What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Baker Mayfield, TB (1 Viewer)

you are obsessed with this guys weight. 

it’s kinda weird.  
Because pro athletes should realize that they can't carry around beer stomachs and be in top physical condition at the same time, which is part and parcel to what they're getting paid for, maybe? 

I don't know. Seems like a valid criticism. Whether he's obsessed or not is one thing. 

If Baker Mayfield is "fat," then 90% of the defensive and offensive linemen in the league are morbidly obese. If you think Baker has a "beer stomach," you must be mortified by the rolls of jiggling flesh on so many linemen, and the obvious excess fat on a good number of linebackers and tight ends. Troy Polamolu looked a whole lot "fatter" than Mayfield when he was playing safety. 

As for fat QBs, how offended are you by Dwayne Haskins? Baker Mayfield is a sculpted model compared to him. And here's a link to some pics of Jameis Winston without his shirt. Jameis Winston Without Shirt Search  If Mayfield is "fat," what is Winston? 

Mayfield is not "fat" in any sense of the word. He bulked up too much in the off season for whatever reason, and it appears to have impacted his athleticism. Mayfield can fairly be called arrogant and oversensitive, and has certainly not produced up to expectations. But if you're looking to call some football player "fat," there are far, far better candidates. 

If Baker Mayfield is "fat," then 90% of the defensive and offensive linemen in the league are morbidly obese. If you think Baker has a "beer stomach," you must be mortified by the rolls of jiggling flesh on so many linemen, and the obvious excess fat on a good number of linebackers and tight ends. Troy Polamolu looked a whole lot "fatter" than Mayfield when he was playing safety. 

As for fat QBs, how offended are you by Dwayne Haskins? Baker Mayfield is a sculpted model compared to him. And here's a link to some pics of Jameis Winston without his shirt. Jameis Winston Without Shirt Search  If Mayfield is "fat," what is Winston? 

Mayfield is not "fat" in any sense of the word. He bulked up too much in the off season for whatever reason, and it appears to have impacted his athleticism. Mayfield can fairly be called arrogant and oversensitive, and has certainly not produced up to expectations. But if you're looking to call some football player "fat," there are far, far better candidates. 
No. I saw him wearing a midriff-bearing shirt earlier and he was fat. I agree with the other poster. 

Lineman and linebackers can retain extra muscle mass because it is a requirement of their position (size). That's the difference. There are no fat quarterbacks save for Baker playing in the NFL. 

No. I saw him wearing a midriff-bearing shirt earlier and he was fat. I agree with the other poster. 

Lineman and linebackers can retain extra muscle mass because it is a requirement of their position (size). That's the difference. There are no fat quarterbacks save for Baker playing in the NFL. 
Okay, you guys insist on this nonsense. I brought up just a few other examples of players being far more obviously overweight, and it was ignored. Here's some pics of "fat" Baker Mayfield without his shirt: Mayfield   And here's some of Jameis Winston, whom I've never heard referred to as fat:  Winston  

Just say it- Jameis Winston is way fatter than Baker Mayfield could ever hope to be. Just say it- the majority of linemen in the NFL are not merely fat, but obese. Why are you concentrating on a player who is in comparatively fantastic shape? 

Just say it- Jameis Winston is way fatter than Baker Mayfield could ever hope to be. Just say it- the majority of linemen in the NFL are not merely fat, but obese. Why are you concentrating on a player who is in comparatively fantastic shape?
Because they don't hate those players and therefore don't have the same agenda.

he’s gone through his sophomore slump and seems to be back on the upswing. 
What has really impressed me the last 2 games is his pocket mobility. He was taking sacks, and forcing throws earlier in the year, but he was eluding defenders left and right to make safer throws the last 2 weeks against very good pass defenses. I wonder if having Kareem Hunt has made a much bigger difference than expected. Chubb doesn't offer anywhere near the same receiving ability, and Mayfield may have been missing that outlet/checkdown that Duke Johnson was in 2018, leading to some poor decisions earlier this year.

Baker Mayfield completed 24-of-34 passes for 327 yards with three touchdowns and an interception in the Browns' Week 12 win over Miami.

Mayfield came out hot, throwing touchdowns on three of the Browns' first four drives. Two of his TDs went to Jarvis Landry, with his other one going to Odell Beckham. Mayfield didn't do much with the Browns protecting their lead in the second half and had another interception called back on a penalty, but this was one of his best games. Mayfield has been trending up the last three weeks with a 7:1 TD/INT ratio. He'll be in the streaming conversation for a Steelers rematch in Week 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baker Mayfield completed 18-of-32 passes for 196 yards, one touchdown, and one pick in Cleveland's Week 13 loss to the Steelers.

Whether "Pittsburgh Started It" or not, their offense certainly finished it with 20 unanswered points after the Browns jumped out to a 10-0 lead behind Kareem Hunt's 15-yard touchdown reception to open the second quarter. Mayfield began the game 10-of-12 from under center but, following a big hit by Bud Dupree and potential sprained/broken finger off the latter's helmet during Baker's follow-through motion to end the second half, finished the game 8-of-20 — game-ending interception behind Jarvis Landry (and into Joe Haden's lap) included. Mayfield also fumbled shortly after returning to the field with a glove on his throwing hand. Now essentially out of the AFC playoff picture behind the 7-5 Steelers, the Browns' disappointing 2019 campaign rolls on in a meaningless bout against the Bengals in Week 14.

3rd & 7, lets run all our receivers on 20+ yard routes and see if Mayfield is still standing when we get there. oops, he's not. Lets not run anyone to the 1st down marker.

Kitchens & Monken.

3rd & 7, lets run all our receivers on 20+ yard routes and see if Mayfield is still standing when we get there. oops, he's not. Lets not run anyone to the 1st down marker.

Kitchens & Monken.
It was almost like they had no clue what they did a few weeks ago on offense that won them the game....  like they have early on-set alzheimers!! They lost focus on what works and what the team was built around.   Round 1 (Week 11) they had 35 rush attempts for a little over 110 yards and controlled the LOS... Round 2 (Week 13) they run it 23 times for 102 yards.  So if we won with a heavy dose of running the ball, why do it again?  

It was almost like they had no clue what they did a few weeks ago on offense that won them the game....  like they have early on-set alzheimers!! They lost focus on what works and what the team was built around.   Round 1 (Week 11) they had 35 rush attempts for a little over 110 yards and controlled the LOS... Round 2 (Week 13) they run it 23 times for 102 yards.  So if we won with a heavy dose of running the ball, why do it again?  
Yesterday's game plan wasn't all that different than week 11's successful one. The difference in those two games was the performance of the defense once out to the lead.

Yesterday's game plan wasn't all that different than week 11's successful one. The difference in those two games was the performance of the defense once out to the lead.
You mean the 4 sacks & 4 Int's given up by Pitt OL in Week 11 compared to only 1 in Week 13?  You don't think Myles Garrett was a big part of that distinction?  Was Greedy still hampered by hamstring issues cause he let some plays happen that in the past he was all over and shut it down... 

You mean the 4 sacks & 4 Int's given up by Pitt OL in Week 11 compared to only 1 in Week 13?  You don't think Myles Garrett was a big part of that distinction?  Was Greedy still hampered by hamstring issues cause he let some plays happen that in the past he was all over and shut it down... 
Of course Garrett's absence played a role, but Greedy's not played well all year. Pittsburgh's offense was stuck in neutral Sunday until the secondary went to sleep late in the second quarter. 

5 sacks on Mayfield but he was under pressure often - few QB's could have done anything more than he did with that pressure

coaches didn't call the plays that would alleviate that pressure and the results shows

I know that drops and deflected INTs has contributed some, but being 3rd in the league in INTs and 33rd in completion percentage is not a recipe for success.

His O-line hasn’t been great, but I think they are receiving more than their share of blame as well. IMO, Baker is struggling and panicking if his first read isn’t open. Yes, there are times that pressure is getting through early, but there are other times where he has a clean pocket but panics and runs into danger when his first read isn’t available. That “back and to the right” drift has been a real thing. This also make it tougher for the offensive line snap to snap because when the QB is bailing outside the pocket so often, the linemen don’t know which direction to be blocking the defenders, which compounds the problem by making the QB feel like he’s under duress more than he really should be.

Josh Allen has struggled with the same thing quite a bit. He realized it and has done a fairly good job correcting it lately, but who knows if pressure early in a game could cause him to fall back on bad habits. The Bills have also helped Allen by simplifying the offense a bit and helping make the defense more predictable in their looks. The Browns would be wise to do the same thing and help Mayfield take a bit off of his plate. Mayfield had a record setting rookie year and the Browns overreacted and put too much on him too soon.

