What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Packers sign Boerigter (1 Viewer)

LINK

Packers add receiver

Former Chief Boerigter a big target

By TOM SILVERSTEIN

tsilverstein@journalsentinel.com

Posted: March 26, 2006

Orlando, Fla. - It's not a T.O.-headline-grabbing deal that will send Brett Favre running to the telephone to tell the Green Bay Packers he'll be back for another year, but the Packers made another move to strengthen an area on offense that suffered last season.

The Packers agreed to terms Sunday on a one-year deal with Kansas City free-agent wide receiver Marc Boerigter, giving them another big target for the pure West Coast style of offense new coach Mike McCarthy intends to play. Boerigter's agent, Craig Domann said his client would sign the contract today.

The 6-foot-3, 220-pound Boerigter ran an impressive 4.47-second 40-yard dash during a 2000 pre-draft workout, and in a workout last week with the Packers showed no effects of a torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his right knee during the 2004 season.

Though over the past three years he has not been able to match the numbers he put up in two seasons in the Canadian Football League (111 receptions for 2,023 yards and 19 touchdowns) and a remarkable rookie season in the NFL (20 receptions for 420 yards and eight touchdowns), the Packers value the 27-year-old's size and speed.

"I'm very excited about him," McCarthy said. "He had a great workout. He's a big receiver who can run. You can't have enough of those guys. He's a guy who has a chance to play all three positions."

Since McCarthy took over, the Packers have put a premium on size at wide receiver. They cut ties with 5-9, 183-pound Antonio Chatman and 5-11, 192-pound Andrae Thurman and gave 6-2, 213-pound Rod Gardner a $100,000 signing bonus and $700,000 base salary to re-sign.

As they stand now, their receiving corps includes 6-3, 215-pound Javon Walker, 6-1, 219-pound Robert Ferguson, 6-1, 196-pound Terrence Murphy, Gardner and Boerigter. At 6-0, 190 pounds, Donald Driver, the team's leading receiver last season, is the smallest of those expected to make the roster.

The Packers still don't know if Murphy will be able to play again because of a career-threatening neck condition and they are dealing with an unhappy Walker, who wants his contract reworked after missing all of last season with a torn ACL. Adding Boerigter provides them with a modicum of insurance if the Packers don't have either or both.

The Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots both were in the running for Boerigter, who last year had a disappointing season with the Chiefs. After recovering from the torn ACL, Boerigter slipped down the depth chart and was used mostly on special teams. He caught just eight passes for 119 yards and no touchdowns in limited play at wide receiver.

"I talked to him briefly about that," McCarthy said of Boerigter's lost 2005 season. "All he said was that they went in a different direction."

McCarthy said the injury could have been a factor given it sometimes takes skill players more than a year to come back fully from a major knee tear.

"You see it over and over with injuries like that," McCarthy said. "From what we saw, he ran well in his workout."

As a whole, the Packers haven't added much on offense from the outside, but they have retained a number of their own free agents, including running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport, fullback William Henderson and tackle Kevin Barry. The only ones to leave were third-string quarterback Craig Nall and third-down running back Tony Fisher.

As Favre watches from afar, there's nothing extraordinary about what the Packers have done this off-season to improve their team, but they have put themselves in position to have equal or better talent at the skill positions as two years ago, when they ranked third overall in total offense. Where there are still major question marks is the offensive line given the failure to replace the three veterans who made up the interior of the line two seasons ago.

The Packers are still in the market for offensive linemen and will continue to monitor free agency to see if there is anyone who can help them. At this point, the field of available centers and guards is spotty at best.

As the Packers' top brass convenes in Orlando, Fla., this week for the annual owners meeting, they are hoping to hear word of Favre's decision to return for another season. Last week, they set a non-binding deadline of next Saturday for Favre to inform them of his decision, but there doesn't appear to be much hang-wringing over the delay.

Part of that is because there have been signs that Favre is leaning toward coming back. The fact he has taken this long to make a decision is an indication to many that he's hungry to play again and the fact the Packers haven't taken any steps to secure help at the position makes it seem as though they're expecting him back.

In the meantime, the Packers are going to spend this week addressing their defense, starting with visits from cornerback Charles Woodson and linebacker Barrett Green, both free agents. Woodson's signing would go a long way toward convincing people the Packers are serious about improving, but it remains to be seen if they're willing to meet his price.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are the only other team known to have interest in Woodson, a four-time Pro Bowl selection, and they are recruiting him as a safety. Woodson, who turns 30 in October, missed 10 games because of a broken right leg and played mostly safety for the Oakland Raiders last season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Low risk...with possible good reward (if it was cheap and with TT doing business I bet it was).

If he can return from the injury and come back to the form he showed his first year in KC...this could be a good pickup.

