What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Playoff pay per view? No effing way (1 Viewer)

Maybe an offshoot thread but putting it here for similar discussion
Interesting. The Sunday Ticket phrase jogged my memory about a question I have. There was a regular season game on Peacock that was not available on the ticket. How did the NFL weasel their way tgru that loop hole?

Lots of games are excluded - CNET Link

"National games, such as Thursday Night Football on Prime Video, Sunday Night Football on NBC, Monday Night Football on ESPN and ABC and the games that air on NFL Network, Peacock and ESPN Plus are similarly not included with Sunday Ticket."

I wonder what ads sold for, and what kind of viewership numbers Peacock promised to the advertisers. That metric would seem to be quite important in determining the "success" of this venture.

Interesting. The Sunday Ticket phrase jogged my memory about a question I have. There was a regular season game on Peacock that was not available on the ticket. How did the NFL weasel their way tgru that loop hole?
Besides a couple London games it was the lowest rated game of the year

With NFL Sunday Ticket, you can watch your favorite teams’ out-of-market Sunday games*

*Locally broadcast Fox and CBS games, Sunday Night Football on NBC, select digital-only games and international games excluded from NFL Sunday Ticket.

Probably fell into one of three categories....

1. Not a Sunday game.
2. International game.
3. A select digital only game.

I don't think we should be rooting for the plaintiffs in this suit at all after reading the article.

Imagine every team getting to negotiate their own pay structure for televising their games out of market?

That would be a disaster. Better hope precedent holds here.

Last edited:
I don't think we should be rooting for the plaintiffs in this suit at all after reading the article.

Imagine every team getting to negotiate their own pay structure for televising their games out of market?

That would be a disaster. Better hold precedent holds here.

I don't understand how the plaintiffs have a case. I can't sue Kobalt or Allen Roth because they are exclusive to Lowes. Seems like Jones and Kraft would have to be the plaintiffs. If the NFL deems their product makes the most revenue by negotiating broad based TV deals how can anyone challenge that? I'm sure the NFL doesn't want an NBA situation where several teams can't even be watched by half the households in their local market.

I don't understand how the plaintiffs have a case. I can't sue Kobalt or Allen Roth because they are exclusive to Lowes. Seems like Jones and Kraft would have to be the plaintiffs. If the NFL deems their product makes the most revenue by negotiating broad based TV deals how can anyone challenge that? I'm sure the NFL doesn't want an NBA situation where several teams can't even be watched by half the households in their local market.

Not a lawyer and don't really follow how all this works but one thing I seem to recall from a similar case a while back is that "the NFL" isn't a business. It's like a trade group or something. The 32 teams are businesses. "The NFL" doesn't have a product, the teams do, and when they work collectively to negotiate deals it does brush up against some antitrust concerns.

That would be a disaster. Better hope precedent holds here.
It would be bad for business and probably chase many casual fans away.

College football deals by conference work partly because until recently conferences were generally regional. Maybe that could work in the NFL but it seems far better for everyone to keep the package together, mostly.

If the NFL deems their product makes the most revenue by negotiating broad based TV deals how can anyone challenge that?

Bass, I took a sports law class in law school and still don't understand the finer points of this. They're suing under antitrust law because they're claiming each team is an entity to themselves and should be able or have to negotiate each team's own price.

If the NFL deems their product makes the most revenue by negotiating broad based TV deals how can anyone challenge that?

Bass, I took a sports law class in law school and still don't understand the finer points of this. They're suing under antitrust law because they're claiming each team is an entity to themselves and should be able or have to negotiate each team's own price.
Initially I was going to post that a win here would basically make the salary cap and draft illegal. Then I realized that those fall under collectively bargaining so that wouldn't be a good statement. Now that I read your post, I think if each team is it's own entity, then the league wouldn't be authorized to collectively bargain for them.

Not a lawyer and don't really follow how all this works but one thing I seem to recall from a similar case a while back is that "the NFL" isn't a business. It's like a trade group or something. The 32 teams are businesses. "The NFL" doesn't have a product, the teams do, and when they work collectively to negotiate deals it does brush up against some antitrust concerns.
How many "trade groups" are allowed to collectively bargain?

Initially I was going to post that a win here would basically make the salary cap and draft illegal. Then I realized that those fall under collectively bargaining so that wouldn't be a good statement. Now that I read your post, I think if each team is it's own entity, then the league wouldn't be authorized to collectively bargain for them.

:shrug: Like I said, not my area of expertise. Trade group surely isn’t the right word for whatever legal structure the NFL is. I’m just saying I assume there’s some merit to this case, I’m 99% certain there is precedent for ruling that “the NFL” can’t act as a single entity (as opposed to 32 separate corporations) in matters like these.

I assume the NFL will settle out of court, anyone who had Sunday Ticket in the last decade will get a check in the mail for $3, and all will be forgotten.

:shrug: Like I said, not my area of expertise. Trade group surely isn’t the right word for whatever legal structure the NFL is. I’m just saying I assume there’s some merit to this case, I’m 99% certain there is precedent for ruling that “the NFL” can’t act as a single entity (as opposed to 32 separate corporations) in matters like these.

I assume the NFL will settle out of court, anyone who had Sunday Ticket in the last decade will get a check in the mail for $3, and all will be forgotten.
You are probably correct.

question to anyone...when you get one of these settlements does and the NFL to doed the same thing going forward and a new group of plaintiffs a SOL moving forward?

I’m just saying I assume there’s some merit to this case, I’m 99% certain there is precedent for ruling that “the NFL” can’t act as a single entity (as opposed to 32 separate corporations) in matters like these.

There is, but it was nullified by the Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961, which said they were allowed to act that way. Congress passed the bill as a specific carve-out into anti-trust law for the NFL. That's to the best of my understanding.

More streaming-only playoff games coming! Amazon Prime will have one exclusive playoff game next year. I know it's not that different from Thursday nights already...but the PPV NFL is happening...

Yeah, big difference. Aside from the fact that Amazon has 167M US subscribers to Peacock's 28M, one of the things that most annoyed people about this year's playoff game was that if you only cared about football, you had to pay for a single game. At least with Prime you know that your payment gets you 18 games over the course of the season

More streaming-only playoff games coming! Amazon Prime will have one exclusive playoff game next year. I know it's not that different from Thursday nights already...but the PPV NFL is happening...

Yeah, big difference. Aside from the fact that Amazon has 167M US subscribers to Peacock's 28M, one of the things that most annoyed people about this year's playoff game was that if you only cared about football, you had to pay for a single game. At least with Prime you know that your payment gets you 18 games over the course of the season
And with Prime you get free shipping on orders and nice music app. Ha ha

The music service used to be good and then, as with all free products, they deliberately made it crappy to force you to upgrade to the paid version. (See also, Evernote)

The music service used to be good and then, as with all free products, they deliberately made it crappy to force you to upgrade to the paid version. (See also, Evernote)
It's my only music streaming service I use. Zero commercials. As long as u keep each created playlist to 50 songs you have total control. I guess the only issue I have is you can't search just a song to hear that song. You have to search it, add it to a playlist, then play it. Guess I've never used any other ones to compare.

They're literally DARING people to stream these games, illegally.

Morons, man. People can barely put food on the table due to inflation, and they're finding ways to isolate their fans more than ever.

They're literally DARING people to stream these games, illegally.

Morons, man. People can barely put food on the table due to inflation, and they're finding ways to isolate their fans more than ever.

a billion people are going to watch a fixed game tommorow and enjoy it. And bet on it! Yay

Pay Per View is coming. It’s a choice folks will have to make. Just like going to a game…
Not offended that they're doing it, but I think in the long run it's a bad business strategy. They'll look at any one instance like last month's playoff game and declare it a success, but in the long run it limits the sport's appeal

Just imagine folks boycotting a game like tonight’s because they refuse to pay for it. I’m sure people will and that’s their prerogative, but then they’ll miss the show.

Pay Per View is coming. It’s a choice folks will have to make. Just like going to a game…
Not offended that they're doing it, but I think in the long run it's a bad business strategy. They'll look at any one instance like last month's playoff game and declare it a success, but in the long run it limits the sport's appeal
It's weird to me that people don't understand this. Look at boxing. The complete collapse of that sport didn't happen overnight. I remember talking about big fights with people when I was a kid, and now it barely even exists in popular consciousness.

Right now, the NFL has a massive, baked-in audience. People like me will fork over for streaming options if we have to, but that's because I've marinated in this sport my entire life. I'm bought in. The next generation of fans needs to be won over anew, and hiding your product behind a paywall doesn't help with that. That's not how you build mass-market appeal.

It's weird to me that people don't understand this. Look at boxing. The complete collapse of that sport didn't happen overnight. I remember talking about big fights with people when I was a kid, and now it barely even exists in popular consciousness.

Right now, the NFL has a massive, baked-in audience. People like me will fork over for streaming options if we have to, but that's because I've marinated in this sport my entire life. I'm bought in. The next generation of fans needs to be won over anew, and hiding your product behind a paywall doesn't help with that. That's not how you build mass-market appeal.
God help us if Don King starts promoting the NFL

Exactly. This is the nfl at its height. And they are going to destroy themselves with these changes. All to make some short term money

Users who are viewing this thread