I know that drops and deflected INTs has contributed some, but being 3rd in the league in INTs and 33rd in completion percentage is not a recipe for success.

His O-line hasn’t been great, but I think they are receiving more than their share of blame as well. IMO, Baker is struggling and panicking if his first read isn’t open. Yes, there are times that pressure is getting through early, but there are other times where he has a clean pocket but panics and runs into danger when his first read isn’t available. That “back and to the right” drift has been a real thing. This also make it tougher for the offensive line snap to snap because when the QB is bailing outside the pocket so often, the linemen don’t know which direction to be blocking the defenders, which compounds the problem by making the QB feel like he’s under duress more than he really should be.

Josh Allen has struggled with the same thing quite a bit. He realized it and has done a fairly good job correcting it lately, but who knows if pressure early in a game could cause him to fall back on bad habits. The Bills have also helped Allen by simplifying the offense a bit and helping make the defense more predictable in their looks. The Browns would be wise to do the same thing and help Mayfield take a bit off of his plate. Mayfield had a record setting rookie year and the Browns overreacted and put too much on him too soon.
The last ditch effort INT yesterday (Landry's fault fwiw) was the first one since week 8 on that bizarre shovel pass. He was awful up til that point of the season, but I'm no longer concerned about him going forward. He took ownership for his shortcomings early in the season and has made the necessary corrections. Those glaring issues are now gone and the panic you described hasn't been there since sometime in October.

I think he goes into this offseason with a chip on his shoulder and comes into next season where he is now.

The last ditch effort INT yesterday (Landry's fault fwiw) was the first one since week 8 on that bizarre shovel pass. He was awful up til that point of the season, but I'm no longer concerned about him going forward. He took ownership for his shortcomings early in the season and has made the necessary corrections. Those glaring issues are now gone and the panic you described hasn't been there since sometime in October.

I think he goes into this offseason with a chip on his shoulder and comes into next season where he is now.
How much of his supposed "failures" early in the season are due to their murderer's row schedule?  Look at the teams the Browns played the first half of the season.  To date, the Browns opponents are 87-56 (.608).  Hell, there was a 4-week stretch where they played the Ravens, 49ers, Seahawks, and Patriots.  Those are 4 of the 5 best teams in the NFL by record, as of today.

It doesn't really surprise me that he struggled through that part of the schedule, and it doesn't really surprise me that he's done better against his schedule as of late.  I'm not a Browns fan, so I don't know how much of this season's result so far is on Mayfield vs the rest of the coaching staff, but I think the expectations this season were unbelievably high.  I was in Cleveland in mid-August, and the talk on the sports radio (92.3 I think?) was that anything less than 13-3 was a disappointment, and 14-2 should be the expectation.  14-2, or 13-3 at worst, against a schedule that includes the Ravens and Steelers twice each, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks.  And that doesn't include the 49ers who no one knew was going to be as great as they are, or middle-of-the-road "any given Sunday" teams like the Titans or Bills.

There is a ton of skill position talent on this Cleveland roster, but I think the expectations for Mayfield and the Browns were impossibly high this season.

How much of his supposed "failures" early in the season are due to their murderer's row schedule?  Look at the teams the Browns played the first half of the season.  To date, the Browns opponents are 87-56 (.608).  Hell, there was a 4-week stretch where they played the Ravens, 49ers, Seahawks, and Patriots.  Those are 4 of the 5 best teams in the NFL by record, as of today.

It doesn't really surprise me that he struggled through that part of the schedule, and it doesn't really surprise me that he's done better against his schedule as of late.  I'm not a Browns fan, so I don't know how much of this season's result so far is on Mayfield vs the rest of the coaching staff, but I think the expectations this season were unbelievably high.  I was in Cleveland in mid-August, and the talk on the sports radio (92.3 I think?) was that anything less than 13-3 was a disappointment, and 14-2 should be the expectation.  14-2, or 13-3 at worst, against a schedule that includes the Ravens and Steelers twice each, Patriots, Rams, Seahawks.  And that doesn't include the 49ers who no one knew was going to be as great as they are, or middle-of-the-road "any given Sunday" teams like the Titans or Bills.

