What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick one WR to play ONE game RIGHT NOW - Who? (1 Viewer)

see below for clarification(s)

• Torry Holt

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Marvin Harrison

• Terrell Owens

• Randy Moss

• Chad Johnson

• Steve Smith

• Hines Ward

• Larry Fitzgerald

• Anquan Boldin

• Santana Moss

• Javon Walker

• Plaxico Burress

• Darrell Jackson

• Andre Johnson

• Chris Chambers

• Other (Hope I didn't miss anyone)

• Total voters
TO and Randy Moss are still a tier above everyone else imo, and it really isn't that close. They are quite possibly two of the three best WRs of all time(Rice obviously being the other). Steve Smith is coming off of a great year, so hes getting a lot of love, but its only one year. Has Smith had any other top 3 finishes in his career? Hes a nice player and all, but hes not one of the best WRs of all time. TO and Moss are. I went with TO for the vote.

Folks are getting sidetracked here.

The question is not who is the Best WR in the NFL.

It is who would you want to play in their present situations in order to help their teams to win right now, today?

TO and Moss are out of the running for this, just based on the uncertainty of their situations. TO has a whole new team, offense and QB to get used to. Moss has a new QB and who knows what else.

Neither could perform even close to S. Smith and H. Ward if they had to play with their present teams today.

Folks are getting sidetracked here.

The question is not who is the Best WR in the NFL.

It is who would you want to play in their present situations in order to help their teams to win right now, today?

TO and Moss are out of the running for this, just based on the uncertainty of their situations. TO has a whole new team, offense and QB to get used to. Moss has a new QB and who knows what else.

Neither could perform even close to S. Smith and H. Ward if they had to play with their present teams today.
I took the question as implying that we were in control of a team and we could choose one WR to put on our team for one game. So every WR would be playing on the exact same team. Kind of like the old QB theoretical that asked "If you had to pick one QB to win a game for you, who would it be?"

Grove Diesel,

You may be right ... I cannot tell. I assumed that we had to pick them from among their present situations.

If I can pick and choose and place them among other active players on a team I can make up without regard for their actual teams, then I would probably change some of my rankings ...

If that's the question, it's Ward. Case closed.Not how I read it though.

Grove Diesel,

You may be right ... I cannot tell. I assumed that we had to pick them from among their present situations.

If I can pick and choose and place them among other active players on a team I can make up without regard for their actual teams, then I would probably change some of my rankings ...
I was the poll creator and my thought was who would you take without a team he's playing for. Sort of like you can pluck this guy out of the air and show up with him to play a Super Bowl with. The team is non-existent in this circumsatnce. Evaluate the WR based on how good he is. However, an interesting point has been raised that some would take Moss if they knew their QB was going to have a live arm and T.O if their QB had more of an average arm. I didn't account for that. But you can assume that all of these guys will be playing with the same team and QB.

10 Marvin Harrison choices is mind boggling. Maybe they understood the question to mean "who is the LAST top flight player you would want for one game?"

Marvin becomes mister invisible in big games, and his name shouldn't even be on the list.

Chad Johnson is not the man in big games either, although he has only played a couple.

Thanks for the clarification Englishteacher!

Upon further review, I still have trouble deviating from my first pick of Hines Ward. He is the only Super Bowl MVP in the group.

Those backing TO should really re-consider based on historical fact.

Steve Smith, Randy Moss and Hines Ward all significantly have out-performed TO during prime time situations. Consider the following data:

Rec Yds YPC TD's

Randy Moss [8 games] 4.4 90.4 20.7 1.1

Steve Smith [7 games] 6.4 105.6 16.4 0.9

Hines Ward [10 games] 5.7 76.1 13.4 0.8

Terrell Owens [9 games] 5.3 75.1 14.1 0.4

Marvin Harrison [10 games] 4.5 64.2 14.3 0.2

Terrell has the 2nd worst statistical totals for the following major categories. Yards/ Game, TD's/ Game and Yards/ Catch of all receivers reviewed. To me, this clearly points to the fact that others are $.

As some have pointed out, Marvin Harrison has significantly under-performed during the post-season. All but one of Marvin's 10 post-season games have been with Peyton Manning. Is it the chicken or the egg?

Those backing TO should really re-consider based on historical fact.

Steve Smith, Randy Moss and Hines Ward all significantly have out-performed TO during prime time situations. Consider the following data:

Rec Yds YPC TD's

Randy Moss [8 games] 4.4 90.4 20.7 1.1

Steve Smith [7 games] 6.4 105.6 16.4 0.9

Hines Ward [10 games] 5.7 76.1 13.4 0.8

Terrell Owens [9 games] 5.3 75.1 14.1 0.4

Marvin Harrison [10 games] 4.5 64.2 14.3 0.2

Terrell has the 2nd worst statistical totals for the following major categories. Yards/ Game, TD's/ Game and Yards/ Catch of all receivers reviewed. To me, this clearly points to the fact that others are $.

As some have pointed out, Marvin Harrison has significantly under-performed during the post-season. All but one of Marvin's 10 post-season games have been with Peyton Manning. Is it the chicken or the egg?
Looks like Steve Smith is the daddy. Are there any rushing and kick return stats available for these prime time games???

Statistically, you are correct BassNBrew.

Except for the fact that Hines Ward has a couple of things that Steve Smith does not have. The Lombardi Tropy and a Super Bowl MVP.

Except for the fact that Hines Ward has a couple of things that Steve Smith does not have. The Lombardi Tropy and a Super Bowl MVP.
Base your decision however your want. There are plenty of Super Bowl MVPs that aren't even in the upper quarter at their respective position. I'd love to have Ward on my team in a heart beat, but to say he can impact a game like Steve Smith won't fly with me.

Base your decision however your want. There are plenty of Super Bowl MVPs that aren't even in the upper quarter at their respective position. I'd love to have Ward on my team in a heart beat, but to say he can impact a game like Steve Smith won't fly with me.
You're right, he doesn't impact the game like Steve Smith. He's a different type of receiver, and makes a huge impact in his own way.

The case for Smith would be a lot more credible if Muhammad hadn't put up ridiculous numbers in 2004, then looked above average at best in Chicago. If we renamed the poll "Which receiver benefits the most from his quarterback locking in to him", then I can see voting Smith. Otherwise, it's Owens.

This isn't even a question really... anyone with half a brain would take Owens, he is one of the few guys that can and does take over big games. Also, I'm surprised Holt didn't get more votes :S... They don't call him 'big game' for nothin'.

This isn't even a question really... anyone with half a brain would take Owens, he is one of the few guys that can and does take over big games. Also, I'm surprised Holt didn't get more votes :S... They don't call him 'big game' for nothin'.
I thought his nickname was "Big Play" Torry Holt ? :confused: Maybe I'm wrong.

This isn't even a question really... anyone with half a brain would take Owens, he is one of the few guys that can and does take over big games.
What if your half a brain was able to remember all the times that Owens screwed over his teammates and coaches? The risk is not worth the reward, especially when you consider how great these other WRs are in this discussion.

The case for Smith would be a lot more credible if Muhammad hadn't put up ridiculous numbers in 2004, then looked above average at best in Chicago.  If we renamed the poll "Which receiver benefits the most from his quarterback locking in to him", then I can see voting Smith.  Otherwise, it's Owens.
TO v. SSTO reception to target % / McNabb (Garcia) completion %2003: 54.8 / 57.42004: 61.1 / 64.02005: 51.1 / 59.1As you can see, TO's catch percentage always lags his QB's completion percentage.SS reception to target % / Delhomme completion %2003: 62.4 / 59.22004: 75 * / 58.22005: 68.7 / 60.2Here are the targets per game for the two of them.2003: TO 9.7, SS 8.8

2004: TO 9.0, SS 8 *

2005: TO 13.1, SS 9.4

Once again the stats tell the true story. TO is targeted more often, catches a lower percentage of the balls, and catches a lower percentage of balls relative to his QB's overall completion percentage. The guy that is "locked onto" is really TO.

Oh, but what about Muhammy's magic year. Try 159 targets or 9.9 per game. Muhammy's reception percentage that year was 58.5. Now compare that to Smith's 68.7%.

Seriously Fred, look at the numbers and put away the preconceptions. Steve Smtih is in another stratosphere relative to Muhammy and TO when it comes to catching passes. I've even now managed to remove the QB from the equation with the latest stats.

Attention FBG STAFF - The targets in the 2005 career stats section don't match the game log section.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're right.Those with more than that realize there's more than one way to win a game.

The case for Smith would be a lot more credible if Muhammad hadn't put up ridiculous numbers in 2004, then looked above average at best in Chicago.  If we renamed the poll "Which receiver benefits the most from his quarterback locking in to him", then I can see voting Smith.  Otherwise, it's Owens.
TO v. SSTO reception to target % / McNabb (Garcia) completion %2003: 54.8 / 57.42004: 61.1 / 64.02005: 51.1 / 59.1As you can see, TO's catch percentage always lags his QB's completion percentage.SS reception to target % / Delhomme completion %2003: 62.4 / 59.22004: 75 * / 58.22005: 68.7 / 60.2Here are the targets per game for the two of them.2003: TO 9.7, SS 8.8

2004: TO 9.0, SS 8 *

2005: TO 13.1, SS 9.4

Once again the stats tell the true story. TO is targeted more often, catches a lower percentage of the balls, and catches a lower percentage of balls relative to his QB's overall completion percentage. The guy that is "locked onto" is really TO.

Oh, but what about Muhammy's magic year. Try 159 targets or 9.9 per game. Muhammy's reception percentage that year was 58.5. Now compare that to Smith's 68.7%.

Seriously Fred, look at the numbers and put away the preconceptions. Steve Smtih is in another stratosphere relative to Muhammy and TO when it comes to catching passes. I've even now managed to remove the QB from the equation with the latest stats.

Attention FBG STAFF - The targets in the 2005 career stats section don't match the game log section.
I'm not making the case that Delhomme targets Smith more. I'm making the case that he's very good at completing passes to his #1 receiver, and his #1 receiver catches the ball very well. I'm not making the case that Owens isn't targetted, or catches the ball as well as Smith. I'm making the case that he's better at the wide receiver position than Smith. That's not a criticism of Smith, who I think is an elite receiver. I think it's just that Delhomme is freakishly good at finding the open man and hitting him in stride. In fact, I think he's got the ability to be one of the top QBs in the NFL if he can start spreading the ball around better, but for now, it seems like he's really good at hitting the guy who's open.

But the combination of:

- Smith's lower numbers when he shared time with Muhammad

- Muhammad's huge numbers when Smith got hurt

- Muhammad's dropoff when he wasn't playing with Delhomme

- the spike in Smith's numbers when Muhammad left

all support the thought that Delhomme has at least as much to do with Smith's success as Smith himself.

Meanwhile, the combination of:

- Garcia's top 2 fantasy numbers with Owens

- Garcia's inability to hold a job without Owens

- McNabb's good passing numbers without Owens

- McNabb's great passing numbers with Owens

- San Francisco's winning record with Owens

- San Francisco's losing record without Owens

- Philadelphia's improved record with Owens

all support the thought that Owens has improved his quarterbacks, and teams, immensely.

But putting all that aside, I think when you watch the game, Smith is very good at getting open, very good at making moves in space, great in the open field, and is deceptively strong for a guy his size. Owens is all of those things, and is bigger, stronger, and just as good in the open field. Smith, as you point out, may have better hands. But Owens is still the better receiver.

I'm not making the case that Delhomme targets Smith more. I'm making the case that he's very good at completing passes to his #1 receiver, and his #1 receiver catches the ball very well. I'm not making the case that Owens isn't targetted, or catches the ball as well as Smith. I'm making the case that he's better at the wide receiver position than Smith.

That's not a criticism of Smith, who I think is an elite receiver. I think it's just that Delhomme is freakishly good at finding the open man and hitting him in stride. In fact, I think he's got the ability to be one of the top QBs in the NFL if he can start spreading the ball around better, but for now, it seems like he's really good at hitting the guy who's open.
So Delhomme is freakishly good at completing passes to Smith, but then his accuracy evaporates when he throws to Muhammy or the rest of his teammates. Remember that Moose caught only 58.5% of his targets when Delhomme's completion % was 58.2. Sorry, but the that myth has been busted. The reason Smith's reception % was so high wasn't Delhomme, it's because Smith can get open and catch the ball at an elite level.
But the combination of:

all support the thought that Delhomme has at least as much to do with Smith's success as Smith himself.
Here we go again with myths that have taken on a life of there own.a) Smith's numbers for his last 16 games in 2003 had him at rough 100-1400-10. Delhomme had a tight leash when he assumed the starting role in 2003. Most FBG's disregarded the obvious evidence of Smith's last 16 games in 2003 and missed the mark in predicting his output in 2005. I argued this in depth last year and was mocked by most of the staff for predicting Smith's success in 2003.

b) I've already shown Moose's numbers didn't compare to Smith's on a reception percentage basis. A bulk of his stats were driven by the sheer number of targets.

c) Obviously Muhammy's numbers are going to drop with a rookie QB throwing to him. That would apply to most any WR. Let's also not forget the Muhammy had a history of blowing up big in contract years and the disappearing once a big contract is signed.

d) I already discredited this to an extent, but would like to add the thought that last year was just Smith's 3rd full year as a full time starter. Could it be that he's matured into an elite WR. Interesting enough, Owen's seemed to follow a similiar development path.

all support the thought that Owens has improved his quarterbacks, and teams, immensely.

But putting all that aside, I think when you watch the game, Smith is very good at getting open, very good at making moves in space, great in the open field, and is deceptively strong for a guy his size. Owens is all of those things, and is bigger, stronger, and just as good in the open field. Smith, as you point out, may have better hands. But Owens is still the better receiver.
I'm not arguing that Owen's isn't great. He does have some attributes that are superior to Smith. However the bottom line is that Smith is just more productive on a per target basis. The extent of this better production surprised me as I researched it. From a receiving standpoint, I'd put them on par together. When I include the threat of Smith running the back and returning punts, it adds up to wanting Smith more than Owen's for ONE game. Regarding your statement's above, Smith can even top that.- Delhomme's inability to start in this league without Smith on the roster.

- Carolina going to the Super Bowl and NFC Championship with Smith.

- Carolina failing to make the playoffs without Smith

- Carolina's improved record with Smith.

Owen's made good teams great. Smith elevates a non-playoff team to a championship contender.

Wow, this is getting good. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: Can't believe we're still talking about this. Awesome.
Sorry that I showed up late to the game and brought some stats to back up an opinion. This seemed to derail this thread with the exception of Bfred who's not afraid to bring it and back it up. I'll try to get things back on track...Moss is the greatest evah, he is a freak. Moss may even be better than Reggie Bush. If you think otherwise, you've never watched a football game in your life and have been oVVned.

Sorry, but that's just a silly argument IMO. That's like saying you'd rather have Trent Dilfer in his prime over Dan Marino because Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Or perhaps you'd rather have Doug Williams over Marino? Ward's Super Bowl line: 5 receptions, 123 yards, 1 TD

Owens's Super Bowl line: 9 receptions, 122 yards, 0 TD

So they basically performed the same in the Super Bowl. And, IMO, if the 2004/2005 Eagles played against the 2005/2006 Steelers, the Eagles would have wiped the floor with them. The Eagles shot themselves in the foot against a very good Patriot team but could have won the game anyway. That was the same Patriot team that whipped the Steelers. We could very easily be talking about T.O. and his Super Bowl MVP award.

Wow, this is getting good.  :popcorn:   :popcorn:   :popcorn:   Can't believe we're still talking about this. Awesome.
Sorry that I showed up late to the game and brought some stats to back up an opinion. This seemed to derail this thread with the exception of Bfred who's not afraid to bring it and back it up. I'll try to get things back on track...Moss is the greatest evah, he is a freak. Moss may even be better than Reggie Bush. If you think otherwise, you've never watched a football game in your life and have been oVVned.
No its good that you have. I was just commenting on the good discussion. Hey, I'm here to learn like everybody else. I had Smith as #3 myself and wasn't that certain of my choice, Moss.

I didn't read through all of the responses but to me it's pretty simple. The topic says RIGHT NOW.

Steve Smith is the obvious choice.

I'm not arguing that Owen's isn't great. He does have some attributes that are superior to Smith. However the bottom line is that Smith is just more productive on a per target basis. The extent of this better production surprised me as I researched it. From a receiving standpoint, I'd put them on par together. When I include the threat of Smith running the back and returning punts, it adds up to wanting Smith more than Owen's for ONE game. Regarding your statement's above, Smith can even top that.

- Delhomme's inability to start in this league without Smith on the roster.

Owen's made good teams great. Smith elevates a non-playoff team to a championship contender.
Those statistics only prove that Smith catches a higher percentage of passes thrown his way, nothing more, nothing less. How about the fact that 8% of T.O.'s receptions are for TDs while only 5.6% of Smith's are for TDs? I would think that TDs would be a pretty important measure of productivity when evaluating an actual game.Furthermore, I think that yards per target is probably a better measure of production than just receptions per target. Smith bests Owens here 9.03 yards to 8.35 yards.

Even with that, I'll take the Owens who is 42.8% more likely to score a TD when targeted versus Smith who will gain 8.1% more yards per target.

I also think it's disengenous to compare a player's reception to target ratio to the overall team ratio, especially since Owens has always played in the WCO where there are lots of short dump offs to RBs and TEs. I think it is somewhat relevant that SS catches a higher percentage of balls thrown his way than Owens, but throwing in the overall teams' numbers just muddies the waters.

I'm not arguing that Owen's isn't great.  He does have some attributes that are superior to Smith. However the bottom line is that Smith is just more productive on a per target basis.  The extent of this better production surprised me as I researched it.  From a receiving standpoint, I'd put them on par together.  When I include the threat of Smith running the back and returning punts, it adds up to wanting Smith more than Owen's for ONE game.  Regarding your statement's above, Smith can even top that.

Owen's made good teams great.  Smith elevates a non-playoff team to a championship contender.
Those statistics only prove that Smith catches a higher percentage of passes thrown his way, nothing more, nothing less. How about the fact that 8% of T.O.'s receptions are for TDs while only 5.6% of Smith's are for TDs? I would think that TDs would be a pretty important measure of productivity when evaluating an actual game.Furthermore, I think that yards per target is probably a better measure of production than just receptions per target. Smith bests Owens here 9.03 yards to 8.35 yards.

Even with that, I'll take the Owens who is 42.8% more likely to score a TD when targeted versus Smith who will gain 8.1% more yards per target.

I also think it's disengenous to compare a player's reception to target ratio to the overall team ratio, especially since Owens has always played in the WCO where there are lots of short dump offs to RBs and TEs. I think it is somewhat relevant that SS catches a higher percentage of balls thrown his way than Owens, but throwing in the overall teams' numbers just muddies the waters.
Maybe Delhomme just needs to get Smith more involved...Smith: 18 redzone ops, 7 TDs

Owens: 10 redzone ops, 3 TDs

Once again, Smith is more productive than Owens. Seriously people, stop running with these preconceived ideas. Could the reason TO's TD to catch ratio is higher is the fact that he drops more passes and it's impossible to drop a TD catch after the fact. :ph34r:

The sample size isn't significant, but Reggie Brown caught 64.3% of his targets in common games with TO.

I'm not making the case that Delhomme targets Smith more.  I'm making the case that he's very good at completing passes to his #1 receiver, and his #1 receiver catches the ball very well.  I'm not making the case that Owens isn't targetted, or catches the ball as well as Smith.  I'm making the case that he's better at the wide receiver position than Smith. 

That's not a criticism of Smith, who I think is an elite receiver.  I think it's just that Delhomme is freakishly good at finding the open man and hitting him in stride.  In fact, I think he's got the ability to be one of the top QBs in the NFL if he can start spreading the ball around better, but for now, it seems like he's really good at hitting the guy who's open.
So Delhomme is freakishly good at completing passes to Smith, but then his accuracy evaporates when he throws to Muhammy or the rest of his teammates. Remember that Moose caught only 58.5% of his targets when Delhomme's completion % was 58.2. Sorry, but the that myth has been busted. The reason Smith's reception % was so high wasn't Delhomme, it's because Smith can get open and catch the ball at an elite level.
I agree with everything in this paragraph except that this myth has been busted. You're correct, Smith gets open and catches the ball at an elite level. You're correct that Smith is better than Muhammad. And you're correct that he has a higher reception % than other receivers. All of those things make him a good receiver. Now put him in front of Jeff Garcia, and see what happens. I just don't see him being nearly as productive as he was with Delhomme, or as Owens was.

Do you remember Albert Connell? He worked out all offseason with Brad Johnson, and the two of them got into this incredible rhythm together. The next year, he put up a 211 yard receiving game with Johnson. He was out of the league two years later.

Sometimes a QB gets in a zone with his best receiver. That seems to be Delhomme's MO. There are certain fantasy football truisms that you follow until they fall apart - I want the Denver running back, I want the QB that throws to Owens, and I want the top receiver that Delhomme throws to.

I'm not arguing that Owen's isn't great. He does have some attributes that are superior to Smith. However the bottom line is that Smith is just more productive on a per target basis. The extent of this better production surprised me as I researched it. From a receiving standpoint, I'd put them on par together. When I include the threat of Smith running the back and returning punts, it adds up to wanting Smith more than Owen's for ONE game. Regarding your statement's above, Smith can even top that.

Maybe Delhomme just needs to get Smith more involved...Smith: 18 redzone ops, 7 TDs

Owens: 10 redzone ops, 3 TDs

Once again, Smith is more productive than Owens. Seriously people, stop running with these preconceived ideas. Could the reason TO's TD to catch ratio is higher is the fact that he drops more passes and it's impossible to drop a TD catch after the fact. :ph34r:

The sample size isn't significant, but Reggie Brown caught 64.3% of his targets in common games with TO.
I'm not sure why you would suddenly decrease the sample size down to just this past season first of all. Secondly, doesn't limiting things to redzone ops just mean that T.O. has an even larger edge outside of the redzone in TDs per target? I'm not sure why you would shrink the data to just the redzone when the full numbers give a more complete picture. Once again, I think I'll take the guy that is more of a threat to score from anywhere. They're both great WRs and I'm sure that there are plenty of ways to bend and group stats to make the argument for either guy. I just wanted to demonstrate that just because you supplied those particular statistics to the debate, it did not signal the end of the debate. I just happen to prefer T.O.'s size. I believe that it makes him tougher to double team and benefits the running game more. Like I said previously though, I wouldn't blink an eye if I had to take Smith instead.

But the combination of:

Here we go again with myths that have taken on a life of there own.a) Smith's numbers for his last 16 games in 2003 had him at rough 100-1400-10. Delhomme had a tight leash when he assumed the starting role in 2003. Most FBG's disregarded the obvious evidence of Smith's last 16 games in 2003 and missed the mark in predicting his output in 2005. I argued this in depth last year and was mocked by most of the staff for predicting Smith's success in 2003.

b) I've already shown Moose's numbers didn't compare to Smith's on a reception percentage basis. A bulk of his stats were driven by the sheer number of targets.

c) Obviously Muhammy's numbers are going to drop with a rookie QB throwing to him. That would apply to most any WR. Let's also not forget the Muhammy had a history of blowing up big in contract years and the disappearing once a big contract is signed.

d) I already discredited this to an extent, but would like to add the thought that last year was just Smith's 3rd full year as a full time starter. Could it be that he's matured into an elite WR. Interesting enough, Owen's seemed to follow a similiar development path.
Yes, I think Smith has evolved, and is continuing to evolve, into an elite receiver. And his development path may be like Owens'. I agree that Smith was outstanding at the end of 2003, and that he's better than Muhammad. None of what you said contradicts the notion that Delhomme is making Smith's numbers better than they would be with a quarterback who wasn't as adept at hitting his #1 receiver.

I'm not arguing that Owen's isn't great. He does have some attributes that are superior to Smith. However the bottom line is that Smith is just more productive on a per target basis. The extent of this better production surprised me as I researched it. From a receiving standpoint, I'd put them on par together. When I include the threat of Smith running the back and returning punts, it adds up to wanting Smith more than Owen's for ONE game. Regarding your statement's above, Smith can even top that.- Delhomme's inability to start in this league without Smith on the roster.

Delhomme's inability to start without Smith on the roster? That's like claiming that David Patten is the only reason the Patriots won a Superbowl, because of Tom Brady's inability to start until he got there in 2001. Then they won a bunch of Superbowls, and then once he left, the team fell apart. By your argument, I'll say that Smith is at least as good as Patten. Or we can agree that while Delhomme wasn't drafted as a starter, Carolina paid him like one to get him there because it was clear he was emerging. And like a lot of good young QBs, he had good accuracy and good field vision, but maybe doesn't go through his progressions very quickly. Or maybe it's just that his other receivers haven't been very good.

I will agree with your argument that Smith has made non-playoff teams into championship contenders, though. I think you're discrediting Owens by saying he hasn't done the same, though, since Owens had a pretty nice game in the Superbowl, and through an incredible individual effort helped the 49ers to make the second biggest comeback in playoff history.

Both of them are elite receivers. I just think Owens is better.

I'm not sure why you would suddenly decrease the sample size down to just this past season first of all. Secondly, doesn't limiting things to redzone ops just mean that T.O. has an even larger edge outside of the redzone in TDs per target? I'm not sure why you would shrink the data to just the redzone when the full numbers give a more complete picture. Once again, I think I'll take the guy that is more of a threat to score from anywhere.

They're both great WRs and I'm sure that there are plenty of ways to bend and group stats to make the argument for either guy. I just wanted to demonstrate that just because you supplied those particular statistics to the debate, it did not signal the end of the debate. I just happen to prefer T.O.'s size. I believe that it makes him tougher to double team and benefits the running game more. Like I said previously though, I wouldn't blink an eye if I had to take Smith instead.
I reduced the sample size to this season because we are talking about "NOW". Obviously TO wins hands down when discussing total careers. Last season both were performing at an elite level and had a full season under their belt with their current QB. Expanding from the redzone, Smith is still superior in finding paydirt.TO: 95 targets, 6 TDs - 6.5%

SS: 150 targets, 12 TDs - 8.0%

So who is more of a threat?

I not using these stats to knock TO. The purpose was to bust some of the myths used to claim TO is hands down better...

Smith is force fed the ball...actually more applicable to TO and Muhammy.

Smith isn't a red zone threat...actually out performed TO last year.

Smith just picked up where Moose left off...actually he blew away Moose's productivity in catching the ball.

Smith didn't produce when Moose was in town...his last 16 games of 2003 were at a 100-1400-10 clip.

Smith can't get open like TO can...catch to target ratio defeats this.

But the combination of:

Yes, I think Smith has evolved, and is continuing to evolve, into an elite receiver. And his development path may be like Owens'. I agree that Smith was outstanding at the end of 2003, and that he's better than Muhammad. None of what you said contradicts the notion that Delhomme is making Smith's numbers better than they would be with a quarterback who wasn't as adept at hitting his #1 receiver.

But putting all that aside, I think when you watch the game, Smith is very good at getting open, very good at making moves in space, great in the open field, and is deceptively strong for a guy his size.  Owens is all of those things, and is bigger, stronger, and just as good in the open field.  Smith, as you point out, may have better hands.  But Owens is still the better receiver.

Delhomme's inability to start without Smith on the roster? That's like claiming that David Patten is the only reason the Patriots won a Superbowl, because of Tom Brady's inability to start until he got there in 2001. Then they won a bunch of Superbowls, and then once he left, the team fell apart. By your argument, I'll say that Smith is at least as good as Patten. Or we can agree that while Delhomme wasn't drafted as a starter, Carolina paid him like one to get him there because it was clear he was emerging. And like a lot of good young QBs, he had good accuracy and good field vision, but maybe doesn't go through his progressions very quickly. Or maybe it's just that his other receivers haven't been very good.

I will agree with your argument that Smith has made non-playoff teams into championship contenders, though. I think you're discrediting Owens by saying he hasn't done the same, though, since Owens had a pretty nice game in the Superbowl, and through an incredible individual effort helped the 49ers to make the second biggest comeback in playoff history.

Both of them are elite receivers. I just think Owens is better.
Well I think we were both exaggerating some of those points relative to Garcia and Delhomme. I will say the Smith has been a bigger impact player for the Panthers, but Philly was the better team beforehand if both players are removed from the equation.I do think your giving Delhomme too much credit for Smith's success. In 2003 Muhammy caught 54% of his targets, Smith caught 62.4%. Muhammy only improved to 58% when he was the focal point in 2004. Smith has keep that percentage over 60% for the last three years regardless of the circumstances. Although I'm not prepared to statiscally support it, I would contend that Garcia/McNabb are just as accurate if not more accurate the Delhomme. Smith's hands and in route adjustments make Delhomme look better then he is.

Why is it that the TO supporters refuse to look at historical fact.

TO is not even close to S. Smith, R. Moss or H. Ward.

TO is over 30 yards lower per game than S. Smith.

TO is over 15 yards lower per game than R. Moss.

TO is basically even with H. Ward with yardage.

Each of these other players has nearly twice as many TD's per game as TO!

Each of these players has a better playoff record than TO.

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

TO is certainly among the elite WR's in the NFL, but he has not played in the playoffs as well as these other 3. He should not be your choice ...

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

TO is certainly among the elite WR's in the NFL, but he has not played in the playoffs as well as these other 3. He should not be your choice ...
But... but... he played well in a SB with a broken foot thanks to a few illegal picks!

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

please explain how Randy Moss has been better in the playoffs than TO.BTW - your other stats are really menaingless; when TO came into the league he was not as dominant early on. Of course that says nothing about who the best player would be for one game today.

Unfortunately stats just cannot account for a question like this. Maybe they can for "who has been more productive in their own unique situation on their teams"; stats can speak to this.

"who would you want for 1 game with all other variables being nutral" = throw stats out the window and pick your favorite game breaker."

I voted for TO slightly ahead of both Moss and Smith. I suspect if you lined them all up and asked every coach to pick just one for a game they had to play for everything they own, TO would be the most rostered receiver, but perhaps not by as much as in this poll. TO has the better receiver intangibles, and this would factor in far more to the decision than what Steve Smith's target to completion ratio was with and without Mushin.

Stats are inconsequential here.

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

please explain how Randy Moss has been better in the playoffs than TO.BTW - your other stats are really menaingless; when TO came into the league he was not as dominant early on. Of course that says nothing about who the best player would be for one game today.

Unfortunately stats just cannot account for a question like this. Maybe they can for "who has been more productive in their own unique situation on their teams"; stats can speak to this.

"who would you want for 1 game with all other variables being nutral" = throw stats out the window and pick your favorite game breaker."

I voted for TO slightly ahead of both Moss and Smith. I suspect if you lined them all up and asked every coach to pick just one for a game they had to play for everything they own, TO would be the most rostered receiver, but perhaps not by as much as in this poll. TO has the better receiver intangibles, and this would factor in far more to the decision than what Steve Smith's target to completion ratio was with and without Mushin.

Stats are inconsequential here.
I highly doubt that and IIRC, this very question WAS asked to NFL GMs and coaches last year at random and Moss won by a count of 2 out of every 3 votes going to him.

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

:confused: I seriously have no idea how you came up with those numbers. First of all, here are YPG and TDs per game for career (I used games started):

Moss: 85.3 .82

TO: 82.3 .79

Smith: 89.5 .52

Ward: 65.0 .48

Here is from last season per game started:

Moss: 67.0 .53

TO: 109 .86

Smith: 97.7 .75

Ward: 65 .73

So for career TO is 3rd in yards per game but there's nowhere near 30 yards lower per game or anything even remotely close to that. He's second in TDs per game just barely behind Moss and considerably ahead of both Smith and Ward. And last season isn't even a contest. He flat out dominated everyone until he was suspended and de-activated. As great as Smith was last year he would have finished a pretty decent second behind Owens projected over the entire season. And let's not forget that Owens was playing with a QB that had a sports hernia and other injuries for those 6 games he played as well.

So if you could please provide the method of how you came up with your stats, that would be much appreciated.

I highly doubt that and IIRC, this very question WAS asked to NFL GMs and coaches last year at random and Moss won by a count of 2 out of every 3 votes going to him.
First off, the question asked IIRC, was if you could have either on your team (not for 1 game - but to deal with for an entire season) and at what point during the year was this questions asked (I honestly don't remember) Was it pre-suspension? pre-"rip my QB from the SuperBowl"?And for those spewing numbers that may put Moss slightly ahead of TO, keep in mind one thing:

The position of WR involves more than catching long passes - it involves downfield blocking, being a BELIEVABLE decoy (i.e. Moss, when standing at the line of scrimmage, isn't a very believable decoy) when plays are designed to go to the other side of the field and a number of other aspects. Moss might be good at running a go route, but TO is simply the best all around receiver in football. He'll block, he'll go over the middle to get you a first down and he too, can get open deep fairly well.

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

TO is certainly among the elite WR's in the NFL, but he has not played in the playoffs as well as these other 3.  He should not be your choice ...
:confused: I seriously have no idea how you came up with those numbers. First of all, here are YPG and TDs per game for career (I used games started):

So for career TO is 3rd in yards per game but there's nowhere near 30 yards lower per game or anything even remotely close to that. He's second in TDs per game just barely behind Moss and considerably ahead of both Smith and Ward. And last season isn't even a contest. He flat out dominated everyone until he was suspended and de-activated. As great as Smith was last year he would have finished a pretty decent second behind Owens projected over the entire season. And let's not forget that Owens was playing with a QB that had a sports hernia and other injuries for those 6 games he played as well.

So if you could please provide the method of how you came up with your stats, that would be much appreciated.
Your stats don't make any sense either. The only way you could come up with the TO number is if you divided his 10535 career yards by his 128 "starts". But he's actually played in 142 games. So you're including the yards in those extra 14 games.

GroveDiesel,

I used playoff stats as my earlier comment clearly shows.

TO is not even in the same category as the other 3 when it comes to a playoff game.

zoonation,

Stats under equivalent situations is really all you can look at ... Who under certain conditions rose to the occasion?

TO as I stated before is a premier WR in the NFL, but he has not risen to the occasion like Moss, Ward or Smith when the playoffs came around.

In fact he has failed to reach even 50 yards receiving in nearly 50% of his playoff appearances.

Moss' figure is 10%.

Ward's figure is only 20%.

Smith's figure is less than 30%.

On top of the fact that each of these WR have averaged 1 TD per playoff game and TO is less than 1/2 TD per playoff game.

You cannot pick and choose a single game either or discard certain games.

If you are going to completely ignore all logic and statistics, then at least state that your rationale is 100% gut.

First off, the question asked IIRC, was if you could have either on your team (not for 1 game - but to deal with for an entire season) and at what point during the year was this questions asked (I honestly don't remember) Was it pre-suspension? pre-"rip my QB from the SuperBowl"?And for those spewing numbers that may put Moss slightly ahead of TO, keep in mind one thing:

The position of WR involves more than catching long passes - it involves downfield blocking, being a BELIEVABLE decoy (i.e. Moss, when standing at the line of scrimmage, isn't a very believable decoy) when plays are designed to go to the other side of the field and a number of other aspects. Moss might be good at running a go route, but TO is simply the best all around receiver in football. He'll block, he'll go over the middle to get you a first down and he too, can get open deep fairly well.
The question as I recall had to do with the ability of the players and nothing more. I'm not totally sure as it was preseason last year, before Moss was hurt and before TO was a complete cancer to Philly. You are absolutly fooling yourself if you think that Moss, even if just standing there not running, does not occupy 2 or 3 defenders when healthy. You are also fooling yourself if you think he still does not block down field at all. Did you not watch the Oak/NE game last year when NE put 3 guys on him dang near the whole game? Did you not watch the playoff game 2 yers ago when Moss not only palyed hurt vs. GB, but caught 2 TD passes and threw the key block on Minn 1st TD on the long pass the the RB? I could go on and on....

Last edited by a moderator:

S. Smith is 5-2

R. Moss is 4-4

H. Ward is 7-3

TO is 4-5.

Your stats don't make any sense either. The only way you could come up with the TO number is if you divided his 10535 career yards by his 128 "starts". But he's actually played in 142 games. So you're including the yards in those extra 14 games.
You're right, I hadn't thought of that. I could recalculate but I'm fairly certain that the rankings wouldn't change a whole lot.

1 game, fully healthy, National Audiance, MOSS. MOSS. MOSS.

He is still a headcase, plays when he wants and can be a distraction, but for 1 game with everyone watching he can go for 3-225 before you know it. He is dangerous from your 10 or your opponents 15, IF HEALTHY FOR 1 GAME.

Users who are viewing this thread