What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Path of Exile (free to play & now on Xbone) (4 Viewers)

Wow this looks great! On my 7th try it downloaded and appears to be running smoothly. Couple of very quick questions1) how do I save my game?2) I can see a world map but I can't find a local map. Is there one?3) can I hot key mana and health potions?4) I found my first chest and opened it but I don't know how to look inside. Was it just empty?5) I got a message saying I can now level up my one skill gem I have. By when I click on the gem itself I can't find the step to level it. Does it level itself?
3 - Yes you can. 4 - It was empty, loot pops out of chests. There is a toggle to show white loot (trash mostly except for later levels when items can be 4-5 linked) or not to show it5 - Once you click on the gem it will level. Now this is a slight warning. Some times you do not want to level up your gem all the way. For instance when I do my lightning build archer i never level up my lightning gem past 4 or 5 (forget which) because it eats up too much mana. So keep several gems on hand and try them out to see what fits your build best.

Ok so I started playing today. I cannot get the "ground slam" to work. How do you use your mana? While on the beach I am being attacked by several zombies at once and getting killed pretty easily. I have been given a ground slam that I think will help if I could just figure out how to work it. TIA

Wow this looks great! On my 7th try it downloaded and appears to be running smoothly. Couple of very quick questions1) how do I save my game?2) I can see a world map but I can't find a local map. Is there one?3) can I hot key mana and health potions?4) I found my first chest and opened it but I don't know how to look inside. Was it just empty?5) I got a message saying I can now level up my one skill gem I have. By when I click on the gem itself I can't find the step to level it. Does it level itself?
There is a tool bar below hot keyed to the numbers 1-4 for flasks anyway. Just hit the number on the keyboard.I will say this. My time is a premium right now. I have a few games I have on the docket. If the learning curve wasn't so steep, this would be great, but I cannot see doing too much with this. I will give it a chance, but it seems it would get frustrating to keep on top of the passives and so forth.

Ok so I started playing today. I cannot get the "ground slam" to work. How do you use your mana? While on the beach I am being attacked by several zombies at once and getting killed pretty easily. I have been given a ground slam that I think will help if I could just figure out how to work it. TIA
You assign ground slam to the key you want to use it in. For instance I am using a marauder right now and I have SWEEP assigned to mouse right click, heavy strike on mouse scroller and ground slam on the E key. I position my left hand so that my pinky is on TAB (map) and my skills are then Q, W, E. I then use R and T for auras.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a tool bar below hot keyed to the numbers 1-4 for flasks anyway. Just hit the number on the keyboard.I will say this. My time is a premium right now. I have a few games I have on the docket. If the learning curve wasn't so steep, this would be great, but I cannot see doing too much with this. I will give it a chance, but it seems it would get frustrating to keep on top of the passives and so forth.
its really not that big of a time sink. I plan my char on the online skill tree and then follow that in game.

You assign ground slam to the key you want to use it in. For instance I am using a marauder right now and I have SWEEP assigned to mouse right click, heavy strike on mouse scroller and ground slam on the E key. I position my left hand so that my pinky is on TAB (map) and my skills are then Q, W, E. I then use R and T for auras.
Ok great thanks. I will try and find a user friendly FAQ.

Couple more (having lots of fun playing poorly though)1) How do I level up a skill gem? I saw a message which said I could but I can't seem to see how to do it2) I picked up a shield. Do I actively block in the game? Or by just holding it, it will add to my defense stats?3) Are the drops random, or do I have the same things you guys do at the beginning of the game? I think it may be different as I don't yet have this "ground slam" skill (I am only level 2 and just running around the beach getting spit at by the little spiders and killing the zombies.

Couple more (having lots of fun playing poorly though)1) How do I level up a skill gem? I saw a message which said I could but I can't seem to see how to do it2) I picked up a shield. Do I actively block in the game? Or by just holding it, it will add to my defense stats?3) Are the drops random, or do I have the same things you guys do at the beginning of the game? I think it may be different as I don't yet have this "ground slam" skill (I am only level 2 and just running around the beach getting spit at by the little spiders and killing the zombies.
1 - It should appear in the upper RH corner of the screen, just click on it2 - No active blocks, just adds to your stats3 - Drops are all random, quest rewards differ per class.

1 - It should appear in the upper RH corner of the screen, just click on it2 - No active blocks, just adds to your stats3 - Drops are all random, quest rewards differ per class.
sweet thanks!OK I did see the message in the top right hand corner and I clicked it but I guess I expected to be brought to another screen for some sort of leveling choice. Just the act of clicking it then performs the leveling process or is there more to it I am missing?

I still can't get over the fact that this is free. I am half still expecting to see "ok, your demo is over now" message appear some time soon.I hope this model works financially as it may solve my issue with the possibility of after market gaming disappearing in the next gen of consoles.

sweet thanks!OK I did see the message in the top right hand corner and I clicked it but I guess I expected to be brought to another screen for some sort of leveling choice. Just the act of clicking it then performs the leveling process or is there more to it I am missing?
Thats all you have to do. If it is grey (you cant level it up yet because you dont have a stat high enough) you can right click on it to take it off the screen. It will then appear at the bottom of your inventory screen and will turn to a color when you are able to level it up.

All currency items

Top 4 (from reddit thread):

Exalted Orbs Enchants a rare item with a new random property. Right click this item then left click a rare item to apply it. Rare items can have up to six random properties.

Divine Orbs Randomises the numeric values of the random properties on an item. Right click this item then left click a magic, rare or unique item to apply it.

Chaos Orbs Reforges a rare item with new random properties. Right click this item then left click a rare item to apply it.

Gemcutters Prisms Improves the quality of a gem. Right click this item then left click a gem to apply it. The maximum quality is 20%.

So what items/perks have people purchased? Are any really nice? I assume you only get 1 slot, then have to pay for more, true?

'Mad Cow said:
So what items/perks have people purchased? Are any really nice? I assume you only get 1 slot, then have to pay for more, true?
Not sure what you are referring too.You start with 24 character slots and 5 stash tabs.When I bought my beta key I received microtransaction credits as well, I spent all of them on additional stash tabs months ago.Stash tabs are reasonably priced, I was a little disappointed that they short changed their small value microtransaction purchases to encourage people to buy more, they had been so good in every other regard but really, $10 bucks for 96 instead of 100 credits... its just obnoxious - and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it in the future.

'Jojo the circus boy said:
All currency items

Top 4 (from reddit thread):

Exalted Orbs Enchants a rare item with a new random property. Right click this item then left click a rare item to apply it. Rare items can have up to six random properties.

Divine Orbs Randomises the numeric values of the random properties on an item. Right click this item then left click a magic, rare or unique item to apply it.

Chaos Orbs Reforges a rare item with new random properties. Right click this item then left click a rare item to apply it.

Gemcutters Prisms Improves the quality of a gem. Right click this item then left click a gem to apply it. The maximum quality is 20%.
I believe 1.5-2 Alchemy Orbs and Regrets are both approximately worth a chaos.Fusings are still fluctuating like crazy but I recommend everyone to save them up, if not for your personal use they will definitely shoot up in value quite a bit.

'Mad Cow said:
Not sure what you are referring too.You start with 24 character slots and 5 stash tabs.When I bought my beta key I received microtransaction credits as well, I spent all of them on additional stash tabs months ago.Stash tabs are reasonably priced, I was a little disappointed that they short changed their small value microtransaction purchases to encourage people to buy more, they had been so good in every other regard but really, $10 bucks for 96 instead of 100 credits... its just obnoxious - and I wouldn't be surprised if they changed it in the future.
Holy crap, had no idea there were 24 slots. Just assumed like other similar models that went F2P, that you had 1 or 2 slots, bought more.

'Mad Cow said:
Holy crap, had no idea there were 24 slots. Just assumed like other similar models that went F2P, that you had 1 or 2 slots, bought more.
I don't believe all 24 slots are on the same realm, its split up in one way or another but it comes to a total of 24.I know at the very minimum you have separate character limits for hardcore and standard.

I made it into the first town now.I think I see other players running around, but I don't want to be in a PvP area. Can I block the other players from coming into my game? They are not attacking me right now.Also, is the game meant to be played solo or do I have to join the quests on the board that look like they are public quests that groups of people all do together? I don't mind either style, just trying to understand the basics.Very very good so far.

'Mad Cow said:
I don't believe all 24 slots are on the same realm, its split up in one way or another but it comes to a total of 24.I know at the very minimum you have separate character limits for hardcore and standard.
6 is more than generous, IMO.It is my understand that this game is similar to Guild Wars in that the hubs are common in servers but the areas are all instanced, correct? I imagine you create parties to do that together. Are there noticeable different servers? I ask that due to friends, etc. Many times a game will have different servers, but not tell you, or some will let you know and choose, such as WoW, LOTRO, etc.

I made it into the first town now.I think I see other players running around, but I don't want to be in a PvP area. Can I block the other players from coming into my game? They are not attacking me right now.Also, is the game meant to be played solo or do I have to join the quests on the board that look like they are public quests that groups of people all do together? I don't mind either style, just trying to understand the basics.Very very good so far.
No, those are hubs, so to speak. Only quests to pick up and gear to sell. You have to be in areas for that, and those are all instanced. So you could have a thousand people running the same area on a server, but it is all different and unique to them.

So I usually do a bow/missile player in these types of games. Are you generally better locked in to the ranger here, or are there solid builds with other classes that get you into the missile skills quickly and effectively?

So I usually do a bow/missile player in these types of games. Are you generally better locked in to the ranger here, or are there solid builds with other classes that get you into the missile skills quickly and effectively?
I was playing around with the skill tree online and it appears that the Ranger can get to the "bow/projectile" skills quickly. I wanted a ranged character like a Ranger but ended up taking a Templar out of ignorance but I am trying to build Battle Mage if I can. If it does not work out I am just going to delete and start a new character.

6 is more than generous, IMO.It is my understand that this game is similar to Guild Wars in that the hubs are common in servers but the areas are all instanced, correct? I imagine you create parties to do that together. Are there noticeable different servers? I ask that due to friends, etc. Many times a game will have different servers, but not tell you, or some will let you know and choose, such as WoW, LOTRO, etc.
At the moment there are two "leagues", leagues are what PoE calls their realms or servers. Those two leagues at the moment are default and hardcore.In the future there will be more leagues the only ones I know of at the moment are Cutthroat and hardcore cutthroat which existed shortly before release, it is a pvp league where you can join other peoples instances and kill them.They have mentioned they plan to release a microtransaction option to start custom leagues that you can invite people too, you can adjust exp/drop rate values for custom leagues.

Each class has its benefit, when you look at the passive skill tree each class starts at a different location on the tree.If you wanna be a bow user, Ranger is the most optimal as they are planted firmly in the middle of the bow tree. That being said, Shadows and Duelist are both very effective bow users and to a lesser extent, Marauder and Witches can be very effective. Templars can be but they are the most obtuse about it, you will get very few bow passives but you will be able to get elemental damage and such passives that aren't easily obtained by the other 5.If you just wanna be a ranged character, Templars are becoming very popular they are very strong wand users which are ranged weapons but they are complex to build.

I have never played a MMORPG and I read the developers of POE do not consider their game to be a MMORPG. What makes POE different from a regular MMO? Is it in the game play or is it more the lack of a monthly fee?

Wow this looks great! On my 7th try it downloaded and appears to be running smoothly.

Couple of very quick questions

1) how do I save my game?

2) I can see a world map but I can't find a local map. Is there one?

3) can I hot key mana and health potions?

4) I found my first chest and opened it but I don't know how to look inside. Was it just empty?

5) I got a message saying I can now level up my one skill gem I have. By when I click on the gem itself I can't find the step to level it. Does it level itself?
:lmao: :lmao:

haha....they aren't in your game any more than I'm on your internet.I haven't even seen this yet, but you're probably in some kind of hub, which allows you to chat/mingle if you want, buy/sell, etc.if these guys could attack you right now, you'd have been ganked 50x already while I'm typing this.usually in these types of games you basically have to select a pvp option.like I said, I haven't seen this, but there's possibly quests posted that you (and everyone else) can select, maybe there's an option to team with others, or go solo.I would imagine it's what they call 'instanced', where you go out in your own little virtual bubble when you leave the hub/town area, and lose all interaction, unless you team up.

I still can't get over the fact that this is free. I am half still expecting to see "ok, your demo is over now" message appear some time soon.I hope this model works financially as it may solve my issue with the possibility of after market gaming disappearing in the next gen of consoles.
I wouldn't have a clue about how the numbers crunch out, but it wouldn't surprise me if this is a very viable model.there's no sticker shock to turn people off buying the game, and as they play it they get more invested in it, and a lot of people will pop 5 and 10 bucks here and there for various crap, which will add up as they play.if you use steam you'll see various games offered at big discounts, because it's not like a physical unit is produced, and they just want the revenue, but with a game like this you never have to discount the product -- each game continues to generate income as long as people are interested in playing, and that can actually be years.you'd be surprised how much people will pay for virtual pets, costume dyes, weapon glows, or wizard hats.

Found a great tool: Skilltree PlannerScreenshotInteractive light version of the skill tree that has a running tally of all the bonuses from it.

So I created a Marauder, cleared Crossroads and there was no Way Point anywhere. Does it not show up until I complete a quest or something?
The crossroads waypoint is at the crossroads intersection :lmao: Two roads run through crossroads, west to east is from town to the first bandit. From north to south is the place where you get the baleful gem and the south is felshrine ruins (which leads to the church dungeon).