There is a ton of skill position talent on this Cleveland roster, but I think the expectations for Mayfield and the Browns were impossibly high this season.
Some, but I was happy to see him admit in the pregame interview before week 11 something many of us at least partially suspected - given the way last season ended and all the new toys he thought it was going to be easy. Sure, his detractors will twist that into a negative. I won't though. That sort of awareness is quite simply not in most early 20-something's. He realized he screwed up, owned up to it, and started putting in the work to fix it. It was too late for this season, but I don't see it repeating itself next season. I expect him to come out on fire.

While there were some in the media who had ridiculous expectations for this season I also think there were plenty of us that were much more level headed. I don't remember exactly what I wrote, but I believe it was something along the lines of -  be in a position week 16 for a win-and-in. This team failed to meet those expectations, but not by nearly as much as those that got caught up in the hype. I never thought this was anywhere close to a super bowl team and those that were tossing that out there in August were doomed for disappointment.

Browns coach Freddie Kitchens said Baker Mayfield (hand) "should be fine" for Week 14 against the Bengals.

Mayfield banged his hand on Bud Dupree's helmet prior to the half in Pittsburgh and returned from the locker room with a glove on. The former No. 1 overall pick passed on an MRI altogether, ensuring he'll practice and suit up for Week 14 against the Bengals. Browns LT Greg Robinson (concussion) remains in the league's protocol, perhaps limiting Mayfield's ceiling in an otherwise juicy spot for the fantasy playoffs.

SOURCE: Mark Kay Cabot on Twitter

Dec 2, 2019, 1:39 PM ET

Baker Mayfield (hand) fully expects to play Week 14 against the Bengals.

Mayfield hit his right hand on the face-mask of Steelers LB Bud Dupree, costing him two snaps in Sunday's defeat. He was diagnosed with a bruise after X-rays came back negative. Mayfield wore a protective glove after his return and arrived to his post-game presser with his hand heavily wrapped. The former No. 1 pick wasn't sure if he'd require an MRI, though Mayfield claims the injury had no effect on his performance versus Pittsburgh. It's been a down year for Mayfield, who ranks third to Jameis Winston (20) and Philip Rivers (15) in interceptions with 14.

SOURCE: Akron Beacon-Journal

Dec 2, 2019, 9:56 AM ET

Baker Mayfield (hand) is practicing in full for Week 14.

He's good to go for Sunday against the Bengals. Mayfield banged his hand against OLB Bud Dupree's helmet in the first half against the Steelers, missed a few snaps, but returned after going to the locker room. The Bengals have been better defensively of late, but this should be a spot Mayfield can take advantage of with his supporting cast.

SOURCE: Scott Petrak on Twitter

Dec 4, 2019, 11:09 AM ET

Baker Mayfield completed just 11-of-24 passes for 192 scoreless yards and two interceptions in the Browns' 27-19, Week 14 win over the Bengals.

He was able to "save" his day a bit with a seven-yard rushing touchdown, Mayfield's third rushing score of the year. It's been a sophomore season to forget for Mayfield. He has just three multi-score passing games with four multi-INT efforts. Mayfield is in a solid on-paper Week 15 spot against the lowly Cardinals, putting Mayfield on the streaming radar in an up-pace matchup.

Anyone rolling with Baker in this cupcake AZ matchup? They’ve given up big points to just about every QB this year

Anyone rolling with Baker in this cupcake AZ matchup? They’ve given up big points to just about every QB this year
True, but you'd have to be really short on options to roll with Mayfield in your fantasy playoff game, especially after his terrible game last week against the Bengals (who are worse than Arizona). 

I am rolling with Baker....  choices are Josh Allen at Pitt, Philip Rivers vs Minn or Fitzmagic vs NYG. 

I did not see D Parker was playing or I might have gone with Fitz....  

Playoffs are here.... no chance to take a bad score...  Cupcake Def is my hope! 

I am rolling with Baker....  choices are Josh Allen at Pitt, Philip Rivers vs Minn or Fitzmagic vs NYG. 

I had Matt Ryan at San Fran, or Josh Allen or Fitz on waivers , decided to roll with Mayfield.  

Birdie048 said:

Rolled with him over Rodgers, Allen and Ryan. Ceded a few points to Ryan but overall I’m glad I did. Seemed his floor was Rodgers ceiling which was correct

JetMaxx said:
Rolled with him over Rodgers, Allen and Ryan. Ceded a few points to Ryan but overall I’m glad I did. Seemed his floor was Rodgers ceiling which was correct
Fitzmagic scored better than Baker in my league, but the 5 pt difference did not matter to me.... moving on to the FINALS!  

Baker Mayfield completed 20-of-33 passes for 192 yards, two touchdowns and an interception in the Browns' 31-15, Week 16 loss to the Ravens.

Mayfield, as has been the case all season, struggled to consistently move the ball through the air. While he flashed his live arm and pin-point accuracy at times, it was largely another porous effort as a whole. Jarvis Landry (7-74-0) and Odell Beckham (4-44-1) were the only pass-game options that managed to get much of anything going. Mayfield has largely worked as a bottom-tier QB all season and will need to improve his pocket awareness to rebound in 2020. Of course, a better offensive line and healthier WRs would certainly help matters for everyone involved.

What a year for Baker. First time, last time. Though, I did see him eating in a different commercial recently. Apparently he likes his food spicy and voluminous. 

Coaching traits to seek; Tom Brady's fall; Baker's crucial year

Excerpt:

BAKER MAYFIELD'S PRESSURE TEST: Why 2020 could be a make-or-break year

Baker Mayfield, you're on the clock!

The No. 1 overall pick of the 2018 NFL Draft already waited his turn to hear his name called by the Cleveland Browns, but now he must prove to the organization that he is still the best choice to be the team's QB1 going into the next decade. After seeing his general manager and head coach ushered to the unemployment line, the young gunslinger should realize that he could be next to go if the Brownsdon't reverse their fortunes on the field.

I know it is uncommon for a team to move on from a so-called "franchise quarterback" so early in his tenure, but all bets are off when the team makes changes at the top of the organizational flow chart. The dismissals of Mayfield's biggest advocates in the building put No. 6 in a "prove it or lose it" scenario heading into 2020. John Dorsey and Freddie Kitchens were the quarterback's biggest backers, and their unwavering support enabled the young quarterback to act as the leader of the team, despite his inexperience. A strong endorsement from those two men empowered Mayfield to speak on team issues, previous coaches and future opponents without reproach. While a franchise quarterback is expected to serve as the unofficial spokesman for the team, I don't know if we've seen a young QB1 handle it in such a bold and bodacious manner. Mayfield's arrogant retorts and cocky behavior have certainly endeared him to his teammates and a faction of the Browns' fans, but some executives will only tolerate that kind of behavior if the production and performance stand out on the field.

Considering Mayfield's startling sophomore slump, the Browns' QB1 could find himself squarely in the crosshairs despite having authored an inspiring rookie season that provided the football world with a glimpse of his potential. The former Heisman Trophy winner's completion percentage (59.4, down from 63.8), touchdown-to-interception ratio (22:21, down from 27:14), yards per attempt (7.2, down from 7.7), passing yards per game (239.2, down from 266.1) and passer rating (78.8, down from 93.7) significantly declined from his rookie season.

What's most disturbing about Mayfield's regression is how he performed with an upgraded supporting cast that featured a bevy of explosive playmakers in prominent roles on the perimeter (Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry and Kareem Hunt). Add in the fact that second-year back Nick Chubbalso emerged as one of the top runners in football, and Mayfield seemingly had the kind of firepower that should've helped him to go from good to great in Year 2.

That's why all eyes will be on Mayfield when he steps into the huddle in the offseason program under the direction of a new head coach and general manager. Mayfield will need to show Cleveland's new leadership that he has cleaned up the sloppy footwork and scattershot pocket play that plagued his performance in 2019. Moreover, he will need to eliminate the turnover woes that substantially contributed to the team's underachievement.

While some of Mayfield's flaws can be attributed to playing in an ill-fitting offense that asked him to do too much and a leaky offensive line that kept him on the run, a No. 1 overall pick is expected to overcome those issues to keep his team in contention, particularly with a star-studded cast of weapons at his disposal. Say what you want about the lofty standard, but we've seen Jared Goff, Carson Wentz and even Mitchell Trubisky lead their respective teams to the playoffs in Year 2 despite issues with each of their rosters.

Considering Mayfield hasn't significantly raised the Browns' level of play since his arrival, the new leaders will closely scrutinize his performance to see if he is a "truck" (QB carries the team) or "trailer" (team carries the QB), according to the scouting parlance. Without an established supporter at coach or GM, No. 6 must prove his value as a franchise quarterback on the field, or the Browns could be in the hunt for a QB1 again in 2021.

Users who are viewing this thread