What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Personal outsourcing -- Lazy or brilliant? (1 Viewer)

Do you outsource everyday tasks?

• I regularly outsource every item or almost every item on this list

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I regularly outsource a couple items on this list

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I occasionally outsource a couple items on this list

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • I do not outsource my "#### to do" list

Votes: 21 84.0%

• Total voters

gianmarco

Footballguy
7 Tasks You Should Outsource

In an ideal world, most of our workday would revolve around using our best skills and doing the tasks that excite us. We’d then delegate the other stuff to someone else (ideally, someone for whom that task might be fun).

While this may seem like a lofty goal, at least until you score the corner office, the truth is, you can outsource more than you might think—for less than you’d imagine—using the tons of online virtual assistant and delivery services out there. After dabbling in the practice over the last 18 months, I’ve discovered how dramatically it can affect my productivity.

So, how do you know when to outsource something? I use three criteria:

• Am I procrastinating on this task? If I’m procrastinating, I usually don’t have the resources, knowledge, or skill proficiency to do it well.

• Do I dread starting this task? If I view the task with dread rather than excitement, this signals that I don’t actually want to do it. This means that I won’t bring the level of passion and ownership that I would if I were exciting to me.

• Am I awesome at this task? If the answer is “no,” chances are good that you can find an expert to help you out. If the answer is “yes,” it’s time to reshuffle your priorities and outsource something else to free up time.

Here are a few tasks that I’ve outsourced to great success, that have helped me gain back precious free time, and that have immeasurably improved my overall happiness, stress level, and satisfaction.

1. Appointments, Reservations, and Logistics Coordination

Imagine what would happen if you never had to make calls for dinner reservations, hair appointments, car services, doctors’ appointments, price-checking at local stores, USPS re-delivery, or sharing information with potential new clients.

Pretty great, right? So, wipe your plate clean of all of these tasks, and delegate them to a virtual assistant. I’ve saved hours of time by doing so, and you’d be blown away by how affordable this is. With Fancy Hands, for example, you’ll pay between $3 and $5 per task. Similar services, like TaskRabbit, Task Bullet, MyTasker, Zirtual, and TimeSvr, take care of everything from calls to data entry to transcription.

2. Answering Your Phone

Your virtual assistant probably won’t answer your phone, but you can outsource that just as easily! Hiring a virtual receptionist can give an air of authenticity and professionalism to your side business, not to mention free you up from unexpected phone calls. Tools like AppleTree Answers, Ruby Receptionist, MyReceptionist, and VoiceCloud offer receptionists that will pick up your phone 24/7 and ease the burden of your call load.

3. Research

Whether you’re looking to create a database of accounting firms in your city for market research or just find a couple of peer-reviewed studies that support a hunch for your next presentation, there’s no reason that you should take the first step in researching anything these days. Services like Fiverr, Freelancer.com, and Elance connect you with talented professionals around the world who are willing to complete that task faster and for less money than you’d imagine. In 2011, I hired my first part-time virtual research assistant to curate some shocking statistics to add extra punch to a blog post I was working on, and I haven’t looked back since.

4. Graphic Design and Digital Presentation Preparation

Unless you’re a skilled designer yourself, your digital presentations could probably use some pizzazz. But instead of frittering your time away on PowerPoint animations and mulling over the merits of Arial Bold, spend a few bucks on Fiverr, Elance, 99 Designs, Guru, or DesignCrowd to have a professional design your slideshow. Use the time you’ve just saved on rehearsing your presentation, instead.

5. Putting Together Furniture, Dry Cleaning Drop-Off, and Other In-Person Tasks

What about the pain-in-the-rear errands that can’t be done virtually? Enter services like Zaarly and TaskRabbit, which connect you to people in your area who are willing to do simple tasks in their spare time. You could hire someone to stand in line for you to pick up your iPhone 5S or put together the flat-pack furniture you just purchased. You could even have someone do all your Black Friday shopping. Name the task, and someone’s already outsourced it.

6. Shopping for Fresh Produce

We know that a diet full of organic fruits and vegetables is essential for maintaining our brains and bodies, but let’s be honest for a moment: Do you have the time to reliably a) head to a farmer’s market near you, b) sort through the offerings and pick a diverse assortment of fruits and vegetables, and c) repeat this process weekly? If your answers to any of the above were “no,” look into CSAs that offer delivery services.

CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. You essentially purchase shares of a local farm’s harvest, and each week you get a box full of whatever’s in season. In San Diego, I use a service called NaturallytoYourDoor.com that works with several farms for an even bigger variety. Head to Local Harvest (NYC residents can also look at JustFood) to find a CSA near you.

To level up this concept, consider getting your groceries, wine, and beer delivered. Most supermarkets have a delivery option with online shopping. When it comes to take-out tipples, you’ll have to outsource a little research, but it’s worth the effort to find a local gem. For example, local New Yorkers can get beer, liquor, and wine delivered in 30 to 60 minutes from BoozeCarriage, while Bostonians have a similar service in Drizly. You’ll wonder how you ever got along without doing so.

7. Meal Cooking

You might think that personal chefs are just for celebrities, but I learned a trick from bestselling author Brendon Burchard that flipped this theory on its head. He and his wife went to a local cooking school and asked the instructor to recommend a talented student-chef who wanted to go into catering. In exchange for a modest stipend and a testimonial, they hired a chef who worked with their weekly budget, purchased and prepared a week’s worth of healthy, nutritious meals for them, and even cleaned up afterward!

You can also try this with a group, splitting the cost three or four ways, and dividing up the portions accordingly. Or, look into delivery meal services like Blue Apron.

