What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Cam Newton, CAR (2 Viewers)

BassNBrew said:
BB is a genius.

Cam never threw it in the dirt.  Now 8 ft tall WRs would come in handy.
That Tampa game made it seem like he was getting an AARP mailing the next day. He just looked old and awful. He was missing guys that were ten yards open. Woof. Let's hope his time with NE is much better (I roster him in dynasty). 

That Tampa game made it seem like he was getting an AARP mailing the next day. He just looked old and awful. He was missing guys that were ten yards open. Woof. Let's hope his time with NE is much better (I roster him in dynasty). 
You mean that game where he couldn't push off or move because he had an injured foot?

You mean that game where he couldn't push off or move because he had an injured foot?
Exactly the game. I'm more sanguine than some about Newton's chances, so I think you're misinterpreting my post as detracting from his overall quality as a player. He was hurt. The question is can the foot and shoulder get back to a modicum of what they were so that he can play effectively?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly the game. I'm more sanguine than some about Newton's chances, so I think you're misinterpreting my post as detracting from his overall quality as a player. He was hurt. The question is can the foot and shoulder get back to a modicum of what they were so that he can play effectively?
I did misunderstand your post.  I took it as you thought he was done and didn't have a reason (other than being done) to make him look like he did in that game.  For me, his game is predicated on being able to escape and make plays with his legs.  It builds his emotion and really is a huge part of his game.  In that game he knew he couldn't do those things and I could see the frustration in the way he played and he totally looked defeated.  The injury was a bigger tole on his mindset than his actual ability (which the two are closely tied).

I believe he is in the best possible situation for him to be an above average QB again provided he is healthy.  BB will use his strengths and game plan for him to be successful.  I think he has a big year.  This, of course, requires good health.   

People can agree or disagree (or more likely agree to disagree). But here is what Doug Kyed had to say about the Patriots QB situation in his mailbag segment (he covers the Pats for NESN):

Q: Put a percentage on each of the Pats QBs for who starts Game 1. Hoyer X% Stidham Y% Newton Z% in Week 1?
A: I’ll go: Newton: 50% Stidham: 30% Hoyer: 20% I think there’s a fairly significant difference between asking which quarterback starts Week 1 and which quarterback has the most starts this season. If you were asking the latter, I’d say: Newton: 60% Stidham: 35% Hoyer: 5%.

Today was what the Patriots called their first real practice. Reports are that Hoyer looked like Hoyer and the other two looked much better. I am sure there will be daily updates forthcoming from a lot of people.

CAM NEWTON QB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

Patriots beat writer Mark Daniels said fans shouldn't "read into" the team's quarterback rotation during training camp. 

Daniels said there has been "no true order" in the rotation so far in training camp. "For example, Hoyer led one series of drills followed by Stidham/Newton. Then Stidham followed by Newton/Hoyer. Then Newton followed by Stidham/Hoyer," Daniels posted on Twitter. Newton, the 14th QB off the draft board in fantasy leagues, is an overwhelming favorite to start Week 1, per Vegas odds. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

SOURCE: Mark Daniels on Twitter 

Aug 17, 2020, 12:52 PM ET

“All the quarterbacks have been good,” Belichick said on ESPN Radio's Radio’s Keyshawn, JWill and Zubin Show. “Brian Hoyer’s got the most experience of any of our quarterbacks in our system. Jarrett Stidham is really coming on here in Year 2. He got a great year last year in terms of learning and personal and technique development at the position. And Cam has been a late addition, but he’s brought a lot of energy and, obviously, playing experience to our room. For him, it’s catching up on the specifics of the Patriots system, terminology and so forth, which he’s worked extremely hard at. Brian Lewerke is a college free agent quarterback that is also in the room and is a developmental-type player. It’s a good group.

“... They’ve all been great. I’d say, Cam, I just haven’t had experience working with Cam. But he works extremely hard. He puts a lot into it, as do Jarrett and Brian. So it’s a really hard-working, competitive group.”

Given Monday was the first padded practice, there really haven't been many opportunities for the quarterbacks to stand out, and that continued as there was a heavy focus on the run game.

“We really haven’t had a lot of competitive opportunities — really haven’t had any,” Belichick said. “That will really start in a couple days here, once we get into padded practices and so forth where we can really go out there and compete. It’s been a lot of learning, a lot of getting comfortable running plays multiple times in a controlled setting, so we’ll be in position to go out there and start running them competitively against our defense and evaluate how players perform.”

LINK

To summarize what I saw or heard today, Stidham had the upper hand in the QB battle today. Went 14 of 15 passing in offense vs defense part of practice and said to have great command of the offense and hit guys at all levels. Cam went 10 of 11 but most were check downs or shorter routes. Hoyer mostly got the leftovers today, but they have been rotating the QBs pretty regularly. 

Reading the QB Tea Leaves in New England

Excerpt:

One thing you’ve seen consistently over the last few days: the order of the Patriots quarterbacks taking snaps. It’s been Brian Hoyer, then Jarrett Stidham, then Cam Newton. I would read nothing into that, other than Bill Belichick sticking to his own way of handling these sorts of things—this gets filed into the same category as rookies having to wear ugly numbers (in the 50s and 60s) during camp, and Tom Bradygetting chewed out in meetings into his forties. That place has always been set up to be a meritocracy, with all of your equity in the building coming not on achievement elsewhere, but what you’ve done in your time there. Newton, right now, has none of that equity. With time, it’ll come. I’d be pretty surprised if he’s not the starter in September.

Except that's not the way they have been doing it. It was like that one practice, but the next day it's different. They have been rotating who goes first in terms of drills or who goes out with the first team. Yesterday, each QB got 5 shots to work with the offense. They mixed it up, but Newton went 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd on his stints with the ones. Stidham also went 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, and 3rd. Hoyer went 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, and 3rd. Basically, Newton and Stidham have been getting exactly the same amount of work with the same players.

I do find it interesting that of the 87 people / places I look at, many of them said Stidham had a better day yesterday. Newton got mostly an "also did pretty well." However, this morning on the NFL Network, they had a pretty decent discussion based on their report that Newton looking confused and didn't know what to do at times in yesterday's practice. I hadn't seen that elsewhere. I am guessing it was Rapoport that must have brought it up. He covered NE for three seasons, so I sort of listen to him on NE stuff (but overall I find he is not always accurate in general).

They went on to say it's still early and Cam will have some growing pains in the early going. The panel universally felt he will end up being the starter. Of course, they left themselves some wiggle room by saying that if two weeks from now he is still looking a little lost, then they may revisit their opinions.

I also watched a segment on Speak For Yourself on Fox, and Emmanuel Acho felt Cam is not on as solid footing as it has appeared since he signed there. Although he didn't really fully explain why, I think he expected Cam to come in and take all of the first team reps (or the huge majority) as the unquestioned starter and that clearly is not how they have been working it. He seems to think that Cam would just waltz in at take over the offense and they would have treated him stature wise like Brady.

Like I said many times over the last few weeks, there will be a million and one reports and hot takes on this one. I don't know how things will turn out, but if Cam looks like a deer in the headlights on some plays a couple of days before the season starts, he may not be the starter on Week 1 (which is not to say he won't take over as the starter . . . only that they are not going to send him out there if he is confused and doesn't know enough of the playbook).

Consensus on today's practice: Stidham threw 3 picks. Newton didn't do anything great or anything that bad. Hoyer connected on a couple of bombs and was likely the best of the three.

NE has used 2 of their 10 padded practices so far and several people are now reporting Cam has been very indecisive and unsure of himself and he usually settles for a check down. Stidham is said to have a much better sense of the playbook and has been very decisive on his reads and throws. But today Stidham made some bad throws resulting in picks. Hoyer has probably been the most consistent so far. Will update again tomorrow.

NE has used 2 of their 10 padded practices so far and several people are now reporting Cam has been very indecisive and unsure of himself and he usually settles for a check down. Stidham is said to have a much better sense of the playbook and has been very decisive on his reads and throws. But today Stidham made some bad throws resulting in picks. Hoyer has probably been the most consistent so far. Will update again tomorrow.
Maybe it is expected Newton be a bit unsure if he doesn’t have all the plays down. 

Hard to tell if anyone is really winning the QB battle in NE. Newton got picked twice today. Stidham had one INT and the verdict is still out if he had another (reporters couldn't tell if the pass was caught, picked, or incomplete). Hoyer said to have some really nice throws and some really terrible ones (but no passes intercepted).

Cam apparently still trying to get his sea legs and chemistry working with the offense. Heard he went to speak to a variety of coaches every time he was not on the field. I heard the words "looked uncomfortable" in describing his play on the field (but not sure what that means if anything). Everyone has been raving about how much energy he has (although I am not sure what energy brings to practice or if that leads to a more productive offense).

Also new today was a stretch where Cam and Stidham alternated every snap or every rep (the QB's have always taken multiple plays or reps in a row and then they moved on to the next guy).

BB was asked if he would actually use a QB rotation in season and Bill said he would do anything if it helped the team win.

That would be hilarious if somehow BB coached his way to the playoffs with a QB rotation that featured a washed up Cam. I think its more likely the opposite will happen, but much to the disdain of all non-Pats fans, the Pats probably somehow someway win the AFC East yet again because Bills, Jets, Dolphins. 

