What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (1 Viewer)

His ADP over @ MFL is currently #42 overall. In a redraft, I'll be snaggin him with my 4th rounder if he's there.

Cam has made big strides over the last couple of years. His teammates talk about it, people that are around the team talk about it. People have to remember he really had a short college career. He is still a bit of a work in progress on the non-playing side. He has been pretty frank about having some things to clean up and he has been trying to do so. The towel thing doesn't bother me he has been doing that since high school. It's not staying engaged that was a problem. He really seemed to work that out by the end of last season. If the defense can be stouter early, and I think it will, this team will win more games and Cam will get some 4th quarter wins. Not his fault the defense did things like give up hail marys to lose games after all.

I see a lot of talk about the option in here. I listen to pretty much everything that comes out of camp. They are still going to run it but not as often. They are installing the wildcat as we speak as well. Newton has been begging for some catches and says he can run a slant. At his size he could probably be effective doing so. But it seems he will run less and he will not be the leading rusher is the message out of camp. They have been doing a lot of work on traditional running and it showed against Chicago.

Lastly the biggest issue here is the O-line this season IMO. Bell still looks rough and now they lost Campbell. If Gross goes down they are in big trouble. Be interesting to see if Gettleman will use some of that 14 million or so they have available to go get someone.

Rotoworld:

According to the Charlotte Observer, Cam Newton has spent the majority of training camp in the pocket.
Per beat writer Joseph Person, new OC Mike Shula is only "occasionally" breaking out the read option. It's similar to how the Panthers called plays down the stretch last season, where Newton was actually more productive as a runner. Whatever formations the Panthers are running Newton out of, he remains at the head of the dual-threat quarterback class from a fantasy standpoint.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Pretty funny to read some of the comments early in the thread. We'll see if some of those guys continue to participate here after those performances :lol: I suspect the play calling this year will similar to the second half of the season last season. Made it to a couple training camp days and he was in the pocket most of the time, scrambling when necessary and doing so very effectively. I am most concerned about the health of the O-Line and their consistency for the year.

Pretty funny to read some of the comments early in the thread. We'll see if some of those guys continue to participate here after those performances :lol: I suspect the play calling this year will similar to the second half of the season last season. Made it to a couple training camp days and he was in the pocket most of the time, scrambling when necessary and doing so very effectively. I am most concerned about the health of the O-Line and their consistency for the year.
If you really want a laugh - read the other two threads: "Newton is a baby", and "A totally accurate scouting report on Newton". This thread came after he turned things around.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you really want a laugh - read the other two threads: "Newton is a baby", and "A totally accurate scouting report on Newton".
I look forward to the bumps of each of those. I'm too lazy to find them myself.

i am still here. I won't believe in cam from the neck up until at least November. So, too late for this year. He can prove me wrong on someone else's team. I doubted his ability to handle adversity when he got to the league and to date nothing has changed that. Maybe I value real life football too much when it comes to fantas , but it is what I have always done and it's been successful.

i am still here. I won't believe in cam from the neck up until at least November. So, too late for this year. He can prove me wrong on someone else's team. I doubted his ability to handle adversity when he got to the league and to date nothing has changed that. Maybe I value real life football too much when it comes to fantas , but it is what I have always done and it's been successful.
what does maturity have to do with fantasy football? He has already proven you wrong dude. He has been a top 5 qb's for both of his years in the NFL. Including the #1 qb's from week 7 on last year. I have no clue why you wouldn't draft someone that has proven to be a lights out starter because of what you think of "his neck up"? But if that's your strategy then go for it.

i am still here. I won't believe in cam from the neck up until at least November. So, too late for this year. He can prove me wrong on someone else's team.I doubted his ability to handle adversity when he got to the league and to date nothing has changed that. Maybe I value real life football too much when it comes to fantas , but it is what I have always done and it's been successful.
what does maturity have to do with fantasy football? He has already proven you wrong dude.He has been a top 5 qb's for both of his years in the NFL. Including the #1 qb's from week 7 on last year. I have no clue why you wouldn't draft someone that has proven to be a lights out starter because of what you think of "his neck up"? But if that's your strategy then go for it.
Agreed. I'm not sure why a 'bad attitude', 'lack of maturity' or anything else would preclude someone from taking a guy that has been top 5 at his position for his whole career.

Cam's easy to dislike. But in FF, his rushing puts him right up there with Rodgers, Brees, etc.... Simple.

Pretty funny to read some of the comments early in the thread. We'll see if some of those guys continue to participate here after those performances
laughing.gif
I suspect the play calling this year will similar to the second half of the season last season. Made it to a couple training camp days and he was in the pocket most of the time, scrambling when necessary and doing so very effectively. I am most concerned about the health of the O-Line and their consistency for the year.
i am still here. I won't believe in cam from the neck up until at least November. So, too late for this year. He can prove me wrong on someone else's team.I doubted his ability to handle adversity when he got to the league and to date nothing has changed that. Maybe I value real life football too much when it comes to fantas , but it is what I have always done and it's been successful.
what does maturity have to do with fantasy football? He has already proven you wrong dude.He has been a top 5 qb's for both of his years in the NFL. Including the #1 qb's from week 7 on last year. I have no clue why you wouldn't draft someone that has proven to be a lights out starter because of what you think of "his neck up"? But if that's your strategy then go for it.
Because I believe I will get more out of using a 6th or 7th on Wilson, Luck, or RG3 than I would a 3rd on Cam. I trust them much more because I think they are better QB's, and my expected scoring output from them is comparable to Cam. Play with the avg pts/gm with different weeks as constraints and you'll see the trends. Use week 7 and you'll see Cam out in front. Wilson and RG3 are close though. Use week 10 and Wilson is actually ahead of Cam while RG3 is close behind. This also includes the weeks RG3 played hobbled, as well as missing a week.

I'm expecting a big jump in year 2 from Luck as most of his weapons were also rookies and the biggest jump players usually make are entering year 2. That year 2 item is also why I trend towards Wilson and RG3 too, their weapons won't be impacted as Luck's will but I expect them to improve nonetheless. I'll be spending my 3's and 4's on WR before the top tier players fall off the board, ideally pairing them with one of those QB's. I think that will do me better than pairing Cam with a player at another position in rounds 6 or 7.

That's really not what you were arguing before. You are moving the goalposts.
The basis of all of my arguments involving Cam is my comfort level with him from the neck up. Until I trust him I will not consider picking him before other QB's I project to produce similar stats, especially if they're cheaper.

I think trust is something most fantasy owners need to factor into their valuations pre draft, and don't. Then they get burned in-season. See it all the time, Antonio Gates immediately comes to mind. For years he was great, but often it was a mystery whether he would play week to week or not until after 1 o clock games started. I knew that going in, planned accordingly, and didn't pitch a fit when I got burned by Gates. We've all seen the threads pop up in the pool cursing Gates though, then they start benching him missing his great games or trading low just so they didn't have to deal with him anymore - those owners were not prepared. They figured out they didn't trust him too late.

I am fine with rostering players like Gates of yesteryear. Injury hazard, absolutely, but when he played he was great. These are types of players I like to target. Players I trust when they are in my lineup and don't second guess starting them...when they're healthy. I just have a plan B in place if they are a late inactive and deal with it if he happened to be on Sunday or Monday night that week and there was no plan B outside of his backup. I have issues with players I don't trust week to week even when they are healthy. I don't know if they will have a great game or lousy game, all I know is I need to start them because of what the numbers tell me. Chris Johnson's probably the closest parallel. I loathed owning him in a dyno I surprisingly couldn't sell him in and eventually sold low early last year because I couldn't stand it anymore. Those are the types of players that drain my team - studs that inexplicably lay an egg, so you're reliant on the rest of your team to exceed expectations that week a/o your competition to suck. I look at the Bucs, Giants, Seahawks, and Bears games last year from Cam and I see a QB I do not trust. I found people asking me if they should start for the Redskins, Broncos, etc. and I continually found myself saying - not if you have a more reliable option.

There's no denying Cam finished 2012 hot, also no denying he started off 2011 hot. Players go through hot stretches all the time. The cold spells, the events that surrounded them, and his history are what keeps me hesitant. Every player represents value at some point. I don't think Cam's is where is being picked right now. I believe I even wrote at some point last season I thought I may roster him this year because of his perception midseason, his value was caving to the point he might be value. Then the last 2 months happened and that idea went to ####.

That's really not what you were arguing before. You are moving the goalposts.
The basis of all of my arguments involving Cam is my comfort level with him from the neck up. Until I trust him I will not consider picking him before other QB's I project to produce similar stats, especially if they're cheaper.

I think trust is something most fantasy owners need to factor into their valuations pre draft, and don't. Then they get burned in-season. See it all the time, Antonio Gates immediately comes to mind. For years he was great, but often it was a mystery whether he would play week to week or not until after 1 o clock games started. I knew that going in, planned accordingly, and didn't pitch a fit when I got burned by Gates. We've all seen the threads pop up in the pool cursing Gates though, then they start benching him missing his great games or trading low just so they didn't have to deal with him anymore - those owners were not prepared. They figured out they didn't trust him too late.

I am fine with rostering players like Gates of yesteryear. Injury hazard, absolutely, but when he played he was great. These are types of players I like to target. Players I trust when they are in my lineup and don't second guess starting them...when they're healthy. I just have a plan B in place if they are a late inactive and deal with it if he happened to be on Sunday or Monday night that week and there was no plan B outside of his backup. I have issues with players I don't trust week to week even when they are healthy. I don't know if they will have a great game or lousy game, all I know is I need to start them because of what the numbers tell me. Chris Johnson's probably the closest parallel. I loathed owning him in a dyno I surprisingly couldn't sell him in and eventually sold low early last year because I couldn't stand it anymore. Those are the types of players that drain my team - studs that inexplicably lay an egg, so you're reliant on the rest of your team to exceed expectations that week a/o your competition to suck. I look at the Bucs, Giants, Seahawks, and Bears games last year from Cam and I see a QB I do not trust. I found people asking me if they should start for the Redskins, Broncos, etc. and I continually found myself saying - not if you have a more reliable option.

There's no denying Cam finished 2012 hot, also no denying he started off 2011 hot. Players go through hot stretches all the time. The cold spells, the events that surrounded them, and his history are what keeps me hesitant. Every player represents value at some point. I don't think Cam's is where is being picked right now. I believe I even wrote at some point last season I thought I may roster him this year because of his perception midseason, his value was caving to the point he might be value. Then the last 2 months happened and that idea went to ####.
Yeah I mean all this headcase is done is:

This Sunday, Cam Newton will finish his second NFL season. As the final whistle blows in the Panthers' final 2012 contest against New Orleans, Newton will have finished the greatest first two seasons we've ever seen out of an NFL quarterback. And at least in the realm of the regular season, it isn't particularly close.

Newton enters Sunday with the following career statistics: 574-for-969 passing (59.2 percent), 7,672 yards, 40 touchdowns, 28 interceptions; 246 rushes for 1413 yards (5.7 per carry) and 22 more touchdowns. Newton's 8,584 net yards -- including 70 sacks taken for 501 lost yards -- the Panthers star has an exactly 800 yard lead on Peyton Manning's old 7,784 net yardage mark, the previous best for any quarterback in his first two seasons. Newton still has one game left.

Newton's 7.9 yards per attempt ranks fourth (Ben Roethlisberger, Dan Marino, Mark Rypien). His 62 total touchdowns ranks second (Marino). Newton's only major category away from the top: a 2.8 percent intereception rate, still 16th of the 78 quarterbacks since 1933 to start at least 20 games in their first two seasons. Only Andy Dalton attempted more passes than Newton of those above him on the list.

Looking deeper, Newton has compiled 244.2 EPA and 5.04 WPA. In the Advanced NFL Stats era -- dating back to 2000 -- only Aaron Rodgers has more EPA in his first two years as a full-time starter (at least 10 games started). Given the poor quality of the Saints defense this season, chances are Newton will pass Rodgers by Sunday's finish -- Rodgers mustered 246.2 EPA in 2008 and 2009, meaning a +2.0 EPA performance from Newton gets it done. He's hit that mark 11 of 15 times this season.

Newton's 5.04 WPA ranks fifth, behind Rodgers, Matt Ryan, Tony Romo and Daunte Culpepper. A plus-0.61 WPA or better performance Sunday would pass Ryan and leave Newton in second; a plus-0.19 WPA or better performance would pass Romo and leave Newton in third. Although he's managed over 0.61 WPA just once this season, he's hit at least 0.19 nine times.

There are the facts. Newton's statistical accomplishments through the first two seasons of his career will be the most prolific of anything we've seen in the NFL, ever. He compares favorably to Aaron Rodgers -- Newton has arguably been better -- despite Rodgers getting three years to marinate behind Brett Favre.
Advanced Stats

I can see how you wouldn't place any value on that.

As I said, he can prove me wrong on your team. Beyond just my mental questions, I think my team is better with one of the 2nd year QB's and Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz, Andre Johnson, etc. than Cam with Mike Wallace, James Jones, Greg Jennings, etc. Factor in my lack of trust and it's pushed over the edge.

Good luck.

As I said, he can prove me wrong on your team. Beyond just my mental questions, I think my team is better with one of the 2nd year QB's and Larry Fitzgerald, Victor Cruz, Andre Johnson, etc. than Cam with Mike Wallace, James Jones, Greg Jennings, etc. Factor in my lack of trust and it's pushed over the edge.

Good luck.
I feel the same about drafting Aaron Rodgers and Drew Brees this season. Not sure how or when the conversation changed to re-draft value at ADP.

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton has engineered just one touchdown drive through eight preseason possessions.
The lone TD came with a short field (18 yards) following a Jay Cutler interception. The results of the other seven drives have been four punts, two field goals, and a Newton pick. Through two preseason games, Newton has completed just 11-of-23 passes (47.8 percent) for 128 yards (5.6 YPA), and a 1:1 TD-to-INT ratio. He's only scrambled once, gaining five yards. It's worth noting Cam's preseason stats were awful in his first two NFL years, as well. He finished as the no. 5 fantasy QB in 2011, and No. 4 in 2012.

Rotoworld:

Cam Newton has engineered just one touchdown drive through eight preseason possessions.
The lone TD came with a short field (18 yards) following a Jay Cutler interception. The results of the other seven drives have been four punts, two field goals, and a Newton pick. Through two preseason games, Newton has completed just 11-of-23 passes (47.8 percent) for 128 yards (5.6 YPA), and a 1:1 TD-to-INT ratio. He's only scrambled once, gaining five yards. It's worth noting Cam's preseason stats were awful in his first two NFL years, as well. He finished as the no. 5 fantasy QB in 2011, and No. 4 in 2012.

Maybe his preseason will allow me to grab him in the 4th....that would be ideal.

What mental issues do you believe he has and why do you believe that? Are you one of those guys ripping him for putting a towel on his head?

What mental issues do you believe he has and why do you believe that? Are you one of those guys ripping him for putting a towel on his head?
I'm almost positive we've already been over this, but if that was with someone else - use the search function. I'm not going to repeat myself.

I'm almost positive we've already been over this, but if that was with someone else - use the search function. I'm not going to repeat myself.
:lmao:

Went back through this thread and can't really find anything of substance so there's really no need for you to repeat any of it. Plenty's changed in the last two years but I suspect your opinion hasn't for whatever reason. Just wanted to understand what I was dealing with.

Can needs weapons and a new OC and maybe head coach that actually understand HOW to play to his strengths. If he had those he wouldn't be forcing the way he does.

They are trying to make a running qb into a pocket passer. With no weapons to throw to. Biggest morons right now in football in Rivera and Mike Shula. Unreal.

Cam should be taking off and running at last 5-10 times per game and especially when none of his receivers are open. That's what makes him special.

If you really want a laugh - read the other two threads: "Newton is a baby", and "A totally accurate scouting report on Newton". This thread came after he turned things around.
I started that "Newton is a baby" thread.. and I don't think there was anything wrong with that thread at the time it was posted. He was not a leader than, and I like I said the only way things will turn around for the Panthers is if Newton grows up, and they get rid of Ron Rivera. I was pretty spot on with that assessment. The defense has looked better, and Cam spent the off-season looking at films with his father and brother of him "sulking" on the sidelines. Ron Rivera has realized that you can't win in the NFL if you do everything by the book, and that he is not going to be a coach for much longer if he doesn't change his philosophy somewhat. Maybe it is a good thing that Rivera is "in the hot seat" finally. As far as Cam, he has grown and matured, and was voted team Captain this year. Props to Cam, if he continues to mature like this and continues to play smart like he has 3 out of the last 4 games. He will be a great NFL quarterback, and this team has a really good shot at making the playoffs. We saw what he did without maturity and just using his physical skills in his first two years. I want to see if he can "will his way to victory" like some of the other greats that play the game, and lead his team to a few play off victories before calling him great.

But so far, so good. The panthers have a chance this Thursday to have their first winning record since Cam has played quarterback. Should be a fun one to watch.

Cam is on fire right now. Only had two incompletions last week and one was a drop.
I'm just happy he's giving a reason to watch the game Thursday.
Not sure why you need him to provide you a reason to watch, but I suspect one of a few narratives regardless of if you watch or not.....if they blow the team out, well, they just blew out a bad team. If they win a close game, he sucks, has mental issues and can't lead. God forbid they actually lose....it's open season if that happens. Options are endless.

Cam is on fire right now. Only had two incompletions last week and one was a drop.
Not sure why you need him to provide you a reason to watch, but I suspect one of a few narratives regardless of if you watch or not.....if they blow the team out, well, they just blew out a bad team. If they win a close game, he sucks, has mental issues and can't lead. God forbid they actually lose....it's open season if that happens. Options are endless.
This is a great opportunity for him to step on the throat of all of his critics like me. Terrible opponent running a predictable defensive scheme under utilizing their best weapons with a clubhouse that has already collapsed under poor leadership and a staph breakout with a mediocre rookie QB under center trying to run an equally poor scheme on the offensive side of the ball. All this while the Panthers come in smoking hot.

This is a great opportunity for him to step on the throat of all of his critics like me. Terrible opponent running a predictable defensive scheme under utilizing their best weapons with a clubhouse that has already collapsed under poor leadership and a staph breakout with a mediocre rookie QB under center trying to run an equally poor scheme on the offensive side of the ball. All this while the Panthers come in smoking hot.
I have already predicted what the :hophead: will be above....I'm comfortable sticking by that.

I have already predicted what the :hophead: will be above....I'm comfortable sticking by that.
I disagree with a couple of your takes - the blowout and the close win. Carolina hasn't won many close games with sCam, a close win especially one with him making plays late will draw a positive. I'm sure he'll be criticized some for inconsistent play, since I'm sure that'll be the case if this is a close game, but if he makes plays to win late that will dwarf everything else. The blowing out a bad team thing isn't going to play out like that either, Carolina has done that two weeks in a row. Three will be a trend. It will absolutely up the stakes for the next 3 weeks though.

If they lose to this dumpster fire though...yeah, will get ugly.

I'll analyze during the offseason, last time I looked through PFF midseason before the trade deadline's in my leagues I ntoiced a lot of bad indicators - 2nd down, 3rd down, and the deep ball stick out iirc. We'll see if those red flags changed as he improved on the surface towards the end of the season a/o if others emerged - good or bad. More concerned about my playoff lineup's than digging into the details of Cam's game right now, statistically anyway.
Carolina quarterback Cam Newton is completing 74.3-percent of his third-down throws, by far the best in the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24131807/after-further-review-wilsons-great-on-the-run-so-why-rush-him

Cam is on pace to be +6 AY/PA and +57% completion % in all of his first 3 seasons so far.

There are 23 other QBs with 4 or more seasons with those types of numbers during their first 6 seasons

Those 23 QBs, sorted by number of seasons:

Joe Flacco, Jeff Garcia, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Jason Campbell, Daunte Culpepper, Jay Cutler, Delhomme , Brett Favre, Bernie Kosar, Jim McMahon, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo

I'll analyze during the offseason, last time I looked through PFF midseason before the trade deadline's in my leagues I ntoiced a lot of bad indicators - 2nd down, 3rd down, and the deep ball stick out iirc. We'll see if those red flags changed as he improved on the surface towards the end of the season a/o if others emerged - good or bad. More concerned about my playoff lineup's than digging into the details of Cam's game right now, statistically anyway.
Carolina quarterback Cam Newton is completing 74.3-percent of his third-down throws, by far the best in the league.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24131807/after-further-review-wilsons-great-on-the-run-so-why-rush-him

Cam is on pace to be +6 AY/PA and +57% completion % in all of his first 3 seasons so far.

There are 23 other QBs with 4 or more seasons with those types of numbers during their first 6 seasons

Those 23 QBs, sorted by number of seasons:

Joe Flacco, Jeff Garcia, Jim Kelly, Dan Marino, Roethlisberger, Matt Ryan, Peyton Manning, Joe Montana, Marc Bulger, Mark Brunell, Troy Aikman, Tom Brady, Jason Campbell, Daunte Culpepper, Jay Cutler, Delhomme , Brett Favre, Bernie Kosar, Jim McMahon, Donovan McNabb, Carson Palmer, Philip Rivers, Tony Romo
Saw that, definitely has made progress in that area.

Cam is on pace to be 1 of 2 quarterbacks to have +6.16 ay/pa during their first 3 seasons (minimum 6 starts)

Dan Marino is the other

Cam is on pace to be 1 of 2 quarterbacks to have +6.16 ay/pa during their first 3 seasons (minimum 6 starts)

Dan Marino is the other
This is the component that still doesn't smell right though. His consistency issues are most problematic when going down field. If his first read is there long he usually hits them, but when it's not his first read it's messy. Resetting his feet, eyes, stepping into the throw vs. the rush, etc. Get him rattled early and all of this usually falls apart. This may also be driven by poor play around him, if they don't play well instead of elevating his game Cam follows the herd. Totally different story than the ypa though.

Dan Marino is the other
This is the component that still doesn't smell right though. His consistency issues are most problematic when going down field. If his first read is there long he usually hits them, but when it's not his first read it's messy. Resetting his feet, eyes, stepping into the throw vs. the rush, etc. Get him rattled early and all of this usually falls apart. This may also be driven by poor play around him, if they don't play well instead of elevating his game Cam follows the herd. Totally different story than the ypa though.
On the throw to Lafell for the big touchdown Lafell was his third read.

MAC_32 said:
FDC said:

Dan Marino is the other
I think you are mixing his problems together too much

He hasn't had a great amount of success (until recently) at going through his reads. He just has locked onto guys too often.

He also hasn't had what I would call a natural touch on his throws which has nothing to do with accuracy IMO. It seems to me that natural touch has come around too. All he needed to do was take a tad off.

Maybe that natural touch thing is why Cam failed the eye test for so many. He has thrown off his back foot at times, but other than those times he has been pretty darn accurate and it has shown up in his YPA numbers.

MAC_32 said:
FDC said:

Dan Marino is the other

He hasn't had a great amount of success (until recently) at going through his reads. He just has locked onto guys too often.

He also hasn't had what I would call a natural touch on his throws which has nothing to do with accuracy IMO. It seems to me that natural touch has come around too. All he needed to do was take a tad off.

Maybe that natural touch thing is why Cam failed the eye test for so many. He has thrown off his back foot at times, but other than those times he has been pretty darn accurate and it has shown up in his YPA numbers.
The lack of touch contributes to dropped passes, so I wouldn't say he is beyond that issue yet.

NCCommish said:
MAC_32 said:
FDC said:

Dan Marino is the other
I saw. One play does not make a sample. It was a very good play by Cam. It's not something he has done often.

Do it again. And again.

As an aside, absolutely true, when I see lots of problems and not just 1 or 2 I have a difficult time isolating the actual issue because they all work together and not working with him every day it makes it more challenging to identify what the specific issues are. It may just be a couple of problems causing all of these other ones to occur. Which are the problems that need corrected? Well, coach, good luck. If you can figure them out and get him to execute you may have something here.

NCCommish said:
MAC_32 said:
FDC said:

Dan Marino is the other
I saw. One play does not make a sample. It was a very good play by Cam. It's not something he has done often.

Do it again. And again.
Keep hating.

You are brutal.

NCCommish said:
MAC_32 said:
FDC said:

Dan Marino is the other

Do it again. And again.
Keep hating.

You are brutal.
You make decisions based off one play? one game?

Personally, I prefer to see trends.

Once is an occurrence, twice is a coincidence, three times is a trend.

Still waiting on that trend with Cam...

Do it again. And again.
He is 24 and has about 3 years of high level football as a starter

A year and a half younger than Kaepernick who has 6 years under his belt

6 months younger than Luck who has 5 years

6 months younger than Russel Wilson who has 5 years

If you are going to claim Cam has plateaued when you don't see those types of plays often - I expect you to do the same with Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, etc

...and he will only have himself to blame if he doesn't continue the trend today. Twitter's been correctly killing Tampa's predictable defensive scheme all year, so the Panthers should know what's coming. Their scheme continues to fail yet they won't adjust. It's hilarious.

Do it again. And again.
He is 24 and has about 3 years of high level football as a starter

A year and a half younger than Kaepernick who has 6 years under his belt

6 months younger than Luck who has 5 years

6 months younger than Russel Wilson who has 5 years

If you are going to claim Cam has plateaued when you don't see those types of plays often - I expect you to do the same with Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, etc
I've never been a fan of specific strict evaluation criteria for every single player. Football isn't like baseball, there are lots of different variables effecting each individual situation that don't necessarily effect others. Vacuum analysis usually doesn't work, for me anyway.

...and he will only have himself to blame if he doesn't continue the trend today. Twitter's been correctly killing Tampa's predictable defensive scheme all year, so the Panthers should know what's coming. Their scheme continues to fail yet they won't adjust. It's hilarious.
Coaches aren't stupid. Even Schiano. He might be an ##### and have the wrong personality for an NFL head coach but he's not stupid. Neither is his defensive coach. There's probably a damn good reason they aren't using Revis in man-to-man. He's probably not ready for it after the knee issue.

Everyone was lambasting the Bills coach last year for not using Spiller more, and instead using Fred Jackson in key situations. The coach said Spiller wasn't an every-down player. Guess what happened? Spiller played the every-down role this year, got hurt, and now Fred Jackson is doing well. Coaches aren't dumb.

Coaches aren't stupid. Even Schiano. He might be an ##### and have the wrong personality for an NFL head coach but he's not stupid. Neither is his defensive coach. There's probably a damn good reason they aren't using Revis in man-to-man. He's probably not ready for it after the knee issue.

Everyone was lambasting the Bills coach last year for not using Spiller more, and instead using Fred Jackson in key situations. The coach said Spiller wasn't an every-down player. Guess what happened? Spiller played the every-down role this year, got hurt, and now Fred Jackson is doing well. Coaches aren't dumb.
No, he didn't.

Users who are viewing this thread