What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ongoing Chris Johnson Discussions (1 Viewer)

Shutout

Footballguy
NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that Chris Johnson "will under no circumstances" report to Titans training camp without a new contract.

Lombardi expects Johnson to "dig in" with regard to his contract stance, targeting a monster deal for a running back. It's worth noting that NFL Network's Jason La Canfora and the Nashville Tennessean reported similar things in June, so the story is legit. The Titans could potentially use an Adrian Peterson extension as a jump-off point for negotiations. Johnson is known to be in search of a "history" deal. His current salary is a measly $800,000.

Wow this could be big.

Last edited by a moderator:
The titans will trip over their feet running to bring him a fat extension. Non-issue IMO.
Wasn't this an issue last year? They didn't pay him then. Don't know their situation with the cap but has enough changed to where they just say "ok...here's the top 3 RB money you want".

The titans will trip over their feet running to bring him a fat extension. Non-issue IMO.
Wasn't this an issue last year? They didn't pay him then. Don't know their situation with the cap but has enough changed to where they just say "ok...here's the top 3 RB money you want".
Yes, aforementioned Sianora to VY and the fact that he followed up a record-breaking season with a top five season shows he can consistently play at an elite level.

And another thing, TN is going nowhere this year. They have Ringer, can find a vet and they could let Johnson sit there or even trade him if they had to.

I think Johnson deserves mega money but the fact is he is under contract and the Titans are not under any obligation to pay Roy Hobbs here any more money.

I will probably get reamed at here for this but I agree with MOP. This team STINKSSSS and CJ3 does deserve megamoney but what is the point for Tennessee? I know it never happens but why shouldnt it trade him for a kings ransom instead of watching him collect uber money on a 6-10 team that will not compete until he is possibly past his prime. Could you imagine the kind of ransom they could get for him from a very good competing team that doesnt have a great rb?

Teams don't react well when players don't report to camp. How often has a RB held out and gotten a fat contract?
Usually, if a team doesn't pay a player and it gets to a holdout, it's because the team never had any intention of paying the player. I would think that Tennessee wants to keep Johnson.

Two years ago this team had the best record in the NFL for the majority of the season. If they get Hass, which looks likely, they could compete with an addition or two to their d-line.

And another thing, TN is going nowhere this year. They have Ringer, can find a vet and they could let Johnson sit there or even trade him if they had to.

I think Johnson deserves mega money but the fact is he is under contract and the Titans are not under any obligation to pay Roy Hobbs here any more money.
Teams don't think that way. Reports have indicated that the team is ready to make a "huge" offer for Matt Hasselbeck. Does a team that sees itself "going nowhere", make a big offer to a 36 year old QB?

Teams don't think that way. Reports have indicated that the team is ready to make a "huge" offer for Matt Hasselbeck. Does a team that sees itself "going nowhere", make a big offer to a 36 year old QB?
exactly. very few teams see themselves that way. That aside the problem is that the GM is ex SEA and may not ne thinking straight...

Well...he has the Titans pretty much bent over(excuse the language). There offense is based around him and he is so essential to them, they need to pay him whatever he wants.

:lmao: Ringer might lost his 2nd string role to a 4th round rookie. CJ is worth the money and the management knows that.

This holdout news is old.

I've read articles stating that Johnson wants to be paid similar money to the top players in the NFL, not the top RB's. He'd better be prepared to accept much less than he's dreaming of.

Looking at it as a fan and knowing what the guy has done statistically these few years, I think he deserves a fat contract too. But if I were to look at it as a business this guy already has a lot of wear and tear, and RB is probably one of the easier positions to fill in the NFL.

I could actually see this going for awhile.

hes underpaid but the issue between him and Ten is how much underpaid - this could be a ugly, long suffering for Ten fans imo

I expect this to happen all the time now with 2nd and 3rd year players with the new salary structure for rookies. Be curious to see how this tends to unfold. But at some point, people need to get paid. You can't argue not to give rookies huge $$$ because they haven't proven it, not to give veteran RBs huge $$$ because of the wear and tear on the position, and then turn and say not to give huge $$$ to CJ.

