What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Poll: What does Deshaun need to accomplish to justify his contract? (1 Viewer)

What accomplishment makes the Deshaun Watson signing "worth it?"

• Win at least one Super Bowl

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Reach at least one Super Bowl

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • Consistent playoff team

Votes: 21 23.1%
  • Consistent contender for a playoff spot

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • No accomplishment necessary. He's worth taking a chance no matter what happens.

Votes: 11 12.1%

• Total voters
Totally agree about this year. There are no “can’t miss” prospects ever. But Young is almost, if not totally, on par with Trevor heading into his junior year. 
True but as a middle of the pack team a guy like Young would not get to the point where the Browns could draft him. He is probably going to one of the bottom feeders, maybe even Houston.

True but as a middle of the pack team a guy like Young would not get to the point where the Browns could draft him. He is probably going to one of the bottom feeders, maybe even Houston.
Agreed. Football wise the Watson move makes all the sense in the world. Teams should be doing just about anything they can to either get an established franchise QB or getting into draft position to select a potential franchise QB (which is generally top 10). 

Because of the picks - He has to keep them in the playoffs the next 5 years

Because of the guarantee - He has to keep his nose clean and stay on the field

Injury not withstanding, he has to turn into the reason they continually make it or the combination of the deal + picks = bust. 

I didn't vote, but the more I think about it I guess I want consistent, high-level (top 5) QB play and I want him here for MANY years -- not just five!

Watson may be the QB that gets the Browns to the Super Bowl.  If that happens it will have been worth it.   

However giving up all of those picks and fully guaranteeing that contract is risky.   No one knows how it will play out and I appreciate a team going all in but yikes, it better pay off.

What do you expect? What reporter is going to risk their career, getting lynched by the woke mob, for supporting anything Watson related (right or wrong)?

What do you expect? What reporter is going to risk their career, getting lynched by the woke mob, for supporting anything Watson related (right or wrong)?
I mean, there’s also the very real possibility that the “woke mob” is right here. That Watson ends up losing or settling some of these civil suits because they have merit. 22 is a lot. 

I'm sure he's done slimy things. Don't doubt it at all. 
So yeah - that's my point. 

The negative PR (and IMO it will get worse before it gets better) is absolutely worth considering as a "cost" of this deal. 

It's not just the picks and the boatload of cash. There's going to be some well-deserved outrage in Ohio, and elsewhere over this situation. 

:popcorn:

Listen, this may sound cold... But the majority of noise is going to come ppl who don't even follow the NFL, but follow the news. 

Dr. Octopus said:
You also have to factor in three lost first rounders and other picks and that this contract isn’t just a “next QB up contract” it was well above the current baseline. So it is different. Would you be happy with the trade of the Browns are only a fringe playoff team for the next five years?
No, but I also wouldn't be happy if we didnt make the move and were a fringe playoff team every year.

These kinds of moves get people all crazy with unreasonable expectations.  If the Browns dont get to a super bowl this was a failure???  WTF???  A failure would be not making any gutsy moves to give yourself a chance.  I'm exceptionally happy that this FO doesnt seem to be making "keep your job" moves and are making "go for a super bowl" type of moves. 

This move specifically is successful if Watson plays well, period.  

Last edited by a moderator:
No, but I also wouldn't be happy if we didnt make the move and were a fringe playoff team every year.

These kinds of moves get people all crazy with unreasonable expectations.  If the Browns dont get to a super bowl this was a failure???  WTF???  A failure would be not making any guts moves to give yourself a chance.  I'm exceptionally happy that this FO doesnt seem to be making "keep your job" moves and are making "go for a super bowl" type of moves. 

This move specifically is success if Watson plays well, period.  
How many SB appearances have the Browns had without Watson? Not sure how suddenly he shows up and the bar is set at two years to get to the SB or the trade was an abject failure. 

I remember when Lebron went to Miami.  People still talk about how it was a failure to have only won two titles.  How many would the Heat have won if Bron and Bosh didnt go there?  Zero.

Such idiotic logic gets spewed out whenever teams make a bold move.

So if the Browns dont make the super bowl in the next 5 years, this move was a failure??

I guess that makes sense if you consider every team who doesnt make the super bowl in the next 5 years to be a failure.
The move the Browns made is a defining moment in the franchise's history. 

When you guarantee $230 million and trade 3 #1 draft picks for a franchise QB there should be some kind of expectations of playing in a Super Bowl, no?

Only the "woke mob" is against (alleged) sexual assault, I guess? I wouldn't even have responded to that nonsense.
Yeah, that went without saying. I was trying to be the bigger person.

I hate how these quaint euphemisms for “people facing consequences” have so permeated our daily lives. 

He has to win a Super Bowl. A healthy Mayfield would have had them a playoff contender. They were a couple bad calls away from AFC Championship game 15 months ago. 

He has to win a Super Bowl. A healthy Mayfield would have had them a playoff contender. They were a couple bad calls away from AFC Championship game 15 months ago. 
Call me crazy but a soft schedule and good health for the team got them into the playoffs, the Steelers were terrible and literally handed us points to start the game, and there was no chance were come close to beating KC if Mahomes didnt go out with a concussion.

Have you seen the landscape in the AFC these days? Even with Watson they could miss the playoffs . . . they might not even be a Top 10 team in the AFC after BUF, KC, DEN, CIN, LAC, LAR, TEN, IND, BAL, and NE (in some order). Who knows about MIA, but they should be better than NYJ, PIT, JAC, and HOU. Way too soon to tell with free agency and the draft still to play out.

The Browns lost plenty with a healthy Baker over the last few years. In 2020, they beat 8 bottom feeder teams . . . and lost to the 2-14 Jets. The scheduling gods were kind that season.

This year, they get BAL x 2, CIN x 2, PIT x 2, BUF, NE, MIA, NYJ, TB, NO, CAR, ATL, LAC, HOU, and WAS. People can make their own projects for the Browns record season. What happens with Watson and the games he is unavailable could make a big impact on the team's record in 2022.

Have you seen the landscape in the AFC these days? Even with Watson they could miss the playoffs . . . they might not even be a Top 10 team in the AFC after BUF, KC, DEN, CIN, LAC, LAR, TEN, IND, BAL, and NE (in some order). Who knows about MIA, but they should be better than NYJ, PIT, JAC, and HOU. Way too soon to tell with free agency and the draft still to play out.

The Browns lost plenty with a healthy Baker over the last few years. In 2020, they beat 8 bottom feeder teams . . . and lost to the 2-14 Jets. The scheduling gods were kind that season.

This year, they get BAL x 2, CIN x 2, PIT x 2, BUF, NE, MIA, NYJ, TB, NO, CAR, ATL, LAC, HOU, and WAS. People can make their own projects for the Browns record season. What happens with Watson and the games he is unavailable could make a big impact on the team's record in 2022.
Tough schedule no matter how many games he is out. I think 2023 is the more important year for him. 

This year, they get BAL x 2, CIN x 2, PIT x 2, BUF, NE, MIA, NYJ, TB, NO, CAR, ATL, LAC, HOU, and WAS.
That is...not an easy schedule. I'm seeing 6 wins (bold), & then assuming they split against Cinci and BAL (being generous) and maybe beat NO, we're at 9-8?  10-8 if they beat NEP (not the world beaters they were, but still a coin flip with a great defense)

And that's also assuming Brisset can win them several of these games during Watson's suspension. 

Maye he should have picked ATL or NOS after all. Gonna be a tough road to hoe for 2022, at least. 

So if the Browns dont make the super bowl in the next 5 years, this move was a failure??

I guess that makes sense if you consider every team who doesnt make the super bowl in the next 5 years to be a failure.
Those other teams also have their draft picks and aren't on the hook for all that guaranteed money. They can hit reset and start over. If Watson doesn't work out for whatever reason, too bad. He's there for five years. So there's a lot of risk there. 

I get that fans want to set expectations low, because who wants to set themselves up for disappointment? I just think there are a lot of paths to being a good team that makes noise in the regular season, but never wins it all. And most of those paths don't include giving away three 1sts, a 3rd and two 4ths, plus five years of guaranteed money that locks you into exactly one path going forward.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal. I'm saying there have to be lofty expectations at that price. 