I have never played a MMORPG and I read the developers of POE do not consider their game to be a MMORPG. What makes POE different from a regular MMO? Is it in the game play or is it more the lack of a monthly fee?
MMORPG is a persistent world, where everywhere has people around. Instances are few, the open world is everything. This is all about instances. It is not an MMO in the same way GW/GW2 isn't an MMO. It is just different is the easy way to put it. If you have played an MMO, then this, that would make sense.

Found a great tool: Skilltree PlannerScreenshotInteractive light version of the skill tree that has a running tally of all the bonuses from it.

So I created a Marauder, cleared Crossroads and there was no Way Point anywhere. Does it not show up until I complete a quest or something?
The crossroads waypoint is at the crossroads intersection :lmao: Two roads run through crossroads, west to east is from town to the first bandit. From north to south is the place where you get the baleful gem and the south is felshrine ruins (which leads to the church dungeon).
Very cool on the planner.

Can we update the OP with user names to add friends? I am going to reroll a ranger I think.

That planner looks so cool thanks for the link! That would be great to be built into the game itself. It is always nice to see how the different power ups are stacking.Anyone try running it under Windows 8? I keep getting a program crash on power up.

That planner looks so cool thanks for the link! That would be great to be built into the game itself. It is always nice to see how the different power ups are stacking.Anyone try running it under Windows 8? I keep getting a program crash on power up.
I'm getting the same thing with Windows 7 Pro.

Does anyone have a link for a list of keyboard shortcuts? I was poking around today and found that X switches my weapon set which is very handy.

Does anyone have a link for a list of keyboard shortcuts? I was poking around today and found that X switches my weapon set which is very handy.
You can check and change them somewhere, probably in the options menu. As a bow wielding character, I was glad to see that like other games Shift-attack makes you stand still.

I don't have a pc with windows 8, have you tried right clicking and running as administrator? I read through the ongoing issues at the moment, seems a few people are having problems, at the moment the path of exile website is down because they are under a denial of service attack. The planner references the path of exile website, its possible with their site being down it craters the program.Its still working for me though :confused:

I don't have a pc with windows 8, have you tried right clicking and running as administrator? I read through the ongoing issues at the moment, seems a few people are having problems, at the moment the path of exile website is down because they are under a denial of service attack. The planner references the path of exile website, its possible with their site being down it craters the program.Its still working for me though :confused:
Yeah, I have run in normal mode, as admin and in compatibility mode as Windows 7. Interesting that you are not having any issues. Might be something specific to me although FootballDummy just posted above that he is crashing on Windows 7. I wonder if we have a different version from you? When did you download it? I will keep trying as it looks very useful.

Yeah, I have run in normal mode, as admin and in compatibility mode as Windows 7. Interesting that you are not having any issues. Might be something specific to me although FootballDummy just posted above that he is crashing on Windows 7. I wonder if we have a different version from you? When did you download it? I will keep trying as it looks very useful.
Just tried it again and it worked.

My level 7 ranger is WittyNameHere. Pretty much mows down everything from afar thus far. Good times. . .

I made it to level 10 and used mana for the first time 5 minutes ago. I am currently stuck trying to find the "The Way Forward" Where do I enter to start this quest? UGH

Just tried it again and it worked.
yup, works now for me too! Very nice!Had a bit of a problem with the Load Items window but I got it to work after a few tries. Great little tool.

Just a heads up for those of you with middle of the road or low end graphics cards, you may want to make a conscience decision to not use certain skills.I'm using a Radeon HD 5770 atm, its a performance budget card, middle of the road by todays standards and anytime I'm in a party with someone using poison arrow I get a significant increase on the load on my gpu. Back in closed beta when I ran a ranger I even fatal error'd because of it. Just gotta be aware of it. There are other skills that are very GPU intensive, I don't know them all but Poison Arrow has always been the biggest culprit, which is a shame because its ridiculously good.

Just a heads up for those of you with middle of the road or low end graphics cards, you may want to make a conscience decision to not use certain skills.I'm using a Radeon HD 5770 atm, its a performance budget card, middle of the road by todays standards and anytime I'm in a party with someone using poison arrow I get a significant increase on the load on my gpu. Back in closed beta when I ran a ranger I even fatal error'd because of it. Just gotta be aware of it. There are other skills that are very GPU intensive, I don't know them all but Poison Arrow has always been the biggest culprit, which is a shame because its ridiculously good.
yeah poison arrow is my main dps spell

Users who are viewing this thread