What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (1 Viewer)

237 and change today.  No dramatic movement yet on the scale, but that’s not really the point at the moment.  Setting the pieces in place to make my move when the time is right.

Thanks GB.  Baby steps.  Went to bed at 8:30.  Got up in the 4s, hit the gym for leg day.  

Tonight I am taking some clients to the U.S. Open, we've got a private suite there.  They'll have beers.  I'll have club soda.  
I shouldn’t be helping you but when my wife did her Bale-like extreme dieting and dropped 60 lbs she obviously went several months without alcohol. To feel “normal” in social bar situations (she still went out on some girls’ nights) she’d order a club soda in the establishment’s most popular cocktail or mix-drink glass with a lime wedge. Said it made her feel like she was partaking and didn’t feel deprived or left out. 

After a weekend of managing my pizza and booze intake not ideally but a good Monday I’m at 234.8. 

Down almost 7 pounds in eight days. 

For added motivation I saw myself on TV yesterday standing next to my very thin friend and colleague. It wasn’t pretty. 

Day 88/100

The streak is broken. As I've posted here, I typically work nights, 7pm-7am. Every now and then, I do have a shift that goes from 11a-11p. Today was one of those days, but I didn't realize it until 10:50. Had to haul ### into work and jut got home a little while ago. I thought I would have time to go to the gym before work, but my scheduling eff up wrecked that. Was hoping to get a run in when I got home, but 1. It's raining, and b) I'm exhausted. So the streak ends today, but I'll be back on track with a trip to the gym tomorrow.

Bank: $870
Heck of a run and quite inspiring.

I've gotten fat, fattest I've ever been.

On July 24th I stepped on the scale and saw 293.1. I'm lucky that I met my wife at 180 because the only way a woman would look at me now is if they were a thrifty cannibal looking to feed a village. The SoCal thread shows the downward spiral that can occur in almost a blink of an eye from putting that kind of stress on my body.

Today, I'm at 265.2. My Grandfather was fat, my dad is fat and I'm fat. I need to break the cycle and model healthy eating and exercise habits for my kids. I need to be able to be in shape to play with my kids. 

I'm currently utilizing a 20/4 IF method that's been fairly sustainable. I've increased activity (walking 30 minutes to an hour on my lunch break and getting on an exercise bike for 20-30 minutes before bed). 

I have three kids 3 and younger. I need to make sure I'm around as long as I can for their sake and for mine.

Any recommendations for a smart watch/fitness tracker these days? I have a Galaxy phone and might just do with the Galaxy watch for simplicity. My buddy has the Apple watch but the screen keeps acting up on him - still tracks everything though. 

I see Amazon has a bunch of highly reviewed knock offs as well. 

On July 24th I stepped on the scale and saw 293.1. I'm lucky that I met my wife at 180 because the only way a woman would look at me now is if they were a thrifty cannibal looking to feed a village. The SoCal thread shows the downward spiral that can occur in almost a blink of an eye from putting that kind of stress on my body.

Today, I'm at 265.2. My Grandfather was fat, my dad is fat and I'm fat. I need to break the cycle and model healthy eating and exercise habits for my kids. I need to be able to be in shape to play with my kids. 

I'm currently utilizing a 20/4 IF method that's been fairly sustainable. I've increased activity (walking 30 minutes to an hour on my lunch break and getting on an exercise bike for 20-30 minutes before bed). 

I have three kids 3 and younger. I need to make sure I'm around as long as I can for their sake and for mine.
Welcome @Gawain - you can do it, lots of success stories in here and good advice.  Keep up the good work!

So I’m 40 hours in to my latest fast and honestly this kind of sucks.  I’m doing water only this time so my caffeine headaches are epic.  I’ve been pounding water bottles like crazy - finally took a couple of Advil’s even though I’ve been trying to not take those any more.  Breaking the fast tomorrow at 6pm so will get to 72 hours.

Scale was 160.4 this morning - even though I don’t really care about the number like gian and I were discussing I do weight often.  The fluctuations fascinate me.  

I’m finally going back to get my blood work redone on Friday.  A little anxious about the results - if my A1C is still borderline I will be pretty bummed but at least I know how to manage it.

How long have been doing the 20/4 IF?  Seems like it would be extremely tough to get used to at first. 

At 265, how many calories are you eating in a day?  Are you tracking on MFP or something?

Any recommendations for a smart watch/fitness tracker these days? I have a Galaxy phone and might just do with the Galaxy watch for simplicity. My buddy has the Apple watch but the screen keeps acting up on him - still tracks everything though. 

