What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packers interested in Brian Westbrook (1 Viewer)

Max Power

Footballguy
The Packers are reportedly showing interest in free agent Brian Westbrook.

Reporter Tom Silverstein isn't sure about Green Bay's level of interest in Westbrook, but two sources say he's definitely on GM Ted Thompson's radar. In Green Bay, Westbrook would battle Brandon Jackson to be the team's third-down back. Jackson can pass block, but offers little as a ball carrier.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Related: Packers

If Westbrook is medically cleared, there is nothing wrong with him being in a 2back system, or a guy that will carry the ball maybe 5-7 times a game in relief, catch some balls, be in their on 3rd down...

Green Bay RB2...100/450/2, 32/250/2...700-800 total yds, a few Tds, 30 something receptions in a very explosive offense, perhaps more. Green Bay is as good as any place for this guy to land.

He is done.

I hope the Packers don't sign him.
In what terms, dynasty? Ha can't be part of a 2 back attack anymore? You can run him down at this point? He had some concussions, he's had some other setbacks over his career but I think he could be just fine as an RB2, and if I were a GB fan I wouldn't mind if they brought in Westy and then didn't have to burn a pick at RB until maybe the 4th round or later.

Meh...I think he has a bit more upside than Ahman does at this point...but equal amount of risk to go with the upside.

As with so much else, it depends on the cost, but I generally think this a good idea if he clears physicals.

When healthy, he is still quicker than any RB on the roster and if he gets injured they always have Jackson to fall back on. He also has better hands than any of them. Heck, line him up as a WR with empty backfield and send he and Finley out in space against LBs.

Westbrook could be worth 2 more 3rd down conversions a game.

The more I think about this, I don't really know where he would fit. Jackson will obviously make the team and play. I can only see this happening if Westbrook will take a really low offer. And retirement makes more sense than that.

The more I think about this, I don't really know where he would fit. Jackson will obviously make the team and play. I can only see this happening if Westbrook will take a really low offer. And retirement makes more sense than that.
I assume they would consider Westbrook an upgrade over Jackson and make him the 3rd down back and Jackson would get demoted to the 3rd string.

:goodposting: Unless he signs for dirt cheap it's pointless to sign an old broke down rb to any kind of significant contract.If he takes the vet minimum then ok, otherwise huge waste of money.

I have no inside info or anything but a lot of the thing being said on philly radio is that the concussions aren't the biggest concern with Westbrook his knees are.

Everything I've read says his knees are shot. Not to mention the concussion issues. I doubt it will work out, but can't blame any team for giving him a shot. One hell of a RB in his prime.

I think this would be a terrific move for the Packers. They're not going to have to pay much for him, he wants to play for a team that can contend, they have an opening for his skill set to complement Ryan Grant, and most importantly it's a system/playbook that Westy will be immediately comfortable with. I love it as a situation where he gets 7-10 touches per game and can obviously shoulder more of the load if injury opens that door :hophead:

Ditkaless Wonders said:
I think he is worth exploring as a third down back.
he would be much better than jackson. As a vikes fan I hope they stick with jackson and pass on westy.

My guess is if MN has not made a move on him since losing Taylor after the made a run at LT, there is something wrong with him. Chilly and reid have a long history together and it wouldn't surprise me one bit if reid told Chilly he is done. These coaches may compete against one another, but it sure seems like they look out for one another every chance they get.

Jason Wood said:
I think this would be a terrific move for the Packers. They're not going to have to pay much for him, he wants to play for a team that can contend, they have an opening for his skill set to complement Ryan Grant, and most importantly it's a system/playbook that Westy will be immediately comfortable with. I love it as a situation where he gets 7-10 touches per game and can obviously shoulder more of the load if injury opens that door :confused:
Nice post Jason, I came in here as an Eagles fan to post the same exact thing. Seems to be a great fit, playing on grass helps too.

Jason Wood said:
I think this would be a terrific move for the Packers. They're not going to have to pay much for him, he wants to play for a team that can contend, they have an opening for his skill set to complement Ryan Grant, and most importantly it's a system/playbook that Westy will be immediately comfortable with. I love it as a situation where he gets 7-10 touches per game and can obviously shoulder more of the load if injury opens that door :thumbup:
Nice post Jason, I came in here as an Eagles fan to post the same exact thing. Seems to be a great fit, playing on grass helps too.
It's not like Phili is any better then gb at the rb position. Take him back if he's still got anything left and he'll sign for peanuts.

Jason Wood said:
I think this would be a terrific move for the Packers. They're not going to have to pay much for him, he wants to play for a team that can contend, they have an opening for his skill set to complement Ryan Grant, and most importantly it's a system/playbook that Westy will be immediately comfortable with. I love it as a situation where he gets 7-10 touches per game and can obviously shoulder more of the load if injury opens that door :thumbup:
Exactly my thoughts when I read this today. Personally, I think he's got more left in the tank than LT2. His YPC haven't fallen off the cliff in a similar way, anyway. I think he's everything the Packers are looking for in a 3rd down compliment to Grant. As far as Brandon Jackson is concerned, he's history if the Packers sign Westy. In a fair competition with Lumpkin and whomever else they draft/sign as a UDFA Jackson is on shaky ground...

I'm not sure what is in this for Westbrook. Maybe he just wants to keep playing, but a year of camps and practices, to be a backup, is a ton of work for - at this point - not much money. He's saying he wants to go into broadcasting. And his contract would be guaranteed as a vested vet if he's on the opening day roster. I guess we'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread