What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Hillis (1 Viewer)

Bill S

Footballguy
I am in a non-PPR league and am considering starting Hillis in my flex spot.

Here are my other options:

Santonio Holmes

BenJarvus - I don't think he is going to do much against Buffalo

Norwood

With Selvin Young probably out tonight, I'm thinking that Torian will need a lot of help in carrying the load. Torian has been out all season and only had 4 carries this season. Hillis is coming off a monster game and is pretty quick for a big man.

I would say so, no one in my league has picked him up and right now CBS shows him as 2% started, so most people don't have any faith in him apparently. -- I'm just curious if anyone has any opinion on whether hillis was being used as a fill-in for Scheffler as a practical matter, not literally as a TE, but filling the same function in the passing game? Graham just got 1 reception. There was also no running game. If Scheffler's out again maybe this happens again?

I am in a non-PPR league and am considering starting Hillis in my flex spot.Here are my other options:Santonio HolmesBenJarvus - I don't think he is going to do much against BuffaloNorwoodWith Selvin Young probably out tonight, I'm thinking that Torian will need a lot of help in carrying the load. Torian has been out all season and only had 4 carries this season. Hillis is coming off a monster game and is pretty quick for a big man.
Thanks. I just posted this message in that forum.

I think this is a good place to post this. I am curious what people think about Hillis.

I saw a post earlier this week that mentioned there had been talk on the local radio about Shanny possibly starting his fullback Hillis much like he did with Droughns.

Also someone had posted a link to Torrains highlight clips which may have been one of the most unimpressive highlight clips ever.

Add that Torrain is a rookie coming off an injury and managed 1 yd on 3 carries this past weekend vs. Hillis 100+ yd and TD receiving performance and I think it is a very legit question

you don't start fullbacks in fantasy football.

not unless they get converted to tailbacks, anyway.

i guess maybe in 20 team leagues, or occasionally in PPR leagues?

i can't recall ever starting a fullback in 15 years. maybe Keith Byars once or twice.

you don't start fullbacks in fantasy football.not unless they get converted to tailbacks, anyway.i guess maybe in 20 team leagues, or occasionally in PPR leagues?i can't recall ever starting a fullback in 15 years. maybe Keith Byars once or twice.
Alstott was a pretty good FB/RB for a while and worth an occasional spot start (not that I did, but he was definitely startable for a few years and was by many). Besides that, maybe Heath Evans for a week or two last year? Before that, maybe Larry Cszonka.

Last edited by a moderator:
guppy ww pickup of the week, and even worse guppy play of the week.
I guess I am a guppy. Took over a team with Edge and Addai as the RB's (dynasty with Bradshaw, Chester as well) and have been very unsuccessful at making a trade. I feel like I have nothing to lose by starting Hillis this week and certainly expect very little out of him.

i'm not so sure this is the same type of situation as Patrick Cobbs or Leonard Weaver. Hillis wasn't just breaking freak long plays. he was in as part of the base goal line package and looked like a legit outlet receiver for Cutler. i said in another thread, i think the chances of Hillis scoring a TD are as good if not better than Torain scoring. if you're hurt by byes and injuries, he might be worth a ppr flier.

i'm not so sure this is the same type of situation as Patrick Cobbs or Leonard Weaver. Hillis wasn't just breaking freak long plays. he was in as part of the base goal line package and looked like a legit outlet receiver for Cutler. i said in another thread, i think the chances of Hillis scoring a TD are as good if not better than Torain scoring. if you're hurt by byes and injuries, he might be worth a ppr flier.
Guppy or not, that is my thought as well.

Also, Shanny has converted FBs to RBs before -- see Reuben Droughns. So he's a better pickup than your average fullback who had an unexpected big game. Not that I necessarily expect he'll be Droughns part 2.

Now Hillis is on film/tape...his little route out in the flats just might be covered now.

you don't start fullbacks in fantasy football.not unless they get converted to tailbacks, anyway.i guess maybe in 20 team leagues, or occasionally in PPR leagues?i can't recall ever starting a fullback in 15 years. maybe Keith Byars once or twice.
What about a guy named Mike Alstott??