That is...not an easy schedule. I'm seeing 6 wins (bold), & then assuming they split against Cinci and BAL (being generous) and maybe beat NO, we're at 9-8?  10-8 if they beat NEP (not the world beaters they were, but still a coin flip with a great defense)

And that's also assuming Brisset can win them several of these games during Watson's suspension. 

Maye he should have picked ATL or NOS after all. Gonna be a tough road to hoe for 2022, at least. 
I don't think anyone expects much in 2022 due to the possible suspension, rust, schedule, etc. So really, this is a four-year window. I think that makes the deal look even pricier.

how often does "on paper" difficult schedules pan out? 

Browns are as likely to go 13-4 as they are 7-10.... and I can say the same for nearly every AFC team. 

Those other teams also have their draft picks and aren't on the hook for all that guaranteed money. They can hit reset and start over. If Watson doesn't work out for whatever reason, too bad. He's there for five years. So there's a lot of risk there. 

I get that fans want to set expectations low, because who wants to set themselves up for disappointment? I just think there are a lot of paths to being a good team that makes noise in the regular season, but never wins it all. And most of those paths don't include giving away three 1sts, a 3rd and two 4ths, plus five years of guaranteed money that locks you into exactly one path going forward.

I'm not saying they shouldn't have done the deal. I'm saying there have to be lofty expectations at that price. 
Of course there are higher expectations because they have a better team now.  

Super bowl or failure is dumb though, unless that is the expectation for EVERY team

I get that fans want to set expectations low, because who wants to set themselves up for disappointment?
Less than a year ago the fans were awash with confidence in the 2021 Cleveland Browns with Baker Mayfield.   Now they get DeShaun Watson and they're setting expectations low.

Expectations should be very high, otherwise why would you guarantee $230 million and give up all the draft picks?

how often does "on paper" difficult schedules pan out? 

Browns are as likely to go 13-4 as they are 7-10.... and I can say the same for nearly every AFC team. 
Seems really unlikely for the Browns to win 13 this year, even if Watson doesn’t miss games. 

Super bowl or failure is dumb though, unless that is the expectation for EVERY team
Well, it kind of is - and when a team makes a splashy move giving up 3 first round picks and paying a record breaking contract by a large margin expectations rise. Go figure.

Bottom line is it doesn't really matter what the expectations are - you'll know if it was worth it or not in a few years either way.

Well, it kind of is - and when a team makes a splashy move giving up 3 first round picks and paying a record breaking contract by a large margin expectations rise. Go figure.

Bottom line is it doesn't really matter what the expectations are - you'll know if it was worth it or not in a few years either way.
That's the thing, when a team makes a splashy move that doesnt work out they seem to take 100x more criticism than the other teams who didnt.  It seems you get penalized for trying.

Back to the Miami Heat when they got Lebron.  The two years they didnt win a title were majorly panned and made fun of, yet they actually won two titles.  Two more titles than they would have won had they not signed Lebron.  It was so stupid.

That's the thing, when a team makes a splashy move that doesnt work out they seem to take 100x more criticism than the other teams who didnt.  It seems you get penalized for trying.

Back to the Miami Heat when they got Lebron.  The two years they didnt win a title were majorly panned and made fun of, yet they actually won two titles.  Two more titles than they would have won had they not signed Lebron.  It was so stupid.
There was WAY more to the Lebron thing than that - starting with the expectations coming from Lebron and Wade themselves with their mock countdown on how many titles they would win. "Not 1, not 2, not 3...."

You can't have it both ways - if a team makes a huge move it comes with expectations. Most fans would accept that, but instead Browns' fans just whine and play the victim card.  Big ####### deal people have high (and maybe even unrealistic expectations) because the Browns went "all in". Stop fighting it and accept it.

Just another brick in the wall as to why I hope this implodes spectactularly.

I think the issue with Lebron has always been his comparisons to MJ and him staking his claim to GOAT status. James is going to end up having insane counting stats when he eventually calls it a day. He should take over the top spot in total points scored next season, will end up in the Top 5 in assists, and has won titles with three franchises.

