What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

People are waiting in line outside the Circuit City here (3 Viewers)

Otis, you would've been TWICE as blown away by the following... I mean.. at least these people are saving hundreds of dollars potentially:1) They had "Free Ice Cream" day at a ice cream store (sheridan's) near my office. People were literally waiting in line 2+ hours for a free $3-5 item.2) Chipotle Free Burrito Day: People will wait in 45 min + lines for that too?Yet. I think if they were handing out $5 bills, would these people still wait in the same line?Seem -EVThis practically screams for a poll.It all comes down to EV.If the guy standing out in the cold for 8 hours saves $500.. maybe that's more than he makes in a typical 8 hour day.. and he's doing nothing more than standing.. so that's clearly +EV.Now, Otis probably makes more than $500 in 8 hours, so him standing out there is -EV.It's 10:30 PM here.. and it's 30 degrees outside. For me to go wait in line from now until 6 AM .. i'm pretty sure the reward at the end of the tunnel would need to be ~$800
But this is not a single event, prices on technology are constantly falling. You will be able to get the same savings without standing in the snow and making yourself miserable if you can show some restraint prior to a purchase.

Otis, you would've been TWICE as blown away by the following... I mean.. at least these people are saving hundreds of dollars potentially:1) They had "Free Ice Cream" day at a ice cream store (sheridan's) near my office. People were literally waiting in line 2+ hours for a free $3-5 item.2) Chipotle Free Burrito Day: People will wait in 45 min + lines for that too?Yet. I think if they were handing out $5 bills, would these people still wait in the same line?Seem -EVThis practically screams for a poll.It all comes down to EV.If the guy standing out in the cold for 8 hours saves $500.. maybe that's more than he makes in a typical 8 hour day.. and he's doing nothing more than standing.. so that's clearly +EV.Now, Otis probably makes more than $500 in 8 hours, so him standing out there is -EV.It's 10:30 PM here.. and it's 30 degrees outside. For me to go wait in line from now until 6 AM .. i'm pretty sure the reward at the end of the tunnel would need to be ~$800
But this is not a single event, prices on technology are constantly falling. You will be able to get the same savings without standing in the snow and making yourself miserable if you can show some restraint prior to a purchase.
Precisely. And this is why the poll is flawed.

I've done the research, I'm in the market for a flat panel for the bedroom. This 46" Sharp is by far the best deal out there (IMO) and you'll have to wait a year to get it at this price.

Did it last year to try to get the 42 inch panasonic plasma for a grand. I didnt have a job then and the money i would have saved would have been huge. I didnt get it. :bag
I think that's the funniest part about this. They have what, like 5 of those TV deals yet there will be a line 50 people deep by the time the store opens. So most of them wait hours and don't even get the great deal.

Agreed.I think some people simply get caught up in the hype.I don't want to hijack the thread... but if I were a really religious person, this is sure a messed up way to celebrate on of the two major religious holidays

I've done the research, I'm in the market for a flat panel for the bedroom. This 46" Sharp is by far the best deal out there (IMO) and you'll have to wait a year to get it at this price.
I thought the market was dropping in San Diego?

Otis>Imagine that the TVs were pharmaceutical products designed to lessen a woman's ability to defend against sexual advances to which they don't consent. Make more sense now?

You ought to load up a traveling cocktail and your HurricaneCam and go down there and start deposing people.
:thumbup:I've honestly been considering it. Could really shtick it up here.
This would be my move if I was within stumbling distance of a line like this. Do the whole damn thing, including the intro depo questions. People will look at you like you've got lobsters crawling out of your ears. Give us some insight into the life of your average Gothamite looking to score the jumbo TV. "This is Otis for YouTube News" or "This is Otis for YouTube 360" or "This is Otis for the YouTube Factor."

So for those who have done this sort of thing before... what is the shark move?

Wait for the doors to be unlocked, then sprint to the TV you want and give it a bearhug? :thumbup:

Ok, I can buy that, I am close to buying a plasma tv, but I am still using a tv I bought at target in 1997 so I am not what you would call a early adopter. I just finished my cabbage patch kid collection. Good news was I bought a 1000 of them for a nickle.I tend to think that there will be other sales in the future though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Walmart is selling every season of the Sopranos for very cheap first thing tomorrow, but a) I hate Walmart, and b) I am not messing with those crazy crowds.

Best buy has a eMachine Desktop PC with a 17" Widescreen Monitor and Printer that I plan to head out and not be able to get around 5AM, good enough PC for the kiddos.

Walmart is selling every season of the Sopranos for very cheap first thing tomorrow, but a) I hate Walmart, and b) I am not messing with those crazy crowds.
They should GIVE away season 6a.
Heh. It isn't that bad. It is still good t.v. It just isn't as good as any other Sopranos season. I always wonder why Seasons 4-6 are so much more expensive than the first 3. I already own 1, 2, and 3, and want to get the rest, but they are always outrageously expensive.

Look, if they were giving away 50 inch televisions, hell, I might go stand out there myself. But they're not. It's a sale. There is or will be as good or a better deal that does not involve standing outside in the cold all night.
lol wtf... so if they were selling a $2000 t.v. for $1000 you're an idiot for waiting in line, but if they were giving away a $1000 t.v. for free you would wait in line?

I'm trying to take some cues from Kige with the camerawork. His behind the scenes vid was super helpful.

"Look at that idiot up there in a t-shirt with the window open, video taping us when it's 40 degrees outside."

proninja said:
I bet some FFAers are out there doing this sort of thing right now. I'd love to know which ones.
Did it last year to try to get the 42 inch panasonic plasma for a grand. I didnt have a job then and the money i would have saved would have been huge. I didnt get it. :bag
This is what I don't get. Anyone who's standing in line waiting for this kind of a deal probably shouldn't be buying it anyway. No offense, but if you're unemployed, dropping a grand on a tv probably isn't the brightest move ever. I'd wager that most of of the folks in line are only using this "deal" as an excuse to drop $$$ they can't afford to drop on something they don't need.
:goodposting:

Perhaps the best part about it all is that

is what these people are waiting in line all night for.Keep fighting the good fight, America :goodposting:

What is the incentive for the store for selling a few items at a deep discount? Are you trying to get the hardcore Black Friday types in the door? Generating buzz? Wouldn't it make more sense to cut the price by 25%, but on more TV's? Explain it to me like I'm an ### with an internet connection but not a business degree.

At school, my friends and I would wake up in the middle of the night to line up for b-ball season tix. Got up at 4, total time spent driving and waiting was about 6 hours, and it was well worth it. I don't think I would do it for a material good though, unless there was a huge guaranteed payoff.

Circuit City's selling a 46" Sharp Aquos for about a grand under their regular price.
yeah there selling it for 1300 bux. Costco has it for 1500 and you don't have to freeze your ### off all night. And their return policy is twice as long as circuit city's.

:kicksrock: Just dropped my g/f off at Toys R Us at 4am and there were at least 40 people lined up. And there is no big $1000 savings going on there. A lot of discounted toys, etc. and I think Super Mario Galaxy for $15 off but wow. Will have to see what Circuit City looks like here when I go to work. There were about 4 or 5 people lined up there around 8pm last night and the 2 kids came in for some hot chocolate and said they were waiting in line for the laptop to sell it for a $50-$60 profit. Worst I waited in line for was for the Wii's when they came out but that was for ~$500 profit from two of them while we stayed up all night in front of Target playing football and Risk so it wasn't all that bad.

Otis, as for the FBG's waiting in line now? Feel free to haze Mr.Phoenix when he returns from the lines.

I dont know. I dont see much difference between these freaks standing in line outside Circuity City for however many hours, and some nerd sitting at his window videotaping them and posting it on youtube.

Someone please stand in line and get Otis a real camera.

What's with it cutting out on sound with each zoom? And does it even focus?

Second update was much better with the steadiness...you went from Muhammad Ali-like shakes to Michael J. Fox-like twitches.

There's a circuit city between the subway and my apartment. I walked past it on my way home this evening at about 8:30pm. There must have been 10 people waiting in line. It's freezing outside. Going into the 30s tonight.I can see this Circuit City from my window. The line is growing. I should fire up a webcam or something.Are these people ######ed?
Some people need to work a little harder to be able to afford things. If there are some great deals to be had, it's worth it for these people to wait in line, even if it is cold. What is so hard to understand about that?

Users who are viewing this thread