What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pope endorses civil union laws for same sex couples (1 Viewer)

As a "lapsed Catholic" that spent 13 years (K-12) at a Catholic school I think this will lead to some interesting conversations.  It's tough to find good data, but it seems as though participation and donations have been decreasing.  The Catholic church needs a way to bring people back into the fold but some of their dogmatic teachings prevent it.  No women priests, no married priests, definition of marriage, etc may be limiting their draw.  (Honestly, I forget alot of what is and is not considered dogma)  Does the church somehow back off of their unchangeable dogma to increase their flock or do they continue on this path?

Lehigh98 said:
As a "lapsed Catholic" that spent 13 years (K-12) at a Catholic school I think this will lead to some interesting conversations.  It's tough to find good data, but it seems as though participation and donations have been decreasing.  The Catholic church needs a way to bring people back into the fold but some of their dogmatic teachings prevent it.  No women priests, no married priests, definition of marriage, etc may be limiting their draw.  (Honestly, I forget alot of what is and is not considered dogma)  Does the church somehow back off of their unchangeable dogma to increase their flock or do they continue on this path?
A Vatican Three may be in order. 

whoknew said:
You think? I don't have the data, but it seems like the pedophilia drove a lot of folks away.
I don't have the data either. But the fact that the secrecy rule around sexual abuse cases was only addressed last year makes me think it really wasn't a priority for anyone. Too little, too late.

I am totally respectful of anyone's right to practice whatever religion or spirituality they wish as long as it does not harm others. And every religious organization has it's black marks and is imperfect for sure.

But I think this is way too little, way too late and is little more than lip service on a pervasive issue that has been purposefully covered up for far too long, and where people still aren't being held accountable the way they should.

God changed his mind? Cool, whatever. Nobody's perfect.
Not sure that is what he is saying...its not about the Church's view on marriage in a Catholic Church...but about legal views of unions.  Also seems he advocated for this before he was ever Pope.

Not sure that is what he is saying...its not about the Church's view on marriage in a Catholic Church...but about legal views of unions.  Also seems he advocated for this before he was ever Pope.
I don't think that was his point.  He's making a joke about papal infallibity.

While I understand why Catholics care what the Pope thinks, not really sure why anyone else cares.  His opinion means about as much to me as any other random person.  Catholics have been wrong on so many topics for so long....this is really just catching up to both reality and morality.

Users who are viewing this thread