What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pink Floyd Song Ranking Thread - Lists Due 5/1 (2 Viewers)

Anarchy99

Footballguy
This has been on my things to do list for years, and given that we are in the football offseason figured it was time to give things a go. Like the other music ranking threads (like the one I did for Led Zeppelin), I will use a point system to tabulate the votes. People can rank up to 25 songs. Their top song will earn 25 points. Their #25 song will earn 1 point. To encourage people to participate, people don't have to create a list of 25 songs. If people only want to do as few as 10 songs, they can do that as well.

Wikipedia lists 218 songs recorded by the band, so we will use that as the options for people to pick from. DO NOT just post your list in this thread. Compile and organize your list and then send me a PM, and I will keep track of all the ballots. For now, there is no set timeline for people to get back to me by. At some point, I will get tired of waiting and set a cutoff date. The more people that participate, the more interesting the results should be (at least theoretically). Since some of their songs have numbers, please indicate which song you want at that point in your list (for example, ABITW1, ABITW2, ABITW3). Please send me a list with your favorite song listed first and your least favorite song last. It would also help if you numbered your selections . . . 1 - Comfortably Numb, 2 - Money, 3 - Several Species Of Small Furry Animals Gathered Together In A Cave And Grooving With A Pict, Etc.

I really hope that people can give me ONE LIST and not send me a half dozen updates because they forgot certain songs or wanted to reorder them. That got overbearing last time around. If there is a specific version that you like more than others, let me know what that is (ie a specific live performance . . . as long as it is a PF song, you can pick a solo performance as your fave).

While people are busy submitting their lists, people can feel free to share stories of their misspent days of youth listening to the band and tripping, shows they went to, experiences they had involving all things Floyd, etc. Once all ballots are locked, I will start a new thread with a countdown of the songs. Have at it.

Last edited:
Saw Floyd at RFK for Momentary Lapse tour. My girlfriend at the time dumped me for her ex two weeks before the show and as we were going to double date she had "her" two tickets and I had mine. She brought the jerk and I went with my sister. The ex got trashed in the parking lot before the show and puked on dudes lap two songs into the set. I had a glorious time!

Floyd was fabulous as well.

Do I really have to treat Brain Damage / Eclipse as separate songs?
I caught grief for Heartbreaker / Living Loving Maid as one song last time. So treat each song as separate.
Brain Damage and Eclipse are companion songs. They belong together.
The band has multiple songs that could be grouped together. Happiest Days Of Our Lives / ABITW2. Empty Spaces / Young Lust. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (split into two parts). Speak To Me / Breathe. Time / Breathe (Reprise). In The Flesh? / In The Flesh. There are probably more. I don't really care how we do any of these, but we should decide before I get 25 lists one way and 25 lists the other way.

I caught grief for Heartbreaker / Living Loving Maid as one song last time. So treat each song as separate.
The band has multiple songs that could be grouped together. Happiest Days Of Our Lives / ABITW2. Empty Spaces / Young Lust. Shine On You Crazy Diamond (split into two parts). Speak To Me / Breathe. Time / Breathe (Reprise). In The Flesh? / In The Flesh. There are probably more. I don't really care how we do any of these, but we should decide before I get 25 lists one way and 25 lists the other way.
This is your show...you make the call, and others will learn to live with it.

This is your show...you make the call, and others will learn to live with it.
I am open for suggestions. Like I said, I don't care how we do it as long as people use the same parameters.
I know this doesn’t really solve the issue but just from a “feel” perspective “brain damage / eclipse” is different from the rest of those. I’ve heard a lot of them played separately on the radio (I’ve heard the pairings as well to be fair) but BD/E were never played apart as far as I can tell.

With all that it’s still your call and I wouldn’t care either way.

I think the threshold should be this: Does anyone listen to this song independently of the other? If the answer is no, then it's one song. Brain Damage/Eclipse ... I've never listened to one and not the other. Same with Shine, though that is a lot easier than it was 30 years ago now that I don't have to flip the cassette over in the tape deck

The entire side 1 of DSOTM belongs together.

You could say the same thing about the four sides of The Wall. But both had clear singles that got radio play outside of the album as a whole. In your example, Time is in that group of songs.

I am leaning toward counting Brain Damage / Eclipse as one song. In The Flesh? / In The Flesh as one song. Pigs On The Wing 1 / Pigs On The Wing 2 as one song. ABITW 1 / 2 / 3 as individual songs. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives as a standalone song. SOYCD combined as one song. Speak To Me / Breathe as one song. Time / Breathe (Reprise) as one song. Anyone strongly opposed to that break down?

I am leaning toward counting Brain Damage / Eclipse as one song. In The Flesh? / In The Flesh as one song. Pigs On The Wing 1 / Pigs On The Wing 2 as one song. ABITW 1 / 2 / 3 as individual songs. The Happiest Days Of Our Lives as a standalone song. SOYCD combined as one song. Speak To Me / Breathe as one song. Time / Breathe (Reprise) as one song. Anyone strongly opposed to that break down?
Not at all. I might say that the front and back ends of Shine are much different, but your call and fine either way.

I'm good either way on this as I would have clear preferences on most of these pairs.

Not at all. I might say that the front and back ends of Shine are much different, but your call and fine either way.
You are a high class, cultured individual with fine lineage and a proper upbringing . . . and thus would note the distinctions in songs and titles in the list you prepare. Others in the past, I'm afraid, were more suited for the Delta Tau Chi fraternity and were BFF's with John Belushi. To give you some behind-the-scenes insight for the LZ rankings, I asked for 25 songs. Some people gave me lists with 21 songs, others had 30. Some peeps provided the same song on their list three times. One person listed a couple of songs that weren't even Zeppelin songs. A couple of people gave me lyrics to a song (but not the title . . . or the proper lyrics). Not everyone that participates will be an uber-fan. There will be the Happy Gilmore crowd too.

You are a high class, cultured individual with fine lineage and a proper upbringing . . . and thus would note the distinctions in songs and titles in the list you prepare. Others in the past, I'm afraid, were more suited for the Delta Tau Chi fraternity and were BFF's with John Belushi. To give you some behind-the-scenes insight for the LZ rankings, I asked for 25 songs. Some people gave me lists with 21 songs, others had 30. Some peeps provided the same song on their list three times. One person listed a couple of songs that weren't even Zeppelin songs. A couple of people gave me lyrics to a song (but not the title . . . or the proper lyrics). Not everyone that participates will be an uber-fan. There will be the Happy Gilmore crowd too.
Must be the same people who submitted a list to Krista's latest countdown with no entries 3 to 5, and two number 31s.

A couple of people gave me lyrics to a song (but not the title . . . or the proper lyrics)

Please share these.
It was a while ago. I dumped all the lists long ago and couldn't tell you who voted for what anymore. I believe the non-LZ songs were Highway Star - Deep Purple and Into The Void - Black Sabbath.

IIRC, the lyrics but no song title selections were along the lines of "Janie, girl, you just need to go, but baby I love you" (D'yer Mak'er) and "The night of our love I was proud" song (Fool In The Rain). Nothing too crazy in terms of made up or wrong lyrics.

I don’t think the two Shine On… tracks should count as one. They are two different songs, and aren’t even back to back on the studio album. IMO, two tracks should only be combined if they are back to back on the original studio album.
There are some songs that should be combined that aren't next to each other. In The Flesh? and In The Flesh for example. People making including it on their list would likely pick the opening track not the one on Side 4.

Pigs On The Wing aren't next to each other, but they are basically the same song repeated (and the version with both songs combined is better anyway). The Gilmour version of Floyd played parts of both Shine On's but blended it into a single song. I get the feel and music are different in Parts 1-5 and 6-9. I've seen tribute bands play the whole thing as one song.

If you can get enough people that want Shine On as two songs, I don't mind having them as two songs.

But the Gilmour-lead version of Floyd never played every part of the entire Shine On experience. They played parts of both songs in their live version; it was almost always Part 1, 2, 4, 5 and 7. Think of it this way: can you combo the songs from the studio album and have it sound natural without some tweaking? Nope. The first song cross fades into Welcome to the Machine, and the second song still has the wind from the Wish You Were Here cross fade drifting off, so listening to them back to back has a jarring and very unnatural transition, thus combo-ing them does not work. I don't think the way tribute bands handle them is relevant at all. And they are not the same song repeated. The vocal melodies are the same, but they are very small parts of each song; it literally takes up less than a minute and a half of the second song (part 7 of the entire Shine On). Parts 6, 8 and 9 are all different melodies and themes from anything we heard in the first one.

With the three ABITW, I would leave I by itself, and then combo Happiest Days with ABITW2. That seems like the most logical way to do it.

I can't imagine Pigs on the Wing getting many votes, so I won't even address that one. :lol:

Speak to Me/Breath in the Air and Brain Damage/Eclipse are natural combos. Those ought to go without saying. Same goes for Time and Breath (Reprise), which I believe has always been just one track anyway on every Dark Side release (someone can correct me if I am mistaken).

I will add as well that I get that others may feel differently, and that's cool. I am just offering my perspective, that's all. (y) (y)

Users who are viewing this thread