What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Preseason Week 1 (1 Viewer)

buster05

Footballguy
Hey guys, what are some position battles you are hoping to start watching for this week? I realize week 3 is the final tuneup for the starters but we gotta start somewhere. Det & Atl LB are 2 situations i am watching.

Not so much a position battle but wanting to see how the Vikings 3-4 benefits D.Hunter, he is now a LB in my league's system so I am hoping he is still at least viable as a LB.

Not so much a position battle but wanting to see how the Vikings 3-4 benefits D.Hunter, he is now a LB in my league's system so I am hoping he is still at least viable as a LB.
This is likely much more dependent on your scoring system. For me, he will still be dominant because we are a big play scoring so he doesn't really lose anything other than taking another DL out of play.

Although, he has been generally a higher tackle DE than most so he should still be serviceable even in standard scoring situations.

PS - I am not so sure pre-season will show much for you. With his injury history I don't expect him to get much run.

Stuff that matters to my rosters:

DET DE (2 Okwaras, Harris, Hutch, Paschal... how do 5 guys shake out?)
KCC DE (Karlaftis/Dunlap/Clark - how much PT?)
SEA DE (Rotation? Taylor gets featured?)
DET LB (hope we can end up with Barnes-Rodriguez instead of Anzalone)
SDC LB (Tranquill/Reeder? hope Murray gets healthy so we can see how he fits)
LVR LB (Deablo/Brown?)
ATL LB (hope Jones is healthy so we can see the hierarchy - Walker/Evans)
NYJ LB (QWilliams for real? Nasirildeen maybe?)
KCC LB (maybe they play someone more than 70% of snaps?)
CLE LB (Walker/Phillips)
PHI LB (Edwards/White/Dean)
SFO S (though it looks like they might go 2-high and make it less important - Hufanga/Odum/Moore)
TBB S (too many guys - where does Neal fit?)
IND S (Cross/McLeod)
CLE S (Delpit/Harrison deployment - is one a fake LB?)

Just a general watch for the non-premium rookie playing time - guys like Drake Jackson, Troy Andersen, Jermaine Johnson, Sam Williams, Christian Harris, Tindall, Cine, Pitre, Cook.

Also, does anyone sign Joe Schobert?

Broncos signed LB Joe Schobert.​

Schobert was a March cap casualty as the Steelers upgraded to Myles Jack at linebacker. He visited the Saints in June and Broncos in July, but the dislocated elbow of Jonas Griffith in week one of preseason appears to be the driving force behind this signing. Schobert will be competing with Josey Jewell and Alex Singleton for work inside.

Denver just signed him.
I assume he’ll be one of the two inside backers there, will be he all three downs?
At this point I don't see him as much of a useful guy. He wasn't good last year and I don't see him as anything more than insurance and a fill in guy for Denver. I wouldn't waste time on him.

He was invisible with the Steelers last year. Take Spillane for the steelers before schobert. Spillane will be starting iLB there by week 4, probably earlier. Bush is a disaster.

DET DE (2 Okwaras, Harris, Hutch, Paschal... how do 5 guys shake out?)
KCC DE (Karlaftis/Dunlap/Clark - how much PT?)
SEA DE (Rotation? Taylor gets featured?)
DET LB (hope we can end up with Barnes-Rodriguez instead of Anzalone)
SDC LB (Tranquill/Reeder? hope Murray gets healthy so we can see how he fits)
LVR LB (Deablo/Brown?)
ATL LB (hope Jones is healthy so we can see the hierarchy - Walker/Evans)
NYJ LB (QWilliams for real? Nasirildeen maybe?)
KCC LB (maybe they play someone more than 70% of snaps?)
CLE LB (Walker/Phillips)
PHI LB (Edwards/White/Dean)
SFO S (though it looks like they might go 2-high and make it less important - Hufanga/Odum/Moore)
TBB S (too many guys - where does Neal fit?)
IND S (Cross/McLeod)
CLE S (Delpit/Harrison deployment - is one a fake LB?)

Just a general watch for the non-premium rookie playing time - guys like Drake Jackson, Troy Andersen, Jermaine Johnson, Sam Williams, Christian Harris, Tindall, Cine, Pitre, Cook.

Tick,
I like the post. I have similar questions

LBs
Browns: Phillips or Walker? I'm hoping it's Phillips as I'm sure I could get him late in my draft
Cards: Z Collins or Vigil - you would think it would be Collins, younger guy and all. Vigil seems to have been around a while with little noise
Philly: Any insight if Dean is going to start over Edwards? I would think White is a lock to be one of the starters. I do like Edwards since he went to my daughters high school
Saints: Is it finally time for Werner? I'm hoping he gets the start but I'm hearing he's got a groin injury
Steelers: Is it time to give up on Devin Bush? His play last year is not the same kid that rocked his rookie year and at Michigan.
Broncos: Sounds like Griffith won't be out long. Think he gets his starting spot back when he returns or will Schobert or Singleton lock it down?
Falcons: Who's going to start for them, D Jones, Evans, Walker, or rookie Anderson? I heard they are trying to get rid of Jones, Evans has always been a disappointment, Walker has looked good when given a chance, and let's give the Rookie a shot as this team is going to be bad!
Lions: Are they really going to start Anzalone again? I'd like to see Barnes get a shot
Panthers: I'm guessing Thompson will start again but I won't be getting him. But who's the other starter, Damien Wilson or LIttleton. If Littleton starts, I'd rather take a swing with him than Thompson at their current ADPs
Texans: Think they will run with Kirksey and Grugier Hill or will the rookie Harris get a shot? I'm guessing the 2 Vets but I'll have Harris on waiver watch

Safeties
Colts: Sure hoping Cross wins SS job over McLeod. I've had McLeod in the past and he just doesn't get enough tackles
Jags: Do we think Rayshawn Jenkins wins the SS job? I'm hearing Cisco looks good but I was thinking he might be at FS
Eagles: What are our thoughts with Marcus Epps as SS. I'm hearing Tartt is already hurt again
49ers: I'm hearing Hufanga might get the nod at SS
Ravens: Think rookie Hamilton can beat out Ole Chuck Clark?
Lions: What are the thoughts SS here, Walker or Deshon Elliot?
Jets: Does Whitehead get the SS job over Astyn Davis?
Falcons: Who's the guy to get? Richie Grant or Jaylinn Hawkins?

He was invisible with the Steelers last year. Take Spillane for the steelers before schobert. Spillane will be starting iLB there by week 4, probably earlier. Bush is a disaster.
This post got me looking around:

Reporter: "Is Devin Bush a three-down linebacker or is that to be determined?" Mike Tomlin: "To be determined."
I have a really deep draft coming up this week, and Spillane might make a nice last pick.

Reporter: "Is Devin Bush a three-down linebacker or is that to be determined?" Mike Tomlin: "To be determined."
I have a really deep draft coming up this week, and Spillane might make a nice last pick.
The heat on Bush is high, and he looked bad in week 1 preseason, again. Clock is ticking on him. Spillane is next in line, and a nice flier to take in the later rounds. He isnt great either tho, thats the steelers problem, no depth at iLB.

The heat on Bush is high, and he looked bad in week 1 preseason, again. Clock is ticking on him. Spillane is next in line, and a nice flier to take in the later rounds. He isnt great either tho, thats the steelers problem, no depth at iLB.
I may be biased as a Steeler fan but I am wondering if Bush even makes the 53. His injury seems to have robbed him of a lot of his explosiveness and based on interviews I have seen, he doesn't seem interested in being there.

I was hoping Buddy Johnson could step up, but reports have been that he looks “lost” a lot of the time. Spillane definitely could benefit but I could see them adding someone after cutdowns because yes, the depth is not good.

Mark Robinson is someone to put on your watch list as he has been getting some buzz this preseason.

Hot rumors flying around that the Steelers are interested in trading for Roquan Smith but I can’t see it unless the bills are willing to move him for a lot less than I think.

Great convos here. Here are my taeks on position battles. Let's keep crowd-sourcing this! What are y'all seeing?
AZ LBs: Collins makes me nervous. Hopefully, we'll learn something tonight. I'm ranking Vigil as a 2-down LB for now.
ATL LBs: Latest rumors have Debo coming back. I think Walker, who was wearing the dot last week, is his direct back-up
ATL safeties: Grant and Hawkins. Grant's a deep-league option only imo.
BAL SAF: Clark's holding off Hamilton for now. Could evolve in-season.
CAR LB: Wilson is the MIKE but will play 600-700 snaps. Pass.
CLE SAF: Ronnie Harrison's back on a near-minimum vet contract. I think he's a dime LB. He can't play single-high. Delpit and JJ3 to start and play somewhat interchangeably. Delpit might be useful for FFB. JJ3 is a more proven deep guy.
CLE LB: I think they WANT Phillips to earn the job, but he has to do it. Hasn't yet.
DEN LB: I've been banging the table about this for weeks. It's Jewell. If Schobert was more than depth, he'd have been signed before Griffith got hurt.
DET LB: I suspect Barnes is behind Anzalone. Rodriguez appears to have earned the other LB spot.
DET SAF: Walker strong, Elliott free
HOU: Who's Jon Owen? Is he for real or clearly Eric Murray's back-up? I guess my bewilderment over Lovie Smith's opinion of Eric Murray as a starting caliber player clouds my perspective on this. Pitre the other starter. Enough two-high that none matter much.
IND SAF: Cross 🆙
JAX: Jenkins strong, Cisco free. Based on deployment, Jenkings SHOULD be useful, but that's been the case for a couple years now. o_O
KCC DE: I was worried Dunlap was signed to start, but it doesn't look like it. Clark and Karlaftis ftw.
LVR LB: Deablo ahead of Brown based on their second game. Brown ran with the 2s. IMO, the bigger question is whether Perryman will play full-time for the first time in his career (83% last year). I can't understand why nearly everyone thinks he will. Any insights, y'all?
LAC LB: Van Noy and Tranquill. I'd be surprised if either played more than 85% of snaps. Both go so late in drafts that they're worth a shot.
NYG SAF: McKinney ftw. Love doesn't matter for FFB.
NYJ LB: Kwon and Quincy battling. Need more info.
NYJ SAF: Whitehead and Joyner start. Some guy named Jason Pinnock is a darkhorse at free. Davis is :poop:.
NOS LB: Werner's the guy next to Davis, but look at Kwon's snap share last year. 75% maybe? Dyno hold.
PHI LB: It's Edwards's job as long as he can hold off Dean. So far, so good.
PHI SAF: I've scoffed at Epps, but it looks real. I thought Tartt could earn a job here, but he's battling for a roster spot. I'm watching Philly vs. Cleveland now. Tartt just took the field. :oldunsure: That's after missing last week's game for personal reasons.
PIT: If Bush matters for FFB, it's because he backs into it on a thin depth chart. Myles Jack will be his usual inefficient self as the 3-down LB.
SFO SAF: No one's taking hold of the spot next to Ward. The most significant FFB impact is perhaps that Ward's value is blunted. SFO wants Hufanga or Moore to emerge as the deep guy. Moore's lost a step after the Achilles. I'm not sure why SFO projected Hufanga for that role in the first place. Odum is depth and special teams ace IMO.
SEA EDG: Mafe looks the part. He was supposed to be a project. Neither Nwosu or Taylor are stout enough in run D. Maybe odd fronts will help reduce Seattle's exposure there. Then the question is, can any of them cover? All are deep dart throws IMO.
TB DBs: There's a clear top 4 here IMO: Davis, Dean, Winfield, Edwards. Neal, Ryan, Bunting all battling for snaps behind them.

Feeling pretty frustrated by the lack of info on LVEs use in subpackages, and reading the scraps we're getting on Zaven Collins.

I can keep 5 LBs, and I'm looking at B Martinez, M Parsons, I Simmons, J Baker, J Davis, LVE, Z Collins, D Bush, and T Reeder. Tackle heavy scoring.

Do we know who will be filling in for Shaq-Darius Leonard while he is out? Okerke will be fine but who will be taking Leonard's place? EJ Speed? Zaire Franklin?

Also, anything more about Leonard? We go that initial scare of out indefinitely and then could play week 1 but nothing really since that I could find. Thoughts? How far are you dropping him (if at all)?

Yes, Debo = Deion Jones.

Everything I'm reading is that Zaire Franklin would assume Leonard's snaps if he misses time. And no, I haven't seen anything outside of that one national reporter's story on Leonard. It'd be nice if a local beat writer would confirm. I'm not dropping Leonard down the ranks until I see that.

There's a bit of a "too many mouths to feed" problem in Tampa. Who's the odd man out? Sean Murphy-Bunting? Would a LB lose snaps? If I had to spitball snap projections, I'd say 350 for Neal. Ryan should outsnap Bunting. By a lot? Maybe. If those three guys combine for 1500 snaps, then it comes at a LB's expense (i.e., more dime than we're used to seeing from TB).

There's this about Shaquille Darius Leonard:

Comparing Maniac to Peyton Manning is scary. But a LB can't play at all similarly impaired, i wouldn't think. Is it atrophy and conditioning? Would he play part-time until he's a full go? A lot of uncertainty. More insight is needed IMO. Week 1 status "unclear..." 🤷‍♂️

Do we know who will be filling in for Shaq-Darius Leonard while he is out? Okerke will be fine but who will be taking Leonard's place? EJ Speed? Zaire Franklin?

Also, anything more about Leonard? We go that initial scare of out indefinitely and then could play week 1 but nothing really since that I could find. Thoughts? How far are you dropping him (if at all)?

Also, even if one is the clear frontrunner, can we assume it's a full time role? Situations like this could easily be a 2 man rotation (even LB & DB) filling Leonard's shoes in more situation-based roles.

There's this about Shaquille Darius Leonard:

Comparing Maniac to Peyton Manning is scary. But a LB can't play at all similarly impaired, i wouldn't think. Is it atrophy and conditioning? Would he play part-time until he's a full go? A lot of uncertainty. More insight is needed IMO. Week 1 status "unclear..." 🤷‍♂️
And that is exactly why I made room for another LB (Morrow) a few weeks back as I am not 100% sure he will be startable for the first few weeks until he gets up to game speed, if he is great I can drop Morrow if I need something somewhere else, but I wanted to hedge my bets there.

Users who are viewing this thread