What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

Curious if the brash/cocky/moxie/whatever demeanor can actually translate into a top tier QB in the NFL?

Mike Greenberg pointed this out on Tuesday... it has not seemed to work for anyone else at the position.

List of brash/cocky/moxified/successful NFL QB's:

-1) Philip Rivers

-2) TBD
Is Greenberg under 30?  Hard to imagine a brash/moxie list of successful QBs that doesn’t have Brett Favre on it.  Or, for the oldtimers, Johnny U.

Is Greenberg under 30?  Hard to imagine a brash/moxie list of successful QBs that doesn’t have Brett Favre on it.  Or, for the oldtimers, Johnny U.
I guess it's that gray area between what makes confident come across as cocky. Favre always struck me as more of a goof ball or ball buster with his comments. Someone you could still root for. Plus he was a winner.

Baker hasn't done anything to give fans and fantasy footballers a reason to root for him yet, so he comes across as someone who needs to be knocked down a peg. He's got more commercials out there than TD passes (look, I'm doing it too).

Again, nothing a little time and success won't take care of.

I can honesty say that I have never seen Johnny U utter a single word. The clips they show of him seem like they're from the silent film era. A good friend of mine that traveled with Johnny U once in a while (post football, company promo, talking appearances) says he was a real life of the party kind of guy.

Philip Rivers... yup, there's a guy you don't mind seeing get picked off (and ticked off) once in a while.

Last edited by a moderator:
See, from my point of view, Rivers would be newr the bottom of the “brash, cocky QBs” list.  It’s a surprise to me people see him that way.

See, from my point of view, Rivers would be newr the bottom of the “brash, cocky QBs” list.  It’s a surprise to me people see him that way.
It's cause Rivers is notorious for being fired-up and talking smack (without cursing). But he does, and often. 

Curious if the brash/cocky/moxie/whatever demeanor can actually translate into a top tier QB in the NFL?

Mike Greenberg pointed this out on Tuesday... it has not seemed to work for anyone else at the position.

List of brash/cocky/moxified/successful NFL QB's:

-1) Philip Rivers

-2) TBD
Brett Favre

Terry Bradshaw

Drew Bledsoe

Dan Marino

All of them had tons of moxie. 

From Yahoo! dated Oct. 14th, 2019

Baker Mayfield’s issues remind us of an old truth

Evaluating quarterbacks is the most difficult thing to do in the sport of football. With all the whiffs in the league, it’s certainly true for those on the inside. And if that’s the case, those of us on the outside are, without question, fighting an uphill battle.

Anyone brazenly optimistic about Baker Mayfield coming off an introduction campaign where he set the rookie passing touchdown record was well within their rights, especially when you consider his skill-position group received a major shot in the arm in the form of the trade for the legendarily productive Odell Beckham. Nothing from Mayfield’s rookie season would have set off alarm bells about an impending disaster.

Yet, so far, Mayfield’s sophomore campaign has been a disaster. He’s tossed just five touchdowns to a whopping 11 interceptions. Bad habits continue to emerge when he’s under pressure, which is all too often. It’s to the point that teams are scheming around his propensity to float right and create a more difficult throw for himself on the move.

Mayfield is far from the only issue with the Browns but he’s been a net negative through six games. That’s the reality but it’s not one that anyone could have seen coming based on what we saw from him in Year 1. That brings us back to the original premise.

On a day where Marcus Mariota was benched, Jameis Winston threw up all over his shoes and Jared Goff managed a measly 3.2 QBR, it’s fitting we get this reminder from Baker Mayfield. The story of each of those passers has landed at all different spots. Each has been crowned at one point or another. Goff, in particular, has been at all levels of the mountain. During his rookie year with Jeff Fisher, he looked like total dust under disastrous conditions. In the first two years of the Sean McVay era, he produced like one of the best in the game. Here in 2019, with deteriorating conditions on the line and with the running game, Goff is looking like dust again.

You never see quarterbacks go from Deshone Kizer levels of bad, for example, to becoming a competent starting quarterback. If you can’t play, you can’t play. Barring health issues, we rarely see the best in the game go through extended slumps that last multiple months. For everyone in between, we can see them swing wildly between a problem and a clear asset before we truly know who they are. Mayfield is in the middle of that journey right now. We just don’t know where that story will end but you can compile plenty of evidence that he and a player like Odell Beckham will just figure it out eventually when you consider who Mayfield was as a rookie.

Colin Cowherd actually had a reasonable point yesterday. He pointed out that he was not sold on QB's like Manziel, Winston, and Mayfield not because of their physical talent, but because they had a history of poor judgement in off the field incidents. This poor judgement has carried over to their decision making process on the field when they are under pressure. He is not wrong. In Baker's case, his "I am going to show everybody at all cost just how good I am" attitude sets him up to try to do everything himself and therefore he tries to make throws that just aren't smart. It will be interesting to see if he can learn to take what the defense gives him rather than forcing it.

Colin Cowherd actually had a reasonable point yesterday. He pointed out that he was not sold on QB's like Manziel, Winston, and Mayfield not because of their physical talent, but because they had a history of poor judgement in off the field incidents. This poor judgement has carried over to their decision making process on the field when they are under pressure. He is not wrong. In Baker's case, his "I am going to show everybody at all cost just how good I am" attitude sets him up to try to do everything himself and therefore he tries to make throws that just aren't smart. It will be interesting to see if he can learn to take what the defense gives him rather than forcing it.
In this theory, I guess Cam is the exception? 

Slapdash said:
dhockster said:
Roethlisberger and Favre too.

So, is this a bad time to remind folks Johnny Manziel was statistically better in his second year at Cleveland than Baker Mayfield?

Keep in mind, Manziel's best receiver most of that year was TRAVIS #######G BENJAMIN and his head coach was Mike Pettine.
Thank you for this. Not because I think there’s an argument to be made that Manziel is better than Mayfield, (I mean, Manziel was a mess due to the partying), but because I love using this stuff to harass my friend who is a Browns fan.

This weekend I saw yet another Mayfield commercial I had not seen previously.  Did this guy do anything in the off season other than shoot commercials?

This weekend I saw yet another Mayfield commercial I had not seen previously.  Did this guy do anything in the off season other than shoot commercials?
I think it's unfair to criticize players for commercial appearances, since it's common to film multiple commercials in a single day.

I think it's unfair to criticize players for commercial appearances, since it's common to film multiple commercials in a single day.
Good thing he shot them before the season started because if he had waited and said he was ready to film, they would have said.....'and who are you again?'.

True...he shot like 16-20 short spots with Progressive.  8 of which were for sure going to be released, not sure how many have to date.  I'm thinking they will table the other one's for the time being, but who knows, its just marketing for them.  I also think I heard they shot them all in one day. 

They brought Baker in to headquarters for 2 sessions with employees where they had him doing impromptu type things.  The CEO and other bigwigs kept mentioning Super Bowl ("Baker, lift up the Lombardi trophy like you just won the SB" type crap) throughout the session and I honestly felt bad for Baker.  You could tell he was getting annoyed by the end.  

The crap was out of control in Cleveland and nationally leading up to the season.  

Is Cam an exception? There are definitely times when he tries to do too much himself and the team suffers for it. I don't think it's necessarily a coincidence that a less talented QB is having success by working within the framework of the Carolina offense. The sample size is too small to be conclusive, but it is interesting that Carolina has been doing well without Cam in there.

Is Cam an exception? There are definitely times when he tries to do too much himself and the team suffers for it. I don't think it's necessarily a coincidence that a less talented QB is having success by working within the framework of the Carolina offense. The sample size is too small to be conclusive, but it is interesting that Carolina has been doing well without Cam in there.
Rock solid genius of an offensive coordinator. No stupid tricky garbage, just plays that work. Norv is HOF material, just don't let him be your head coach.

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Baker Mayfield (hip) is "good to go" after resting over the bye week.

"I thought he looked good today," Kitchens added. Mayfield returned to practice following the team's bye week and should be fully cleared for Sunday. Unfortunately, that's when the Browns are slated to face the Patriots. He'll be a middling QB2 even at full strength in that one.

SOURCE: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Oct 21, 2019, 1:15 PM ET

Mayfield is looking like a bust this season, and his attitude sucks.  Sure, the reporter asked a stupid question yesterday, but they ask stupid ones all the time. As the QB and the face of the franchise, you need to be more mature and more professional than that. 

Mayfield is looking like a bust this season, and his attitude sucks.  Sure, the reporter asked a stupid question yesterday, but they ask stupid ones all the time. As the QB and the face of the franchise, you need to be more mature and more professional than that. 
Fully agree. “Baker bein’ Baker” is only going to work if your team is a perennial play-off team (aka “contender”). Nobody wants to listen to a loudmouth QB from a 4-5 win team (current pace).

Only thing I disagree on the above is the stupid question part. We all know that there are no stupid questions. Baker in this case is the expert on the subject. The subject is football and the reporter asked a specific football question. The fans/readers are just that… not an expert on the subject of football. Even if the reporter was an expert on football, it is not his place to be that. His job is to ask Baker to explain the subtleties of specific game situations. The reporter is simply the vessel here.

Things like this actually make me wonder if these overreactions to simple questions are the same things that fire off in his brain when in the pocket? Which causes things like flipping a ball directly into a defenders face/hands at his own 20-yd line (as one example).

Fully agree. “Baker bein’ Baker” is only going to work if your team is a perennial play-off team (aka “contender”). Nobody wants to listen to a loudmouth QB from a 4-5 win team (current pace).

Only thing I disagree on the above is the stupid question part. We all know that there are no stupid questions. Baker in this case is the expert on the subject. The subject is football and the reporter asked a specific football question. The fans/readers are just that… not an expert on the subject of football. Even if the reporter was an expert on football, it is not his place to be that. His job is to ask Baker to explain the subtleties of specific game situations. The reporter is simply the vessel here.

Things like this actually make me wonder if these overreactions to simple questions are the same things that fire off in his brain when in the pocket? Which causes things like flipping a ball directly into a defenders face/hands at his own 20-yd line (as one example).
Well said. 

Only thing I disagree on the above is the stupid question part
Curious, but did you watch/listen to Baker's PC where the "stupid question" was asked?  It was a stupid question that was part of a stupid discussion.  The "reporter" in question consistently interrupted Baker as he tried to answer his question.  This isn't the first type of interaction with this "reporter", who is someone that has been attacking and baiting Baker since before he was drafted. This "reporter" is not well liked and known for trying to create controversies where none exist, just to promote his podcast and news stories.  This "reporter" made many accusations smearing Baker in the media that were proven false over and over again.  This "reporter" made outlandish claims of retirement based on his "inside knowledge" that Cleveland would never draft Baker.  This "reporter" has consistently attacked Baker at every turn.  Baker's poor play this year has just opened the door for this "reporter" to keep sticking his face out there to generate clicks.  A frustrated Baker finally went for the stinky bait this "reporter" was dangling in front of him.

Should Baker have reacted the way he did, no - but I understand why he did.  He's frustrated with his own play.  He's trying to be cordial and do the right thing, yet is constantly interrupted or contradicted.  Then he's asked if he's happy he could find the end zone on a stalled drive that contained a comedy of errors and penalties.  I can see it...Baker's temper flared and he was done talking. Should Baker have handled it better? Certainly.  Did he lash out like a wild man hyped up on crystal meth looking for anything to get his next fix and shoving everyone over for the shiny nickel on the floor while manically laughing and drooling?  Nope.  Yet, if you listen to the national media, that's the type of picture they're painting.

The other part to the story that no one has mentioned is that if you watch the entire presser with Baker, he stands there and answers questions for numerous other reporters for the majority of his allotted time.  This interaction was the last question of his mandated PC.  It's a non-story, yet those seem to get the biggest response from people any more.

It's been the better part of 3 decades and Bellichik still (correctly) grinds his axe over Grossi. Anyone reading anything into this is either making an assumption based on insufficient info or are just looking for reasons to criticize Baker because you already didn't like him.

“Yeah, Tony, I was pretty happy with that drive.  Sure, we didn’t get any points, but any time you’re on the field and competing, out there with your guys... you just gotta find happiness in that moment.”  - Baker Mayfield 

Curious, but did you watch/listen to Baker's PC where the "stupid question" was asked?  It was a stupid question that was part of a stupid discussion.  The "reporter" in question consistently interrupted Baker as he tried to answer his question.  This isn't the first type of interaction with this "reporter", who is someone that has been attacking and baiting Baker since before he was drafted. This "reporter" is not well liked and known for trying to create controversies where none exist, just to promote his podcast and news stories.  This "reporter" made many accusations smearing Baker in the media that were proven false over and over again.  This "reporter" made outlandish claims of retirement based on his "inside knowledge" that Cleveland would never draft Baker.  This "reporter" has consistently attacked Baker at every turn.  Baker's poor play this year has just opened the door for this "reporter" to keep sticking his face out there to generate clicks.  A frustrated Baker finally went for the stinky bait this "reporter" was dangling in front of him.

Should Baker have reacted the way he did, no - but I understand why he did.  He's frustrated with his own play.  He's trying to be cordial and do the right thing, yet is constantly interrupted or contradicted.  Then he's asked if he's happy he could find the end zone on a stalled drive that contained a comedy of errors and penalties.  I can see it...Baker's temper flared and he was done talking. Should Baker have handled it better? Certainly.  Did he lash out like a wild man hyped up on crystal meth looking for anything to get his next fix and shoving everyone over for the shiny nickel on the floor while manically laughing and drooling?  Nope.  Yet, if you listen to the national media, that's the type of picture they're painting.

The other part to the story that no one has mentioned is that if you watch the entire presser with Baker, he stands there and answers questions for numerous other reporters for the majority of his allotted time.  This interaction was the last question of his mandated PC.  It's a non-story, yet those seem to get the biggest response from people any more.
:goodposting: Just started typing something up to cover this but @Peak nailed it. Yes it was wrong, yes he should have handled it differently but if you don't know the context of the relationship between Mayfield and Tony Grossi (the reporter) it's difficult to appreciate that Mayfield didn't just clock the ####er at this point. Grossi was kind enough to make the article he wrote right after the dust up free since most all of his content requires a subscription now.

https://thelandondemand.com/news/2019/oct/31/backstory-why-baker-mayfields-podium-walk-not-good/

bottom line is they need to start winning and all this goes away.  

of course all the amateur psychoanalysts are going to be bored, but they’ll find something else to do.  
Agreed, winning cures all.

Speculation is whether he can maintain his King of the ###holes shtick and be a winning QB in the NFL. So far he seems to put a lot of effort into one of these... jury still out on the other.

Agreed, winning cures all.

Speculation is whether he can maintain his King of the ###holes shtick and be a winning QB in the NFL. So far he seems to put a lot of effort into one of these... jury still out on the other.
i think he puts a lot of hard work into football.  that’s why i find the Manziel comparisons so lazy.  

as for rubbing some people the wrong way, i think that comes naturally to him, not much effort needed at all.  

i think he puts a lot of hard work into football.  that’s why i find the Manziel comparisons so lazy.  

as for rubbing some people the wrong way, i think that comes naturally to him, not much effort needed at all.  
Dude, he's fat. I saw his gut through his mid-rise uniform. Looks to me like a lot of work is needed on the pro football front (of his body)

Dude, he's fat. I saw his gut through his mid-rise uniform. Looks to me like a lot of work is needed on the pro football front (of his body)
you obviously pay much more attention to his body than I do.  

i remember when people used to call Roethlisburger fat. 

:shrug:

you obviously pay much more attention to his body than I do.  

i remember when people used to call Roethlisburger fat. 

:shrug:
No, I don't. It's obvious he's fat.

He's not Roethlisberger. At all. At any phase of development.

Right now, he stinks. It's apparent to everyone but the biggest homer. 

No, I don't. It's obvious he's fat.

He's not Roethlisberger. At all. At any phase of development.

Right now, he stinks. It's apparent to everyone but the biggest homer. 
not sure anyone has argued that his numbers aren’t  terrible this year. 

but your explanation is that he’s eaten too many Twinkies?

wow.  

What in the world is going on with this guy!? Why in the world is he shaving between arriving at the stadium and warmups and then again between the end of the game and the press conference? 

Link

What in the world is going on with this guy!? Why in the world is he shaving between arriving at the stadium and warmups and then again between the end of the game and the press conference? 

Link
Might be the first time this year he had more shaves than interceptions on game day. 

Baker Mayfield completed 27-of-42 passes for 274 yards and one score, adding three scrambles for 22 yards in Cleveland's shocking Week 9 loss to Brandon Allen and the Broncos.

Trailing 24-19 on fourth-and-4 with 3:23 remaining in the fourth quarter, Baker Mayfield missed Odell Beckham (5/87) beating Chris Harris' press coverage along the sideline, instead opting to rifle it to Jarvis Landry (who dropped the ball) in blanket coverage underneath. Mayfield also fell shy of a fourth-and-short sneak that coach Freddie Kitchens took Nick Chubb (20/65) off the field for mid-third quarter. Those two plays summarize Cleveland's inexcusable day on offense as the Browns fell to a disappointing 2-6 on the year with another tough task against the 6-2 Buffalo Bills waiting around the corner in Week 10. Mayfield will check in as a middling QB2 in that matchup.

Nov 3, 2019, 7:41 PM ET

This guy has fallen hard this year. Had so much promise coming into the season and now looks like a guy they’ll be forced to stick with for too long.

This guy has fallen hard this year. Had so much promise coming into the season and now looks like a guy they’ll be forced to stick with for too long.
I don’t know.  He digressed but is young so lots of time to learn.  I am just not so sure the Browns coaching staff is up to the task and may be doing more harm than good 

Users who are viewing this thread