Not holding my breath just yet.

the second step to Walker going buh bye... with Gardner, Beorigter, Driver, isn't there another wr there? I could see GB going with a pass catching TE at the draft, (instead of hawk?) if SF let Davis get past them... maybe moulds (although Texans and Philly look to be the players) .. now with peterson gone, do the 9ers move to hawk? even tho one is inside one is out?

the second step to Walker going buh bye... with Gardner, Beorigter, Driver, isn't there another wr there? I could see GB going with a pass catching TE at the draft, (instead of hawk?) if SF let Davis get past them... maybe moulds (although Texans and Philly look to be the players) .. now with peterson gone, do the 9ers move to hawk? even tho one is inside one is out?
I like Boerigter, but if anyone thinks he replaces Walker... :loco: Terrence Murphy might be done, if he returns though, he could be huge if Walker leaves.

What's up with Craig Bragg?

What's up with Craig Bragg?
Cut from practice squad November 1st. Not with any NFL team that I know of.
Wow. I can't figure out why Bragg can't catch on with someone. He really must have fallen off the table from his college performances.

Boe was the most overhyped played by most KC fans the last 3 seasons. I am glad Carl didnt waste the $$$ to re-sign him. He will always be a part of the NFL record book though, with that 99-yard TD he had from Trent Green vs, SD in 2002.

My prediction: He doesnt make the top 5 WR's for you all in Green Bay.

Boe was the most overhyped played by most KC fans the last 3 seasons. I am glad Carl didnt waste the $$$ to re-sign him. He will always be a part of the NFL record book though, with that 99-yard TD he had from Trent Green vs, SD in 2002.

My prediction: He doesnt make the top 5 WR's for you all in Green Bay.
:yes: However, he will be a good addition to special teams.

Don't the Niners pick right after the Pack? I have been thinking lately that I could see TT going Davis at #5 and suprising some people. Hell, he took Collins in teh second round last year, and people fell over themselves saying what a bad pick it was. Of course, it turned out it was a brilliant pick.

LINK

As a whole, the Packers haven't added much on offense from the outside, but they have retained a number of their own free agents, including running backs Ahman Green and Najeh Davenport, fullback William Henderson and tackle Kevin Barry. The only ones to leave were third-string quarterback Craig Nall and third-down running back Tony Fisher.
When did he sign? I was still hoping he would eventually land in Philly.

Don't the Niners pick right after the Pack? I have been thinking lately that I could see TT going Davis at #5 and suprising some people. Hell, he took Collins in teh second round last year, and people fell over themselves saying what a bad pick it was. Of course, it turned out it was a brilliant pick.
I am warming to that...just do not think TT will want to pay another TE that kind of money with I think 5 on the roster right now...though two will not make it to the season anyway...

This guy is hyped up every year and then does nothing....... :sleep:
Got hyped the last 2 years after the one good year...got hurt...I do not think anyone is hyping this more than a depth signing and the possibility that he can help stretch the field with his size and speed.

:Don Beebe Part II:
Same:They are White

Different:

One is tall one is short

One had awesome hands one doesn't

One is fast one was a 3rd down reciever

One had a good/solid career one is hanging on

One was very tough the other always injured

Skin color does not mean they are the same

Also,

Larry Bird does not equal Adam Morrison

Different:

One is tall one is short

Also,

Always injured?Hanging on?

First...he is 27...I do not think hanging on as much as trying to find his place in this league.

As for injuries...I believe he had one major injury that he has been recovering from...not like a chronic thing.

Which one is the 3rd down WR...cause Bo certainly is fast.

Could be a sleeper. It is sounding more and more to me Walker is history. Wonder how Favre feels about all this at this time? Favre loves to throw the ball up for grabs and this could make Boerigter more effective then most people think.

Last edited by a moderator:

Different:

One is tall one is short

Also,

???Ahem ... both were/are very fast (Beebe ran 4.3 in full pads and was one of the fastest in the NFL, Boerigter runs sub 4.4 IIRC as a Chiefs fan), both were more special teamers than anything, and they will have very similar careers in that neither will exceed 3,500 yards for their career despite high hopes (Bebee had 3,416 with 23 career receiving TDs in 9 years; Boerigeter has a career record of 697 yards and 8 TDs in 4 often injured seasons).

Further, both have been plagued with nagging injuries during their career (Boerigter more so, but Beebe played 16 games once in 9 seasons ... a feat Boerigter has also accomplished only once) and both have spent a lot of time playing out of the slot.

Their height difference (5'11'' vs 6'3") is the only real significant thing separating them IMO ... they are both special teamers who rely a lot on speed vs. natural athletic ability ...

:)

And just why does Adam Morrison not = Larry Bird?

:lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread