What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Oppenheimer - New Christopher Nolan movie (2 Viewers)

Don Quixote

Footballguy
I thought I’d get a thread going for what looks like the movie event of the summer in my eyes. The book that it was based on (American Prometheus) was amazing.

Who’s going? What format are you seeing it in? Was just looking for some tickets for Friday afternoon (off work and kid in camp) and need to decide, as Fandango has options for premium large format, 70MM, or IMAX. :popcorn:

his brother (who founded the Exploratorium in SF) lived up the street from my childhood home. he drove an old black sedan that my overly gentle and demure collie used to go ape-**** over every time he drove by- only person or thing on the planet he'd have the reaction towards.

will the movie cover that?

After doing some research, bought a ticket for the 70mm version. Nolan said best is IMAX 70mm (but there are only ~25 screens in the country with that and none in the DC metro area by me), and non-IMAX 70mm is next best. Regular IMAX is behind that.

Last edited:
After doing some research, bought a ticket for the 70mm version. Nolan said best is IMAX 70mm (but there are only ~25 screens in the country with that and none in the DC metro area by me), and non-IMAX 70mm is next best. Regular IMAX is behind that.
You anywhere near manassas and looking for someone to go with? My wife doesn’t want to see it….

I thought I’d get a thread going for what looks like the movie event of the summer in my eyes. The book that it was based on (American Prometheus) was amazing.

Who’s going? What format are you seeing it in? Was just looking for some tickets for Friday afternoon (off work and kid in camp) and need to decide, as Fandango has options for premium large format, 70MM, or IMAX. :popcorn:
Seeing it Saturday in 70 mm and if it’s great, I’ll get tickets to see it at the once place in SE Michigan showing it in 70mm imax.

Can’t wait to see this. But what a day for a double feature - Oppenheimer and Barbie open the same day.

Add Mission Impossible and it’s a fantastic July for the theater.
Only bad thing is it’s kicking Mission Impossible out of my imax before I can see it. Sucks.

Can’t wait to see this. But what a day for a double feature - Oppenheimer and Barbie open the same day.

Add Mission Impossible and it’s a fantastic July for the theater.
Only bad thing is it’s kicking Mission Impossible out of my imax before I can see it. Sucks.
Yeah, weird timing with these 3 movies, I guess Tom was pretty mad about losing all those imax screens.

Man, I am really actually looking forward to this movie and Barbie. I think.

I didn't know Greta Gerwig was the director of Barbie, and Nolan is a no-brainer. With Nolan at the helm, you can expect a thoughtful discussion of the sensitive subject matter.

I'll probably see neither in theaters, but would love to catch both when they stream.

The trailers for Barbie look utterly hilarious.

Last edited:
I'll see Oppenheimer when it comes to streaming. I don't generally care much for real-life stories, but this is an interesting one and I'll give it a watch.

I'm already burned out on Mattel movies. A film like Barbie might be a funny, quirky one-off in normal times, but they are going to flood the zone with two dozen more films exactly like this one, because of course every idea needs to be driven into the ground and ruined for all eternity.

I'm already burned out on Mattel movies.

I saw where the Independent over in England called the movie "subversive." Given that "subversive" usually means left-wing du jour ******** claptrap warmed over, I was not at all enthusiastic. But the trailers looked a little deeper and humorous than other obvious "subversive" films, and I'm willing to go with this one as probably singular in spirit and intelligence. Gerwig gives me hope for the movie.

The $23.99 per month Regal unlimited all access might be a good buy this month. I need to check the fine print, but it appears you can cancel after 3 months. At that price, it includes all formats.

his brother (who founded the Exploratorium in SF) lived up the street from my childhood home. he drove an old black sedan that my overly gentle and demure collie used to go ape-**** over every time he drove by- only person or thing on the planet he'd have the reaction towards.

will the movie cover that?
Post-credits scene - you'll have to stay an additional 37 minutes to see it

Thanks for the tip re: 70mm IMAX. I have been excited for this release and was just going to see it in my local theater. Looks like I'm going to be heading up to Fort Lauderdale to catch it at the IMAX there next week. Awesome!

Barbie reviews are excellent. It looks fun. Going to try and see both this weekend. Oppenheimer will require two pee breaks for me probably, smh
I wish they would go back to adding intermissions to movies this long. I get that it cuts down on the number of screenings but still 3 hours without a break to pee or sell more concessions sucks.

Was surprised to see how many more theaters were showing Barbie. Though both seem to be reviewed highly.

The closest IMAX 70mm theater to me is in Detroit...about 3 hours away. I think I will be hitting the regular theaters.

The closest IMAX 70mm theater to me is in Detroit...about 3 hours away. I think I will be hitting the regular theaters.
I procrastinated too much and won’t be seeing it in Detroit until mid August but I’m seeing it for sure Saturday. Based on early reviews and my general opinion of previous Nolan movies, I have no doubt I’ll want to it twice.

“ For all this and more, Oppenheimer deserves the title of masterpiece. It’s Christopher Nolan’s best film so far, a step up to a new level for one of our finest filmmakers, and a movie that burns itself into your brain.”

I like Nolan's stuff although Tenet was a huge letdown. I hope this movie's sound is good. A few of Nolan's films audio were jacked up when not shown in theaters with specific sound capabilities.

Man, I am really actually looking forward to this movie and Barbie. I think.

I didn't know Greta Gerwig was the director of Barbie, and Nolan is a no-brainer. With Nolan at the helm, you can expect a thoughtful discussion of the sensitive subject matter.

I'll probably see neither in theaters, but would love to catch both when they stream.

The trailers for Barbie look utterly hilarious.
I’d like to see Barbie too. I know my wife wants to as well. May see whether see that one in a theatre or not until streaming.

I felt a bit more strongly about seeing Oppenheimer in theatre, and my wife was not up for a 3 hour movie (even though I’ve been to Los Alamos with her and she is from New Mexico, which I thought would have been points in favor); so, I’m just doing Oppenheimer solo.

Excellent post, and thank you for the important info. You totally wrecked my plans.

There are ZERO of these fancy IMAX screens in Oregon and Washington state. (n)

Got my ticket for Saturday. Can’t remember the last time I went to see a movie in theaters on opening weekend. :popcorn:

I felt a bit more strongly about seeing Oppenheimer in theatre, and my wife was not up for a 3 hour movie (even though I’ve been to Los Alamos with her and she is from New Mexico, which I thought would have been points in favor); so, I’m just doing Oppenheimer solo.

Have fun. I might actually go tomorrow (not an uberplex, but a normal theater). If I do, I'll post non-spoiler thoughts. Actually, I won't, because everything I say tends to be a spoiler (I'm bad that way).

Still need to see Indy as well as Oppenheimer and Barbie. Good because I need to make use of my unlimited pass which I've been thinking about dropping.

This dude makes incredible movies

Memento, Insomnia, Dark Knight Trilogy, Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk

Incredible run

I have to say that seeing Inception in the theater was one of my most memorable film experiences. Just amazing.

And Dunkirk holds a special place for me given that my boss was one of the pilots and was the one to do the beach landing, no small feat in a vintage Spitfire.

Memento, Insomnia, Dark Knight Trilogy, Prestige, Inception, Interstellar, Dunkirk

Incredible run
Wow I had no clue he did this. I may have to rewatch now.

Interstellar is my favorite movie of all time. All those movies were fantastic. Even Tenet was decent but yeah probably his worst one.

Incredible run
Wow I had no clue he did this. I may have to rewatch now.

Interstellar is my favorite movie of all time. All those movies were fantastic. Even Tenet was decent but yeah probably his worst one.

Wave Planet scene was jaw dropping in theaters.

Users who are viewing this thread