I see Amazon has a bunch of highly reviewed knock offs as well. 
I have a fitbit Ionic. Works fine for my needs (steps, distance, HR). It also apparently syncs with pandora, but I'm a spotify user.

I'm officially motivated again :lol:    Just got back from vacation - and saw some recent pics and how tried I was :barf:

How long have been doing the 20/4 IF?  Seems like it would be extremely tough to get used to at first. 

At 265, how many calories are you eating in a day?  Are you tracking on MFP or something?
I eased into the 20/4. Been doing it for 20 of the past 21 days. I've never been a big breakfast guy, but the place I work is loaded with snack food. I talked the guy who procures snacks into ordering 25lb bags of pistachios, because nuts are healthy, right? Would last three weeks between me and another guy. A couple bags of cheetos and a couple cookies and I was banging out 2,000 calories in work snack food. Buy hey, I was skipping lunch so I lied to myself and said I was golden. 

So I cut out all office snacking at first and would hit Pret for a couple hard boiled eggs and a half sandwich for a week and eat at 1 PM for a 16/8 IF. Then, a little after the first of the month I dropped lunch. Have a couple cups of black coffee during the day and 100 oz of water or so.

With only 4 hours to eat, I'm just tracking in my head. I'll try to do two meals, one around 7:30 (big chef/chicken salad), snack around 9:00, then I've been doing something microwavable from Costco. There's a bunch of Asian options under 500 calories. I'm between 1200-1800 for the day mostly. 

So I am now getting the sponsored ads all over my facebook newsfeed called "oneyearnobeer" and it chronicles a person who stopped drinking for a year for the health benefits. 

Thanks, Otis. 

Day 89/100

Got back on track with a day at the gym, followed by a 1mile run. Won't call it a cool down, because it was at 6.5mph pace. Felt pretty good. Pretty pissed at myself for breaking the steak yesterday. Just dumb. Back at work tonight.

Bank: $880

Slip up tonight. Gotta own this. 

Went to the US Open with a bunch of clients. Had a pretty sick suite almost on the court (some of our folks made ESPN). Through most of the Nadal match I drank seltzer. I finally broke down and had a few drinks after that. And some delicious food. And a cookie. 

:shrug:  

I figure as long as I don’t go to the US Open every night I should be ok. 

Day 89/100

Got back on track with a day at the gym, followed by a 1mile run. Won't call it a cool down, because it was at 6.5mph pace. Felt pretty good. Pretty pissed at myself for breaking the steak yesterday. Just dumb. Back at work tonight.

what you have done, is incredible.  don't get down on yourself for missing a day.  i know you had a very specific goal, but you have completely kicked  @ SS!!  keep it up!  

my goal is 16 workouts a month.  that's four times a week.  i'm already at 16 for the month.  :flex:  however, i'm still drinking too much beer   :bag:   

Slip up tonight. Gotta own this. 

Went to the US Open with a bunch of clients. Had a pretty sick suite almost on the court (some of our folks made ESPN). Through most of the Nadal match I drank seltzer. I finally broke down and had a few drinks after that. And some delicious food. And a cookie. 

:shrug:  

I figure as long as I don’t go to the US Open every night I should be ok. 
#### happens.  time to pay the piper.  do an hour of cardio.  cardio that makes you breath HARD.  cardio that leaves you drenched in sweat.  then it doesn't matter.  as long as you don't go to the US open every night.

60 hours in to my water only fast and I’m jonesing for some coffee and caffeine or really anything at this point - my body isn’t happy with my.  Shouldn’t be a problem to get to 72 hours and dinner tonight though.

@DA RAIDERS - nice job with the workouts - I’m still holding on the beers but thinking Labor Day will be a good time to indulge.

Hopped on the scale - 158.1 - haven’t tracked things for that long but this is probably the lightest I’ve been since college or maybe just after I graduated.  I’m in the ballpark of 90 pounds lost now. And today is my 20 year wedding anniversary - so my beautiful wife is literally waking up to a man she’s never seen before.

LET’S GO!!!!!

60 hours in to my water only fast and I’m jonesing for some coffee and caffeine or really anything at this point - my body isn’t happy with my.  Shouldn’t be a problem to get to 72 hours and dinner tonight though.

@DA RAIDERS - nice job with the workouts - I’m still holding on the beers but thinking Labor Day will be a good time to indulge.

Hopped on the scale - 158.1 - haven’t tracked things for that long but this is probably the lightest I’ve been since college or maybe just after I graduated.  I’m in the ballpark of 90 pounds lost now. And today is my 20 year wedding anniversary - so my beautiful wife is literally waking up to a man she’s never seen before.

