What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Private plane (1 Viewer)

Schmeabs

Footballguy
My son's Legion baseball team is playing in the State Championship today. If they win, they advance to play in the Regionals next week. The only issue is that is 1200 miles away making it a long drive. It is a double elimination tournament starting Wednesday and ending Sunday so it makes it hard to buy an airline ticket since I don't know when they will be done. I have a friend who has a 4 seat private plane that offered me a ride but my wife thinks I am crazy to consider it for safety reasons. Have any of you flew on a small private plane?

My uncle was a pilot, and when I was a kid I flew with him in a little 4 seater from the Portland area to Oakland. Also flew on a small float plane in Alaska a couple of times. Go for it! And good luck to your kid!

My son's Legion baseball team is playing in the State Championship today. If they win, they advance to play in the Regionals next week. The only issue is that is 1200 miles away making it a long drive. It is a double elimination tournament starting Wednesday and ending Sunday so it makes it hard to buy an airline ticket since I don't know when they will be done. I have a friend who has a 4 seat private plane that offered me a ride but my wife thinks I am crazy to consider it for safety reasons. Have any of you flew on a small private plane?
have her look up aircraft fatality rates compared to cars

Could you just plan to stay the duration of the tournament? When we went to the state tournaments we had hotels booked for the duration and watched the other games after we were eliminated.

I've flown on small private planes a few times and felt safe.

You're thinking of commercial aircraft. Private aircraft are much, much more dangerous than commercial carriers. I can't vouch for this source and apparently it's not easy to make this an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's not actually clear that driving is more dangerous than flying privately.

That said, yeah I'd probably fly. On a Danger Scale ranging from "riding a bicycle across an empty parking lot" to "going to the bottom of the ocean in a submersible built in some dude's garage," taking a flight on a private plane is a lot closer to the first thing than the second.

1200 miles in a 4-seater like a Piper Cherokee or a Cessna 172 will be a tough ride. I'd see about an airline ticket.

If you are not a professional pilot, you most likely have not logged hours on a flight simulator practicing what to do in various emergency situations. I'm sure your friend has had many successful flights, but it only takes one emergency in the air and if he's not prepared for it you're in serious trouble. I would rather deal with the hassle/cost of refundable airline tickets and dealing with their flight schedules than take the risk with an amateur pilot.

Well, we lost first game in a heart breaker. Rematch to see who goes to Regionals. Hopefully didn't jinx us!

Thanks for all the replies

when I was 15, my club soccer team had a tournament near Sacramento, roughly 1.5hrs by car from where I lived. I also had a piano competition at the end of the 2nd day of the tournament.

we went to the finals of the soccer tournament, which then went into overtime, both of which put the piano competition at risk. my teammate's dad had a little plane they had flown up in- and offered to take me back- cutting the time in about half. I barely made it there in time, still in my uniform since I had expected to go home first... but I never would have without the plane ride home. it must have been a 2 seater- my dad gave his son a ride back and then picked me up.

the ride itself was amazing and never felt anything but safe.

my wife would never let that happen with our kids. ever. ever. ever.

I'd always wondered about this... so looked it up. Bolded at the bottom seems to be the answer.

I get this question a lot from people who are apprehensive about flying with a private pilot. I'm afraid I won't be reducing these fears in any way. Let's review some general statistics during 2008. Note - these stats aren't specific to light or single engine aircraft:
  • NTSB reported there were 1.21 fatalities per 100,000 flight hours for private aircraft (Part 91 operators).
  • NHTSA reported there were 1.26 fatalities per 100 million miles travelled by automobile
We can equate that to about 2 million hours (estimating an average speed of 50mph). This gives us 0.063 fatalities per 100,000 driving hours.

Private aircraft have a fatality rate about 19 times greater than driving. It is also true that a majority of the accidents that occur are pilot error (71%) and could have been prevented.

There are risks involved when taking to the sky as a private pilot and understanding these risks is part of the continual learning process. The key to safety is performing careful planning, keeping current and proficient, knowing when to cancel flights or turn around and not to exceed your capabilities or the capabilities of your aircraft.

Since Geoff took the devil's advocate position, I'll play cheerleader.

If you look at the statistics another way, like AOPA does, you'll find that General Aviation has "about one-sixth as many accidents on a per-vehicle-mile basis" compared to driving.

Or to put it another way I'm 6 times more likely to get in a car accident driving to the airport as I am doing an equivalent number of miles puttering around in the pattern (my drive isn't that far - it's only worth a few laps around the pattern).

So now I've gone and left you with two essentially contradictory answers, both based on statistics from the same source, and both equally valid from a cold, unfeeling, numerical standpoint. But the answer isn't important.

Geoff and I are both really making the same point:

Each flight is as safe as the pilot wants to make it.

Yes, many times. If you know it is an experienced pilot if you look at stats and the way people drive today it is much safer to fly.

That being said there is one guy who is a pilot I know who I would not drive in a car with him let alone a plane, but he is 55 years old and flies 2-3 times a week for 25 years without any issues. Just a big boozer, but I know he does not drink 24 hours before flying.

You're thinking of commercial aircraft. Private aircraft are much, much more dangerous than commercial carriers. I can't vouch for this source and apparently it's not easy to make this an apples-to-apples comparison, but it's not actually clear that driving is more dangerous than flying privately.

That said, yeah I'd probably fly. On a Danger Scale ranging from "riding a bicycle across an empty parking lot" to "going to the bottom of the ocean in a submersible built in some dude's garage," taking a flight on a private plane is a lot closer to the first thing than the second.

Your own link indicates the #1 cause of accidents in GA is pilot error. So, I'd say the best thing you can do to minimize your risk of an accident is to ensure your pilot takes their flying seriously.

If you are not a professional pilot, you most likely have not logged hours on a flight simulator practicing what to do in various emergency situations. I'm sure your friend has had many successful flights, but it only takes one emergency in the air and if he's not prepared for it you're in serious trouble. I would rather deal with the hassle/cost of refundable airline tickets and dealing with their flight schedules than take the risk with an amateur pilot.

Not sure what you're basing this on but I can assure you that even GA pilots train for emergencies, and not in a simulator, but in a real plane. The amount of training one goes through before being granted a Private Pilot's License is extensive and includes emergencies.

I wouldn't do it. I'd especially not let my children do it if I had any (I'm assuming that I'd be a normal parent whose throat would get a lump whenever their child did anything needlessly dangerous).

Our CTO died in a private plane crash. I don’t like em personally. I’m talking the 2-4 seaters. Not a Gulfstream V

Was in a small Cessna once. Bouncey, noisy, uncomfortable. Got out half way through. But that was the plan all along anyway.

Unfortuntely we lost both games yesterday in the championship in the double elimination tournament so they won't be making the trip. They finished the season 50-8 and that was the first time they lost 2 games in a row all season. Bummer.

I still don't know if I would have driven or taken him up on his offer to go on his plane. Thanks for all of the replies.

1. No, I've never flown in a private plane, but I almost went to a golf tournament this past weekend in one similar to what you described. So, yes, I'm open to it.

2. I miss legion ball. Loved the spring/summer where I played HS, legion, and amateur ball all at the same time. Must have played over 100 games that year.

It is a double elimination tournament starting Wednesday and ending Sunday so it makes it hard to buy an airline ticket since I don't know when they will be done.
I know this doesn't matter now - but you could have just bought a one way ticket. Or bought a WED- SUN one and if you lost, just hang out for the duration

In July of 2018, my family (4 of us) flew in a float plane as part of an Alaskan excursion to the Misty Fjord National Monument area near Ketchikan. It was a fantastic experience, one of the highlights of our trip. The pilot's name was Randy. He was a cool dude and a fantastic guide who seemed to be living his dream life. Less than a year later, I heard about mid air collision between two float planes in Ketchikan. Curious, I started looking for info on the incident, and my heart sank when I discovered the plane we flew in was involved in the crash. Randy and his 4 passengers all perished in the crash, along with a passenger in the second plane. Several others from the second plane were injured. My wife was hesitant to go on this excursion when I booked it. She was pretty shaken when she heard the news. I suspect we will never be traveling in such an aircraft again. Wiki write up of the incident

RIP and thanks for the experience, Randy.

Users who are viewing this thread