What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

POPCORN TIME > Torrents made simple as Netflix?! (1 Viewer)

For example copyrighted material is taken down from YouTube all the time, but, the viewers that might have clicked on it before it's taken down never get in trouble. They don't even get warnings or restrictions from the website.

Nice job, criminal.
You're in a torrent thread, jag off.
Oh, ok.
As far as I know the legality of watching a stream is still up to debate and interpretation if it's considered copyright infringement or not. The content providers sure think so and would like it to be, but, they have to live by the laws like the rest of us. It's virtually impossible to make a case and try it against the laws because the user doesn't download or ever posses anything. Most of the laws say that if content is supplied widely enough that it can be viewed (or read as was the case with newspaper articles in one of the only cases ever brought) without physical content ever being exchanged it is not illegal.
Lol

I bought a "jailbroken" Amazon Fire Stick on ebay for $50. Instant wireless streaming of any torrent you can think of. I dont even bother downloading movies anymore. Just search a title and pick a stream.
Tell me more about this - is it truly plug and play? What torrent site do you use most? Anyway to know I'm not getting ripped off?

Note: I know nothing about torrents.
Truly plug and play. Plug it in to your TV, enter your WiFi password, and start searching and watching movie, tv shows, PPVs, etc. I can take it with me when I travel and plug it into any TV with an HDMI port.
What's the software installed that does this?

You can do the same thing with XBMC/Kodi and it doesn't have to be jailbroken (I think that's a misnomer for firesticks because they are open to third party apps) and it's free.

I'm guessing you just paid someone $25 to install Kodi for you, but, if there is a different software out there that does this I'm really interested.
Yeah pretty much. I'd rather pay than do it myself...and thats why I put jailbroken in quotes...it IS a misnomer, it's actually just software loaded into it...but search Jailbroken Fire Stick on ebay and a ton of em will pop up.
How does this work? You plug the stick in but how does the stick find movies, shows, etc?

I bought a "jailbroken" Amazon Fire Stick on ebay for $50. Instant wireless streaming of any torrent you can think of. I dont even bother downloading movies anymore. Just search a title and pick a stream.
Tell me more about this - is it truly plug and play? What torrent site do you use most? Anyway to know I'm not getting ripped off?

Note: I know nothing about torrents.
Truly plug and play. Plug it in to your TV, enter your WiFi password, and start searching and watching movie, tv shows, PPVs, etc. I can take it with me when I travel and plug it into any TV with an HDMI port.
What's the software installed that does this?

You can do the same thing with XBMC/Kodi and it doesn't have to be jailbroken (I think that's a misnomer for firesticks because they are open to third party apps) and it's free.

I'm guessing you just paid someone $25 to install Kodi for you, but, if there is a different software out there that does this I'm really interested.
Yeah pretty much. I'd rather pay than do it myself...and thats why I put jailbroken in quotes...it IS a misnomer, it's actually just software loaded into it...but search Jailbroken Fire Stick on ebay and a ton of em will pop up.
How does this work? You plug the stick in but how does the stick find movies, shows, etc?
:goodposting:

AAABatteries said:
You cheapskates still doing this?
Went from a $230 cable tv bill to $44 for internet only. To me that difference isn't exactly cheep. However, I do subscribe to several streaming services even though I don't need to because I support cheap affordable options for tv. I'd gladly pay for everything once it's un-monopolized, affordable and convenient.

The mere idea of paying someone to run a special cable to your house or put a satellite in your back yard for tv when we have internet speeds of today is like paying someone to give you a horse ride down the interstate to work in the morning.

I see tons selling on ebay.

Can someone PM me a link to one that is selling from someone reputable?
You really don't have to buy anything jail broke. You can just buy a firestick from Amazon, and then install it youself. Plenty of youtube tutorials on how to install it.

You really don't have to buy anything jail broke. You can just buy a firestick from Amazon, and then install it youself. Plenty of youtube tutorials on how to install it.
Is it cheaper that way? Whats a firestick cost?
$40.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-tv-stick/9999119.p?id=1219460752591

Is it cheaper that way? Whats a firestick cost?
$40.00

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/amazon-fire-tv-stick/9999119.p?id=1219460752591
I'm a lazy thief

:shrug:

Wild that people are making these and selling them for double or even more than they cost. Really is a simple process. Youtubes everywhere show how its done.
Got one for my birthday and set it up last night. It was kind of a pain in the ###, but I was watching movies after an hour so of fooling around with it.

Used this site for the most part: http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-kodi-on-amazon-fire-tv/

Amazon puts the firesticks on sale for $25 for just about every holiday/special they have. The ebay guys probably load up on them during sale days.

I don't like other people making money off of it, that's what gives it it's bad name. There is a reason why the xbmc foundation has kept this open source program free and most programmers in the industry work only off of donations. People trying to make a buck are just as bad (ok, almost as bad) as the monopolized cable companies. Please don't support them.

Perhaps its addressed in this thread, but didn't amazon push something out to its devices to stop this?
That would be my concern. Do they have a way to update their software to detect this and stop it?
I highly doubt it. It used to be available through the Amazon Store and Google Play. When Amazon pulled it from the store they stated that the app, "can be used to facilitate piracy and illegal downloading.". The app itself is open source, widely popular and nothing illegal about it what so ever. Only certain applications that you plug into the app could be considered illegal.

Intrigued by this Fire Stick / Kodi setup. Looks easy to configure. What is the selection/reliability like?

Intrigued by this Fire Stick / Kodi setup. Looks easy to configure. What is the selection/reliability like?
Movies and TV: If you install the better add-ons you can pretty much get every movie and tv show ever. If a new movie or show comes out it will generally show up at the same time and same quality as they show up on the torrent sites. For current tv shows I just watch the day after it originally airs and never have any problems. Tv shows are always in HD and so are the movies unless you are trying to watch a movie that hasn't leaked out in HD yet.

Sports: Live tv and sports are more hit and miss. You can usually find what you are looking for, but, it takes time to find and a lot of the time is not in HD. Your mileage may vary.

For each stream there are dozens of sources to choose from. Some of these sources will be broken or saturated, so, you don't always get what you want on the first click of the button. Again, if you keep up with the better add-ons it's less of an issue, but, it can be frustrating for some people.

For configuring it keeps getting better and better, but, it's not quite for the lay person yet imo. You have to be tech savvy enough to install and use programs, download and find zip files, etc. However, there are step by step guides on youtube and websites everywhere.

Movies and TV: If you install the better add-ons you can pretty much get every movie and tv show ever.
can you recommend addons? I have put Kodi on my laptop to play with it and have added some items so I know how to do it, I just don't know what specifically to add to give the most TV and movie exposure.

Movies and TV: If you install the better add-ons you can pretty much get every movie and tv show ever. If a new movie or show comes out it will generally show up at the same time and same quality as they show up on the torrent sites. For current tv shows I just watch the day after it originally airs and never have any problems. Tv shows are always in HD and so are the movies unless you are trying to watch a movie that hasn't leaked out in HD yet.

Sports: Live tv and sports are more hit and miss. You can usually find what you are looking for, but, it takes time to find and a lot of the time is not in HD. Your mileage may vary.

For each stream there are dozens of sources to choose from. Some of these sources will be broken or saturated, so, you don't always get what you want on the first click of the button. Again, if you keep up with the better add-ons it's less of an issue, but, it can be frustrating for some people.

For configuring it keeps getting better and better, but, it's not quite for the lay person yet imo. You have to be tech savvy enough to install and use programs, download and find zip files, etc. However, there are step by step guides on youtube and websites everywhere.
Or just buy one with everything installed. Ready to go right out of the box. $50 isn't breaking any FBGs bank.

Since it sounds like for some finding things you have to do a little/lot of hunting pecking around, I'm wondering...is this/would this setup be better or worse using the Voice Remote firestick?

When choosing a stream, is it better to choose one with a lot of views or one with less views (or is it complete hit or miss?)

Movies and TV: If you install the better add-ons you can pretty much get every movie and tv show ever.
can you recommend addons? I have put Kodi on my laptop to play with it and have added some items so I know how to do it, I just don't know what specifically to add to give the most TV and movie exposure.
Thanks for the feedback Tony... Also curious about NRs question
Start with the fusion repo. Then install the addon installer. I think channel1, Genesis and Pheonix (three of the most popular add ons currently) are all in there. Enough info can be found at www.tvaddons.ag to do all that. I'll add more when I have more time and my tablet isn't about to die.

Hint: in the settings somewhere you can set it so the adult channels will show up in addon installer. They don't show up be default. ;)

NewlyRetired said:
When choosing a stream, is it better to choose one with a lot of views or one with less views (or is it complete hit or miss?)
Depends. Usually more. Soon you figure out which ones by website name are more reliable, then they'll open a second stream when the first gets saturated. I can post the ones I have most success with later too. All this has been discussed in the cut the cable thread, but, yeah it's hard to find in there for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the feedback Tony... Also curious about NRs question
Start with the fusion repo. Then install the addon installer. I think channel1, Genesis and Pheonix (three of the most popular add ons currently) are all in there. Enough info can be found at www.tvaddons.ag to do all that. I'll add more when I have more time and my tablet isn't about to die.

Hint: in the settings somewhere you can set it so the adult channels will show up in addon installer. They don't show up be default. ;)
Ok cool, I added channel1 and Genesis already. I will add Pheonix.

Is there a lot of overlap in these addons in terms of what they offer?

Ok cool, I added channel1 and Genesis already. I will add Pheonix.Is there a lot of overlap in these addons in terms of what they offer?
For what I use it for Channel1 and Genesis are almost identical, just a different look and feel. I primarily use Kodi for movies and tv shows. For live tv I watch OTA channels and Slingtv. Occasionally I'll find a live ppv UFC event on sportsdevil or woody(inside phoenix). The only sports I really don't mind missing if it's not on OTA or ESPN(sling) is the NFL. I get the NFL ticket and NFL Channel for $125 by using a vpn to put my IP outside of North America. I also subscribe to netflix and amazon prime even though I don't need to.

Users who are viewing this thread