What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Please Read - Big Change For The Forum - Asking For Your Grace - Forum Offline 8/1 (1 Viewer)

I take it there is no way to jump to the first unread post in a thread? That would be a big loss IMO.
It doesn't seem to work initially but, once you've reached the end of a thread, future visits (by simply clicking the thread in the threads list) will take you to the first unread post in that thread. I'm guessing in the transition they didn't import every user's "last read" post ID for every thread/user combination. So out of the gate seems like it doesn't work. Some users here said they marked everything read for an entire forum and so that took care of it but, obviously, that might inadvertently position them beyond some posts that they had not actually read.

@Memphis Foundry Please ignore if you already addressed this elsewhere. Thought I'd @ you here since multiple people have mentioned this. I know the new system is already adding data for which post each user last read in each thread but if it's still possible to import that data for threads we have not yet visited in the new system, that would be super helpful.

Last edited:
When the grace period passes, would not mine seeing the "similar threads" section go away.

Sorry but that's definitely staying. I think that's one of the better new features.
Is there a way to make it not go cross forums? i.e. I don't really want to see even the thread titles in the politics forum being similar to FFA subjects?
This. For the thread on the show Alone, all the "similar threads" are from the politics forum.

I take it there is no way to jump to the first unread post in a thread? That would be a big loss IMO.
It doesn't seem to work initially but, once you've reached the end of a thread, future visits (by simply clicking the thread in the threads list) will take you to the first unread post in that thread. I'm guessing in the transition they didn't import every user's "last read" post ID for every thread/user combination. So out of the gate seems like it doesn't work. Some users here said they marked everything read for an entire forum and so that took care of it but, obviously, that might inadvertently position them beyond some posts that they had not actually read.

@Memphis Foundry Please ignore if you already addressed this elsewhere. Thought I'd @ you here since multiple people have mentioned this. I know the new system is already adding data for which post each user last read in each thread but if it's still possible to import that data for threads we have not yet visited in the new system, that would be super helpful.

My guess is that there was an Invision table that held the data for last post read by user by thread and they either haven't ported the data over yet (if possible) or didn't bother. That was probably a fairly large table.

My guess is that there was an Invision table that held the data for last post read by user by thread and they either haven't ported the data over yet (if possible) or didn't bother.
The "last post read" feature wasn't working for me initially in the FFA's main COVID thread. However, I noticed that the last page or so of posts to that thread never made it over to the new board (I wonder if that has happened with any other threads?).

So what likely happened was that my "last post read" was something like "Post #10,101" ... but after conversion the last post number in that thread was something like "10,070". So, unable to send me to my last post read in that thread, I was sent to the OP.

When the grace period passes, would not mine seeing the "similar threads" section go away.

Sorry but that's definitely staying. I think that's one of the better new features.
Is there a way to make it not go cross forums? i.e. I don't really want to see even the thread titles in the politics forum being similar to FFA subjects?
You can hide that with ABP exclusions too if wanted
1. What is a "ABP exclusion?"

2. How do you hide it?

Overall really liking the new forum. I kind of miss the old look and feel but I can get used to this. Seems way more responsive and faster

Right below them is a bar with HOME>FORUMS>OUR FORUMS>FBG FFA (abbr)
Can that bar be moved to be ABOVE "similar threads" section? After reading a thread, I like to go on to other threads and have to scroll down to do this now. The "Next unread thread" feature apparently is not a feature here.

Of the five "similar threads" on this very thread, the Top two for me are from THIS thread. That seems a little odd.

I appreciate all the changes. This is much, much better than old board, and pages load 1000x faster.

I think it's much easier to just mark the entire forum as "read" and go on from there. After you do that, all titles will be bold that have posts you have not read yet.

Can that bar be moved to be ABOVE "similar threads" section? After reading a thread, I like to go on to other threads and have to scroll down to do this now. The "Next unread thread" feature apparently is not a feature here.

Of the five "similar threads" on this very thread, the Top two for me are from THIS thread. That seems a little odd.

I appreciate all the changes. This is much, much better than old board, and pages load 1000x faster.
I don't think it is from this thread. There are mulitple threads (posted in different forums) that have the same title for this subject. I am assuming JB did this to cover as many people as possible.

