What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Otis fad diet thread — yoga, fasting, and kevzilla walking on🚶‍♂️ (6 Viewers)

PS I think I drank two bottles of wine by myself last night. 5 total between me and Mrs. O and her friend.  I feel ungood. 

PS it’s a long Labor Day weekend and so I’m restarting  after Labor Day. You guys are inspiring me to start with a fast after Labor Day and then from there I’ll blend into not drinking again and healthy eating. 
This is my shocked face.

Interesting week for me.  Changing nothing that has been working, at least not that I realized, I suddenly shot up 3 pounds in one day and kept it for two more.  This morning that 3 pounds disappeared again.  According to my scale I lost three pounds sleeping.  Water weight?  Retention of waste?  Who can say. Monday is my "official weigh in day.  I wonder if I will record one or two pounds off this week.

I have noticed in the past that I seem to have a weekly cycle to my weight.  Mondays are often the best and Tuesdays and Wednesdays the worse.  No matter, this is a marathon with a long hike after, not a sprint.  Moment to moment matters are of little import.

Thinking my chore list this weekend will have me down by Monday.  I am toying with the idea of painting the house, obviously more than a weekend chore, but I can get a good jump on it if I am diligent.  I have not painted an exterior since 1986, though I did paint the interior twice now.  I painted to put myself through college and law school.  I guess I have to really come all that far since as I may be doing it again.  Should be decent exercise, as opposed to sleeping in my recliner, and the savings of the $5200 minus paint costs over the estimate I just got can go into my daughters college fund.

PS it’s a long Labor Day weekend and so I’m restarting  after Labor Day. You guys are inspiring me to start with a fast after Labor Day and then from there I’ll blend into not drinking again and healthy eating. 
We aren't inspiring you to do anything different. You're doing the exact same thing you always do, which is why you always fail.

@krista4, whatever you're thinking right now, keep in mind that success is driven by a lifestyle change. Identify your weaknesses/threats then make a long term plan to game plan and minimize their impact. There's a time and a place for cheats, but it's not until after the lifestyle change is complete.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Slow climb has me at around 255 and as high as 260(!) recently. Mostly attributable to work stress, and the feeling after successfully wrangling and getting the baby to bed that of course I deserve some ice cream and other miscellaneous treats. In positive news, the child is getting easier, and work stress is largely something I control so here's to changing. Going to try to bike to a gym today and get signed up. I have an erg at home but that is really boring. I find that if I workout it's easier for me to "not want to ruin it" by eating junk later. We shall see. Targeting 240 as the first goal. My playing weight was about 225 - 230 so I would be on my way. Mostly just want to feel healthier.  

I even had a dollop of macaroni and cheese at lunch yesterday with my otherwise healthy pulled pork and salad (office had lunch catered from a place with great Mac and cheese and I couldn’t pass up a little bit). Ran last night and kept it steady throughout rest of day. Drank about a dozen sparkling waters.

Slept great and got to work early today to see if I can’t get out of here at a normal person’s time and maybe walk a few holes before heading home for dinner. 

How’s that hangover Otis? 

My favorite is how he's going to then start blending in "not drinking again".
I'm going to give up drinking!

Until the next party. Then the next work dinner. Then the next work trip. Then Thanksgiving. Then the holiday parties. Then Christmas. Then New Year's.

But then I'm really going sober!

Until winter ends. Then the next work trip. Then spring break to an island. Then wine on the patio because it's a summer Monday. A summer Tuesday. A summer Wednesday.  Okay, summer.

(looks down at scale August 2020)

I also love how it's not just a glass of wine (or even 2). It's two freaking bottles. Insanity.

If anything, this thread has inspired me to avoid totally unnecessary calories that I dont need. Really felt like having ice cream last night but realized I wasn't even hungry. So I didnt. Not gonna act like I made amazing choices all day, but that's like 700 calories I didn't need.

So thanks Oats

I also love how it's not just a glass of wine (or even 2). It's two freaking bottles. Insanity.

If anything, this thread has inspired me to avoid totally unnecessary calories that I dont need. Really felt like having ice cream last night but realized I wasn't even hungry. So I didnt. Not gonna act like I made amazing choices all day, but that's like 700 calories I didn't need.

So thanks Oats
I'm hoping this is what it helps me see as well.  I spent many an evening over the last several years having a glass of wine or a beer accompanied with some snacky food (popcorn, Pirate's Booty, or even desserts or leftovers) just because it helped me zone out.  Both my wife and my days during the week are very stressful up until the moment we put the kids down at about 8:00 PM.  Then it's been our routine (provided I didn't need to do further work) to watch a TV show together, eat dinner, and, for me, continue snacking and zoning out until bedtime about 10:00.  So, in the past, basically I'd be relatively healthy throughout my day but just consume empty calories for two hours right before bed.

I'm really focusing now on trying to change this habit.  If I want to totally just sit and consume (because I'm just that drained), I'm changing it to a sparkling water and limiting myself to a Quest or Atkins bar or celery.  Ideally, though, my plan is to, after eating, still watch TV with my wife and relax but instead doing some stretching routines on the floor, air chip or putt, or some other such thing to distract me from wanting to eat not because I am hungry but because, in that moment, there's immediate satisfaction. 

I'm hoping this is what it helps me see as well.  I spent many an evening over the last several years having a glass of wine or a beer accompanied with some snacky food (popcorn, Pirate's Booty, or even desserts or leftovers) just because it helped me zone out.  Both my wife and my days during the week are very stressful up until the moment we put the kids down at about 8:00 PM.  Then it's been our routine (provided I didn't need to do further work) to watch a TV show together, eat dinner, and, for me, continue snacking and zoning out until bedtime about 10:00.  So, in the past, basically I'd be relatively healthy throughout my day but just consume empty calories for two hours right before bed.

I'm really focusing now on trying to change this habit.  If I want to totally just sit and consume (because I'm just that drained), I'm changing it to a sparkling water and limiting myself to a Quest or Atkins bar or celery.  Ideally, though, my plan is to, after eating, still watch TV with my wife and relax but instead doing some stretching routines on the floor, air chip or putt, or some other such thing to distract me from wanting to eat not because I am hungry but because, in that moment, there's immediate satisfaction. 
That was a big issue for me as well.  Eating late at night became a habit, and I would do it without even thinking.  There were times I wasn't hungry one bit, even still felt full, but the habit of picking up a snack when I vegged out at the end of the night was just ingrained.  Also happens on those rare weekend days that I get to just relax on the couch.  I would mindless eat because the brain connected the TV with food and I wouldn't give it a conscious thought.

I still have that instinct but really try to be conscious of whether or not I'm actually hungry (small treat or healthy snack) or just bored (sparkling water).

• Smile
Reactions: Zow

Slow and steady.  I like that you are not going crazy with some crazy idea to lose 20 pounds in a month.   Making  healthy choices is the key.  Giving in to temptation one day but not giving up will be the test.  Repeaatedl.   Good luck.  

So thanks Oats
Typical for what happens when trying to go cold turkey; when you fail you fail hard.   Most people last more than 2 days though.  :lol:  

Start with quitting the booze, as alcoholism will kill you faster than obesity.

celery, cucumber sticks or carrot sticks with lime and salt for snacks. If you can eat enough of that for it to be unhealthy, you will start growing long fluffy ears

This is me too. I eat low calories and nothing bad on the weekdays. It’s after dinner, 8-10pm, drinking and eating on the couch, that kills me. Every damn time. 

If I give up alcohol on weekdays and then just don’t ever eat after 8pm, I believe the 20lbs will fall off automatically. 

This is me too. I eat low calories and nothing bad on the weekdays. It’s after dinner, 8-10pm, drinking and eating on the couch, that kills me. Every damn time. 

If I give up alcohol on weekdays and then just don’t ever eat after 8pm, I believe the 20lbs will fall off automatically. 
From the sound of it, you consume almost all of your food after 8pm so you just might die if you followed this approach. 

Get rid of your couch.

I’ll check those tablets out - this was the longest I’ve done one and my body towards the end wasn’t happy - after doing some reading I’m wondering if maybe Keto + extended fast was a little rough on my kidneys and maybe a stone was forming - I had some unusual back pain that went away after I broke the fast and then late last night came back.  Seems to be fine this morning.

Have fun on the cruise and good luck once you get back.  Curious what your plan will be - this thread is pretty good at helping with accountable and making fun of Otis.

