What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible Watershed Moment for Trump? (1 Viewer)

If Trump downplays the virus and it turns bad, would it be his downfall in this election?

• Total voters
Wat?

@ddale8

Asked about his criticism of Obama not being tougher re Ebola, Trump says, "This is a much different problem than Ebola. Ebola, you disintegrated. Especially at the beginning." He says this is different because it's "a flu."

President Trump knocked it out of the park. Just more reassurance he will be easily re-elected.
This should have been a cakewalk for him. He did a good job.

Hard part though is probably making sure this doesn't become a real thing and not reading a speech and taking a few questions.

President Trump knocked it out of the park. Just more reassurance he will be easily re-elected.
Nobody knows what will happen in November but even though I am not a fan Trump was good tonight as he should be.  As far as the flu comparison I have heard the stats compared to the flu many times in the last couple weeks.

Its kind of like the old fantasy football axiom, you can't win your league with your first pick but you sure can lose it.   I don't think if this is abated or contained in any reasonable way it will benefit him nearly as much as anything approaching significant disruption will hurt him.  If the NCAA Tournament is played in empty arenas, or further down the road if we have to cancel graduations from high school and college due to a limitation on public gatherings, that will sting.  This story will also continue into the fall so he's got to thread this needle.

That said, I feel strangely at ease and comforted with him in charge, thought he did ok in this presser save for the political stuff with Pelosi but I think him putting together teams is to his strengths.  Lets hope anyway.  The metaphor is never more true than now, we are all in the same lifeboat so lets not root for the leak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody knows what will happen in November but even though I am not a fan Trump was good tonight as he should be.  As far as the flu comparison I have heard the stats compared to the flu many times in the last couple weeks.
- Flu mortality rate 0.1%

- Covid 19 mortality rate 2-3% estimates at this time

It’s a terrible comparison!

Wonder if there could be a flip side to this.... and Ill preface by saying, we are all prone to being in our information silos, we may we gravitate to that what we connect with.  But my first reaction to Trump's presser was... solid... not a perfect call, but, ok, the players are in their proper spots on the field, lets see how the game plays out.  

And I flip to see the punditry on msNBC and on the young turks... and its an instant crush of negativity.  I'm not asking for pollyanna coverage but there was not one bone to be thrown here?   The coverage felt way more like an attack on a standard level for them, I have to if a completely partisan field of coverage won't finally sour people on these outlets.  

Now this is an absolutely imperfect analogy and I know this isn't 9/11, but its a probably the first situation since that time that could really touch every corner of the nation (perhaps the 2008 crash too but thankfully that was reasonably well managed).  We all knew Bush was a moron going into 9/11 but I certainly don't recall a climate where he was attacked standing on top of the rubble.  If the media, even fellow candidates, come after him too hard if he's taking the good faith steps to deal with an emergency created halfway around the world, that could backfire too.

Out of all the things he has done, this would be what loses him his voters? No way, even if 10,000,000 Americans die from it. 

Insane how far he’s lowered the bar.  As long as he doesn’t say anything racist, call democrats traitorous scum, or try to bully judges it’s considered a good showing.

We live in Idiocracy.
People want Trump to behave presidentially--eagerly watch everything hoping for him to slip up.  When he doesn't "It's amazing how not doing these things is considered good." 

You're only watching to catch him doing something you can criticize--and when he doesn't he still loses in your eyes.

I am not a Trumper but what in your eyes could he have done better tonight in your OP?  This is not a political battle in my OP.
I’m commenting on how Trump supporters are applauding how well he did because he almost sounded coherent.  This should be the minimum we expect from the president.

I didn't hear the whole thing, but I was mildly pleased he didn't screw it up.  I didn't care for the political jabs - completely unnecessary, I wish our president had the maturity to be above that, and I don't really care for Mike Pence being the point man, but overall, not a complete #### show.  I have a bit more respect for the man today than I did yesterday.

IvanKaramazov said:
The coronavirus could play strongly in Trump's favor if he got out in front of it and made it a public health priority for the government in a high-profile way.  This sort of thing subliminally plays on xenophobia and anti-Chinese animosity in particular, normalizes things like travel bans, closed borders, and immigration restrictions, and generally sets a positive narrative for the kind of authoritarianism that Trump represents.

But to nobody's surprise, Trump's in the process of handling it in as counter-productive a manner as humanly possible.

Trump has been preparing for this since day one.

- Travel bans from sketchy countries.

- Protecting our southern border from unchecked mass illegal caravans from third world countries.

- Weaning our economy off of China via trade bullying

I suspect he will handle this with ease.

Regardless, the media and left will be clamoring for Peach Mints if one person dies.
Nailed it

Insane how far he’s lowered the bar.  As long as he doesn’t say anything racist, call democrats traitorous scum, or try to bully judges it’s considered a good showing.

We live in Idiocracy.
How would any of those things lower his support from his base?

The flu comparison was his main slip, imo.
It has similar symptoms to the flu.  

If we're being technical "a flu" or "the flu" refers to influenza.  But people have colloquially referred to "having a flu" for hundreds of years with reference to a particular set of symptoms.  The coronovirus has similar symptoms.  I don't think it's an absurd comparison in that sense.  

I thought it was a fair press conference, some downplaying, but you don’t need hysteria.

The flu thing is bull####, this is like 20x more deadly, that’s nonsense.
  We have a vaccine for the flu.  While many still get a mild flu, it has reduced the cases of severe influenza.  Thus less people die from the flu.  This has skew the stats.

- Flu mortality rate 0.1%

- Covid 19 mortality rate 2-3% estimates at this time

It’s a terrible comparison!
Comparing the stats in general is a terrible comparison.  

We have a flu vaccine.  And while people still get the flu--it does a good job of reducing many of the most severe cases of the flu.  This reduces the mortality.  

Comparing the stats in general is a terrible comparison.  

We have a flu vaccine.  And while people still get the flu--it does a good job of reducing many of the most severe cases of the flu.  This reduces the mortality.  
At an absolute minimum, we won’t have a vaccine for this for a year. Did you watch the press conference?

Go ahead and compare this to the flu, you take your 2.5% shot at death.

At an absolute minimum, we won’t have a vaccine for this for a year. Did you watch the press conference?

Go ahead and compare this to the flu, you take your 2.5% shot at death.
I mean, I don't know that anything I do on a message board means I'm taking my shot at death.

He read a speech and answered some questions without falling off the stage or freaking out. I think there's still some work left to do.
Sure.  But all of the anti-trumpers were waiting for a screw up and didn't get it, and now you're in here saying "he read a speech, big deal." 

Sure.  But all of the anti-trumpers were waiting for a screw up and didn't get it, and now you're in here saying "he read a speech, big deal." 
That's what happened. It's the job. He doesn't deserve a cookie, this was the easiest part of the whole thing. Now the real work happens. 

That's what happened. It's the job. He doesn't deserve a cookie, this was the easiest part of the whole thing. Now the real work happens. 
We're in a thread about how if he downplays it and handles this poorly, could it be the downfall of the election?  And after a solid speech you're all saying "big deal."  

I get it.  He didn't do anything special.  But given the premise of the thread--it's comical how quick the attitudes in here have changed.

We're in a thread about how if he downplays it and handles this poorly, could it be the downfall of the election?  And after a solid speech you're all saying "big deal."  

I get it.  He didn't do anything special.  But given the premise of the thread--it's comical how quick the attitudes in here have changed.
I'm not speaking for other people.

He did exactly what I thought he would do. Complete with a few shots. I'm happy he didn't crap the bed as this is a potentially life changing event for everyone and this is one of the most important roles of government, if he flailed today I would be legit scared.

No impact at all for 33%, huge negative impact for another 33%, another 34% won`t even know or care what happened.
Great job, this should become the new tag line/branding for American politics today. We should also just copy and repeat this answer for 95% of the topics around here. 

What attitude has changed? I started the thread and gave a very grounded and realistic response to his speech :shrug:

The flu comparison is bull#### and my main complaint, this virus is very deadly, you don’t think of death when you think of the flu. 

TBH, if he does a good job here and this is contained with relatively small clusters of breakouts, and only minor disruptions to life, he’ll prob earn my vote. Assigning Mike Pence to this doesn’t instill confidence though and the fact that just two days ago he said this would prob be gone by April also has me questioning him.

The results are what matters to me here and it’ll be months for this to play out, unfortunately.

Anyways, this politics forum is the most divisive toxic partisan place I’ve encountered on the innerwebs, I can’t read this #### anymore. Bottom line, I’m hopeful he’ll get this right, but remain skeptical. 

Users who are viewing this thread