If you’re new to outsourcing and aren’t sure where to start, pick just one or two tasks from this list, and invest the time you would have spent doing these items on a restorative activity you enjoy: a coffee date with a dear friend, an extra-long shower, a mani-pedi. In a few weeks, try to outsource another couple of tasks. You’ll soon find that you have more hours in your week to devote to what you really want or need to be doing. As a bonus, you’ll also build awareness of the types of activities that leave you feeling happy and energized, rather than listless and exhausted.

I read this and just shake my head.  I understand the premise of this and I agree that some of these things may be useful to some people.  But to "outsource" virtually every errand/task that you have to do seems over the top and lazy to me.  And for those with kids, what does that teach them?  As my kids get older, I'll actually be outsourcing these tasks....to them.  So they can learn how to do these things. 

Or am I missing something and is this the way things are heading?  This article just screams millennial to me.  The exception to this rule, of course, is @Arizona Ron and Angie.

Here's another article on this same subject

I like cooking my own meals and would never want to outsource that. 

Grocery store I go to has 11 local beers on tap. No chance I am giving that up. 

I outsource nothing. Of course, the article is nonsense, but I could see doing some of the items if you decide your time is worth more than the cost to do the tasks. To each his own I guess. 

Blue Apron isn't that much of a time saver, IMO.  It's still a lot of prep work and dirties a ton of dishes.  What it outsources, I guess, is the stress of wondering whether what you've planned to do for dinner will get criticized.  "Don't blame me, Blue Apron sent the Korean Pork Sliders on Steamed Buns!"

I have at times, and will be again, outsourcing certain logistics stuff.  Stuff like scheduling a regular pet groomer.  I'll never stop grocery shopping myself, but I do find stuff like Amazon useful for pantry items.  I'm moving next week and the logistics firm is handling stuff like getting a painter in to repaint a bedroom.  I might use them to assemble some furniture/a new grill as well. 

This world is going to hell quickly.  Based on the 7 items listed, do you save 30-40 minutes a day?  One extra show watched on TV or 30 min extra of sleep?  Really?

This is almost as dumb as those "how to save $5K"

1. Don't go to Starbucks every day

2. Serve hamburgers instead of fillet mignon at your kids graduation party

3. Only go to the Hamptons for 3 days instead of 2

I am going to outsource my driveway addition.  Maybe my sprinkler system next year.   That's about it.

I think most folks "outsource" but just don't think of it that way - things that I think lots of folks outsource:

• Car Care - oil change, filters, car wash
  • House cleaning
  • Yard work
  • Handyman work around the house
  • Nanny/Baby sitter/Tutoring (this one may be more because of not able to while having a job)
If it's something I hate to do and have the money to let someone else do it and free my time up then why wouldn't I?

I get paid to think and solve problems.  I "outsource" everything that's not involved with those tasks..

It's not 'lazy' IMO, it's putting my focus where my money & happiness is.

The best decision I've ever made is when I started delegating tasks I deem a 'nuisance' to create 'happiness' for someone else.  "I like you, you need stability and money, I'll give you stability and money if you deal with these headaches which prevent my thinking and problem solving" - game theory at it's finest. 

I get paid to think and solve problems.  I "outsource" everything that's not involved with those tasks..

It's not 'lazy' IMO, it's putting my focus where my money & happiness is.

The best decision I've ever made is when I started delegating tasks I deem a 'nuisance' to create 'happiness' for someone else.  "I like you, you need stability and money, I'll give you stability and money if you deal with these headaches which prevent my thinking and problem solving" - game theory at it's finest. 
Agreed, I just don't have a job that takes all of my time or energy.  For those who do and make the money to pay for these things,  cool.  There's a reason the ceo has a secretary.  The president doesn't do laundry.  But us normal folk can do most things without hindering their work. 

When I leased my Infiniti, the dealer threw in 1 year of complimentary personal concierge service. I was like, that sounds cool. Someone to schedule restaurant reservations for me, stuff like that.

Literally never even crossed my mind to use it once.

I actually just signed up for Blue Apron.  It's more to try for a few weeks to get some new ideas and such before I cancel it though, not a permanent thing.

I have a lawn service because when I move from an apartment to a house I didn't own a lawn mower or a single piece of gardening equipment. They do a great job and when I see my neighbors out there on the weekends I never wish I were in their shoes. 

Looking at that list, I once lived in an apartment with valet dry cleaning and it was pretty sweet. 

This topic essentially has a lot to do with ones "lifestyle" (amount of time their occupation takes up, if they have kids, financial situation..etc).   For me--I have a full time job managing a business, on top of that--I have my own business, and I'm also a landlord---and I still manage to do the vast majority of the things on that list myself. Occasionally my sister or mom will stop by and they'll cook a meal--but that's just family being family.  The one that made me say I occasionally outsource is the "graphic" design one.   I'm just not super fluent in that skill set--so anytime I do need something in that realm--I do outsource that. I also do pay a housekeeper to tidy up my house on a weekly basis--but my friends and family give me a hard time because I pretty much tidy up and clean the place before she even arrives. One other poster mentioned car maintenance (oil changes and things of that nature)--and I also do outsource that.   Between how much it would cost you to do it yourself, the time it would take--and then having to deal with the disposal of the toxic byproducts--I'd rather pay slightly more to have somebody else deal with the those burdens.  

See, I don't change my own oil, for example. But the author above takes it an extra step to have someone call and make that appointment for them and someone to bring in the car and wait to have it done, it seems.

Users who are viewing this thread