Last thing - I’ll be thinking of you and Duck and some of our other hikers this Saturday when I do the first segment of the Appalachian Trail.
AAA - you've been on the extreme end of this with great results and maybe those Medium shirts I sent you in the TShirt exchange the last time are too big now - but are you going over the top on this? Is this a sustainable way you want to live? Are you doing it for the weight aspect or a real belief that it's the best thing to do for your body and long term health? 

AAA - you've been on the extreme end of this with great results and maybe those Medium shirts I sent you in the TShirt exchange the last time are too big now - but are you going over the top on this? Is this a sustainable way you want to live? Are you doing it for the weight aspect or a real belief that it's the best thing to do for your body and long term health? 
His weight and activity level are right where they should be. But there is no great long term data for either ketosis or fasting, so he’s gambling a bit regarding overall health IMO. And 72 hour fasts requiring electrolyt tablets don’t sound ideal for quality of life either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your shirts still fit  - wore won 2 days ago!  Over the top?  I would say it's all relative.  But let me answer it this way instead:

Before I was this -  https://i.imgur.com/HQIAC1N.jpg  Warning - this ain't pretty :) and now I'm this - https://i.imgur.com/fIWXslO.jpg 

Before - I would sit behind a desk and eat and drink whatever I wanted all day.  I would come home and eat and drink whatever I wanted and then I would be too tired to do anything but watch TV and then I would sleep like #### because I was too fat.  And I would be unhappy and disgusted with myself and the cycle would continue.  I couldn't participate in anything athletic, I couldn't keep up with my kids and I couldn't walk or go up stairs without being winded.  Now - I run and hike regularly - play basketball with my son, and essentially do physically just about anything I want.  I have energy all day long.

Before - all my bio markers were bad - I was borderline diabetic.  I had high blood pressure.  I had high cholesterol.  My triglycerides were through the roof.  I had a fatty liver.  Now - every marker is good (A1C still a little iffy - actually getting blood work tomorrow). 

And I'll repeat what I've said in here a couple times - I feel like I have tools in my tool belt to maintain my weight and live life the way I want.

• Regular (Normal) diet is low carb
  • When I have a goal I use Keto (I used this a lot when I was actively losing weight which I haven't for a while now)
  • Typical "good" eating - if I choose - what I mean by this is what conventional thoughts are on health - vegetables, fruit, lean meats, nuts, beans - no processed crap
  • Intermittent Fasting (IF) - I do this 2-3 times a week and it's just part of my routine - don't even think about it or plan it ahead of time
  • Full day fasts - I don't do this for weight loss - I do it for longevity and health
  • Exercise - I ran 20 miles a few weeks ago;  I've hiked 10-15 miles several times recently;  I swim, bike and run;  I lift a couple times a week
Do I think I'm over the top?  Nope - I think I'm living how everyone should be.

His weight and activity level are right where they should be. But there is no great long term data for either ketosis or fasting, so he’s gambling a bit regarding overall health IMO. And 72 hour fasts requiring electrolyt tablets don’t sound ideal for quality of life either.
Couple of thoughts here - I've said all along I'm willing to listen to any kind of scientific evidence to help me get healthy, feeling good and looking good.  I've taken to heart posts my you and others and also from talking to a dietician on doing things like eating more healthy carbs and fiber.  As my weight loss slowed down and my goals were shifting I move away from regularly/consistently doing Keto.  I don't need a study to tell me that Keto helped me lose weight and that low carb eating helps keep my weight steady and keeps me from having cravings - I know it does.  The problem is nobody is going to come up with a diet that is the perfect diet.  And most people need something they can stick to and that they see results from when they do it.  Keto did that for me.  If another type of diet works for someone else then that is great - do what works for you.  But more importantly, IMO - find a sustainable lifestyle and don't be "on a diet" - have a diet that works for you and make sense.  I no longer diet - I use my tools to achiever my goals.  In a few weeks I'll go to the beach and basically eat and drink everything I want.  I had a huge steak, creamed spinach and rolls for dinner last night - carrot cake for dessert.  And I'm about to go run 4-5 miles.

As for fasting - well, that 72 hours was to support a buddy - I did it last minute with no intentions of doing before he talked about it.  I do 1-2 day fasts and think they are good for the body.  Even if they aren't, I know they aren't bad for me and I know it teaches me discipline and to not be so focused on eating.  It's a little liberating to just not eat.  It also kind of sucks being hungry - but our ancestors didn't eat 3 meals a day so I think I'm ok to skip a few meals every once in a while.  Eat to live, don't live to eat.

Couple of thoughts here - I've said all along I'm willing to listen to any kind of scientific evidence to help me get healthy, feeling good and looking good.  I've taken to heart posts my you and others and also from talking to a dietician on doing things like eating more healthy carbs and fiber.  As my weight loss slowed down and my goals were shifting I move away from regularly/consistently doing Keto.  I don't need a study to tell me that Keto helped me lose weight and that low carb eating helps keep my weight steady and keeps me from having cravings - I know it does.  The problem is nobody is going to come up with a diet that is the perfect diet.  And most people need something they can stick to and that they see results from when they do it.  Keto did that for me.  If another type of diet works for someone else then that is great - do what works for you.  But more importantly, IMO - find a sustainable lifestyle and don't be "on a diet" - have a diet that works for you and make sense.  I no longer diet - I use my tools to achiever my goals.  In a few weeks I'll go to the beach and basically eat and drink everything I want.  I had a huge steak, creamed spinach and rolls for dinner last night - carrot cake for dessert.  And I'm about to go run 4-5 miles.

As for fasting - well, that 72 hours was to support a buddy - I did it last minute with no intentions of doing before he talked about it.  I do 1-2 day fasts and think they are good for the body.  Even if they aren't, I know they aren't bad for me and I know it teaches me discipline and to not be so focused on eating.  It's a little liberating to just not eat.  It also kind of sucks being hungry - but our ancestors didn't eat 3 meals a day so I think I'm ok to skip a few meals every once in a while.  Eat to live, don't live to eat.
I agree with much of what you posted, especially the last sentence. So please don't take this as an attack on your choices.

If your low carbohydrate/fasting + exercise combo keeps you energetic and a healthy weight, you're way ahead of the game. But I think the same results are achievable with a more conventional, plant-based diet backed by better long term health data. As I've mentioned before, no long-lived population eats ketogenically, nor do they regularly fast, to my knowledge. While low carbohydrate diets seem to be on par for vascular disease and diabetes, I'm concerned any diet emphasizing animal products will ultimately increase cancer risk. There are many other variables, of course, but I'd rather err on the side of those in the blue zones than reinventing the nutrition wheel.

I’ll check those tablets out - this was the longest I’ve done one and my body towards the end wasn’t happy - after doing some reading I’m wondering if maybe Keto + extended fast was a little rough on my kidneys and maybe a stone was forming - I had some unusual back pain that went away after I broke the fast and then late last night came back.  Seems to be fine this morning.

Have fun on the cruise and good luck once you get back.  Curious what your plan will be - this thread is pretty good at helping with accountable and making fun of Otis.

Last thing - I’ll be thinking of you and Duck and some of our other hikers this Saturday when I do the first segment of the Appalachian Trail.
Nice!!  Which segment are you doing?  I've done bits and pieces of the PCT, but not a purposeful segment.  Had plans to do Section J a couple of years ago, but then my friend who was going backed out. :(   It would be a good goal to re-establish next year.

You have to break your addiction to not only alcohol, but tomorrow as well.
This is concise and excellent advice for me as well.

We aren't inspiring you to do anything different. You're doing the exact same thing you always do, which is why you always fail.

@krista4, whatever you're thinking right now, keep in mind that success is driven by a lifestyle change. Identify your weaknesses/threats then make a long term plan to game plan and minimize their impact. There's a time and a place for cheats, but it's not until after the lifestyle change is complete.
Very helpful post - thank you!

I have only one area where I need a huge lifestyle change.  My lifestyle, save the inexplicable past several weeks and the depression-fueled stuff early this year that was completely situational, is generally pretty good.  I get a lot of exercise and generally eat well in that I enjoy vegetables, seafood, and good-for-you stuff.  I don't keep any garbage in the house.

