What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (3 Viewers)

Great value for Carolina, but I kinda hate this move a little, as I was really interested in seeing Matt Corral start this season. Mayfield was seemingly a better fit in Seattle in my opinion. This is probably good news for DJ Moore and CMC though. Say what you want about Mayfield, but he's a major upgrade from what they had a year ago. 

From a win/loss standpoint, I doubt this is enough to make the Panthers a playoff team, or save Matt Rhule's job, but again, it should be better than last year at least. Anything that makes it less likely Sam Darnold and especially PJ Walker don't see the field is a win. 

How many QBs will they carry? One would think Mayfield and Corral are locks, so is Darnold getting cut, or is Walker, or both?

ETA: That Browns/Panthers game in week 1 should be fun.
Don't worry, you'll get to see Corral play this season.

I know it won't/can't happen, but I think the NFL should really make that Panthers/Browns game in week 1 a nationally televised game. I only wish that game was in Cleveland instead of Carolina. 

I know it won't/can't happen, but I think the NFL should really make that Panthers/Browns game in week 1 a nationally televised game. I only wish that game was in Cleveland instead of Carolina. 
As a CLE fan living in the Carolina's and going to the game I strongly disagree

Two teams 90% of the country either hates or doesn’t care about. But yeah, just to see Baker play against the clowns would be fun. 

Who's stock up on Carolina? Does this raise DJ Moore's ceiling a little?

Guess I'm wondering if this breathes a little bit of life back into Robby Andersen being fantasy relevant. Maybe we get a little bit of Tremble/Terrace Marshall bump up?

Drafting him in bb a few days ago in superflex at pick 119 was maybe one of my sharkiest moves. NERD ALERT, he's now stacked on my team with DJM. with a week 17 Bucaneers matchup. 

Guess I'm wondering if this breathes a little bit of life back into Robby Andersen being fantasy relevant. Maybe we get a little bit of Tremble/Terrace Marshall bump up?

Drafting him in bb a few days ago in superflex at pick 119 was maybe one of my sharkiest moves. NERD ALERT, he's now stacked on my team with DJM. with a week 17 Bucaneers matchup. 
I'd say DJM just on TD potential alone.  Crazy to think the QB play in CAR has been so bad that he only has 14 career TD's (in 4 seasons).

I think DJ Moore and Anderson get a bump.  The narrative that Moore ascends and becomes an elite #1 becomes more viable, whereas it was always doubtful with Darnold.  Marshall becomes an interesting pick in the last couple of rounds.

I think DJ Moore and Anderson get a bump.  The narrative that Moore ascends and becomes an elite #1 becomes more viable, whereas it was always doubtful with Darnold.  Marshall becomes an interesting pick in the last couple of rounds.
I don't think its a lock Anderson holds off Marshall. 

This passing game goes through CMC and Moore regardless.

I feel terrible for Baker more so because he did everything asked of him in Clevland even taking them to the playoffs and they turn around and trade for a guy who thinks sexually assaulting women is a good thing. I really don't like either CLE or Carolina but I hope when they play this year Baker throws 5 TDs and gets Rhule to run up the score while Clevland has Watson sitting out a whole year. Then Baker after the game just flips off the Cle sideline poetic justice. 

I feel terrible for Baker more so because he did everything asked of him in Clevland even taking them to the playoffs and they turn around and trade for a guy who thinks sexually assaulting women is a good thing. I really don't like either CLE or Carolina but I hope when they play this year Baker throws 5 TDs and gets Rhule to run up the score while Clevland has Watson sitting out a whole year. Then Baker after the game just flips off the Cle sideline poetic justice. 
Even better for Mayfield would be Watson playing and having a horrible game.

I don't think its a lock Anderson holds off Marshall. 

This passing game goes through CMC and Moore regardless.

Baker would do well to get acquainted with CMC pronto.  He had great RBs in Cleveland but he hasn't had a receiving threat out of the backfield like he has today. No offense to K. Hunt or Chubb. 

Y'all bumping WR's for CAR need to see how that major shoulder surgery went, just saying.
Just guessing here, but I think the panthers receivers may be overdrafted soon. (And I actually kinda like baker’s game)

Carolina is a bit of a mess right now, but without a doubt he goes to a better place to live. If he sticks long term, the panthers has a good chance to hit a SB before Cleveland. Just won’t be this year. 

Y'all bumping WR's for CAR need to see how that major shoulder surgery went, just saying.
I'm guessing that the impact of a torn labrum in your non-throwing shoulder would be less of an issue post surgery. You'd think it's more like something that screwed up your movement/balance etc while not repaired. But it's not like it's directly getting put under tremendous strain like throwing shoulder. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Kinda surprised that more teams weren't interested at this low of a price Mayfield is a middle of the pack starter, who went for a conditional pick, and only costs 5 million this season.

He's costing less than Tyrod Taylor this year, and only slightly more than Mason Rudolph. 
There's only 2 teams that really needed a QB (besides the Browns  ;) ) not counting teams like the Jets, Jacksonville or Chicago that are committed to young QBs.

I don't think the Baker would have waived $3MM of his salary to be a back-up somewhere.

Bump all receivers because of Baker.

The same Baker that's destroyed the value of every wr/te he's worked him.

Good. Luck 👍
🤣🤣🤣

How quickly we forget - am I right?  They literally built an entire team around Baker and he still sucked.  I'll pass on the Mayfield sweepstakes and would be having a Big Summer Blowout on all receivers hoping this signing caught someone in my league's eye. 

Only if you ignore that he missed 1/4 of the season in NY. And then fell off even worse after year one. 
I guess you got me there. 

So we can add Odell to the ever growing list of WRs Baker wrecked. My overall point was, Cleveland never had enough good receivers to blame Baker for "destroying" their value. 

There's only 2 teams that really needed a QB (besides the Browns  ;) ) not counting teams like the Jets, Jacksonville or Chicago that are committed to young QBs.

I don't think the Baker would have waived $3MM of his salary to be a back-up somewhere.
I was thinking for that little money/pick you bring him in as a QB competition guy. Falcons, Lions, Saints, Giants, Eagles, Seahawks, Commanders all made some sense to me. 

His last season in NY and his 1st in Cleveland were nearly identical. 
He did miss 4 games with the Giants that year... Austin Hooper - same thing. 

I'm not sure I would be any more excited to have Baker than I was having Darnold - the only difference is, one of them has played like sh!t with the Panthers and the other one has a year to replicate the other player's poor performance. 

Matt Rhule and Scott Fitterer have no clue - you are better playing Matt Corral than taking on any amount of the Mayfield contract, because it allows you more flexibility with the cap.  Until Baker hit the open market, he was useless because of the hit against the salary cap.  Head coaches and GM's make this mistake when they are nearing the end of the rope - Rhule is trying to win to save his job, but Baker won't do that for him.  

I guess you got me there. 

So we can add Odell to the ever growing list of WRs Baker wrecked. My overall point was, Cleveland never had enough good receivers to blame Baker for "destroying" their value. 
I think you are forgetting the absolute hype train around Jarvis, Hooper, OBJ and that running game.  Mayfield had a better team around him than most QB's under a rookie contract and he did nothing with it.  

Baker, is that you?

I think you are forgetting the absolute hype train around Jarvis, Hooper, OBJ and that running game.  Mayfield had a better team around him than most QB's under a rookie contract and he did nothing with it.  

Baker, is that you?
😜 his OL was decent (better than Cincy anyway), best duo of RBs in the league, and good WR. All that, and his failure, is why he’s gone. But I’ll maintain some optimism with him and his potential to improve. I have him only in one free best ball league but he can be a solid #2. 

Baker, is that you?
LOL. Now we are counting hype train? I’m not even a Baker guy. But let stop with all of the receiving talent he’s supposedly had. 

This idea that Mayfield ruins WRs is hogwash. Jarvis Landry was a solid WR2 every year he was healthy with Mayfield. Its literally just Beckham, and sometimes QB-WRs don't have chemistry. 

Also, Beckham suffered his ACL tear and clearly wasn't the same player upon returning. Yes, Mayfield missed him a few times, but Beckham was no longer an elite WR, and honestly, he hasn't been since at least 2018. That's not all on Mayfield, its mostly on health, but its also on Beckham himself. 

Beckham had an ok run last year against lesser CBs on the Rams title run, but he's a #2 WR at best these days.

Using Hooper as a knock is silly too. Hooper has been JAG his entire career, except for 1 season with Matt Ryan, where the Falcons were the most pass heavy team in the NFL. 

I wouldn't be worried about DJ Moore at all, and feel much better about him than I would have with Darnold. That said, I highly doubt anybody other than Moore(and CMC) has value in that passing game.

Baker 3 year avg (I don't think it makes sense to include last year because he played very visibly injured)

62% completion 

25 TD/14.3 INT 

5% TD 2.8% INT

244 yards per game

Darnold (all 4 years)

60% completion

13.5 TD/ 13.0 INT (9/13 last year)

3.3% TD/ 3.2% INT

212.5 yards per game

Aware of the cherry picking but thinking if they go from 9TD/13 INTs to 25/14 that's a step up. Not a huge step up but better is better.

Both teams gained.

Browns shaved off $8 million dollars of salary cap with a throw-in pick.

---------------------------------------------------------

Jason_OTC@Jason_OTC

Not sure why Mayfield accepted a pay cut. Doesnt make sense unless the playtime incentives are easy to reach or he got some type of no tag clause in the contract.

--------------------

Mike Garafolo@MikeGarafolo

More: The #Browns will pay Baker Mayfield $10.5 million this season, which means they trimmed over $8 million in cash and salary-cap space. The #Panthers will pay Mayfield ~$5 million. Mayfield agreed to trim ~$3.5 million off his base salary.

------------------------------------------------

Panthers improved their QB position.

Baker Mayfield Traded to Carolina Panthers: Fantasy Football Impact & Takeaways (2022)

...With Mayfield in Carolina, it’s an upgrade for all parties involved. The Panthers literally had the worst QB play last year across several metrics including EPA per dropback and success rate.

>>> Chart

------------------------------------------------

Jeremy Igo@CarolinaHuddle

Seeing a lot of people saying that Baker is Darnold because interceptions. Here is a little more context.

Sam 54-52 TD/INT

Baker 92-56 TD/INT

-----------------------------------------------

Mike Clay already updated his projections for the Panthers to show the improved QB grade.

----------------------------------------------

Mike Clay 2022 Carolina Panthers Projections

Combined QB rating was .4

After the trade it increased to .9

An improvement of .5

Nick Whalen@_NickWhalen

Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold Career numbers:

QB rating

• BM 87.8
  • SD 76.9
YPA

• BM 7.3
  • SD 6.5
TD vs INT

• BM 92/56
  • SD 54/52
Sack %

• BM 6.5
  • SD 7.6
It isn’t even close

Nick Whalen@_NickWhalen

Baker Mayfield vs Sam Darnold Career numbers:

QB rating

• BM 87.8
  • SD 76.9
YPA

• BM 7.3
  • SD 6.5
TD vs INT

• BM 92/56
  • SD 54/52
Sack %

• BM 6.5
  • SD 7.6
It isn’t even close
To add to that:

PFF Grade over the last 4 years

Darnold=60.5(33rd)

Mayfield=76.8(17th) and if you don't count last season=81.2(12th)

Users who are viewing this thread