What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Peyton Manning (1 Viewer)

Manning didn't lose that game, he just didn't win it for them either. He played solid. Nothing about this game takes away what he did this year.

Rivers did not win this game for his team either. They won as a team and heavily on the shoulders of big plays by Sproles and as mentioned above Scifres (phenomal kicking tonght and totally controlled the field position).

jesseasi said:
Trust me, if Manning were in closer games and playing from behind - just as the Chargers were all season long - he would have thrown for way more TD's. Plus factor in the final week of the season were Manning only played the first series.
Manning was in close games or playing from behind quite often. The Colt's actually came real close to losing 6 of their first 7 games as the Vikings and Texans were a little inept in close games. After that, most Colt's games were very close, 18-15, 24-20, 33-27, 23-20, 10-6.... Don't let the facts cloud your judgement.You really want to discuss whet he "could have done" in week 17 against a team that isn't trying? Sitting down and staying healthy is as much part of the game as weather conditions.ETA... I'm no big fan of Rivers and think he is somewhat of a punk. I do agree that, with a little less luck, the Colt's could be 10-6 (and out of the play-offs) and, with a little more luck, the Chargers could be 10-6. I know "you are what you are"... just pointing out that sometimes there is very little difference between victory and defeat. Its somewhat fitting they'll get to decide this head-to-head.
I've found that teams, coaches, front offices and players that blame bad luck on losses are generally the teams, coaches, front offices and players that are just plain losers. The fact of the matter is that the margin of error in the NFL is EXTREMELY small. The difference between an elite player and a scrub is surprisingly small. A tenth of a second or 2 inches of separation for a receiver are big deals at this level of play.Earlier this season, the defensive coordinator for the Lions made a comment saying that their defense really wasn't that bad. He said that the only difference between the Lions and the top defenses was that the Lions made 2 or 3 bad plays that accounted for like 30% of the yards that they gave up each game. But that's exactly the point. The top teams in the league DON'T make those mistakes. They DON'T give up those plays. It's not luck that they don't give up those plays. They're just good enough that they don't.So the Colts may have won a bunch of close games, but the fact is that they won them. That's what good and great teams do. They win close games. For instance, the Bears lost 3 games by 4 points or less. That's why they finished 9-7 and are sitting at home.
To be honest, I can't tell if you agree or disagree with me. But I thought I was clear that the difference between winning and losing (at times) was minimal. That doesn't necessarily mean repeatable (unless you're talking Patriots over Bills). For example, one of the Bolt's hard luck losses was the blown Hochuli call. Every game can hinge on a simple thing; a slip, a blown call, a tipped ball. To boil it down to the "good teams always find a way to win" is just wrong.Kudos for bringing an 0-16 team into the discussion.Apparently the Colts aren't a good or great team because they would have found a way to win tonight?

Manning didn't lose that game, he just didn't win it for them either. He played solid.
I'll agree that Manning didn't lose that game, but if the Charger DBs were able to catch half of the balls that Peyton threw at them, we might be singing a different tune.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good God man. Manning outplayed Rivers tonight.
Waitaminute... so now winning is no longer the criteria? That seems awfully convenient.
Winning means everything. SD fans should be writing thank you letters to that punter and Sproles. It just so happens that Rivers wasn't a major factor in the victory.
So the 12 first downs that he threw for were what? Meaningless?

Waitaminute... so now winning is no longer the criteria? That seems awfully convenient.
Winning means everything. SD fans should be writing thank you letters to that punter and Sproles. It just so happens that Rivers wasn't a major factor in the victory.
He didn't suck the whole game. He had his moments, but he wasn't the difference in this game.

He didn't suck the whole game. He had his moments, but he wasn't the difference in this game.
No. He wasn't THE difference, but he certainly was A difference.And he definitely was THE difference that the Chargers were even playing tonight.

manning had one good broken play. other than that. he pretty much did nothing

All I have to add is Rivers led his team to first in their division Manning led his team to 2nd in their division.
Is this shtick, or are you really this clueless?
ooops somebody's apple cart just got upset. That sucky 8-8 team and QB just beat the superior 12-4 team and the MVP to boot.
Did you watch the game, or are you still being clueless and spouting nonsense? The Chargers won because of Darren Sproles, their defense and Mike Scifres. Rivers was outplayed quite a bit by Manning.
Who won again? :lmao: Why don't you wipe yor nose you little baby, you're embarrassing yourself with your juvenile behavior. Sleep tight!
Yes, Sproles and Scfires had big games but do you really think Manning was that good? He could have been picked 3-4 times and his numbers really benefited from the long Wayne TD which was a heads-up play but a bit flukey.At the end of the game, his yardage numbers look OK but that is partly due to their one dimensional offense. SD outgained them by 100 yards on the ground.

No. He wasn't THE difference, but he certainly was A difference.And he definitely was THE difference that the Chargers were even playing tonight.
Agreed. And I think most of us (except for the obvious dumb-dumbs :lmao: :thumbup: ) know that what happens in the playoffs has nothing to do with who wins a regular season award.

All I have to add is Rivers led his team to first in their division Manning led his team to 2nd in their division.
ooops somebody's apple cart just got upset. That sucky 8-8 team and QB just beat the superior 12-4 team and the MVP to boot.
Did you watch the game, or are you still being clueless and spouting nonsense? The Chargers won because of Darren Sproles, their defense and Mike Scifres. Rivers was outplayed quite a bit by Manning.
Who won again? :lmao: Why don't you wipe yor nose you little baby, you're embarrassing yourself with your juvenile behavior. Sleep tight!
This is funny. Rivers outplayed Manning all season, but Manning is viewed as the better QB due to Manning's team having 4 more wins. Now, Rivers' team beats Manning's team, but you want to talk about the fact that Manning played better. Which is it?

Who won again? :rolleyes: Why don't you wipe yor nose you little baby, you're embarrassing yourself with your juvenile behavior. Sleep tight!
This is funny. Rivers outplayed Manning all season, but Manning is viewed as the better QB due to Manning's team having 4 more wins. Now, Rivers' team beats Manning's team, but you want to talk about the fact that Manning played better. Which is it?
San Diego looked great tonight on defense, and well, that punter was unbelievable, and Sproles has a future as a full time RB. Rivers had his moments tonight, so I'm not calling him puke or anything like that, but you have to admit Manning looked better than Rivers. The SD team looked better than Indy.

San Diego looked great tonight on defense, and well, that punter was unbelievable, and Sproles has a future as a full time RB. Rivers had his moments tonight, so I'm not calling him puke or anything like that, but you have to admit Manning looked better than Rivers. The SD team looked better than Indy.
You didn't answer the question.

Who won again? :rolleyes: Why don't you wipe yor nose you little baby, you're embarrassing yourself with your juvenile behavior. Sleep tight!
Manning looked marginally better than Rivers, but only because the San Diego DBs dropped 3 or 4 interceptions. It's not like Manning was on top of his game - he led the Colts to points on 3 of 12 drives, with one of those being a play where the defense was substituting and not ready. (It's to Manning's credit that he caught them on that, but the point is that other than that fluke, he led them to points on 2 of 11 drives.) Manning deserves his share of the blame for this loss.

I think as a Chargers season ticket holder - I will take this playoff win over any MVP award. Chargers won tonight because of Sproles and their kicking game. Both QB's failed to make plays in key moments. Rivers INT into the end zone and taking a horrible sack on a 3rd and long situation to knock them out of field goal range. Thank goodness for a questionable holding call that converted 3rd and 10 to setup Sproles for the game winner.Manning could have won the game if he could have converted a first down when they had the ball at the 2 with 2:30 to go. He took a horrible sack and put his punter is a very precarious situation.Both QB's made bad throws tonight that if the defenses knew how to catch - they both could have had 3-4 INT's So to single Manning out for making bad throws is pretty weak. Tonight the better team won. If the Chargers don't shoot themselves in the foot (INT in end zone and fumble into endzone) - they win going away.Either way - on the discussion of MVP awards - Manning deserved it. If Rivers wants to win one someday - he too will need to learn how to play the Public Relations game and shed his "punk/cry baby" persona.On a side note - did we see the passing of the torch tonight? LT on the sideline watching Sproles light it up is becoming all too familiar of a sight.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread