What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff pay per view? No effing way (1 Viewer)

I warmed up to the NFL pkg on youtube TV - after the initial issues it worked well. Not a fan of watching games on Prime and Peacock - ridiculous
I understand youtube TV at least - you are paying for a service to get "every game" - i understand the restrictions.....

Agree this other stuff is nonsense

Everyone just calm down.
Take a pill.
Use your technology.
I have a Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card that I have had for a few years.
I am in their Capital One Shopping Program.
I just went to the Peacock site to look for a free trial,didn't find one,
So I clicked to sign up for a month at $5.99
When I did my Capital One Shopping program "popped up" with a discount offer.
If I use my Capital One Quicksilver Card to sign up for the month of Peacock at $5.99...
Capital One will give me an $8.00 rebate.
I am being PAID $2.01 to watch the Peacock game and get a month of Peacock.
Thank you Capital One.
Use your technology folks.
It’s not about the $5. You are missing the point
I want to enjoy everything I can during however much time I have left on this rock. If I have to pay a couple bucks to watch a nfl playoff game then **** it…I’m paying .
Me making a stand and refusing to pay isn’t going to change anything

You do realize you can do a free trial and then cancel correct? I already have Peacock. My oldest watches WWE pay-per-views on there.

Everyone just calm down.
Take a pill.
Use your technology.
If I use my Capital One Quicksilver Card to sign up for the month of Peacock at $5.99...
Thank you Capital One.
I want to enjoy everything I can during however much time I have left on this rock. If I have to pay a couple bucks to watch a nfl playoff game then **** it…I’m paying .
I have no issue with your choice. Just don't come crying to us when you will be paying way more than a couple bucks to watch way more than one nfl playoff game in the future after the NFL sees how many new subscribers that agree with your philosophy they get.

Everyone just calm down.
Take a pill.
Use your technology.
Thank you Capital One.
I have no issue with your choice. Just don't come crying to us when you will be paying way more than a couple bucks to watch way more than one nfl playoff game in the future after the NFL sees how many new subscribers that agree with your philosophy they get.
I posted above that I’ve been expecting this for years.

I promise I won’t come crying to you :lol:

the worst part about the streaming games is that you can't flip around channels...you have to exit and re-enter app every time if you want to go to another channel.

so dumb
Agreed. That's the main reason I didn't watch much Thursday night football this year, as if there is a hockey game or something else I want to check out here and there, I want to be able to flip over in an instant, not go through the whole uploading the app nonsense.

Everyone just calm down.
Take a pill.
Use your technology.
Thank you Capital One.
As a Giants fan I never thought I'd say this to a Cowboys fan,but,I totally agree with you

I think NBC is going to fail on this specific one. Yes it will all go streaming for specific content at some point. But I'm already paying for NBC through YouTubeTV, Hulu, Verizon, whatever. Slamming the content into a subsidiary network and pretending they don't already own the content ... that's shady. There's a reason boxing died and MMA took over. Putting everything essentially PPV disengages the masses, and you get a bunch of boxing geeks signing up for a boring 12 round puff piece. I think Amazon's Thursday night production and game quality has been horrible. I just don't see this yet with the NFL playoffs. I'm fine getting EPSN's 4 minute version of game highlights

the worst part about the streaming games is that you can't flip around channels...you have to exit and re-enter app every time if you want to go to another channel.

so dumb
Agreed. A company needs to figure this out soon. I don’t even mind the slight buffer going from channel to channel, nor needing to subscribe to a few different services. Having to bounce between Prime and my primary service took forever, and led me to rarely watch the Thursday games.

MIA-KC
Sat Night Peacock

Palm Beach County
Blackout on the local NBC...

-Palm Beach has a **** ton of fans that go down to the games at Hard Rock. It's only about an hour away
The outrage when some of these folks go to tune in at 8pm assuming it's on local TV as usual, they are in for a big surprise.

I'm really torn on this, has nothing to do with the $6 to have Peacock for a month

I'm really torn on this

Do you mean torn about watching the MIA game?

MoP, if you don't fork over the cash to watch the game your favorite team is playing, then you're making a miscalculation, IMO. A one-person boycott and all the rhetoric coming out of this thread ain't going to change a thing. Live a little. Enjoy it now. Your decision to watch the game or not is not going to affect the aggregate. The decision to go to pay-per-view is being made whether or not you watch.

Don't deny yourself a playoff game with your team in it. Those don't come around often.

This year is a wild card game, next year divisional...up until the Super Bowl is a ppv (which honestly after half a century, I'm shocked they've yet to try).

Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.
This. People want more for less. Color me shocked that this group of old dudes is shaking their fist and ranting.
I get what you guys are saying, but the model is still under construction. We as consumers have a chance to shape the model.

It's not that i want more for less. I want to watch football but I'm willing to skip this game. That's my problem but it's also the nfls problem. If it's not profitable for peacock/NBC, they won't keep doing it. If it costs the nfl eyeballs, they'll charge more to NBC for exclusive access than they otherwise would. That's good. It discourages this model. So there's a chance to shape this before it goes sideways like cable did.

Cable had a monopoly for a long time. If you wanted to watch ESPN you had to get the food network and lifetime. I don't want those. Then they had a chance to break up the monopoly with deregulation. Nope. ESPN charged a ton of money and their marketing team decided nobody would pay that just for ESPN so all of the cable companies offered a bundle of cheaper channels with it and you had to pay for things you didn't want.

Direct TV was supposed to be an alternative to that and guess what? They figured out that most of the people who used them did so because they couldn't get cable (mobile home, rural area, etc) or they wanted Sunday ticket. So they bundled everything around Sunday ticket and again forced you to buy packages you didn't want to get the "deal" on the thing you want.

This is the same thing happening again. Get Amazon. And YouTube TV. And you'll need to pay extra for Sunday ticket and red zone. Oh by the way you thought you were getting every game but you're not. We're going to change things up and make you get more stuff you don't want.

I don't mind paying to watch football. I think the price is already pretty high but whatever. I want to pay one price and watch what I want to watch. They're changing the price a little at a time after I've already paid for it, and they're bundling things I don't want so it feels like a better value. That's exactly what I didn't want. That's exactly what I refuse to support.

The problem isn't that I want more for less. It's that I want less for less and they're trying to make me pay more for more.

This year is a wild card game, next year divisional...up until the Super Bowl is a ppv (which honestly after half a century, I'm shocked they've yet to try).
I already barely watch the playoffs/SB/games in general if my team isn't playing so there's pretty much a 0.0% chance that I'll pay above and beyond what I already do to watch a game. I've never purchased any PPV of any type and won't be doing so for 15 minutes of actual play with 60+ more minutes of standing around and 2 hours of commercials and talk.

My ocd has finally pushed me over the edge and so I have to be that guy...

Airing this game on Peacock is not PPV!

It's close.

If I may borrow from Nas, sleep is the cousin of death.

To me, its like saying a show on Netflix is PPV. Its a subscription service like dozens of others, whereas "PPV" has a very specific meaning relating to purchasing a single event. I get that for some folks, they would be paying for a single event because there is nothing else of interest to them on Peacock, but that doesn't make this PPV. From my anecdotal perspective, this game is the opposite of PPV - its completely free because I've subscribed to Peacock for many years and will continue to do so regardless of this game, which I probably won't watch.

Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.
This. People want more for less. Color me shocked that this group of old dudes is shaking their fist and ranting.
I get what you guys are saying, but the model is still under construction. We as consumers have a chance to shape the model.

It's not that i want more for less. I want to watch football but I'm willing to skip this game. That's my problem but it's also the nfls problem. If it's not profitable for peacock/NBC, they won't keep doing it. If it costs the nfl eyeballs, they'll charge more to NBC for exclusive access than they otherwise would. That's good. It discourages this model. So there's a chance to shape this before it goes sideways like cable did.

Cable had a monopoly for a long time. If you wanted to watch ESPN you had to get the food network and lifetime. I don't want those. Then they had a chance to break up the monopoly with deregulation. Nope. ESPN charged a ton of money and their marketing team decided nobody would pay that just for ESPN so all of the cable companies offered a bundle of cheaper channels with it and you had to pay for things you didn't want.

Direct TV was supposed to be an alternative to that and guess what? They figured out that most of the people who used them did so because they couldn't get cable (mobile home, rural area, etc) or they wanted Sunday ticket. So they bundled everything around Sunday ticket and again forced you to buy packages you didn't want to get the "deal" on the thing you want.

This is the same thing happening again. Get Amazon. And YouTube TV. And you'll need to pay extra for Sunday ticket and red zone. Oh by the way you thought you were getting every game but you're not. We're going to change things up and make you get more stuff you don't want.