TwinTurbo said:
That would be hilarious if somehow BB coached his way to the playoffs with a QB rotation that featured a washed up Cam. I think its more likely the opposite will happen, but much to the disdain of all non-Pats fans, the Pats probably somehow someway win the AFC East yet again because Bills, Jets, Dolphins. 
Bills have one of the best built rosters in the league. If JA17 elevates his play, even just a little, the AFC East is theres for the taking.

Bills have one of the best built rosters in the league. If JA17 elevates his play, even just a little, the AFC East is theres for the taking.
I've been a fan historically, but I caught a stat the talking heads were spewing earlier this week.  Josh led the league last year in uncatchable passes (i.e. really bad throws) at 25%. 

Now this is impacted by pressure and scrambling to be sure, but you have to wonder if that level of broken is fixable.

I am still not sure anyone is "winning" the QB competition in NE, although Stidham has done his best to be losing it (7 total INT's in the last 3 practices). Today in 11-on-11, no one was very good. Newton 7 for 13. Hoyer 6 for 11. Stidham 2 for 6 with 2 picks.

Maybe the defense is ahead of the offense right now. TB12 last year said he had a really hard time doing anything in the preseason because the defense was really, really good. This year, I am guessing the defense still is pretty good but the offense is likely as bad as the defense is good. But it's still early . . . they have a chance to pull together and move up to mediocre.

CAM NEWTON QB, NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS

ESPN's Mike Reiss believes none of the Patriots' quarterbacks have "flashed" in summer practice so far. 

Reiss, understandably, thinks that "helps Cam Newton the most." Jarrett Stidham has thrown six interceptions through four practices. Newton has earned raves for the positive energy he has brought to the practice field and locker room, but he also has little to work with in the Pats' passing game. Even if Newton gets all the way back to 100 percent health, his lack of weapons will be a concern in fantasy. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

SOURCE: Mike Reiss on Twitter 

Aug 20, 2020, 7:20 PM ET

You have a partial explanation why Cam got more reps than Stidham in the Stidham thread. He’s nursing a leg injury and they are taking it slow. So that would leave Newton with more reps with Stidham out. Overall, the common theme coming out of camp is no one looks great at QB this far. 

As for the preliminary conclusion that Cam  would be destined for limited success with a lack of weapons on offense, I don’t remember the Panthers offense being overflowing with great talent at the skill positions either in several of Cam’s years there. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You have a partial explanation why Cam got more reps than Stidham in the Stidham thread. He’s nursing a leg injury and they are taking it slow. So that would leave Newton with more reps with Stidham out. Overall, the common theme coming out of camp is no one looks great at QB this far. 

As for the preliminary conclusion that Cam  would be destined for limited success with a lack of weapons on offense, I don’t remember the Panthers offense being overflowing with great talent at the skill positions either in several of Cam’s years there. 
I would put each of CMC, DJ Moore and Steve Smith lightyears beyond anyone the Pats have had not named Gronk or Moss. Olsen wasn't shabby either. No not overflowing but this Pats team is bare.

I would put each of CMC, DJ Moore and Steve Smith lightyears beyond anyone the Pats have had not named Gronk or Moss. Olsen wasn't shabby either. No not overflowing but this Pats team is bare.
Until 2018 when CMC showed up, no Carolina RB playing with Cam had rushed for 1,000+ yards. There were 4 years where the top RB rushed in the 800's, one year in the 700's (and another in the 900's). In three seasons, the team leader in receiving yards was in the 800's.

Sure, here and there there were good pieces like you mentioned, but most seasons there was either one guy that didn't halfway decent and the other players were just ok. The year they went 15-1, Olsen had 1104 receiving yards, Stewart had 989 rushing yards, and the other pieces were Ginn, Cotchery, Funchess, and Brown. (Ginn was second on the team with 739 receiving yards).

Playing the what if game, Edelman could get close to 1100 yards, one of the backs could get close to 1000 yards (assuming they stick with one and he stays healthy), and NE has several guys that could do enough to get 300-500 receiving yards like the Panthers did.

BTW, that Carolina team is somewhat similar to the 2001 Patriots team (Smith 1150 rushing yards, Brown 1200 receiving yards, Patten 750 receiving yards . . . and then a whole lot of nothing). Obviously the Pats won the SB that season. They also won in 2018 running Michel, abusing Edelman, and Gronk making appearances at key moments.

