What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Part time work suggestions? (1 Viewer)

Can anyone point me to one of these $200K/year engineering jobs?
You live in Michigan right? They aren't there. HTH.
Any of the big three or many of the suppliers to the big three. I worked on the Leer BK and was flabbergasted at the salaries of their employees. Believe me these guys and gals were not jumping ship either.
Maybe I'm out of touch with salaries in my field and area but I don't think Senior engineers are regularly pulling in 200K around hereMaybe some VP/Director types, but this thread makes it sound like you can go from SAHM to 200K off a 10 year layoff at the drop of a hat
Honestly, the Senior Engineer/VP types I worked with were pulling in $300-$400K before stock options. Not sure how specialized they were but there were a ton of them. My cousin also works in the field for Raytheon designing missiles (New Mexico). He makes well north of that as well.

Are there any nearby colleges? A lot of campuses fill full-time job positions with two part-timers. There might be a few openings during the day that are filled in the evenings by students who have classes during the day or folks who work other jobs. Most campuses will have positions that only run when fall and spring semesters are in session, so your wife would have a lot of non-work time overlapping with the kids' school breaks.

Consulting

Teaching

Fiver : Site where she can do odd jobs for cash.

My Wife is a PT and I am in the same boat. She doesn't work full time as it is but wants to hover around 20hrs from home. I have been thinking of getting her into flipping stuff on eBay(?) maybe. Also threw the teaching a class in PT school option at her. Masters degree and she wants to stay at home ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you in a decent sized city? Check the theater/arena group(s). My wife used to supervise the ushers as a 2nd job. It was an easy gig for a few hundo/month. Mostly nights and weekends and set your own hours. She had the occasional Joel Osteen Fan Club convention to work but also got some college basketball, stand up, concerts, plays etc.

She doesn't like to do what she was trained in and I'm assuming made good money at....what does like to do?

We can give suggestions all day and it would mean nothing. Is she outgoing? Good/bad with people?

What are her hobbies?

Does she like kids?

WIth a Masters she could teach at a Jr. College. Summers off for sure. Could even get on at a university as a TA or something similar. Also Vo-Techs hire a lot around here.

Does she like the outdoors? I'm sure there are plenty of upcoming seasonal jobs at some state parks.

what if she finds a job and likes it but doesnt like like it you know what i mean then what i will hang up and listen while i take it to the bank brohan

Can anyone point me to one of these $200K/year engineering jobs?
Get a job as an Engineer at a nuclear plant (palisades or d.c. cook)...suck up a relatively low salary for 3-5 years (70-80k /yr plus approx 10% bonus). Push to get into a Senior Reactor Operator License class, finish class in two years and get a license to operate the plant as SRO (total salary increases to 150k-160k), spend 4 years on shift and qualify shift engineer and shift manager (total salary will break 200k)Be prepared to work hard and study, other than that...doable in about 10 years for an engineer...we have a couple 32 year old engineer shift managers. You can take the same path as a plant operator (Union) with an Engineering degree. In this case you will break 100k within the first couple years with overtime, but you will be on shift from the start.

There are guys (engineers) in the upper mgmt ranks that pull north 300k (guess), but those jobs take a lot more experience and usually an SRO license.

Last edited by a moderator:
FYI, the national average yearly salary for a senior electrical engineer is $95k.

>$200k is achievable (probably) in a high cost of living area like silicon valley, in some sort of start-up that hits gold, or executive management.

Arizona Ron said:
Poke_4_Life said:
WIth a Masters she could teach at a Jr. College. Summers off for sure. Could even get on at a university as a TA or something similar. Also Vo-Techs hire a lot around here.
"All of the teaching jobs are taken", per the OP.
:lmao:

FYI, the national average yearly salary for a senior electrical engineer is $95k.

>$200k is achievable (probably) in a high cost of living area like silicon valley, in some sort of start-up that hits gold, or executive management.
This. Only lawyers are routinely paid $200k and up.

Does she know or like coding? Code academies are popping up all over the country. Supposedly, smart people who never did any coding at all can learn Ruby on Rails and get a $70k job with 12 weeks of training. I don't know about the part-time aspect of coding jobs, but I know a few people who do much of their programming effort from home.

What about private tutoring? With the engineering degree she could likely help out with math and physics. But a prep book to get up to speed on the changes and SAT/ACT would be a breeze.

I'm not sure what the going rate in your area is but $100+ per hour is not uncommon around here and you can set your own hours during evenings/weekends.

Officer Pete Malloy said:
Let me get this straight:

Your wife has an advanced degree in a pretty high paying field but won't work because she didn't like it? Did I get that right?
Women :rolleyes:

My wife and I both had masters degrees in Electrical Engineering before we retired.

We both now have part time jobs at a local library.

Arizona Ron said:
I would be really pissed if I married a chick with a Master's in engineering that stopped using after we got married. I'd feel lied to. You know that's one of the things you considered when you decided to marry you and she's ####ed you over.

Especially if money is tight for you, which it must be since she's looking for part-time work.

Your pimp hand is weak dude, start loaning money.
Yep - if anybody should be judging other people's relationships, it's Ron.

Users who are viewing this thread