What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Post here when coaches do something you disagree with (1 Viewer)

I feel like DEN was pretty freely picking up 5ish yards too. It wasn't like the Seattle defense was smothering them. Any decent coach would have a good couple plays (at least) for that exact scenario, especially with the offensive weapons DEN has.

Lovie Smith wasn’t on national television but what he did was beyond worse Sunday. At least Hackett tried to win even if very poorly executed/reasoned. Lovie decided to take a tie instead of trying to win. He was afraid to risk losing, completely gutless. And he doesn’t have being a first time coach to fall back on as an excuse either.
I disagree and think there's nothing wrong with what Lovie did. Everyone loves to sit and blast them, but if he goes for it and is stopped, that sucks way more than losing.

A tie vs Indy is a big win for Houston.
I can’t say I agree with your take in the slightest. It doesn’t suck giving it your all and going down swinging IMO, especially for a team that only won 4 games last year. So maybe just a philosophical disagreement on this and agree to disagree.

But 4th and 3 from the Indy 49 with 26 seconds left? Especially given the Indy kicker had already missed a game winning FG, and had two kickoffs go out of bounds? He was massively shaky and the Colts are already trying out new kickers today. I’d love to see the analytics on this.

Last edited:
Steelers just punted down 9 with 4 minutes left in the game. Sure, it was 4th and 6 from their own 10, but what's your plan for getting two scores in this scenario?

Steelers just punted down 9 with 4 minutes left in the game. Sure, it was 4th and 6 from their own 10, but what's your plan for getting two scores in this scenario?
It's called throwing in the towel. Tomlin just wants to get out of there. This offense scoring 9 points in 4 minutes is virtually impossible. He probably just wanted to get them out healthy.

At the time I was saying to my friend “there - now they know he can’t possibly make that kick. Carroll just gave them time to reconsider & send Russ back on the field.”

In that light it was an even worse decision by Carroll - he’s just lucky Hackett was dumber than he was in the moment.

Literally sees his K flail miserably & opts to *do the same thing again*.
I thought the kick was long enough and just missed to the left. I thought it showed that he had the distance and just needed to dial in the direction a bit. I didn't think it was a miserable fail at all. Then McManus kicked it the exact same and missed just to the left again. No adjustment.

(I am not saying it was the right decision just that the "practice" kick wasn't "failing miserably" as you said)

HOW DO YOU GET A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY ON THE GAME-DECIDING TWO-POINT CONVERSION?!?!?!?!?!
I thought it could actually help them. More room for the WR's to work and to spread everyone out to let Kyler improvise. I think some teams benefit from being out a few more yards than everything being crammed in 2 yds out.

It's called throwing in the towel. Tomlin just wants to get out of there. This offense scoring 9 points in 4 minutes is virtually impossible. He probably just wanted to get them out healthy.
He was playing a team that gave up 14 points in two minutes to Joe Flacco last week!

HOW DO YOU GET A DELAY OF GAME PENALTY ON THE GAME-DECIDING TWO-POINT CONVERSION?!?!?!?!?!
I thought it could actually help them. More room for the WR's to work and to spread everyone out to let Kyler improvise. I think some teams benefit from being out a few more yards than everything being crammed in 2 yds out.
I disagree entirely with this. They’re still compressed in the red zone, defense is every bit as rough - it’s not like the difference between 5 yards out and 25.

It’s essentially exactly the same defensively, but offensively it’s added yardage making it more difficult.

The delay of game was inexcusable there.

I disagree entirely with this. They’re still compressed in the red zone, defense is every bit as rough - it’s not like the difference between 5 yards out and 25.

It’s essentially exactly the same defensively, but offensively it’s added yardage making it more difficult.

If it wasn't done on purpose then I agree it was inexcusable.

As far as the difference between 2 yds and 7 yds out, I do believe it is quite a bit different to defend for an offense like Arizona. It allows the field to spread a bit more which only benefits Kyler's improvisation skills. This team was not going to run for it so there is no real advantage to being at 2 yds as opposed to 7ds from the goal line. Now a team like Cleveland that would be a big difference because it eliminates the option of giving it to Chubb or using play action on a jumbo formation. Arizona wasn't going to do either of those things.

I would have gone for it. The D did get the ball back though.
Actually, that kind of proves the point. The defense did just about everything that could have been asked of them, holding the Browns to two straight three-and-outs. And it got the Steelers offense one scoring drive and one where they got the ball back on their own 4 with 9 seconds left.

This is mostly an academic discussion; at the point where they punted, they had a 1.1% WP, so it's unlikely anything they did would have helped. But the principle is one that for some reason continues to baffle NFL coaches: possession >>>>>> field position, especially when you're in a situation where you need to engineer multiple scoring drives

I would have gone for it. The D did get the ball back though.
Actually, that kind of proves the point. The defense did just about everything that could have been asked of them, holding the Browns to two straight three-and-outs. And it got the Steelers offense one scoring drive and one where they got the ball back on their own 4 with 9 seconds left.

This is mostly an academic discussion; at the point where they punted, they had a 1.1% WP, so it's unlikely anything they did would have helped. But the principle is one that for some reason continues to baffle NFL coaches: possession >>>>>> field position, especially when you're in a situation where you need to engineer multiple scoring drives
Their best chance to win at that point was probably a Brown's turnover.

As far as the difference between 2 yds and 7 yds out, I do believe it is quite a bit different to defend for an offense like Arizona. It allows the field to spread a bit more which only benefits Kyler's improvisation skills. This team was not going to run for it so there is no real advantage to being at 2 yds as opposed to 7ds from the goal line. Now a team like Cleveland that would be a big difference because it eliminates the option of giving it to Chubb or using play action on a jumbo formation. Arizona wasn't going to do either of those things.
It certainly didn't appear to be on purpose in the moment. Exasperated frustration all around.

The Cards' big mistake was taking only 1 delay of game. Imagine trying to corral Kyler from 12 yards out. The defense would have no shot.

The Cards' big mistake was taking only 1 delay of game. Imagine trying to corral Kyler from 12 yards out. The defense would have no shot.
3 even better!

3 even better!
You all laugh, but we're only a couple years away from Bruce Arians announcing that he deliberately took a delay of game penalty because he thought the longer FGA would be better for Matt Gay (Gay ended up shanking the potential game winner).

I don't believe Kingsbury acted deliberately on Sunday though. What's the old saying? Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence.

I don't believe Kingsbury acted deliberately on Sunday though. What's the old saying? Never attribute to conspiracy that which can be explained by incompetence.
I wasn't trying to say it was done deliberately or there was some sort of conspiracy. I was only stating I don't think it hurt them for the 2pt attempt.

He was playing a team that gave up 14 points in two minutes to Joe Flacco last week!
I’m not disagreeing with you. I posted it in the game thread immediately that it made no sense. Just saying that with how bad the offense is, it probably makes no difference. But still doesn’t excuse the decision.

Why did Green Bay run the clock down before they attempted a field goal in overtime when the next score won the game?

Wouldn’t you leave some time on the clock in case there was a bad snap and you could down the ball and try again?

Why did Green Bay run the clock down before they attempted a field goal in overtime when the next score won the game?

Wouldn’t you leave some time on the clock in case there was a bad snap and you could down the ball and try again?
I didn't get that either. I guess the thinking is that you don't want to leave any time for the Patriots in case you miss the FG, but a bad snap seems more likely than the Patriots pulling off a miracle 75-year play with a 3rd string QB, but I am sure the analytics told LaFleur to do it that way. :lol:

I didn't get that either. I guess the thinking is that you don't want to leave any time for the Patriots in case you miss the FG, but a bad snap seems more likely than the Patriots pulling off a miracle 75-year play with a 3rd string QB, but I am sure the analytics told LaFleur to do it that way. :lol:
Romo also disagreed in a kind way on the broadcast

That makes me second guess myself. Romo is good as an announcer, but his advice and comments at the end of halves/games are good reminders of why he often struggled at the end of games. His announcing is like his QB play: really good for most of the game, but head scratching at the end.

John Harbaugh, with the game tied and less than 2 minutes left (I believe), on 4th and goal from about the 4. OBVIOUSLY, you kick a FG, right? Nope, he goes for it and it's picked off, and Josh Allen drives for the easy game winning FG. Stupid, IMO...

I didn’t have the volume on.

Yeah I mean I guess you’re “guaranteeing” the tie, but you’re making the win slightly less sure?

Just seemed weird to me.

John Harbaugh, with the game tied and less than 2 minutes left (I believe), on 4th and goal from about the 4. OBVIOUSLY, you kick a FG, right? Nope, he goes for it and it's picked off, and Josh Allen drives for the easy game winning FG. Stupid, IMO...
Dumbest thing I’ve seen a coach do in awhile. Couldn’t believe it live

I didn't see it, but if that actually happened as described, just wow.

Not quite as bad, but the Browns not taking the chip shot field goal on their first possession was a horrid decision. I forget the exact yardline, but it was like 4th and 2 from maybe the 5? Silly. Stefanski making decisions like he has a real QB. Newsflash, we do not Kev

I didn't see it, but if that actually happened as described, just wow.

Not quite as bad, but the Browns not taking the chip shot field goal on their first possession was a horrid decision. I forget the exact yardline, but it was like 4th and 2 from maybe the 5? Silly. Stefanski making decisions like he has a real QB. Newsflash, we do not Kev
I saw that Browns play too.

I had recommended a buddy to smash the falcons +1 on a pretty big bet and the Browns just walked down to the other end.

I panicked a little.

But then they did that and things panned out.

It’s also funny to watch the Browns as a Chubb owner for the first time. The guy is clipping off 7-8 yards a carry and doesn’t seem tired and all the sudden Hunt gets subbed in mid-series.

I get these guys are both good, but as a coach I ride that hot hand on a drive.

This doesn't really make sense. If they took a couple shots to the end zone, they could either (1) score, game over; (2) incomplete, no problem; (3) throw an interception, bad outcome. Why not try to make a couple safe play calls targeting the end zone? Especially with a veteran QB.

Your response is assuming they try a FG and miss. Why not try to win the game with a TD and fall back to FG?

That said, the coaching staff must have had the same perspective you are representing here.

Romo started to question not saving time for the botched snap, but quickly went away from it when he realized GB had only the 1 TO left. In order to play for the potential botched snap (I'm assuming you'd save the final TO for that possibility), GB would have to send out the FG unit while the play clock ran. Certainly not a big deal, but probably a little more comfortable to do it after calling a TO. Plus the whole "it leaves the Pats no time if it misses" thing.

I don't think it's that clear cut either way.

This doesn't really make sense. If they took a couple shots to the end zone, they could either (1) score, game over; (2) incomplete, no problem; (3) throw an interception, bad outcome. Why not try to make a couple safe play calls targeting the end zone? Especially with a veteran QB.

Your response is assuming they try a FG and miss. Why not try to win the game with a TD and fall back to FG?

That said, the coaching staff must have had the same perspective you are representing here.
Despite being someone who thinks NFL coaches settle way too quickly for the winning FG attempt instead of going for the TD, I believe LaFleur got this one right. Yes with Rodgers, you feel safer going for the TD than probably anyone else. But his receivers are pretty inexperienced. And there are a few other bad things that could happen that you didn't mention. Botched snap, sack, fumble, penalty, etc. Sure they're fairly unlikely.

I looked up Crosby's stats and he's 95.6% on PATs since they switched to the current distance. This was 2 yards closer. I think locking in a win 96% and a tie 4% is about as good as you can hope for there.

If GB called some end zone fade that got picked (yes I know that's a very unlikely event given the QB) and the game had ended in a tie, this thread would have lit up. And legitimately so.

As listed, I'd agree that kicking FG makes more sense. But it was actually about 4:30 left and 4th and goal from the 2 and a half yard line. To me, this is really close. And going up against probably the best team in the league, you should be more likely to take the higher variance play, aka go for it.

Not sure if it accounts for the actual teams playing (or if it just treats every situation as an average NFL team), but 4th down bot liked the call.
4th down bot on twitter

As listed, I'd agree that kicking FG makes more sense. But it was actually about 4:30 left and 4th and goal from the 2 and a half yard line. To me, this is really close. And going up against probably the best team in the league, you should be more likely to take the higher variance play, aka go for it.

Not sure if it accounts for the actual teams playing (or if it just treats every situation as an average NFL team), but 4th down bot liked the call.
4th down bot on twitter
I had been wondering what the 4th Down Bot would say.

I'm still deciding what I think about it, but one other point to keep in mind: Everyone's assuming it "didn't work" because they failed to convert and then lost the game. But another way to look at it is that subsequent events validated Harbaugh's decision. Buffalo took the ball straight down the field and almost certainly could have punched it in if they had wanted to. Which is another way of saying Baltimore needed that TD, and a FG wouldn't have done them any good.

Of course, we shouldn't be going results-shopping in either direction, but that last Buffalo drive was very foreseeable. The Ravens have now blown leads of 21 and 17 so far this season. I can definitely see the logic in Harbaugh wanting to put the game in the hands of his All-Pro QB rather than his defense.

I'm old so forget the game, but it was an early one yesterday that ended pretty late. Scenario was down 7 with like 2:04 left and 3 time outs. Coach opted to try a 60 yard FG instead of punt and pin the team, get three stops and the ball back with like 1:30 at potentially midfield. Mind blowing that an NFL coach being paid millions of dollars thought it was better to go down 4, then kickoff and try to get said stop. A 50 yard FG attempt, ok you can defend that logic. But 60 yarders must be what 25% at best success rate? Horrible.

Yeah I was really unclear what happened, I almost thought that the chyron was wrong and it couldn't be fourth down. So dumb. And then the pick touchback so they aren't even pinned at the 2 or wherever. That was icing on the cake.

Users who are viewing this thread