Maybe NE falls into the ranks of the mediocre, but they have been able to win with essentially 2-3 players on offense before. Maybe that's Edelman, a RB, and Harry (or Asiasi). I don't expect them to be spectacular on offense (or defense) or have a stellar record. But BB has won with teams without a ton of talent (in years where Brady wasn't all that great). But we'll have to wait and see . . . certainly their floor is A LOT lower this time around.

The Boston Globe reports the Patriots have officially named Cam Newton their starting quarterback. 

Per reporter Jim McBride, coach Bill Belichick informed the team in a Thursday meeting. The camp scuttlebutt on Cam has been that he immediately took over the locker room and huddle but hasn't made a ton of splash plays with the Pats' undermanned skill corps. Belichick has raved about Newton's competitiveness and work ethic. Newton is facing the same supporting cast issues Tom Brady had, but his legs are an extra dimension. Newton also had years of success with awful skill groups in Carolina. Newton is a high-end QB2 who could quickly reclaim every-week QB1 status. 

RELATED: 

Jarrett Stidham

SOURCE: Boston Globe 

Sep 3, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

I dunno. He keeps dropping to me in drafts, but I was so, so burned by drafting him last year. He single-handedly tanked my roster. I was playing catch-up all year. Don't want that risk.

At the moment, based on roster projections (and no last minute additions) here are the career reception totals for all receivers not named Edelman that Cam will have the pleasure of throwing to:

WR:
Bird 44
Meyers 26 (on the roster bubble)
Harry 12
Olszewski 2
Slater 1
Ross 0

TE:
Izzo 6
Asiasi 0
Keene 0

At the moment, based on roster projections (and no last minute additions) here are the career reception totals for all receivers not named Edelman that Cam will have the pleasure of throwing to:

WR:
Bird 44
Meyers 26 (on the roster bubble)
Harry 12
Olszewski 2
Slater 1
Ross 0

TE:
Izzo 6
Asiasi 0
Keene 0
Options I'd consider, in approx order,

Jermaine Kerse

Dez Bryant

Tyler Gabriel

Kick the tires with Michael Crabtree

Cam finished 10th in passing yardage in his rookie season back in 2011.  It was his only 4K season of his career.  Does anyone think he can be a top 10 fantasy QB with his arm?

Cam finished 10th in passing yardage in his rookie season back in 2011.  It was his only 4K season of his career.  Does anyone think he can be a top 10 fantasy QB with his arm?
Not sure what you are getting at. He was a Top 4 fantasy QB four other years besides his rookie year not throwing for 4,000 yards. Are you suggesting he stops running the ball?

Yes, he can. He's been a top-10 QB his entire career, based mostly off his legs. I fully expect those legs to carry him again. They aren't plugging Newton into Brady's offense, I'm fully expecting an entirely different style from the Patriots offense this season.

Belichick has long expressed the difficulty in dealing with a mobile QB, and while it was a small sample size, when Brady was out a couple years back, New England had all kinds of designed QB runs, and creative misdirection offense with Jacoby Brissett at QB, and I feel very comfortable saying Brissett isn't even close to the runner or passer that even a diminished Newton is, and what if Cam is fully healthy?

Honestly, I think Cam can be a top-5 QB this year. I'm not saying he will, but its on the table. I'm not really seeing much difference between Newton and Josh Allen fantasy wise, other than Allen isn't coming off injury, and Newton has proven top-5 ability. The biggest difference is that Newton is going at least 4 rounds later. 

Yes, he can. He's been a top-10 QB his entire career, based mostly off his legs. I fully expect those legs to carry him again. They aren't plugging Newton into Brady's offense, I'm fully expecting an entirely different style from the Patriots offense this season.

Belichick has long expressed the difficulty in dealing with a mobile QB, and while it was a small sample size, when Brady was out a couple years back, New England had all kinds of designed QB runs, and creative misdirection offense with Jacoby Brissett at QB, and I feel very comfortable saying Brissett isn't even close to the runner or passer that even a diminished Newton is, and what if Cam is fully healthy?

Honestly, I think Cam can be a top-5 QB this year. I'm not saying he will, but its on the table. I'm not really seeing much difference between Newton and Josh Allen fantasy wise, other than Allen isn't coming off injury, and Newton has proven top-5 ability. The biggest difference is that Newton is going at least 4 rounds later. 
Not sure Brissett is the comp you want. In the 3 games he started in 2016 he had 55 att for 400 yards  0 passing tds, 16 rushes for 83 yards and 1 rushing td.

I think Cam could be really good this year.  I don't think the passing yards are going to be crazy high but they might be a functional offense and he could have 750 rushing yards and a lot of TDs.  

I think the best part is the early reveal.  If he doesn't have a good week 1 against MIA then you can drop him and move on.

Users who are viewing this thread