful to the anthem? From everything I’ve seen in all other phases of life kneeling is a sign of respect and adoration. Kneel to propose marriage,kneel during Church for the most important parts, kneeling before a Monarch/Emperor, kneel to beg for forgiveness, kneel to pray, kneel to show that you are giving yourself up in a fight/struggle, etc. Why is this the one case where kneeling is being considered aggressive and disrespectful?
I’m not sure it is, I think not. Iirc it was a vet who originally recommended it over sitting. Arguably it shows sadness or remorse mixed with respect. It certainly seems better than the people who ignore the anthem altogether.

Just because that response was to a person on a certain side does not mean that I was singling out a certain side.

However, it is pretty amazing how many of the right leaning posters on this site tend to perceive themselves as being deserted on an island and bravely fighting the big, mean liberal swarm on their own when that’s hardly the case.
I never said that was the case for everyone else. This thread stands as proof that things (and people) are teetering on the edge and looking for easy targets. 

ok well i guess i appreciate your thought that there is overlap between trump supporters and people that assemble to spread hate take that to the bank bromigo 

I never said that was the case for everyone else. This thread stands as proof that things (and people) are teetering on the edge and looking for easy targets. 
Sorry, I've been trying to read along. What was your original point? Was it that the confederate flag should be banned and also people objecting to the players' objecting were having their own free speech rights infringed? Sorry if I have that wrong, was that it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, I've been trying to read along. What was your original point? Was it that the confederate flag should be banned and also people objecting to the players' objecting were having their own free speech rights infringed? Sorry if I have that wrong, was that it?
My original point was that it isn't about Trump. The thread was progressing along just fine. I reiterated my original opinion in subsequent posts.

Based on the assumption that this is about Trump, then it could be argued that the players knelt, not to protest the protesters, but to protest Trump. Yet, none of the players or coaches said that. So, why would someone say that here? (unless it's false and done so to further an agenda)
and here

Trump didn't cause anything. This country has had problems for quite some time. Blaming Trump for everything assumes that once he is gone, all these problems will go away. They won't.
From there, others asked questions about the confederate flag and monuments. I answered each as they were presented. Somehow, that makes me a troll and possible a racist to some.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ole-miss-players-kneel-national-anthem-day-pro-confederate-rally-213431664.html

As a pro-Confederate rally marched through Oxford on Saturday, members of the Ole Miss men’s basketball team took a knee during the national anthem. At least six players took a knee before Ole Miss faced off against Georgia.

It’s unclear why the players chose to take a knee, though there is speculation it could be related to a pro-Confederate rally in the area.

Two pro-Confederate groups — Confederate 901 and Hiwaymen — are holding a protest to express their disappointment that Ole Miss will no longer use Colonel Reb as its mascot, according to Nick Suss of the Clarion Ledger
Why protest the non-use of Colonel Reb? This mascot hasn't been used since 2010.  To me it looks like a way for white supremacists to keep the fire going. Perhaps they feel they have implicit approval from our leadership.

I would guess this is a one time protest by the basketball team in reaction to the pro-confederate march.

Why protest the non-use of Colonel Reb? This mascot hasn't been used since 2010.  
It actually hasn't been used in any official capacity since 2003. Ole Miss went from 2003 to 2010 without a mascot until they selected Admiral Akbar a black bear. 

Colonel Reb's time as mascot ran from 1979 to 2003. 

It actually hasn't been used in any official capacity since 2003. Ole Miss went from 2003 to 2010 without a mascot until they selected Admiral Akbar a black bear. 

Colonel Reb's time as mascot ran from 1979 to 2003. 
Yeah I was at a game in 2003 that some people in the Grove had some Colonel Reb wood figures at their tailgates they had made to keep him alive in a way.  That was still a fresh thing.  This was a game in early November against South Carolina, so while the decision had been made I'm not 100% certain if he had been retired already at that point or it was the end of the season.

Users who are viewing this thread