Tight time frame, but I'm sure the Titans have planned for this for awhile. If they are under the cap, I don't see how a deal doesn't get worked out. He deserves a big contract. He's been one of their only weapons (Britt I guess being the only other one) for two years now...

I expect this to happen all the time now with 2nd and 3rd year players with the new salary structure for rookies. Be curious to see how this tends to unfold. But at some point, people need to get paid. You can't argue not to give rookies huge $$$ because they haven't proven it, not to give veteran RBs huge $$$ because of the wear and tear on the position, and then turn and say not to give huge $$$ to CJ.
2nd year players cannot renegotiate contracts

That is one thing that I am surprised the players gave up... and one that I don't think they should have. Not unless they beefed up the incentive program that already existed for rewarding young players who outperform their contract.

Teams don't react well when players don't report to camp. How often has a RB held out and gotten a fat contract?
Each situation is different but Johnson is pretty much in the perfect position to hold out for a big deal. He's making nothing and he's a league superstar. He's gonna get paid. It's just a question of how long and for how much.

The two hardest teams in the league to negotiate/renegotiate a contract with in the NFL are the Titans and Eagles. That being said, Bud Adams will pony up the dough this time to keep his only offensive option happy.

'Getinthemix said:
'Chase Stuart said:
I hadn't seen that, thanks.But what happens if a player does hold out? Could a player hold out and just report in week 10 or whenever?

'kinglochness said:
The two hardest teams in the league to negotiate/renegotiate a contract with in the NFL are the Titans and Eagles. That being said, Bud Adams will pony up the dough this time to keep his only offensive option happy.
agreed

I'm trying hard not to quote individuals because I have found over the many years that everyone takes those posts the wrong way so I'll say this in general and then you all can tear it apart. While many are saying that Chris Johnson is good to go on wear and tear...this guy has a ton of carries his 1st 3 years in the league. He had over 400+ touches in 2009 and then in 2010 he had a decent year but I owned him in dynasty and redraft...solid, a few big games but nothing like 2009. Did Jeff Fisher burn thru another potential HoF RB? It wouldn't be the first time.

All I'm saying is that RB in the NFL is evolving into a position that teams want to have 2 guys they can rotate in and out of the line up. I'm sorry if that opinion angers folks but its just an opinion and probably nothing you need to even take notice of.

As a Johnson owner(that sounds weird) I want him to get paid and be happy so we don't have to deal with "holdout" talk but its not often that teams will pony up and gve in to demands of players. Johnson has way outperformed his contract and I would have to go back and look but didn't TN give him some more money to extend his contract a year or two last season? I must be losing my mind, let me look it up...

I swear I thought the Titans gave him a little more money last off season to reward him for 2009 but they didn't want to redo his contract yet.

Found this...

"Last year, Titans running back Chris Johnson wanted a new contract. The Titans resisted, due in part to the rules of the uncapped year, which would have required the team to give Johnson a gigantic signing bonus in order to get a deal done. Eventually, the two sides agreed to a short-term fix, which gave Johnson some extra money but nothing remotely close to the mammoth deal he wanted."

Would someone get me my cain and help get situated in this rocker over here?

'Ministry of Pain said:
And another thing, TN is going nowhere this year. They have Ringer, can find a vet and they could let Johnson sit there or even trade him if they had to. I think Johnson deserves mega money but the fact is he is under contract and the Titans are not under any obligation to pay Roy Hobbs here any more money.
They will sign him because he is their most exciting player. They are looking to win because they are going hard after Hass. Finally, why would you let a guy sit out because you don't care, if you don't care then trade him. At some point you are going to have to pay him

this isn't new news. Curious why the Titans didn't have a contract gift-wrapped and ready for him

'Ministry of Pain said:

They do that only partially because of optimism but as much so or more because they are protecting their investment in their new QB. They know he's not ready. No use in wasting a young kid before he is ready and Tennessee, over the years, has been one of the few teams that has consistently shown that it is willing to not toss a young QB into the fire.

this isn't new news. Curious why the Titans didn't have a contract gift-wrapped and ready for him
Well, it IS new news because last year's situation was seemingly repaired (MOP has the wording posted above). And with all going on and the scramble to get so much done, this could be a very big deal. I think this is different than last year and bears watching.

this guy has a ton of carries his 1st 3 years in the league. He had over 400+ touches in 2009 and then in 2010 he had a decent year but I owned him in dynasty and redraft...solid, a few big games but nothing like 2009. Did Jeff Fisher burn thru another potential HoF RB? It wouldn't be the first time.

All I'm saying is that RB in the NFL is evolving into a position that teams want to have 2 guys they can rotate in and out of the line up. I'm sorry if that opinion angers folks but its just an opinion and probably nothing you need to even take notice of.
I really agree with this. Yes, CJ garners a lot of excitement but I think, overall, he is overrated. He DOES have the huge games but he also has a good number of pedestrian games. Last year, he had something like 7 games where he had less than 70 yards and did not score. That's half a season of not producing for your fantasy team. But that's fantasy and I think that is what the REAL Titans may be evaluating. They see this too and perhaps they have the same concerns. In reality, he probably gets a deal and sure he is worth it. But I do think there is enough there to cause some delay and distraction and not outside the realm of possibility to think maybe he holds out the first game or so or is held out out the first game (something similar to what happended to Gates when the club said "report by this date or you're out the first game" a few years ago).

'Chase Stuart said:
You can't argue not to give rookies huge $$$ because they haven't proven it, not to give veteran RBs huge $$$ because of the wear and tear on the position, and then turn and say not to give huge $$$ to CJ.
RB in the NFL is evolving imo. They are becoming a nickel per dozen. NFL teams can pair a bruiser and a fleet footed pass catcher for very cheap....cheaper than an every down back. Why pay Chris Johnson massive cash now after 3 years of abuse when you could easily employ a committee for cheaper which takes less abuse and you can pay less money to? RB's have an extremely short shelf life in the NFL but there are many to be had through free agency, the draft, or even undrafted guys. The NFL is all about the QB.

Last edited by a moderator:
this guy has a ton of carries his 1st 3 years in the league. He had over 400+ touches in 2009 and then in 2010 he had a decent year but I owned him in dynasty and redraft...solid, a few big games but nothing like 2009. Did Jeff Fisher burn thru another potential HoF RB? It wouldn't be the first time.

I really agree with this. Yes, CJ garners a lot of excitement but I think, overall, he is overrated. He DOES have the huge games but he also has a good number of pedestrian games. Last year, he had something like 7 games where he had less than 70 yards and did not score. That's half a season of not producing for your fantasy team. But that's fantasy and I think that is what the REAL Titans may be evaluating. They see this too and perhaps they have the same concerns. In reality, he probably gets a deal and sure he is worth it. But I do think there is enough there to cause some delay and distraction and not outside the realm of possibility to think maybe he holds out the first game or so or is held out out the first game (something similar to what happended to Gates when the club said "report by this date or you're out the first game" a few years ago).
He was their entire offense...VY fell apart, their line fell apart, play calling was bad, Collins was terrible and he was facing 8-9 man fronts every game. Put any RB in that situation and they will struggle mightily to produce.....the fact that he still had a top 5 season (10 points from being #2 o/all) is pretty good IMO.

He was their entire offense...VY fell apart, their line fell apart, play calling was bad, Collins was terrible and he was facing 8-9 man fronts every game. Put any RB in that situation and they will struggle mightily to produce.....the fact that he still had a top 5 season (10 points from being #2 o/all) is pretty good IMO.
I don't disagree. Just listing the actual results. The info is more about real-life and the kinds of things that could promote a holdout in real life more than it is about fantasy. In fantasy I'm sure people will still value him highly. Just listing some things that may impact him negatively short-term and long.

'kinglochness said:
agreed
I would think that the Chargers might be the toughest (see Vincent Jackson).

'Ministry of Pain said:

They do that only partially because of optimism but as much so or more because they are protecting their investment in their new QB. They know he's not ready. No use in wasting a young kid before he is ready and Tennessee, over the years, has been one of the few teams that has consistently shown that it is willing to not toss a young QB into the fire.
I agrre to an extent, but there were far cheaper options on the market, if that was all they wanted to achieve. Most teams do not head into a season, saying "we have no chance to compete so why spend any money trying to get better?".

'Ministry of Pain said:
or even trade him if they had to.
"We're gonna suck THIS year so it totally makes sense that we should trade away one of the best RBs in the league. That's the perfect way to build for the future."

I swear I thought the Titans gave him a little more money last off season to reward him for 2009 but they didn't want to redo his contract yet.
Because of the uncapped year and Johnson's low base salary the Titans couldn't offer him more than a 30% increase to his salary. I don't think the lack of renegotiation last season means anything this season and they will come to the table with something big- though it won't be a 15mil/year big that CJ appears to want.

What is the drop dead date you must report to get an aquired full season or credited year?

Some say 23 days after the start of the league year, some say August 9th...so does anyone know, since its a matter of the new CBA.

Well, today is the deadline date to report or else lose a year's worth of accrued service. Here's the report:

Everyone still thinking this no big deal??

Chris Johnson remains in his hometown of Orlando and appears to have no plans to report to training camp any time soon.

Unlike DeSean Jackson, Johnson has two years left on his contract. Therefore, today's deadline to accrue a year of service means little to him. The Titans are taking a hard-line approach of not negotiating with CJ2K until he at least shows up at the facility. They haven't even made an offer yet.

At what point in your draft is he worth the risk? Early drafters might get the opportunity to steal CJ in the mid to late first. It's hard to imagine the Titans starting the season without him. :unsure:

can the Titans afford to not make an offer to arguably the best young RB in the league? this isn't a top 20 WR here like VJAX ...... CJ is an elite talent

will the Titans really hurt their fan base by not making every effort to sign him? and by hurting the fan base I mean Titans fans won't be watching CJ on Sunday, they won't be watching many wins without him, the sale of jersey's etc etc ?

At what point in your draft is he worth the risk? Early drafters might get the opportunity to steal CJ in the mid to late first. It's hard to imagine the Titans starting the season without him. :unsure:
or you could throw away a mid to late first round pick. My draft isn't until September so I'll have a much better idea by then, but as some one that has the No. 5 pick in the draft, my inclination would be to pass on him if I was drafting soon.The fact that he's willing to sit past the deadline, means he's in it for the long haul. Titans seem to be playing a game of chicken saying they will not negotiate until he reports to camp. Could get ugly.

As a CJ owner I have to say that I don't mind at all. Take as few preseason snaps as possible.

or you could throw away a mid to late first round pick. My draft isn't until September so I'll have a much better idea by then, but as some one that has the No. 5 pick in the draft, my inclination would be to pass on him if I was drafting soon.The fact that he's willing to sit past the deadline, means he's in it for the long haul. Titans seem to be playing a game of chicken saying they will not negotiate until he reports to camp. Could get ugly.
Exactly. he is at the point of no return now. He just gave up a year of his contract so unless he gets the titans to tear up the deal and give him a new one, he can only lose. For him to give in would be the worst possible outcome he could have (no more money PLUS he has to play out another year).

'Shutout said:
'Dr. Octopus said:
'Grahamburn said:
Exactly. he is at the point of no return now. He just gave up a year of his contract so unless he gets the titans to tear up the deal and give him a new one, he can only lose. For him to give in would be the worst possible outcome he could have (no more money PLUS he has to play out another year).
The Titans will give in. They have no choice and CJ has earned it...he's BY FAR the best player on the team and their only real hope to be somewhat competitive.

Users who are viewing this thread