What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Portis at Dallas wk 11 (1 Viewer)

Footballguy
The current cheatsheets have Portis ranked ahead of guys like McGahee, Jacobs, Grant, etc... So it's got me questioning my presumptions.

I thought Dallas was a pretty tough D - what am I missing here? Has the run D gone sour with Tank Johnson or what?

Portis has played really well. And look at the other RBs in the league. There's no one that jumps out anymore. The top backs are either hurt or not as dominant as they use to.

Portis is finally healthy and playing well.

He's on fire right now. Over 300 yards the last two weeks at thirty plus touches a game. I don't see that against Dallas but if Washington gets a lead he'll get his chances.

I cant see Portis lining up and running down the Cowboys like he has done versus the Eagles (HORRIBLE RUN D) and the Jets (EVEN WORSE).

Portis has gotten those 30+ touches in the past two games because they were very close , hard fought games.... I can't see this being the case versus Dallas.

I cant see Portis lining up and running down the Cowboys like he has done versus the Eagles (HORRIBLE RUN D) and the Jets (EVEN WORSE).Portis has gotten those 30+ touches in the past two games because they were very close , hard fought games.... I can't see this being the case versus Dallas.
:homer: As a Portis owner I'm afraid you're probaly correct. I don't expect more than about 70-80 total yards and a 25% chance of a TD. I'm betting Cooley will be the best fantasy player on the Skins this week.

I think the high ranking has to do with Washington's other options. Santana Moss is questionable, Thrash is out andBrandon Lloyd is out with a broken collarbone. With most of their recieving options probably out Portis is going to be their focal point of the offense. Add in the fact he has been playing very good lately and the fact that past studs are hurting or not preforming great to date and he should be a top ten play this week.

Portis has gotten those 30+ touches in the past two games because they were very close , hard fought games.... I can't see this being the case versus Dallas.
They were losing 17-3 at half time of the Jets game and fought back in it with the run.

They were losing 17-3 at half time of the Jets game and fought back in it with the run.
Oh, he is ranked so high because he a pimp when he is healthy. I think the guy tears it up the rest of the year. Took a while to get in game shape with missing the pre-season. If he can do what he is doing behind that beat up o-line, just imagine what the future holds.

The current cheatsheets have Portis ranked ahead of guys like McGahee, Jacobs, Grant, etc... So it's got me questioning my presumptions.
I'm gonna go out on a limb & suggest that it's because Portis is a much better RB than those guys. :lmao:

Oh, he is ranked so high because he a pimp when he is healthy. I think the guy tears it up the rest of the year. Took a while to get in game shape with missing the pre-season. If he can do what he is doing behind that beat up o-line, just imagine what the future holds.
Totally agreed. He ran over Jets who have a terrible rush D, but they stacked the whole team to get him, and they could not. They said after game they were there to stop Portis and he wore them down. A PHilly, they have played decent against the run, actually pretty good, and Portis shredded them. Portis had burst, and he is playing great, he should even be higher in my opinion.

my team is on a 5 game losing streak (after starting 5-0) and i have been motivating portis to lead my team to victory. obviously fbg has picked up on this.

Would you then play Selvin Young instead of Portis this week? Young at home against Tenn or Portis at Dallas (1pt for every reception starting with the 3rd catch)

Last edited by a moderator:
He's on fire right now. Over 300 yards the last two weeks at thirty plus touches a game. I don't see that against Dallas but if Washington gets a lead he'll get his chances.
Huge if.Romo and the Cowboys are going to light up the depleted WAS secondary.

This game won't be close.

As a Portis owner, I'm hoping for 70 yrds and a cheap score.

my team is on a 5 game losing streak (after starting 5-0) and i have been motivating portis to lead my team to victory. obviously fbg has picked up on this.
FBG also picked up O Mare (NO Kicker) to be highly ranked the last two weeks and it cost me my game - Mare is ranked 32nd in my league - I played that piece of *&^% instead of Jason Elam last week and lost by 3pts - Mare 1pt - Elam 13ptsFBG are just like any of us FF fanatics except they have a website to share there opinions. I think the FBG should have a weekly article going back every week to compare on how they ranked all players with the actual results from that week.

FBG also picked up O Mare (NO Kicker) to be highly ranked the last two weeks and it cost me my game - Mare is ranked 32nd in my league - I played that piece of *&^% instead of Jason Elam last week and lost by 3pts - Mare 1pt - Elam 13ptsFBG are just like any of us FF fanatics except they have a website to share there opinions. I think the FBG should have a weekly article going back every week to compare on how they ranked all players with the actual results from that week.
lolfat chance of that.

:homer:

It's really no reflection of the Dallas D.

The Rb's are so watered down that you have to put Portis who's rushing the best he's done all season towards the top of the board. It's a rivalry game and if the game is to stay relatively close, one would think Portis has to get 100 yards and a TD.

Portis is pretty much a must start at this point of the season and the Dallas run D isn't exactly the 2000 Ravens.

Posting how you did on kickers wouldn't be worth the time it took to type the stats. Kickers are a crap shoot.

RavensUNFL said:
Routilla said:
I would bench Portis this week. Dallas will shut him down.
I agree, I just think Dallas has way too much offense for the Redskins to stay close enough to keep running Portis.
They may not be able to continue running him if the game gets out of hand, but Portis has been in on just about every snap the last few weeks, which will lead to some receptions. Joe Gibbs has realized who his best player is and he's finding ways to get him the ball. He's getting all the goalline touches and is in on third downs. With Betts fumbling last week, it's likely he'll lose any touches he was taking from Portis, which were few and far between anyways.I doubt the Redskins get shut out in this one and Portis should have a pretty legitimate shot at a score and some catches/ receiving yards if the Skins are unable to stay in the game. Portis has looked extremely fast and is making consistently solid runs.I just don't see how anyone can bench Portis right now. With so many players injured, who are you guys starting in place of him?

Bear in mind the factors in the rankings.

TD probability is a big factor for RBs. Every 10% is worth 0.6 pts, so if you think that Portis is only about a 40% chance of scoring, he moves down into the Ryan Grant district.

I agree with the earlier statements that Wash will rely on Portis quite a bit (the 'skins are taking classified ads for WRs this week in DC), but that also means that Dallas will have Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin crowding the box against them. With 9 in the box and Keenan McCardell and ARE out wide, Dallas could win this going away, even so much that they could dictate that Wash abandons the running game.

If you don't have many options, Portis is of course a must-start, but if you have other options I would consider them pretty strongly.

Bear in mind the factors in the rankings.TD probability is a big factor for RBs. Every 10% is worth 0.6 pts, so if you think that Portis is only about a 40% chance of scoring, he moves down into the Ryan Grant district.I agree with the earlier statements that Wash will rely on Portis quite a bit (the 'skins are taking classified ads for WRs this week in DC), but that also means that Dallas will have Roy Williams and Ken Hamlin crowding the box against them. With 9 in the box and Keenan McCardell and ARE out wide, Dallas could win this going away, even so much that they could dictate that Wash abandons the running game.If you don't have many options, Portis is of course a must-start, but if you have other options I would consider them pretty strongly.
I have Ryan Grant as one of the top RBs this week due to match-up. Portis is on the other end for the same reason.

Portis is running strong the last couple of games... adding to the belief that he really may not have been fully healed up until now.

Portis has me worried too. It wouldn't shock me to see him shut out. I would bench him for any viable alternative not because of the chance of him getting shut out as much as his very limited ceiling. He is not going to go for much more then 100 and a touch.

While his numbers lately have been solid, he's also had a lot of touches to get those numbers. His ypc against Philly were good, but hardly studly. Portis has been a solid start more for opportunity then for true studliness (kind of like a rich mans Lendale White!)

renesauz said:
Portis has me worried too. It wouldn't shock me to see him shut out. I would bench him for any viable alternative not because of the chance of him getting shut out as much as his very limited ceiling. He is not going to go for much more then 100 and a touch.While his numbers lately have been solid, he's also had a lot of touches to get those numbers. His ypc against Philly were good, but hardly studly. Portis has been a solid start more for opportunity then for true studliness (kind of like a rich mans Lendale White!)
He is amoung the hottest RB's in the NFL right now. He did it to poor DEF's, however they were gearing to stop him, he has something to prove. Wouldn't you feel stupid sitting him, if he goes for 110-120 yds, 3-5 receptions, 1-2 TD's...it could happen just as easilly as ANY other RB in the league this week. He is hot, The Skins confidence in him is the highest it's been in a couple of years, and Gibbs will run, run, run until it works, he likes to wear down the Def with his RB.ETA: He is prob most teams #2 RB...if this is the case, you need to start him.

Portis has outperformed his ADP by far in most leagues and he remains an excellent RB and the best offensive weapon on that team.

The major problem IMHO is the defense's loss of Sean Taylor, leaving that pass defense vulnerable to big plays. In a close game Portis was getting carries. I'm worried however that this may be a blowout forcing the 'Skins to pass early and often.

I cant see Portis lining up and running down the Cowboys like he has done versus the Eagles (HORRIBLE RUN D) and the Jets (EVEN WORSE).Portis has gotten those 30+ touches in the past two games because they were very close , hard fought games.... I can't see this being the case versus Dallas.
Yeah, the Philly Run D is definitely stinking it up. They are ranked 21st in most yards allowed per game in the NFL and couldn't even hold a rookie RB playing for the Vikings under 50 yards 2 weeks ago. (gave up 70 yards on 20 attempts)When you are the defensive coordinator of a NFL team and you know your D is going to give up 100 ypg on the ground, you might as well start getting that resume ready.

Remember this

I'd say he's done a lot better then most expected.

I still say 70 yrds and I'm hoping for garbage TD
Most were not aware of what "knee tendinitis" actually is... it's more commonly known as "I'm allergic to practicing and playing in the preseason".Portis usually turns it on in the 2nd half of the season. He's almost reached must start status.

Portis is one of the best backs in the league and has been for quite a few years. Unbelievable how he's still underestimated/underappreciated.

It seems that I remember a time when one of the best way's to stop an opponent's offense was to keep them off the field as much as possible. Dallas made that mistake against New England when they played them. They tried to outscore them. I thought the best approach is what the Colt's did and that was to sustain long drives and keep Brady on the sideline. I think if Washington want's to keep Romo grounded, then the a good tactic would be to feed Portis the ball early and often to keep Dallas' offense on the sideline. It seems teams don't talk about this as much as they used to.

The current cheatsheets have Portis ranked ahead of guys like McGahee, Jacobs, Grant, etc... So it's got me questioning my presumptions.I thought Dallas was a pretty tough D - what am I missing here? Has the run D gone sour with Tank Johnson or what?
I think the following had something to do with it:week 10 Dal vs. Giants, Jacobs had 24 total touches and 110 yards.week 9 Dal vs. Philly, Westbrook had 30 total touches and 155 yards and a td.week 8 Dal vs. Minn, Peterson/Taylor combined for 26 total touches and 141 yds and a td.I believe that as long as Washington takes care of the ball...this game will be close and Portis will get the touches to warrant his current ranking for week 11.

Portis' history with Washington againts the Cowboys

week 2 Portis did not play (10-27 loss at Dallas)

week 9 23/84/1 plus 1/9/0 (22-19 victory at home)

week 2 17/52/0 plus 4/25/0 (14-13 victory at Dallas)

week 15 23/112/0 plus 1/4/0 (35-7 victory at home)

week 3 23/94/0 plus 3/37/0 (18-21 loss at home)

week 16 10/32/0 plus 0/0/0 (10-13 loss at Dallas)

Portis' history with Washington againts the Cowboys

week 2 Portis did not play (10-27 loss at Dallas)

week 9 23/84/1 plus 1/9/0 (22-19 victory at home)

week 2 17/52/0 plus 4/25/0 (14-13 victory at Dallas)

week 15 23/112/0 plus 1/4/0 (35-7 victory at home)

week 3 23/94/0 plus 3/37/0 (18-21 loss at home)

week 16 10/32/0 plus 0/0/0 (10-13 loss at Dallas, suffered a shoulder injury which would cause him to miss week 17)
The bottom line is that Dallas has always been a tough opponent, and this is the best Dallas team that Portis has faced as a Redskin. Still, he's a better RB2 option that almost any FF team has on its roster at this point.

You mean RB2 for this week or overall? IMO, he has regained RB1 status since a couple of weeks.
This week. He may well be a RB1 for some teams. I'm expecting a dogged type of game from him with modest numbers, something like 18/68/0 2/16/0. He may get a TD, but historically that hasn't happened much against Dallas for him for whatever reason. I think Dallas scores 30+ and wins by double digits, which doesn't bode well for an opposing RB.

that redskins secondary is depleted. the cowboys are going to go up big early.

you would think theyd pass once they fall behind, but with old man gibbs coaching theyll probabaly go to their 'power run into a brick wall' gameplan

that redskins secondary is depleted. the cowboys are going to go up big early. you would think theyd pass once they fall behind, but with old man gibbs coaching theyll probabaly go to their 'power run into a brick wall' gameplan
What passing game? Oh you mean the 26th ranked Washington pass offense. I think if they could pass they would. If they want to win they are going to have to run the ball and hope they can keep Dal off the field.

You mean RB2 for this week or overall? IMO, he has regained RB1 status since a couple of weeks.
This week. He may well be a RB1 for some teams. I'm expecting a dogged type of game from him with modest numbers, something like 18/68/0 2/16/0. He may get a TD, but historically that hasn't happened much against Dallas for him for whatever reason. I think Dallas scores 30+ and wins by double digits, which doesn't bode well for an opposing RB.
He's my no 1 for the rest of the season now that AP went down. :popcorn: Now Gore is my no2. Yeah, I'm in trouble.

that redskins secondary is depleted. the cowboys are going to go up big early.

you would think theyd pass once they fall behind, but with old man gibbs coaching theyll probabaly go to their 'power run into a brick wall' gameplan
What passing game? Oh you mean the 26th ranked Washington pass offense. I think if they could pass they would. If they want to win they are going to have to run the ball and hope they can keep Dal off the field.
This is what has me encouraged, from the last game vs the Eagles - they ran the no huddle offense with Campbell calling the plays at the line, and the offense opened up and was effective. Note that they did this with a lead. I'm hoping they do more of this:
Code:
Washington Redskins at 02:562-D.Akers kicks 67 yards from PHI 30 to WAS 3. 31-R.Cartwright to WAS 32 for 29 yards (57-C.Gocong).1-10-WAS 32 	(2:51) 26-C.Portis left end to WAS 36 for 4 yards (97-B.Bunkley).2-6-WAS 36 	(2:23) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 26-C.Portis to WAS 41 for 5 yards (51-T.Spikes).3-1-WAS 41 	(1:56) (No Huddle) 26-C.Portis up the middle to WAS 47 for 6 yards (22-J.Hanson, 51-T.Spikes).1-10-WAS 47 	(1:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 47-C.Cooley to PHI 41 for 12 yards (51-T.Spikes, 27-Q.Mikell).1-10-PHI 41 	(:52) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short left to 47-C.Cooley to PHI 35 for 6 yards (20-B.Dawkins).2-4-PHI 35 	(:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 82-A.Randle El to PHI 30 for 5 yards (27-Q.Mikell).END QUARTER 3  4th Quarter   expand [+]  collapse [-]Washington Redskins continues ...1-10-PHI 30 	(15:00) 26-C.Portis up the middle to PHI 19 for 11 yards (51-T.Spikes).1-10-PHI 19 	(14:32) (No Huddle) 26-C.Portis left tackle to PHI 13 for 6 yards (98-M.Patterson).2-4-PHI 13 	(14:02) (No Huddle) 26-C.Portis left end to PHI 14 for -1 yards (77-L.Ramsey, 58-T.Cole).3-5-PHI 14 	(13:31) (No Huddle) 17-J.Campbell pass incomplete short middle to 83-J.Thrash. PENALTY on PHI-24-S.Brown, Defensive Pass Interference, 6 yards, enforced at PHI 14 - No Play.1-8-PHI 8 	(13:29) 26-C.Portis right end to PHI 6 for 2 yards (57-C.Gocong).2-6-PHI 6 	(12:47) 17-J.Campbell pass incomplete short right to 47-C.Cooley.3-6-PHI 6 	(12:41) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 80-K.McCardell for 6 yards, TOUCHDOWN.0-0-PHI 2 	6-S.Suisham extra point is GOOD, Center-67-E.Albright, Holder-4-D.Frost.
and
Code:
Washington Redskins at 10:352-D.Akers kicks 59 yards from PHI 30 to WAS 11. 31-R.Cartwright to WAS 34 for 23 yards (56-A.Jordan; 81-J.Avant). PENALTY on WAS-79-L.Alexander, Offensive Holding, 10 yards, enforced at WAS 34.1-10-WAS 24 	(10:29) 17-J.Campbell pass short middle to 82-A.Randle El to WAS 38 for 14 yards (20-B.Dawkins).Timeout #2 by WAS at 09:55.1-10-WAS 38 	(9:55) 26-C.Portis left end pushed ob at WAS 48 for 10 yards (51-T.Spikes).1-10-WAS 48 	(9:38) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass incomplete deep right to 82-A.Randle El.2-10-WAS 48 	(9:29) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 26-C.Portis to PHI 40 for 12 yards (26-L.Sheppard).1-10-PHI 40 	(8:55) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 17-J.Campbell pass short right to 82-A.Randle El to PHI 29 for 11 yards (26-L.Sheppard).1-10-PHI 29 	(8:23) (No Huddle) 46-L.Betts right tackle to PHI 24 for 5 yards (27-Q.Mikell; 20-B.Dawkins). FUMBLES (27-Q.Mikell), RECOVERED by PHI-22-J.Hanson at PHI 24. 22-J.Hanson to PHI 24 for no gain (20-P.Prioleau). Washington challenged the fumble ruling, and the play was Upheld. (Timeout #3 at 08:09.)
Campbell's combined #'s on those two drives were 8/11/71 1/0. Portis was running well too, going 6/27. I'm hoping they build on that.

Users who are viewing this thread