What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Paul Perkins - RB - NYG (1 Viewer)

I did note that Perkins had some nice runs in the 3rd preseason game and I got to see a couple of his plays that looked better than his one long run from the game the week before. He seemed to be getting more comfortable.

No one commented in this thread about that positive. I thought about it, but what I saw was brief so I didn't until now.

He has made it this far and those runs seem to have shut up McAdoo's criticisms from the previous week as well.
He comes across as a guy who needs 20+ carries to be able to do anything, he seems more of a grind it out back. Doubt he sees those touches.

IMO how Perkins is used and performs is one of the most interesting fantasy storylines of week 1. He could blow up and we can all say we missed it, or he can just be average as part of true RBBC and validate most concerns. Either way, it will be very interesting to observe the Giants offense on SNF, particularly since the team may be leaning on the run game quite a bit with OBJ possibly out or limited. 

Last edited by a moderator:
As a giants fan I'd love to see Perkins excel.   As a realist I know he isn't very good and that o line still sucks.  I think he's a fantasy bust.  And I agree darkwa is better.  Runs with more power. Would not be surprised to see him starting early in the season.  

Took him as my rb4 in a 12 man ppr draft last night...if he does something cool...if not.....cut....
Took him as RB4 in an early draft league six weeks ago.  Then Ware went down and he moved to RB3.  Then Ajayi's game got postponed, so it's now between Perkins and Forte as my RB2.

Wasn't Darkwa poised to take the job from Jennings and then went down with a concussion. That's IIRC and you're always up on your stuff. I like Darkwa as a runner and want to add him in leagues because I think he's the Giants starter in a few games.  
Darkwa is a change of pace bruiser and that's about it. He doesn't have the talent to take over. Think of him like a broke man's Brandon Jacobs. 

WARNING -

Last year, in limited action, Perkins didn't do much against Dallas. Combine that with the fact that the Giants see week 1 as a must-win game against their greatest divisional foe, and I could see McAdoo relying on his bread and butter than getting too cute by unleashing an unproven young RB in some misguided move of gamesmanship.

Eli will throw. Beckham will catch. Marshall will catch. Sheppard will catch. Engram will get 2 or 3 targets and that's it. Perkins will get change-of-pace type carries: change-of-pace from Eli's passing. Think of the way NE uses their RBs as a way to keep defenses from overplaying the pass. This will be the Giants week 1 and it will deceptively make Perkins look bad to the FF world when they see his 10 carries for 43 yards stat line. 

If your league's PP owner freaks out, trade for Perkins immediately. He won't be an RB1 the rest of the year, but he'll certainly do much much better than a lame week 1 performance. You'll be able to steal a high RB3, low RB2 for peanuts on Tuesday. 

He has upside, but as you say...taking him as a RB4 in any size league does not make it hard to cut him. 

Plus if he sucks, scoop Darkwa.
IMO Vereen is the 2nd NY back to own. I've got Perkins (7.08) and grabbed Vereen off the wire when JWilliams was cut by BUF. 

PPR Vereen has stand-alone flex value, but if Perkins goes down Vereen makes for a high upside flex/RB2 in what should be a pass-heavy offense. He's going to Hoover up all those underneath dump offs from Eli, and should be a very productive player. 

Perkins could make a statement this year but it won't be week one. 

As a guy who got Hunt/Perkins rounds 6-7, I'm hoping Perkins does enough the 1st few weeks that I can deal him to a RB-needy team. Might even package Vereen. lol

IMO Vereen is the 2nd NY back to own. I've got Perkins (7.08) and grabbed Vereen off the wire when JWilliams was cut by BUF. 

PPR Vereen has stand-alone flex value, but if Perkins goes down Vereen makes for a high upside flex/RB2 in what should be a pass-heavy offense. He's going to Hoover up all those underneath dump offs from Eli, and should be a very productive player. 

Perkins could make a statement this year but it won't be week one. 

As a guy who got Hunt/Perkins rounds 6-7, I'm hoping Perkins does enough the 1st few weeks that I can deal him to a RB-needy team. Might even package Vereen. lol
In PPR leagues I would agree, in TD heavy or standard, not so much. I think when it comes time, Perkins will do alright, but I own him in a TD heavy league and Giants loves those GL carries.

Well. I couldn't have been more wrong on this guy.
You're not alone.

He looked pretty dynamic last year and certainly also fooled McAdoo when he anointed him the starter as soon as they cut Jennings. Something happened though on the way to the starting gig.

scothawk said:
Yeah I was pretty high on him until the last week of August. Then I jumped ship and kept someone else. Glad I did. 

Hope all you guys have some contingency plans 

What is he supposed to see? 
maybe where to run as opposed to putting his head down running into the back of the lineman....both Darkwa and Vereen looked better than 7 carry/10 yard Perkins.  

scothawk said:
Ditto. 

In fairness, he's actually regressed from his rookie year. You have to wonder if he's nursing a nagging injury because the burst just isn't there. 

You're not alone.

He looked pretty dynamic last year and certainly also fooled McAdoo when he anointed him the starter as soon as they cut Jennings. Something happened though on the way to the starting gig.
He's never looked dynamic in the NFL. 

I was moderately high on Perkins this offseason (maybe RB 24-30 range with RB 18 upside) but clearly he didn't perform.

Is there any chance he takes work from Darkwa or Gallman when he gets healthy?  Or has he been a healthy scratch already?

I was moderately high on Perkins this offseason (maybe RB 24-30 range with RB 18 upside) but clearly he didn't perform.

Is there any chance he takes work from Darkwa or Gallman when he gets healthy?  Or has he been a healthy scratch already?
Giants coaching staff would have to be blind to give him any touches. So most likely starting RB this weekend.

I think he is done for.  He had the opportunity and did NOTHING

Again, Giants ignored Darkwa for over a year because of a love of Perkins.

It's not out of the realm of possibility they give Perkins a shot at the #1 back role again, especially if they attribute Darkwa/Gallman's success to the rebuilt O-Line. a.k.a "If a UDFA and a rookie can look good, how good will Perkins look then?"

The sad thing is, I'm a Giants fan and I'm not kidding.

I'm debating flexing Darkwa so I'm hoping for an inactive.
He's looked really good. And I don't know how one can ignore what he did in Denver with them coming off a bye.  Nothing was aligned to go right for the Giants offense last week and he flat out beasted.

So, of course, you should expect 13-35-0 with 1-7-0 receiving this week.

I think he is done for.  He had the opportunity and did NOTHING
Only 5 offensive snaps since his return, all within the last 2 weeks. 

Giants RB Paul Perkins (pec) said he is back to 100 percent.

Perkins spent all of last season on the non-football injury list after suffering a pectoral injury during a private workout. The former fifth-rounder has been a bust to this point, but the Giants kept him around through that injury and appear to be giving him a real shot to earn a roster spot. Perkins will compete with Wayne Gallman and Rod Smith for a role behind Saquon Barkley.

SOURCE: New York Post

May 23, 2019, 9:48 AM ET

Finally waived yesterday.

Remember when he was a thing?  An 8 page thread here says yes.

Users who are viewing this thread