What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan movie (1 Viewer)

Not sure why Tenet gets hate. I thought it was awesome. I think Nolan's public attitude at the time turned people off of it a bit, but as far as the movie goes I thought it was great. I liked it better than Dunkirk.

I think you are the first person I have seen that liked it. thought it was terrible. which is so weird because everything else he has done has been great

Huh. TIL that Memento is the only Christopher Nolan film that I've been able to sit through more than once. I really don't like this guy's filmography, but obviously I'm in the minority here.

Looking forward to seeing. Will have to wait til next week.

I think Dunkirk is my favorite of his movies so far. Memento, Interstellar, Inception, Dark Knight one with Bane or Joker all in the mix for next spot.

Not sure why Tenet gets hate. I thought it was awesome. I think Nolan's public attitude at the time turned people off of it a bit, but as far as the movie goes I thought it was great. I liked it better than Dunkirk.

I think you are the first person I have seen that liked it. thought it was terrible. which is so weird because everything else he has done has been great
:shrug:

I have watched Tenet twice. Loved it

I didn't even know there was a movie called Tenet that he'd done. It looks awesome, actually.

I can see IK's point, though. I don't think I've watched a movie of his more than once. But he took the sting out of Aronofsky not doing the Dark Knight Trilogy, so there's that. The only guy that could replace Aronofsky is Nolan. I also happen to like Nolan's worldview. He doesn't hew and buckle to ideology that you would expect from a Hollywood director. He's got his own thoughts, and he isn't hesitant to express them.

Last edited:
Memento is a masterpiece and I’ve seen it countless times. Dunkirk is his next best movie imo. It’s not really close. Easily one of the best movies of recent memory. After that, Dark Knight probably gets the nod. That really did take the super hero movie to a new level. His other films are a mixed bag for me. Very enjoyable but not sure they hold up to rewatches. Note I haven’t seen Insomnia since it came out and haven’t yet seen Tenet.

Well I'll continue to be the weird one here and say that Dunkirk I don't put among my favorites of his. It was fine, but forgettable to me :shrug:

1) Memento
2) Inception
3) Interstellar
4) Prestige
5) Tenet
6) Dark Knight
7) Dunkirk
8) Batman Begins

With all these incredible reviews and a 92% on rotten tomatoes, it's always interesting to read those few critics reviews that are not positive. I wonder if they are just being contrarian.

I think Dunkirk is my favorite of his movies so far. Memento, Interstellar, Inception, Dark Knight one with Bane or Joker all in the mix for next spot.
Really liked Dunkirk. Interstellar and Memento were very good.

But don’t understand the appeal of the Dark Knight. Didn’t care for it.

Really liked Dunkirk. Interstellar and Memento were very good.

But don’t understand the appeal of the Dark Knight. Didn’t care for it.
I liked the one with Bane. The build up to them fighting was very cool as was the opening scene introing Bane. Thought the one with Joker had some great scenes as well. Those were some great comic book movies

With all these incredible reviews and a 92% on rotten tomatoes, it's always interesting to read those few critics reviews that are not positive. I wonder if they are just being contrarian.
Yea people click on the splatted tomato on that site to see what they say. It sucks how people are.

Memento is a masterpiece and I’ve seen it countless times. Dunkirk is his next best movie imo. It’s not really close. Easily one of the best movies of recent memory. After that, Dark Knight probably gets the nod. That really did take the super hero movie to a new level. His other films are a mixed bag for me. Very enjoyable but not sure they hold up to rewatches. Note I haven’t seen Insomnia since it came out and haven’t yet seen Tenet.
I adore Memento, BTW. Great movie.

I clicked on one of the splats, and the “critic” spent 50% of his words complaining about the theatre starting the movie late, and some issues with the projection being out of focus. It’s like Mary Todd Lincoln writing a review of Our American Cousin or something.

ETA: And the other 50% complains that Nolan makes Oppenheimer out to be an unknowable, man of mystery. He’s. Oh. So. Close.

