What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Possible Watershed Moment for Trump? (2 Viewers)

If Trump downplays the virus and it turns bad, would it be his downfall in this election?

• Total voters
What attitude has changed? I started the thread and gave a very grounded and realistic response to his speech :shrug:

The flu comparison is bull#### and my main complaint, this virus is very deadly, you don’t think of death when you think of the flu. 

TBH, if he does a good job here and this is contained with relatively small clusters of breakouts, and only minor disruptions to life, he’ll prob earn my vote. Assigning Mike Pence to this doesn’t instill confidence though and the fact that just two days ago he said this would prob be gone by April also has me questioning him.

The results are what matters to me here and it’ll be months for this to play out, unfortunately.

Anyways, this politics forum is the most divisive toxic partisan place I’ve encountered on the innerwebs, I can’t read this #### anymore. Bottom line, I’m hopeful he’ll get this right, but remain skeptical. 
FC42, honest question, was there another president in your lifetime who'd you even have a question about how they'd handle something like this?  Whether they'd lie about it, minimize it simply to appease the financial markets, or go off script and start ranting about his "enemies"?

What attitude has changed? I started the thread and gave a very grounded and realistic response to his speech :shrug:

The flu comparison is bull#### and my main complaint, this virus is very deadly, you don’t think of death when you think of the flu. 

TBH, if he does a good job here and this is contained with relatively small clusters of breakouts, and only minor disruptions to life, he’ll prob earn my vote. Assigning Mike Pence to this doesn’t instill confidence though and the fact that just two days ago he said this would prob be gone by April also has me questioning him.

The results are what matters to me here and it’ll be months for this to play out, unfortunately.

Anyways, this politics forum is the most divisive toxic partisan place I’ve encountered on the innerwebs, I can’t read this #### anymore. Bottom line, I’m hopeful he’ll get this right, but remain skeptical. 
As a doctor, The flu worries me.  I’ve seen 30 year olds go on the ventilator from it.  I’ve seen grandparents die from it.  It is absolutely a killer.

Maybe you don't, but every year the flu is very deadly. It doesn't get the headlines because it is common. Over 80,000 people died last year because of the  flu.

cdc flu deaths in 2019

Do you see more than 80,000 people dying this year due to the coronavirus?

Is is President Trump's fault that so many people died from the flu last year?

I'd say I'm fairly anti-Trump [note: sarcasm] but I said early in this thread that I back the President and want the best result here.

And I think people from Louisiana, and say Florida and maybe Texas or South Carolina, are pretty well experienced in seeing press conferences in crisis time. We've seen press conferences where a governor - whom you may just think is an unqualified, corrupt incompetent - is at a podium at 530 in the morning telling you to get out, get the hell out and by the way when you get back you may not have anything. At those moments you back your leaders and you show up for your fellow citizens and neighbors of all kinds. 

Having said that, if I had a transcript of Trump's speech and I redlined everything not having to do with the virus, I'd say great speech. Seriously, he's the president, this is what the government knows, boom, he laid it out, thank you, boring is fine, perfect really. I'm even ok with Pence. I don't want to highlight Trump's past statements on Ebola because we all know the man is constantly full of it. It does matter he is showing up for work, now, even if it's 3 weeks late and even if it's only because he's worried about the stock market. I don't care, we need to pack the car and make important calls and get our #### in order.

What I have never seen is a governor engaging in all the crap that Trump dragged in - Pelosi, the elections, his awful ignorant comps to the cold/flu, the threats against the free press, the interests rates - in the middle of a crisis. It must be hell to brief him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say I'm fairly anti-Trump [note: sarcasm] but I said early in this thread that I back the President and want the best result here.

And I think people from Louisiana, and say Florida and maybe Texas or South Carolina, are pretty well experienced in seeing press conferences in crisis time. We've seen press conferences where a governor - whom you may just think is an unqualified, corrupt incompetent - is at a podium at 530 in the morning telling you to get out, get the hell out and by the way when you get back you may not have anything. At those moments you back your leaders and you show up for your fellow citizens and neighbors of all kinds. 

Having said that, if I had a transcript of Trump's speech and I redlined everything not having to do with the virus, I'd say great speech. Seriously, he's the president, this is what the government knows, boom, he laid it out, thank you, boring is fine, perfect really. I'm even ok with Pence. I don't want to highlight Trump's past statements on Ebola because we all know the man is constantly full of it. It does matter he is showing up for work, now, even if it's 3 weeks late and even if it's only because he's worried about the stock market. I don't care, we need to pack the car and make important calls and get our #### in order.

What I have never seen is a governor engaging in all the crap that Trump dragged in - Pelosi, the elections, his awful ignorant comps to the cold/flu, the threats against the free press, the interests rates - in the middle of a crisis. It must be hell to brief him.
You think he still takes briefings? 

I guess that is why JB has been thinking of shutting it down.

- Flu mortality rate 0.1%

- Covid 19 mortality rate 2-3% estimates at this time

It’s a terrible comparison!
I lost my 6 year old nephew to the flu 4 years ago.  If nobody had ever heard of the flu and the flu started today there would be panic.

The CDC has called this coronavirus “a very serious public health threat,” but adds that its immediate health risk to the American public is low. Health officials remain uncertain of exactly how the coronavirus spreads.

In contrast, at least 19 million people in the U.S. have experienced flu illnesses this season, the CDC estimates. About 180,000 people have been hospitalized so far, and an estimated 10,000 have died. Sixty-eight children have died this flu season.

Americans have simply gotten used to influenza despite the staggering number of people it affects, said Scott Weisenberg, a clinical associate professor of medicine and director of NYU Langone Health System.

Probably yeah. 

Here’s my reasoning: not enough people take flu shots. Last I heard the percentage was 45% of all adults, 70% of all kids. Year after year the CDC has called for more funding to promote flu shots, and each year President Trump has been there he has slashed spending to the CDC and removed public health officials without replacement. As I noted before this is consistent with Republican philosophy over the last several decades. 

So yes I do think it’s reasonable to hold President Trump and the Republican Party for deaths that occur because not enough money or personnel or emphasis has gone into public health issues. And that includes flu deaths. So yes. 

Probably yeah. 

Here’s my reasoning: not enough people take flu shots. Last I heard the percentage was 45% of all adults, 70% of all kids. Year after year the CDC has called for more funding to promote flu shots, and each year President Trump has been there he has slashed spending to the CDC and removed public health officials without replacement. As I noted before this is consistent with Republican philosophy over the last several decades. 

So yes I do think it’s reasonable to hold President Trump and the Republican Party for deaths that occur because not enough money or personnel or emphasis has gone into public health issues. And that includes flu deaths. So yes. 
This is a stretch, even before Trump when the CDC was better funded the numbers weren't all that different.  Not everything is Trump's fault.  He might not help it get better, but I don't think lack of flu shots can be traced back to him.

FC42, honest question, was there another president in your lifetime who'd you even have a question about how they'd handle something like this?  Whether they'd lie about it, minimize it simply to appease the financial markets, or go off script and start ranting about his "enemies"?
No

This is a stretch, even before Trump when the CDC was better funded the numbers weren't all that different.  Not everything is Trump's fault.  He might not help it get better, but I don't think lack of flu shots can be traced back to him.
It's more than a stretch

W seemed to have questionable judgement.

timschochet said:
Probably yeah. 

Oh my

fantasycurse42 said:
At an absolute minimum, we won’t have a vaccine for this for a year. Did you watch the press conference?

Go ahead and compare this to the flu, you take your 2.5% shot at death.
The one-outer on the river is nothing to sneeze at.

I think the problem for Trump here is that there is no way to handle this.  It's going to spread extremely wildly, the news is going to play it like its Armageddon and the economy is going to sputter...right in time for november

I don't think this would be good for any president nor is there anything Trump can do

It's going to spread extremely wildly, the news is going to play it like its Armageddon and the economy is going to sputter...
This is one of my biggest concerns.  Some people are already freaking out.  Everyone should be taking the necessary precautions and preparing for the worst, but talking about cancelling schools and events seems very premature to me. 

This is one of my biggest concerns.  Some people are already freaking out.  Everyone should be taking the necessary precautions and preparing for the worst, but talking about cancelling schools and events seems very premature to me. 
Everything I read is that most people that get this will suffer symptoms like a flu or a cold and recover in a few days. 

If that is case then I think a lot of these countries are overreacting: like France which just cancelled all gatherings of more than 5,000 people. 

My guess- and that’s all it is, is that by mid summer this story will peter out and the stock market will recover- but that doesn’t mean it won’t affect the election- I think it probably will to the extent that it will cement in a lot of people’s minds what many suspected anyhow: that Trump, by insisting on cronies all around him, is not really up for the job. And that could be huge IF he has to face Biden, who is perceived widely as a “steady hand at the wheel”- less so if Bernie is the opponent. 

Whats so ironic about this is that, in my judgment, Trump hasn’t done a poor job here. I don’t approve of his cuts to the CDC and certain officials, but since the crisis started he made the correct decision about China and he’s made pretty good decisions since. But as usual he can’t keep his mouth shut and that really hurts him. 

People love fear...my mom is watching 24 hour news non stop right now.  She's the norm.  The more fear the more profits and they are going to keep playing it like they are playing it.  Wait until some kid dies from it...sure it will probably be an immuno-compromised kid with a brain tumor and no immune system, but that's not how it's going to look

People love fear...my mom is watching 24 hour news non stop right now.  She's the norm.  The more fear the more profits and they are going to keep playing it like they are playing it.  Wait until some kid dies from it...sure it will probably be an immuno-compromised kid with a brain tumor and no immune system, but that's not how it's going to look
Reminds me of 9/11.  Knew older people that wouldn't leave their house because they might miss a "news alert" .

Freaking out already happening on this very board. It’s a shame but an understandable human reaction. 

Trump's handling of this pandemic officially has me ready to vote for whoever his opponent is, even Bernie. I put health and safety above everything, he obviously does not. 

Anecdotal, but my inlaws are huge Trump supporters, they currently liken what is happening to the flu, no surprise there. Worst part is, they're much more susceptible to death than I am. 

So to me, it was a watershed moment. I'm on Bloomberg, Biden, or Bernie; doesn't matter which one to me... Anyone but Trump!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread