What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (4 Viewers)

Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield completed 23-of-35 passes for 287 yards, two touchdowns and an interception while catching a two-yard trick-play score in Monday's 54-48 double-overtime loss to Georgia in the Rose Bowl.

Mayfield wasn't perfect -- several of his throws sailed high, including one which was picked -- but rallied Oklahoma after they fell behind 38-31 in the fourth, knotting the score with an 11-yard touchdown pass to Dimitri Flowers with just under nine minutes remaining in the game. OU would take the lead on a scoop-and-score fumble recovery just over a minute later before Georgia, themselves, came roaring back to force overtime in the final minute of regulation. The two teams traded field goals in the first overtime, but Sooners K Austin Seibert was blocked on his attempt to lead off double overtime, with Sony Michel ending the game shortly thereafter via a 27-yard touchdown bolt. Mayfield did not come away with a national championship during his time in Normon, but ended his career with a Heisman Trophy for his work this season. While slightly undersized, the redshirt senior has a real chance to land on Day 1 in the spring draft.

Jan 1 - 9:32 PM

The Sporting News' Eric Galko believes Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield will not fall below the 14th selection of the NFL Draft.

"Nearly every team in the top 14 will be interested," Galko writes, "led by the Broncos or Redskins (whichever doesn’t sign Kirk Cousins), Bills (in a trade-up), Jets and Browns." Galko passes along that NFL teams "firmly believe" that Mayfield is cut more from the mold of Russell Wilson and Drew Brees than Johnny Manziel. The 6-foot-1, 209-pounder won the Heisman Trophy in December after throwing for 4,340 yards with a 41/5 TD/INT ratio during the regular season and bowed out of the college throwing for 287 yards with a pair of touchdowns (plus a touchdown catch!) during Monday's double-overtime thriller of a Rose Bowl loss to Georgia.

Source: Sporting News 

Jan 2 - 4:09 PM

Is anyone else having a hard time liking the guy? He seems to be a bit of a DB. I generally dislike DBs.  

has a bit of Phillip Rivers type fire/bravado to him 

I like him - the kind of guy always doubted, always questioned .... CLE might be a great place for him, another impossible challenge to overcome

Mayfield has been told he can't do it since middle school. I rarely put much stock into willpower because it's mostly about talent, but Mayfield has an insatiable desire to prove people wrong.

No doubt he'll go in the 1st round, probably top-15. I wouldn't bet against Mayfield being a top NFL/FF QB if he lands in a decent situation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking he could be a Menzel level flop in the pros. And his personality and his showboating are going to get him killed on the next level. He's not going to have a bunch of college girls screaming for him. He's going to have a bunch of angry men wanting to rip his head off

Dude is a Grade A ########, but seeing as how my league rewards results over attitude, I'll be following his career very closely.

I really can't stand the Manziel comparisons. He may take the competitiveness a little overboard once in a while but I'd rather have that mentality leading the team and galvanizing the locker room than a dead fish like Eli, for instance.

Manziel was a silver spoon, spoiled #######. Mayfield may be a different breed of showman #######, but he scraped and clawed for every opportunity. 

He was a walk-on who worked his ### off to get where he is. He's improved his mechanics every year and gone from a stereotypical college playmaker who didn't seem to project well into an NFL offense to a legitimate  early round NFL QB prospect. 

He's not perfect, and I'd prefer Rosen and consider Lamar. But he's a gamer in the vein of Russ and Watson, not Manziel or Tebow imo. He's a legitimate NFL starting QB prospect. 

To me, it's understandable to not be into Mayfield's personality or his tape.  I don't agree, but I can see the criticisms and the flaws. But it's not fair to lump him in with Manziel because he's a bit of an irreverent, arrogant showboat. That comparison is lazy. And I don't say that in an insulting way, a lot of people are using that comparison. Its just bad. 

I would love to have a guy like Mayfield leading a locker room. I did not feel that way about Manziel. Most locker room cultures could use a personality like Mayfield to energize it imo. Somebody to rally behind, with the type of personality that demands winning and holds teammates accountable. Someone with fire, who gives a ####. 

Senior Bowl executive director Phil Savage told Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples that the coaching staff of the Denver Broncos requested that Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield be placed on their team for the Senior Bowl.

The Broncos are one squad in desperate need of a quarterback fix. At the very least, they would appear to be intrigued by reigning Heisman winner Mayfield. The Senior Bowl will be played on Jan. 27, with practices beginning on Jan. 23. The Sporting News' Eric Galko is of the belief that the Sooners gunslinger will be drafted within the first 14 picks this spring. He earlier forwarded the Broncos as a team to watch so long as they do not sign Kirk Cousins to fill the void.

Source: Andy Staples on Twitter 

Jan 12 - 2:42 PM

The Broncos are one squad in desperate need of a quarterback fix. At the very least, they would appear to be intrigued by reigning Heisman winner Mayfield.

Chad Kelly and Mayfield competing for the same spot?  That just might be worth the price of admission all on its own.

I really can't stand the Manziel comparisons. He may take the competitiveness a little overboard once in a while but I'd rather have that mentality leading the team and galvanizing the locker room than a dead fish like Eli, for instance.
It's a lazy comparison based mainly on height. Manziel isn't tough like this guy. He also is not interested in learning the game. I believe Mayfield is, simply based on how he got to where he is. manziel simply wanted to party. This guy wants to win. That's not saying he flops. He might but he's not Manziel. Height can be an issue on some passes. I think you have to game plan around that. Brees has no issues so it's not a problem to design plays that work. If he can hit people in stride and on the deep ball, he should be fine.

Oklahoma redshirt senior QB Baker Mayfield had the highest rating of any quarterback when given a clean pocket, according to Pro Football Focus.

It's easy to think of Mayfield as a quarterback who moves around and makes plays rolling out, because he's great at that. He's also very good when he's clean in the pocket, as evidenced by his 143.8 rating in those instances. Simply put, Mayfield can beat you in many ways, and that's why he has a chance to be one of -- if not the -- first quarterbacks off the board come spring.

Source: Pro Football Focus on Twitter

I'm thinking he could be a Menzel level flop in the pros. And his personality and his showboating are going to get him killed on the next level. He's not going to have a bunch of college girls screaming for him. He's going to have a bunch of angry men wanting to rip his head off
Why are you still allowed to post here? 

:lmao:

Mayfield is a total ########, but I think he'll be a good pro.  He poise, arm and leadership is going to carry him in the NFL for a long time.
If he is a student of the game at this level. Like Wentz is.  That's why he is so good already. 

petekrum said:
And you wonder why ESPN canned Kanell.

It’s absolutely a valid opinion.  It may not prove out in actual game play at the NFL level, but if one professes to have some level of expertise and has actually watched this year’s QB crop play, that expert would have to acknowledge that this is a very real possibility.

You seem like a pretty knowlegable guy.  I’m trying to figure how that squares with your absolutist attitude.

It’s absolutely a valid opinion.  It may not prove out in actual game play at the NFL level, but if one professes to have some level of expertise and has actually watched this year’s QB crop play, that expert would have to acknowledge that this is a very real possibility.

You seem like a pretty knowlegable guy.  I’m trying to figure how that squares with your absolutist attitude.
It was pretty much a tongue in cheek comment. He didn’t get fired because of that opinion. I just am adamantly of the opinion that Mayfield at BEST ends up being a middle of the bell curve QB in the NFL and at worst a total flop. 

Bro...ALL of your opinions are adamant.
I believe what I believe, and that’s BS by the way, I’ve dialed my opinions back considerably these past few months to try and not step on so many toes, but on some topics (Baker Mayfield) I remain adamant.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe what I believe, and that’s BS by the way, I’ve dialed my opinions back considerably these past few months to try and not step on so many toes, but on some topics (Baker Mayfield) I remain adamant.
I doubt you'll find much agreement on that. But you be you. 

Truly, it's not offensive. But it is aggressive.

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are open to using the No. 11 overall pick on a quarterback "if he is the best player on their board."

Reporter Adam Beasley dropped the nugget in a Thursday article about Oklahoma QB Baker Mayfield posting on social media "#GetMeToMiami." Mayfield was commenting on an Instagram video posted by Kenny Stills. Mayfield seems likely to be a first-round pick, but just where that might be is anybody's guess at this stage of the process.

Related: Dolphins

Source: Miami Herald 

Jan 18 - 6:39 PM

for Baker I think it really depends on landing spot. Denver or perhaps a team later in the draft like Pitt or the saints where he can sit and learn for two season might be beneficial.

If he is thrown to the dogs in NYJ or Cleveland....might be rough on the kid. 

This is true I can’t get Pete to hop on this train Lord knows I gave up trying! LMAO

TEX

Users who are viewing this thread