Last edited:
I clicked on one of the splats, and the “critic” spent 50% of his words complaining about the theatre starting the movie late, and some issues with the projection being out of focus. It’s like Mary Todd Lincoln writing a review of Our American Cousin or something.

I always read some of the negative reviews for restaurants for this reason. I want to see if the complaints are consistent and relevant, or a bunch of crap like “The waiter put too much ice in my water and parking was TERRIBLE!!! 1 STAR!!!!”

Guy pearce is a great actor.

I was early on the Nolan train dragging a few friends to a theater during the limited release of Memento based on the premise.
I love Tenet, it probably helped that it was the first big welcome back to theaters after (during?) covid.
I want to like Dunkirk and have watched it twice but seems like its just not for me.

I was early on the Nolan train dragging a few friends to a theater during the limited release of Memento based on the premise.
I love Tenet, it probably helped that it was the first big welcome back to theaters after (during?) covid.
I want to like Dunkirk and have watched it twice but seems like its just not for me.

Not that high on Dunkirk either. It's good but I don't rank it as highly as most

Pretty, pretty excited. Nolan is about as good as it gets for me. Even the wife wants to see it cause she's a fan of Cilian Murphy from Peaky Blinders and when I told here he goes full frontal she was like "Sign me up!" So I got that going for me.

I never watched it. Just saw Elizabeth Debicki was in it. I LOVED HER as Victoria in the Man From UNCLE. Definitely gonna watch it now.

Pretty, pretty excited. Nolan is about as good as it gets for me. Even the wife wants to see it cause she's a fan of Cilian Murphy from Peaky Blinders and when I told here he goes full frontal she was like "Sign me up!" So I got that going for me.

I hear he hangs dong.

Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer is about as perfect as you can get casting-wise. I think that dude is right. I got a feeling this will go down as one of the all-time great movies despite the difficult content. I keep thinking of Schindler's List as a notable comparison. Not sure why. Maybe the era.

Cillian Murphy as Oppenheimer is about as perfect as you can get casting-wise. I think that dude is right. I got a feeling this will go down as one of the all-time great movies despite the difficult content. I keep thinking of Schindler's List as a notable comparison. Not sure why. Maybe the era.
It's gotten quite a few Social Network comps online.

Hmm that's interesting. A bit odd. Wonder why. Zuckerberg as a personality? Or?

I’d take that. Social Network was very, very good.

Not that high on Dunkirk either. It's good but I don't rank it as highly as most
Dunkirk was my least favorite of his movies

Hmm that's interesting. A bit odd. Wonder why. Zuckerberg as a personality? Or?
I would assume possibly a Zuck like personality, telling of an important American story and that Social Network is often cited as being the best movie of the 21st century.

I saw it yesterday. It was a good film, but not outstanding. 7.5 out of 10. When I got home I watched a documentary on Oppenheimer which showed a stark contrast between the real person and the character Murphy played in the film.

I saw it yesterday. It was a good film, but not outstanding. 7.5 out of 10. When I got home I watched a documentary on Oppenheimer which showed a stark contrast between the real person and the character Murphy played in the film.
Obviously these are always a matter of interpretation. The movie is based a Pulitzer Prize winning Biography (American Prometheus) and the authors of the book said it's the most accurate movie adaptation of a biography they have ever seen.

Obviously these are always a matter of interpretation. The movie is based a Pulitzer Prize winning Biography (American Prometheus) and the authors of the book said it's the most accurate movie adaptation of a biography they have ever seen.
Potential Spoiler:

The documentary I watched, The Trials of Oppenheimer by BBC, included interviews of people who knew him. They described him as insecure, arrogant, condescending, and unlikeable. That's not what I saw in the movie.

Potential Spoiler:

The documentary I watched, The Trials of Oppenheimer by BBC, included interviews of people who knew him. They described him as insecure, arrogant, condescending, and unlikeable. That's not what I saw in the movie.
I haven't seen it so I don't know if that how I will read the character but it's possible to interview different people and get different answers. I am sure my wife would describe me differently than an ex-girlfriend. I doubt all my co-workers and students feel the same way about me.