I don't mind paying to watch football. I think the price is already pretty high but whatever. I want to pay one price and watch what I want to watch. They're changing the price a little at a time after I've already paid for it, and they're bundling things I don't want so it feels like a better value. That's exactly what I didn't want. That's exactly what I refuse to support.

The problem isn't that I want more for less. It's that I want less for less and they're trying to make me pay more for more.

Its not entirely 'under construction' though as NBC and Peacock have a ton of experience and data and they know exactly what they are doing. Peacock has carried English soccer for many years. There are some games available on NBC or USA, some on ESPN, some on Paramount+ and others (most) exclusively on Peacock. We all hate it but we all pay for it. They do the same with rugby, including the Rugby World Cup this past summer. They have select Big Ten basketball games this season, such as the Purdue v Nebraska game last night, whereas other games are on BTN and others on ESPN or the big networks. The NBA and MLB are also already spread out across multiple broadcast platforms.

I disagree consumers have an opportunity to shape anything. NFL Football is the most popular and valuable product in our media, sports or otherwise. I would say anyone sitting this game out as some form of protest in hopes of influencing the future of NFL broadcast platforms is very admirable but just understand this is coming and we all will eventually pay for it. The performance of this one broadcast is probably 100% irrelevant. We can all get on board now or get on board later.

so dumb
Well, it depends.

So I have Hulu Live. So I get whatever CBS or Fox games they have this week. I can get in and out of a game through the Hulu app in literally 10 seconds.

BUT, and this is a big BUT....with streaming I can easily plug in a second TV next to my main TV and watch both games at once. It costs me the price of another TV, but I can buy a cheap TV for $125 for a nice 40" TV. Not having to pay a monthly fee for a cable box rental basically pays for this.

But then I can move that TV around. If I want to watch a baseball game on the patio in the summer - easy peasy. Or March Madness in my garage? I can easily move that TV out there along with the other TV's I have and watch all 4 games being broadcast at the same time. All the while not having to move and pay for cable boxes all the time.

It's a sports watchers golden era right now. I can literally watch any game I want. And I'm still paying less than I paid for cable.

It's glorious.

Someone upstream said that the game would be rebroadcast later that night in NFLN I believe so I'll catch it then.
I think it was me and it's set to rebroadact on NFLN not long after the game ends, at 11 PM CST.
My apologies for the bad info.

Saw the tweet below last night and was like what? Then I realized the game that is re-airing at 11PM CST is the Browns/Texans game.

We wouldn't advise this, but: For out-of-market Dolphins fans who don't want to get Peacock & don't want to find a restaurant/bar carrying Fins-KC, you can lock yourself in a dark room Sat. night (with no contact to outside world) & watch Fins-KC game on NFL Net at 3 a.m. Sunday.

now requires them to pay for what used to be accessible for free.
Unless you’re using rabbit ears (or similar) this hasn’t been free in many years.
$20 antenna from Amazon. Been using it for years.
Yep. Got one.l of those a few months ago . It's shaped like a mouse pad and sticks to window. Downloaded app that has local TV guide. The idea was to cuty cable cord. Just still haven't. Smh
I bought one but couldn’t get good reception
Very important to set it up near or on a window. Also, some come with signal boosters which can help. And your distance from a tower will make a difference, too.

By the way, cut the cord. I did it, and my only regret is not doing it sooner.
I'm 40 miles from the nearest station. Antenna Web says I need a large antenna with amp. And then I'd need to do that for 3 TVs. Pass.
One antenna, that runs into an over-the-air DVR. Then your Fire Stick/whatever device you use for streaming on each TV should be able to link to the DVR and you can watch on any TV.

I have a Fire Recast, which works great for this, but just saw that it was discontinued last year.

The way I see it is this is no different than cable companies mysteriously increasing your cable bill $2 a month every three or four months. This has been going on for YEARS. And anyone with cable has been dealing with this literally for the last 25 years.

I quit streaming about 4 years ago. My bill now STILL with streaming is about $30-40 a month cheaper than when I had cable. Depending on what I have chosen to stream at the time. And I'll add the Peacock app for a month to get this game.

Why? Because to me people that complain about "its the principle" is failing to understand that the consumer now has control of all of this instead of a cable company that can basically do whatever THEY want. Not what YOU want.

You want this game for free but are willing to bend over and just take that cable cost raise every few months for no reason? Be my guest - because you are gonna pay for this one way or the other.