LET’S GO!!!!!
Damn dude. Congrats (on the anniversary) and good luck (finishing the fast). Will be interested in your post fast report. 

Day 89/100

A streak means nothing in the grand scheme of things, the big thing here is that after a day off, you didnt take 2 days off.  This has become a way of life for you.  Thats much more important than working out for 100 straight days then taking a break or anything because you’d risk falling out of the routine.   So keep up the good work, and don’t worry about a streak!

LET’S GO!!!!!
Damn. Awesome. 

LET’S GO!!!!!
I promise I'll introduce myself first.

LET’S GO!!!!!
I've been thinking I'll probably have to do some sort of fast to lose the final pounds I don't want to be carrying.  I get a bad case of the hangrys though if I don't eat for several hours.  I don't think I could do a 24 hour fast, much less 72 hours.  Props to you for that.

How tall?

Thanks for the support, guys. I know the streak wasn't the end-all goal. I honestly can't believe I made it even close to 85+ days. But I was soclose!!!!!!! It's ok, tho. I'll carry on, even when the 100 days is over.

I've been thinking I'll probably have to do some sort of fast to lose the final pounds I don't want to be carrying.  I get a bad case of the hangrys though if I don't eat for several hours.  I don't think I could do a 24 hour fast, much less 72 hours.  Props to you for that.

How tall?
5’9”

On the fasting - I never thought I could either and I’d be lying if I said it was easy.  I do think that being low carb and fat-adapted helps as your body is more attuned to burning fat for fuel.  I did strictly Keto for a little while before I started and I’m only doing it to support my buddy who is trying to lose a lot.  

I’ve done a few 40 hour ones but this is the longest I’ve ever gone - can’t say I’m enjoying it.  Supposedly today is when it get easier but so far I’m not experiencing that.  But it’s just hunger and I know I’m fine so just try to distract myself with work.  My main goal in doing it is the longevity/atophagy benefits.  

Thanks for the support, guys. I know the streak wasn't the end-all goal. I honestly can't believe I made it even close to 85+ days. But I was soclose!!!!!!! It's ok, tho. I'll carry on, even when the 100 days is over.
Start another 100 days - I agree ditka, the streak is cool and all but I’m the grand scheme of things doing 86/86 vs. 85/86 doesn’t mean much.  If you continue to have that level of consistency you’ll reach your goals.

Came up a little short on the 72 hours - stopped at 66 as my kidneys were hurting, which concerned me.  I was strict water-only so I'm gussing my Sodium or Potassium was low.  If I do longer ones like that in future I need to consider bone broth.

I had a cup of soup and a protein bar and already feel back to normal.

Came up a little short on the 72 hours - stopped at 66 as my kidneys were hurting, which concerned me.  I was strict water-only so I'm gussing my Sodium or Potassium was low.  If I do longer ones like that in future I need to consider bone broth.

Genuine curiosity and maybe this has been answered but why would you try a 72 hour fast?

LET’S GO!!!!!
I think I found your 90 pounds that you lost :bag:   Time to cut out the booze (not you vodka :oldunsure: ) and cut the calories. 2 years in MI was really rough to me with all of the beer consumption :wall:

Genuine curiosity and maybe this has been answered but why would you try a 72 hour fast?
Short answer is health and longevity.  This article does a pretty good job of outlining the benefits:

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/fasting-benefits#section8

1. Promotes Blood Sugar Control by Reducing Insulin Resistance

2. Promotes Better Health by Fighting Inflammation

3. May Enhance Heart Health by Improving Blood Pressure, Triglycerides and Cholesterol Levels

4. May Boost Brain Function and Prevent Neurodegenerative Disorders

5. Aids Weight Loss by Limiting Calorie Intake and Boosting Metabolism

6  Increases Growth Hormone Secretion, Which Is Vital for Growth, Metabolism, Weight Loss and Muscle Strength

7. Could Delay Aging and Extend Longevity

8. May Aid in Cancer Prevention and Increase the Effectiveness of Chemotherapy

Lots of research going on but on a few items the science is clear on how it benefits you.  Unless you have medical conditions that prevent you from fasting then I’m not aware of any evidence that it’s bad for you.  

I won’t pretend to be an expert on it and I’m not one of those nuts that says it’s enjoyable - it’s not or hasn’t been for me.

Also lookup the benefits of atophagy - cellular cycling within the body.  Will try to post a link to that later.

I fasted for a few days at some point last year.  I felt amazing.  I honestly forget why I stopped.   Would like to do it again.  So much energy when your body doesn’t have to devote it to digesting crap constantly.  My stomach seemed to shrink quite a bit almost instantly, and I looked “lean” and not bloated (especially in my face, neck, etc.)

Gonna go home and have a drink and think about this.

I fasted for a few days at some point last year.  I felt amazing.  I honestly forget why I stopped.   Would like to do it again.  So much energy when your body doesn’t have to devote it to digesting crap constantly.  My stomach seemed to shrink quite a bit almost instantly, and I looked “lean” and not bloated (especially in my face, neck, etc.)

:lmao:

If I miss lunch I get a raging headache and feel lethargic and pissed off. 

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't know the parameters of what you're doing, but I like these tablets added to 16 or 32 oz of water on hikes, and they get you some potassium and sodium.  They do have 15 calories and 1 g of sugar, though.  However, the water after adding these tastes less like vomit than it does from most such products.

Though I rarely post, I've been reading along and want to congratulate AAA, Tecumseh, DA RAIDERs, and others who have done so well.  I hope Woz and Otis and everyone else will see the same success.

And I'm posting now because I realize I need to join in this somehow.  I spent several months earlier this year pretty depressed, and allowed myself to eat and drink whatever I wanted to compensate.  Then I got back in shape starting late spring, but have slipped back again the past six weeks or so.  I have no explanation or excuse for that slippage.  

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise starting Friday, so the next week or so will be a disaster, but when I return I need to hit it hard again.  I want to lose 15% of my body weight as an initial goal (or what I think my weight is - I've been too scared to check).  Not sure what a reasonable timeframe is for that, but I'm willing to make bets against any and all here in terms of whether I make it by an appointed time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know the parameters of what you're doing, but I like these tablets added to 16 or 32 oz of water on hikes, and they get you some potassium and sodium.  They do have 15 calories and 1 g of sugar, though.  However, the water after adding these tastes less like vomit than it does from most such products.

Though I rarely post, I've been reading along and want to congratulate AAA, Tecumseh, DA RAIDERs, and others who have done so well.  I hope Woz and Otis and everyone else will see the same success.

And I'm posting now because I realize I need to join in this somehow.  I spent several months earlier this year pretty depressed, and allowed myself to eat and drink whatever I wanted to compensate.  Then I got back in shape starting late spring, but have slipped back again the past six weeks or so.  I have no explanation or excuse for that slippage.  

I'm going on an Alaskan cruise starting Friday, so the next week or so will be a disaster, but when I return I need to hit it hard again.  I want to lose 15% of my body weight as an initial goal (or what I think my weight is - I've been too scared to check).  Not sure what a reasonable timeframe is for that, but I'm willing to make bets against any and all here in terms of whether I make it by an appointed time.
5 lbs/month, you can do this!

Having a really good week.  Protein, salad, no alcohol, multiple big workouts especially on the Peleton.  Man what a workout.  I used to be more of a breakfast guy.  Now with all of this IF stuff I'm OK with not eating in the morning if I'm not hungry.  Usually have coffee, water and then eat sometime near 12 when I'm hungry.  Going to Portugal/Spain in a month so would like to be in as good as shape as possible.

I am smoking a brisket on Saturday though....

I apologize.  I was developing a history of my challenges with work issues  and an increase to 217lbs and a 40 inch waist with very lttle consideration to your battles.  After years of experience, the secret is to cut down on alcohol and posess a cast iron pan.

i got you!  unknown wager excepted!  

i'm gonna try those tablets.  and if you, or anyone else,  has any other hydration solutions, let me know.  i'm going to also try osmo.  mostly, because i have a ridiculous man crush on peter sagan  :wub:

I’ll check those tablets out - this was the longest I’ve done one and my body towards the end wasn’t happy - after doing some reading I’m wondering if maybe Keto + extended fast was a little rough on my kidneys and maybe a stone was forming - I had some unusual back pain that went away after I broke the fast and then late last night came back.  Seems to be fine this morning.

Have fun on the cruise and good luck once you get back.  Curious what your plan will be - this thread is pretty good at helping with accountable and making fun of Otis.

Last thing - I’ll be thinking of you and Duck and some of our other hikers this Saturday when I do the first segment of the Appalachian Trail.

krista4 said:

Welcome to the party Krista, and good luck. 

PS I think I drank two bottles of wine by myself last night. 5 total between me and Mrs. O and her friend.  I feel ungood. 

PS it’s a long Labor Day weekend and so I’m restarting  after Labor Day. You guys are inspiring me to start with a fast after Labor Day and then from there I’ll blend into not drinking again and healthy eating. 

Users who are viewing this thread