Potential Spoiler:

I haven't seen it so I don't know if that how I will read the character but it's possible to interview different people and get different answers. I am sure my wife would describe me differently than an ex-girlfriend. I doubt all my co-workers and students feel the same way about me.
Just giving my opinion and how I got there.

Looks
Potential Spoiler:

Just giving my opinion and how I got there.
For sure and I can't really say. Haven't seen any of what you are referring to. Just pointing out how difficult it is to really understand any of history because it's almost all filtered through human POVs and those are often unreliable or worse.

For sure and I can't really say. Haven't seen any of what you are referring to. Just pointing out how difficult it is to really understand any of history because it's almost all filtered through human POVs and those are often unreliable or worse.
My sense is that some some leeway was given on his personality in order to build sympathy for the character in the movie. It would be far more challenging to build that sympathy for an arrogant, unlikeable person who often times berated people. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood glamorized someone.

My sense is that some some leeway was given on his personality in order to build sympathy for the character in the movie. It would be far more challenging to build that sympathy for an arrogant, unlikeable person who often times berated people. It wouldn't be the first time Hollywood glamorized someone.
This is a strange hill to die on :shrug: In the documentary that you watched did they dive into his womanizing eccentric behavior?

Well it's feeling like if it's not a glowing review then it must be dissected and undermined in some fashion. To each his own. I hope you guys enjoy it. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 which by my math is pretty good.

My 18-year old son's first reaction when I told him we were all going to see Oppenheimer next week in 70mm IMAX.

"There's a 15-minute sex scene in it". :huh:

Probable Source: TikTok

Well it's feeling like if it's not a glowing review then it must be dissected and undermined in some fashion. To each his own. I hope you guys enjoy it. I gave it a 7.5 out of 10 which by my math is pretty good.

While the non-glowing reviews are few and far between, one thing I did see more than once is a reference to the movie feeling like a three-hour classroom lecture/Wikipedia article. I love Nolan, and I love pretty much every actor in the cast, so I’m hoping it isn’t so intellectual that it lacks an emotional punch.

While the non-glowing reviews are few and far between, one thing I did see more than once is a reference to the movie feeling like a three-hour classroom lecture/Wikipedia article. I love Nolan, and I love pretty much every actor in the cast, so I’m hoping it isn’t so intellectual that it lacks an emotional punch.
There are some emotional moments. Just not enough for me to feel it's worth of a 9 or 10. Movies like Schindler's List, Gladiator, Good Will Hunting, and A Beautiful Mind are a class above in this regard, which is why I wince when I see such lofty ratings for this one.

As an aside, I find much of the experience is where expectations have been set going into it. Perhaps my critique can be used to temper expectations for the rest of you since most of the reviews are so flattering.

My 18-year old son's first reaction when I told him we were all going to see Oppenheimer next week in 70mm IMAX.

The kids these days are really weird about sex in movies/TV. It’s strange.

There is a sex scene, but not 15 minutes long. Maybe five. There’s also a scene where implied post-coital sitting naked on opposing wingback chairs talking, which is normal, human post-coital behavior.

Huh. TIL that Memento is the only Christopher Nolan film that I've been able to sit through more than once. I really don't like this guy's filmography, but obviously I'm in the minority here.

I don't even think I've seen one of his movies. :bag:

You didn’t see The Dark Knight?

No. Not much for bat man or stuff like that. I think I'm going to go to the theater to watch this one though. I've got two weeks next month with no wife or little kids, so I plan on taking in some movies. If I like Oppenheimer, I'll try to find Memento, Dunkirk and others. I've been meaning to watch them, just never got around to it.

I still have the special edition DVD. All the controls to get the movie to play, the sounds controls, etc. are a puzzle to find. Frustrating as heck, but it totally fits that movie.

(IMO, Inception is his best movie.)

Users who are viewing this thread