I can easily cancel another app I'm not using for a month to offset that cost. Give me that control all day every day. And guess what? I have access to WAY MORE stuff than I ever had as a cable company and I'm STILL saving money.
I'm a cable guy and I don't disagree with this my biggest problem and it's just a me thing is I can't stand flipping in and out of apps and all that stuff. I'm just a old school flipper and bouncing it out of the apps annoys the s*** out of me. Plus currently I'd have to buy hardware for the 4 TVs in my house that are all hooked up to boxes right now

We just have a fire stick at every TV. They’re fast and all act like the exact same TV and you can pause it upstairs and continue where you left off downstairs.

so dumb
Well, it depends.

So I have Hulu Live. So I get whatever CBS or Fox games they have this week. I can get in and out of a game through the Hulu app in literally 10 seconds.

BUT, and this is a big BUT....with streaming I can easily plug in a second TV next to my main TV and watch both games at once. It costs me the price of another TV, but I can buy a cheap TV for $125 for a nice 40" TV. Not having to pay a monthly fee for a cable box rental basically pays for this.

But then I can move that TV around. If I want to watch a baseball game on the patio in the summer - easy peasy. Or March Madness in my garage? I can easily move that TV out there along with the other TV's I have and watch all 4 games being broadcast at the same time. All the while not having to move and pay for cable boxes all the time.

It's a sports watchers golden era right now. I can literally watch any game I want. And I'm still paying less than I paid for cable.

It's glorious.
This is my experience, too. I also have Hulu Live and setting up your recent channels for a day of channel surfing sports is easy. Just hit the down arrow on the remote (instead of the back button on a cable remote). It's a tiny bit slower, but only by a couple of seconds. Where it becomes a ***** is getting in and out of different apps (say, Hulu to Prime) - that takes longer. Luckily, I get most of my rush hour sports programming through Hulu (networks, ESPNs, FS, ESPN +, etc...), so that's not usually an issue. Plus, as Chief says, you can move TVs around without needing to be hardwired - I have a couple of TCL 37"s and those things can't weigh more than a couple of pounds.

All that said, I doubt I'll sign up for Peacock just to watch Saturday's game. It's not in protest, it's due to laziness and forgetfulness.

Same

TVG app also instead of paying extra for the channel through xfinity and the channel was sd, streaming the app in hd 😃

I'm sure it won't happen Saturday but I watch PFT on Peacock in the mornings in a Chrome window, and without fail several times a day during the 2 hours the video freezes. :oldunsure: Maybe tomorrow I'll work from the mancave and watch using the firestick/app to see if it also hangs. I can't imagine the outcry if the game video freezes.

I'm sure it won't happen Saturday but I watch PFT on Peacock in the mornings in a Chrome window, and without fail several times a day during the 2 hours the video freezes. :oldunsure: Maybe tomorrow I'll work from the mancave and watch using the firestick/app to see if it also hangs. I can't imagine the outcry if the game video freezes.
FWIW I watched the Sunday night games on peacock all season with Roku and it was great

FWIW I watched the Sunday night games on peacock all season with Roku and it was great
Yeah, thinking about it I've watched a few soccer games on the firestick app and those were fine.

so dumb
Well, it depends.

It's glorious.
You can technically do that with the xfinity app also. I just cast to my chromecast for my second screen. Don't doubt its not cheaper or "better" but cable now offers close to the same thing

The final score of this Frozen Pulled Pork Bowl is gonna be like 6-3, and buncha guys wearing New Balance are gonna be like, I paid 50 cents a point for this game!!

Free peacock with xfinity, so I’ll get the game. That said, I’ll be out at dinner with friends, so if it were on “normal” tv, my DVR would have it just waiting for me when I get home. Annoying.

Free peacock with xfinity, so I’ll get the game. That said, I’ll be out at dinner with friends, so if it were on “normal” tv, my DVR would have it just waiting for me when I get home. Annoying.
I could be mistaken but when I've used the peacock app I believe I could start the game from the beginning if I started late. I definitely do that with the ESPN app all the time, start hockey games after the 1st period is over so I can FF through the intermissions.

It’s a good ploy for peacock. the Holdovers is on there right now and Oppenheimer next month. A lot of people will be staying for a second month

If you have Peacock and want to watch the game, great.
If you don't have Peacock and want to get it to watch the game, great.
If you don't have Peacock and want to yell at The NFL to "get off my lawn" and refuse to pay for it,great.
The NFL is going to make more money off of this anyway no matter what you,I or anyone else does.
Welcome to the new normal...A LA Carte Programming.

Users who are viewing this thread