The top 2 similar threads have the same title as THIS thread, but they are in other forums (I see the politics forum and the shark pool)

The top 2 similar threads have the same title as THIS thread, but they are in other forums (I see the politics forum and the shark pool)
:ROFLMAO:

I don't think it is from this thread. There are mulitple threads (posted in different forums) that have the same title for this subject. I am assuming JB did this to cover as many people as possible.
they are from this thread. Exact same words as this thread title and the posts are dated at 9:16am and 5:29am TODAY
hmm. For me they are from the Political Forum and the SP forum

ETA: The same as Galileo

they are from this thread. Exact same words as this thread title and the posts are dated at 9:16am and 5:29am TODAY
hmm. For me they are from the Political Forum and the SP forum
I don't go to SP, and rarely go to PF, so how am I suppose to know? LOL. Not going to click on something I think I already read. LOL

Yes. Maybe a couple times a year, I'll post the same thread in multiple forums. This was one of those.

2. How do you hide it?
AdBlockPlus. If you have it installed on your browser, you can instruct it to hide (exclude) specific areas on a webpage.

2. How do you hide it?
AdBlockPlus. If you have it installed on your browser, you can instruct it to hide (exclude) specific areas on a webpage.
Well, I mean specifically how would it know to filter out only stuff from the politics board as a similar thread? I assume this is a nuke it from orbit situation or nothing.

Seems my avatar never migrated
We just imported about 600 of the missing avatars. They were stashed in the profile photo field for some reason. But yours is one of the ones we imported. There are about 250 or so who didn't have any matching data at all, so those are still blank.

I asked about that, but the import process doesn't pull the "read posts" data in. I'm guessing xenForo stores that data differently than Invision did so it's not a straight dump and load of a table. But there have been several things like the photo field avatars that their guy has never seen before. We've been on Invision since 1.2, so if we don't have it, it probably won't ever get accounted for in their importer.

Maybe I’m missing it but I don’t see the previous page link or the pages number (6 of 6 for example) at the top of the page but only the bottom. Is this a setting or just the new style? Would like to get it back at the top too if possible.
Seeing them both spots.

I did some testing and it appears on my laptop (using Microsoft Edge. It doesn't appear on my phone (iphone 13 using Chrome). Not a big deal but definitely miss it on mobile.

I am loving everything so far. The only item I would like to see tweaked is to increase the number of threads per page. But outside of that, everything is running smoothly and quickly.

I agree - being able to have more threads per page would be nice.

Only other thing so far, and it's a minor nitpick, is that on the old forum, you could mark an entire forum as read with one click without going into the forum, now it requires going into the forum to get to the mark forum as read. Probably more OCD than anything but I tend to mark everything as read, even the forums I don't frequent, just so I can see what is new since I last visited. Super minor as it's just a few extra clicks now.

2. How do you hide it?
Well, I mean specifically how would it know to filter out only stuff from the politics board as a similar thread? I assume this is a nuke it from orbit situation or nothing.
Oh... my apologies. You can't use ABP to just exclude posts from specific boards. It's the whole section.

Big thanks to @Memphis Foundry for shepherding this. I'll admit that I was so panicked that "important" threads and posts would be lost that I spent the better part of both July 30 and 31 saving wikkid's posts, my Beatles threads, etc. My concern was misplaced! Bravo.

Also, setting aside other improvements such as increased speed, the fact that we now don't see the posts from ignored users when they're quoted is alone reason enough to be happy.

I am loving everything so far. The only item I would like to see tweaked is to increase the number of threads per page. But outside of that, everything is running smoothly and quickly.

Only other thing so far, and it's a minor nitpick, is that on the old forum, you could mark an entire forum as read with one click without going into the forum, now it requires going into the forum to get to the mark forum as read. Probably more OCD than anything but I tend to mark everything as read, even the forums I don't frequent, just so I can see what is new since I last visited. Super minor as it's just a few extra clicks now.
Based on XenForo documentation, admins can change the number of threads/posts per page (applies to everyone), but users cannot.

Based on XenForo documentation, admins can change the number of threads/posts per page (applies to everyone), but users cannot.

We'll take a look. We're beyond scrambling trying to keep up with thingsin the busiest time of the year but we'll look to see what we may be able to do in the future. I'd guess it's a next m month thing though.

Seems my avatar never migrated
We just imported about 600 of the missing avatars. They were stashed in the profile photo field for some reason. But yours is one of the ones we imported. There are about 250 or so who didn't have any matching data at all, so those are still blank.
I’m sure you’re super busy, and I usually only ask this of my wife, but can you make my banana dance again?

I asked about that, but the import process doesn't pull the "read posts" data in. I'm guessing xenForo stores that data differently than Invision did so it's not a straight dump and load of a table. But there have been several things like the photo field avatars that their guy has never seen before. We've been on Invision since 1.2, so if we don't have it, it probably won't ever get accounted for in their importer.
mf, thx for the work. question, i have some posters on ignore. at the old board i wouldn’t see their posts or quoted posts when someone would respond to them, but i see those here. can that be tweaked? if i ignore you, i don’t want to see anything. thx

This. For the thread on the show Alone, all the "similar threads" are from the politics forum.
That is an interesting quirk. It looks like every one of those from the PSF are threads started by Gordon Gekko, not sure what in the algorithm is connecting his threads to a survival reality show, kind of funny.

You may try putting him on ignore to hide all of his content from you, see if that works.

eta: I just tried that and it did remove GG's threads from the similar threads section. His threads were replaced with a bunch of Shark Pool threads and 2 other PSF threads from random posters. Guess that won't solve your concern.

First upgrade in forum history that not only isn't hated, but actually liked?

Always said it was possible, never thought I'd see the day tho

Give it time...

LOL. Seriously, thank y'all for the grace on stuff. That made Keith's life a ton better. He was super worried (since he was doing the work) and I kept telling him how y'all had been so supportive and gracious. Thanks for that.

I do like the new forum. I admit, it's disorienting to see things in new spots after having the old forum so long. But I'm super optimistic about this and glad to be with Xenforo.
Love it, now you guys just have to get the RSS feed for the news feed working again PLEASE. Miss having the news in my reader.

Board really looks great. One small suggestion. Can this huge area at the bottom of the page be hidden? Not sure it provides anything.

Oh, please do this. Having to scroll past the threads I just don't care about every time is not fun. An option to hide this section would be fabu.

First upgrade in forum history that not only isn't hated, but actually liked?

Always said it was possible, never thought I'd see the day tho

Give it time...

LOL. Seriously, thank y'all for the grace on stuff. That made Keith's life a ton better. He was super worried (since he was doing the work) and I kept telling him how y'all had been so supportive and gracious. Thanks for that.

I do like the new forum. I admit, it's disorienting to see things in new spots after having the old forum so long. But I'm super optimistic about this and glad to be with Xenforo.
If I start to report a lot of posts, it's because of the location changes. I keep clicking it by mistake.

We'll take a look. We're beyond scrambling trying to keep up with thingsin the busiest time of the year but we'll look to see what we may be able to do in the future. I'd guess it's a next m month thing though.

Next month, end of season, whenever is convenient is fine. Both things I mentioned are very minor, but also know that if you don't at least mention them there is zero chance it gets looked at.

Next month, end of season, whenever is convenient is fine. Both things I mentioned are very minor, but also know that if you don't at least mention them there is zero chance it gets looked at.

We already fixed the number of threads per page issue.

Agreed. Just takes up space and seems arbitrary.

I agree it's silly in this forum, but I can see why it might be useful in the Shark Pool.

Yes, it's super useful in the Shark Pool forum. And let's be honest, without that forum, this forum couldn't afford to exist. Some of it's preventative in it's sometimes better to not have multiple threads if it's truly on the same topic. And that can help there. But it's also informative from a "cross pollination" angle in allow forum visitors to see other threads that may interest them. I think it's one of the best parts of the new upgrade and we'll be keeping it. But it might be possible in the future for users to hide it. Not sure. I know @Keerock is familiar with Xenforo documentation, maybe we can see something there and save @Memphis Foundry some work.

Users who are viewing this thread