Now Hillis is on film/tape...his little route out in the flats just might be covered now.
Yes but Pittman is no longer around and he was pretty successfull at the goal line ... might Hillis pickup the goal line carries or is that impossible with such a proven commodity as Torrain there?

What about a guy named Mike Alstott??
Zack Crockett comes to mind as well -- from 2000 to 2003, he averaged 7 TD's a season. Larry Centers also had a couple of good seasons. Good bye week fillers, they were, even in non-PPR.

Then you and MDSinner knock yourselves out and plug in Hillis :lmao: It's understandable if you don't have decent options because of byes or injury, but if you're playing with a flex I'd much rather take a chance on some WR #3 than Hillis.

From NFL Draft Scout:

While Darren McFadden and Felix Jones have been the featured runners in the Razor-backs' powerful running attack the last three seasons, Peyton Hillis was a valuable contributor for Arkansas, and possibly its most versatile athlete.

During his time at Arkansas, Hillis was utilized as a fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver, kickoff returner and punt returner.
He doesn't appear to be a typical FB.

Then you and MDSinner knock yourselves out and plug in Hillis :unsure: It's understandable if you don't have decent options because of byes or injury, but if you're playing with a flex I'd much rather take a chance on some WR #3 than Hillis.
Don't get me wrong, I would take about 40 WR's over Hillis myself.

From NFL Draft Scout:

While Darren McFadden and Felix Jones have been the featured runners in the Razor-backs' powerful running attack the last three seasons, Peyton Hillis was a valuable contributor for Arkansas, and possibly its most versatile athlete.

During his time at Arkansas, Hillis was utilized as a fullback, H-back, tailback, tight end, wide receiver, kickoff returner and punt returner.
That was College.

From NFL Draft Scout:

That was College.
Did he forget how to play those positions or become less athletic? Does what you did in college only count for McFadden and Jones?

BTW, as a Cutler owner, I HATE this kid...... :lmao:

He keeps plunging in short TDs from inside the 10. Cutler used to pass for those scores before he came along.

From NFL Draft Scout:

That was College.
Get a clue. Learn your team's players. Had McFadden and Jones not been there the kid would have been a top 5 SEC RB. Mainly because of his additional receiving ability. They guy isn't going to have dazzle moves that will make the highlight reel, though some of his catches can amaze. Quality guy, big blocker, very tough. He will have a solid career in the NFL but isn't likely to be a top 10 RB. He will be a dam good combo back, blocker and special teams guy.

How about this for a shock...

Depending on how the last 4 weeks play out, Peyton Hillis could be the rookie RB from Arkansas with the most Rushes, Rushing Yards, Receiving Yards, and Touchdowns in 2008.

BTW, as a Cutler owner, I HATE this kid...... :hophead:

He keeps plunging in short TDs from inside the 10. Cutler used to pass for those scores before he came along.
Really? Because I thought Michael Pittman was running for those scores earlier in the year. Perhaps last season this was true but Shanny likes having a guy to finish off long drives on the ground and this year he apparently has a guy that can get the job done.Get used to it.

BTW, as a Cutler owner, I HATE this kid...... :lmao:

Really? Because I thought Michael Pittman was running for those scores earlier in the year. Perhaps last season this was true but Shanny likes having a guy to finish off long drives on the ground and this year he apparently has a guy that can get the job done.Get used to it.
I'm not gonna go back through every box score, but to the best of my recollection, Pittman was running in scores from the 1 and the 2 yard line. Hillis gets pitched the ball from around the 10 and beyond, and he takes it in from there. Sucks...

Coach Mike Shanahan said in his post-game press conference Sunday that the Broncos have switched to more of a power running attack to suit Peyton Hillis' downhill style.

Long known for their zone-blocking scheme, the Broncos may turn to a ground-and-pound attack for the rest of the season if they plan to keep Hillis as a starter. He generated 5.9 YPC on 22 carries against the Jets' No. 3 run defense and figures to keep the job when Selvin Young (groin) returns. | 11/30/2008 10:50:00 PM

Source: Rocky Mountain News

Coach Mike Shanahan said in his post-game press conference Sunday that the Broncos have switched to more of a power running attack to suit Peyton Hillis' downhill style. Long known for their zone-blocking scheme, the Broncos may turn to a ground-and-pound attack for the rest of the season if they plan to keep Hillis as a starter. He generated 5.9 YPC on 22 carries against the Jets' No. 3 run defense and figures to keep the job when Selvin Young (groin) returns. | 11/30/2008 10:50:00 PM Source: Rocky Mountain News
If it can be trusted, that is huge info for Hillis owners.

Could be a stud next week vs KC if Selvin is still out and Peyton wasnt seriously hurt on that last drive
Here's what I think as a Broncos fan (or at least what I hope, as a Hillis owner):Even if Selvin comes back, Hillis should stay the main RB. Today, Hillis had 22 rushing attempts. Tatum Bell had 0. PJ Pope had 0. If Shanahan wanted to give some rushes to a speedier guy, he would've given the ball to one of them. But he didn't. So why would he give the ball to Selvin when he comes back? It's not like he's shown a whole lot so far this year. That's why Pittman was given the starting job earlier in the season. Besides just his injuries, Selvin is apparently not a starting RB.

Hillis can catch the ball out of the backfield. And more importantly, he can grind out yards on the ground. Turn losses into small gains...turn small gains into 8-yard gains. In the past, Denver has relied on the running game to turn in the big plays. The big plays that would spark the drive and put the Broncos ahead. But this year, it's the pass. The big pass sparks the drive and puts the Broncos ahead. I feel as if the running game is being used to keep defenses honest and grind out yards when necessary. But the big plays that used to come from the running game (from backs like Tatum Bell) are now coming from the passing game, with deep passes to Marshall and Royal.

Hillis should remain the starting RB because a shift in the Broncos offensive philosophy has occurred. They don't need Selvin Young or Tatum Bell in there to break off 30-yard gains. That's what the passing game is for now. They need big Peyton Hillis to crack some helmets and get the tough yards that the other guys can't get, and set up the big play-action deep passes.

Selvin Young, whom I presume is the biggest threat to take carries away from Hillis, SUCKS!

He is softer than Parkay margarine. Not even strong enough to be called BUTTER!

Anyways, Shanahan hates his ###!

Unless Hillis gets hurt then he is the best white running back since Mike Alstott!

Yes, I said it! Now sue me!

Btw, the injury at the end of game for Hillis was getting hit in the sac! He is was on the field for the kneel downs afterwards and will be fine for next week!

Selvin Young, whom I presume is the biggest threat to take carries away from Hillis, SUCKS!

Unless Hillis gets hurt then he is the best white running back since Mike Alstott!

Btw, the injury at the end of game for Hillis was getting being hitting in the sac! He is was on the field for the kneel downs afterwards and will be fine for next week!
Would someone please translate this into English please?

Btw, the injury at the end of game for Hillis was getting being hitting in the sac! He is was on the field for the kneel downs afterwards and will be fine for next week!
What part don't you understand?His sac = His ####

Young is soft = He can't play through injuries

Overall though I think the English in the post is pretty good though

Take out either "getting" or "being", and change "hitting" into "hit" and you should be all set.HTH

What part don't you understand?His sac = His ####

Young is soft = He can't play through injuries

Overall though I think the English in the post is pretty good though
getting being hitting?really?

Take out either "getting" or "being", and change "hitting" into "hit" and you should be all set.HTH
Yeah you are right. I'm drunk! But it has been corrected and even when I am sober I will stand behind the premise of my post.

Wasn't there an ESPN commercial asking who was this years Ryan Grant? Think we've found him folks. Teams who snagged him have to be feeling mighty good right now.

BTW, as a Cutler owner, I HATE this kid...... :popcorn:

If you read Raider Nation's post's in general I would say they are full of BS but, that would be an insult to BS. :banned:

Users who are viewing this thread