People will forever compare him to Jordan in terms of who was better. As far as the Heat goes, part of the argument and friction had to do with the fact they didn't win more titles, because Jordan would have won every year had he played on that team instead of Lebron.

There are a lot of QBs playing on big contracts. Thirteen of them are playing out contracts of $100M+. Obviously, those franchises have high hopes and aspirations that their teams will win. Oddly enough, Ryan Tannehill carries the highest cap hit for 2022 (now that Ryan was traded) at $38.6M. Yet somehow that has flown completely under the radar. Does anyone, anywhere, think that Tannehill is anywhere near the top of the list of elite QBs? The Titans made a splashy move giving him nearly $120M over 4 years. No one even bats an eye over that.

They surely did at the time - they were laughed at because Tannehill was considered a joke (probably unfairly) while he was in Miami.
I meant more currently than at the time. The Titans paid Tannehill handsomely . . . likely more than his play warranted. The team has done well with him, not because of him, and they haven't gone to a SB. I haven't paid enough attention to TEN, but in general, would people consider his deal good, bad, or indifferent?

I think the issue with Lebron has always been his comparisons to MJ and him staking his claim to GOAT status. James is going to end up having insane counting stats when he eventually calls it a day. He should take over the top spot in total points scored next season, will end up in the Top 5 in assists, and has won titles with three franchises.

People will forever compare him to Jordan in terms of who was better. As far as the Heat goes, part of the argument and friction had to do with the fact they didn't win more titles, because Jordan would have won every year had he played on that team instead of Lebron.
People also criticized Tiger bigtime for not getting ad many majors as Jack, and citing because Tiger himself said that was his ultimate goal.

Why exactly are fans putting the same expectations on guys that those guys are putting on themselves?  That makes no sense.

Tiger didnt achieve his goal, that doesnt mean FANS should think he's a failure, yet they do.  So weird.

"Victim of your own success" is beyond an understatement for some of these guys.

People also criticized Tiger bigtime for not getting ad many majors as Jack, and citing because Tiger himself said that was his ultimate goal.

Why exactly are fans putting the same expectations on guys that those guys are putting on themselves?  That makes no sense.

Tiger didnt achieve his goal, that doesnt mean FANS should think he's a failure, yet they do.  So weird.

"Victim of your own success" is beyond an understatement for some of these guys.
IMO, it's great to set high goals and aspirations, but Tiger had self-inflicted P.R. issues (which turned some fans against him). Woods didn't hit his goals due to a lengthy injury history over the latter part of his career with multiple back and knee surgeries (throw in his car accident if you want). At this point it's safe to say he's not going to catch Jack, but that won't change that Tiger in his prime was Must See TV, a force the golfing world is unlikely to see again, and a sports figure of the highest order on a global scale.

Tiger didnt achieve his goal, that doesnt mean FANS should think he's a failure, yet they do. 
No they don't - if anything they think what may have been if not for his personal issues and the recent car accident. Please link to a few people that call Tiger a "failure" - that's beyond ridiculous.

No they don't - if anything they think what may have been if not for his personal issues and the recent car accident. Please link to a few people that call Tiger a "failure" - that's beyond ridiculous.
Citing every talking head pundit from Jim Rome to everyone else who talks loud on TV

I recall numerous times on TV someone saying something along the lines of "I am just judging Tiger by his own standards, and by those standards he is a failure"

So dumb

Citing every talking head pundit from Jim Rome to everyone else who talks loud on TV

I recall numerous times on TV someone saying something along the lines of "I am just judging Tiger by his own standards, and by those standards he is a failure"

So dumb
The world would be so much more peaceful & quiet without the likes of Jim Rome, Stephen A Smith, & Colin Cowherd shouting their stupidity at everyone. 

I lose respect for their various networks every time they’re on the air. 

That's a lot of guaranteed money and a lot of picks for a five-year deal. Wondering what people think the Browns need to accomplish (if anything) to look back and say it was worth it.
By removing their dependence on Baker Mayfield, the contract has already paid for itself.  The only thing Deshaun has to do is be on the field and he gives the Browns 5x the chance of being a competing playoff team.

Users who are viewing this thread