The area where I need a huge, lasting change is alcohol.  I love wine and drink waaaaay too much of it.  My plan is to limit myself to x drinks per week.  I considered a "cold turkey," which I've done before, but I think it needs to be a more sustainable, moderate-or-less intake instead.  I'm open to any suggestions from people here, though.

The other, less significant area is a healthier diet, though as I mentioned I am somewhat OK on this.  Still, could stand less pizza.  Glorious, glorious pizza.  That is my huge food vice.  And what someone mentioned about not eating, or stopping, when full is my problem here, too.  I will eat pizza until I hate myself.

Oh, one more item:  earlier this year I gave up all caffeine, which for me included diet soda and iced tea.  I don't expect the iced tea is bad for me, but I know the soda is.  Part of my plan is to give it all up again.  I loved how I felt with no caffeine, after getting through the first month or so.  I fell back into it because I went on a trip where I got druuuuunk and wanted Diet Coke to rouse me the next day.  Before I knew it, I was drinking that crap regularly again.  It all fits together, in a way.

Longtime lurker, first time poster. Slow climb has me at around 255 and as high as 260(!) recently. Mostly attributable to work stress, and the feeling after successfully wrangling and getting the baby to bed that of course I deserve some ice cream and other miscellaneous treats. In positive news, the child is getting easier, and work stress is largely something I control so here's to changing. Going to try to bike to a gym today and get signed up. I have an erg at home but that is really boring. I find that if I workout it's easier for me to "not want to ruin it" by eating junk later. We shall see. Targeting 240 as the first goal. My playing weight was about 225 - 230 so I would be on my way. Mostly just want to feel healthier.  
Biked to the gym around noon where they said I had to fill out a form online and couldn't do it right then :shuked:. Nevertheless, biked home, signed up, and went back after the boy was down for a quick upper body lift. 💪 

Oh, one more item:  earlier this year I gave up all caffeine, which for me included diet soda and iced tea.  I don't expect the iced tea is bad for me, but I know the soda is.  Part of my plan is to give it all up again.  I loved how I felt with no caffeine, after getting through the first month or so.  I fell back into it because I went on a trip where I got druuuuunk and wanted Diet Coke to rouse me the next day.  Before I knew it, I was drinking that crap regularly again.  It all fits together, in a way.
A few of us have given up caffiene.   It's tough at first but it's great to not need caffiene to get started in the morning and not to have the caffiene crashes.  

I agree with much of what you posted, especially the last sentence. So please don't take this as an attack on your choices.

If your low carbohydrate/fasting + exercise combo keeps you energetic and a healthy weight, you're way ahead of the game. But I think the same results are achievable with a more conventional, plant-based diet backed by better long term health data. As I've mentioned before, no long-lived population eats ketogenically, nor do they regularly fast, to my knowledge. While low carbohydrate diets seem to be on par for vascular disease and diabetes, I'm concerned any diet emphasizing animal products will ultimately increase cancer risk. There are many other variables, of course, but I'd rather err on the side of those in the blue zones than reinventing the nutrition wheel.
We've been through most of this so at the risk of repeating myself:

• Keto <> eating animal protein - you can be Keto and a vegetarian, just like you can be vegetarian and fat and/or unhealthy
  • Cancer risk increase is very negligible and in most (not all) cases confounders were not accounted for.
  • Seems to me most of our ancestors absolutely intermittent fasted even if they didn't call it that - 3 square meals a day is most marketing bull ####
  • Fasting also seems pretty common, especially in religions - and most in religions that have relatively speaking thinner, healthier people

But let me add one more thing that I think I said to @Terminalxylem before - we are mostly splitting hairs here.  We agree on like 90-95% of this - no sugar, no processed foods, whole foods, drink lots of water, gets lots of rest, stay active.  We do the rest of people a disservice when we argue the margins and confuse people or make them think that nobody has any answers.

AAA is fighting trim, but for a lardazz like myself, there are very promising results about fasting shocking the body out of insulin resistance.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

I'm not sure I'm ready for a 36 hour, but I like the idea of 20 hour fasts to start undoing the resistance to insulin ten years of lousy eating has put on me.

But let me add one more thing that I think I said to @Terminalxylem before - we are mostly splitting hairs here.  We agree on like 90-95% of this - no sugar, no processed foods, whole foods, drink lots of water, gets lots of rest, stay active.  We do the rest of people a disservice when we argue the margins and confuse people or make them think that nobody has any answers.
Agreed. I chime in to remind people that carbohydrates aren’t the devil. I’ve never eaten anywhere near low carbohydrate, but have maintained a healthy weight by doing most of the other things you mention. I just can’t get on board with any diet which promotes eliminating legumes and some fruits in favor of things like lard, bacon and red meat. 

Agreed. I chime in to remind people that carbohydrates aren’t the devil. I’ve never eaten anywhere near low carbohydrate, but have maintained a healthy weight by doing most of the other things you mention. I just can’t get on board with any diet which promotes eliminating legumes and some fruits in favor of things like lard, bacon and red meat. 
Agreed but to be fair - the people pushing that last part are not necessarily the "experts - it's the people doing it.  You can eat a very clean Keto and as I mentioned you can eat vegetarian if you want.  Just because it's allowed doesn't mean it's advisable.  But it is a great added benefit because bacon is delicious  ;)

AAA is fighting trim, but for a lardazz like myself, there are very promising results about fasting shocking the body out of insulin resistance.
https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/intermittent-fasting-surprising-update-2018062914156

I'm not sure I'm ready for a 36 hour, but I like the idea of 20 hour fasts to start undoing the resistance to insulin ten years of lousy eating has put on me.
Good list here from your link.

4 ways to use this information for better health:

• Avoid sugars and refined grains. Instead, eat fruits, vegetables, beans, lentils, whole grains, lean proteins, and healthy fats (a sensible, plant-based, Mediterranean-style diet).
  • Let your body burn fat between meals. Don’t snack. Be active throughout your day. Build muscle tone.
  • Consider a simple form of intermittent fasting. Limit the hours of the day when you eat, and for best effect, make it earlier in the day (between 7 am to 3 pm, or even 10 am to 6 pm, but definitely not in the evening before bed).
  • Avoid snacking or eating at nighttime, all the time.

are you a vegetarian?  

i hear ya @krista4  my major downfall, diet wise, is booze.  with zero booze, i think i would go down to 175.  easy.  perhaps our wager, should involve booze?   :cry:   

and how long would one expect to do section j of the pct?  

i hear ya @krista4  my major downfall, diet wise, is booze.  with zero booze, i think i would go down to 175.  easy.  perhaps our wager, should involve booze?   :cry:   

and how long would one expect to do section j of the pct?  
A booze-related challenge would be good.  It seems like you do a lot better at it than I do already, though.  I'm open!

We were planning five days for Section J, though the usual is more like 6-7, and of course I know some crazies who have done it in 3-4 days.  It's 75 miles, and ~16,000-17,000 feet in elevation gain and loss depending upon which direction you go.  Wanna come?

A booze-related challenge would be good.  It seems like you do a lot better at it than I do already, though.  I'm open!

We were planning five days for Section J, though the usual is more like 6-7, and of course I know some crazies who have done it in 3-4 days.  It's 75 miles, and ~16,000-17,000 feet in elevation gain and loss depending upon which direction you go.  Wanna come?
not really.  i drink way too much.  i go through fits and spurts.  mostly due to stress.  which i know is a BS cop out.

and yes!  the distance worries me a bit, but 10 to 15 miles a day, seems doable.  and my knees would prefer to go uphill.  

not really.  i drink way too much.  i go through fits and spurts.  mostly due to stress.  which i know is a BS cop out.

and yes!  the distance worries me a bit, but 10 to 15 miles a day, seems doable.  and my knees would prefer to go uphill.  
Unfortunately you have to do both the up and the down. ;)   The distance doesn't bother me, but the 3000+ average up and down per day is harder, given the heavy packs for an extended backpack.  Wouldn't want to start until mid-August at earliest, so we have lots of time to train.

@DA RAIDERS, what kind of drinking are you doing now?  Let's figure out a way we can challenge each other to reset ourselves on it.  For instance, last night I drank two glasses of wine at home alone because I was bored.  Then Mr. krista got off work and wanted to go out, so I had three more glasses out with him.  Just ridiculous.  Every night is not like that, but more of them than I really want to admit.*

*probably twice a week.  There, I admitted that.  And on nights that aren't nearly as bad as that, I'm still usually having a couple of glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread