What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Culpepper / WR Porter (1 Viewer)

Stealthycat

Footballguy
Anything out of camp on these guys ? Forgotten players that could be very good FF producers this year maybe ?

I'm of the opinion that Jerry Porter is trash.
Care to elaborate on the reasons?Porter clashed with Art Shell last year. The year was a disaster from start to finish for the whole team. In three of the previous four seasons, Porter was in the top 30 in FBG scoring, so he has proven he can be a solid WR3. I downgrade him some because of the QB uncertainty, but I can see a low end WR3/high end WR4 for Porter this year.

I like Porter quite a bit this year. He hasn't had good QB play for awhile, but he produced even without it in the past. I'm completely willing to write off last season - if anything, that experience seems to have rejuvenated Porter. Everything that we've heard so far this offseason about Porter is positive. Culpepper has to be an upgrade over last year and I think it's clear that, at least at this point, Kiffin has the offense playing hard and believing. Porter is talented and I think he's got a good shot to get about 900 yards and 6-7 TDs. He's way underrated right now.

It's not a good sign when a player dissappears for a year. Jerry Porter has basically been out of football for a year. Personally, come game time I think it's going to show. All Raider's are an "avoid" for me again this year. I like the changes they have made to get going in the right direction, but it's going to be a slow rebuilding process there. 2007 is a throw away year.

It's not a good sign when a player dissappears for a year. Jerry Porter has basically been out of football for a year. Personally, come game time I think it's going to show. All Raider's are an "avoid" for me again this year. I like the changes they have made to get going in the right direction, but it's going to be a slow rebuilding process there. 2007 is a throw away year.
Porter didn't "just dissappear." He was blackballed by Shell, mostly 'cause Porter didn't like what Shell and the other coaches brought (or didn't) to the team. 2nd, everyone assumes that this is the worst O-line in the NFL. They weren't that bad two and three years ago. Last year they were confused w/ the new system and 3 different coaches barking different things in their ears. People say the O-line needs to gel, but they can't if the coaching staff hasn't gellled. I don't mean that I think they'll be a good O-line, but I do expect it to be completely different than last year. That said, I'm not a big fan of the post-Randy version of C-Pep, and I'm not hearing anything good about Jordan, but Curry and Porter each should have 700-900 and 5+ TDs. I don't think I'd take either as a WR 3, but as a 4 or 5 I'd be very content. He's a player that could crack your starting lineup by mid-season if things go right and 1K and 9 TDs is not out of the realm of possibility given that I'm already hearing about C-Pep hooking up w/ Porter for TDs in practice.

given that I'm already hearing about C-Pep hooking up w/ Porter for TDs in practice.
Thats what I want to hear ..... if by some odd chance they click, Porter could be a very good late pick up. Why ? Methinks a poor running game means passing, and Culpepper or McCown can pass, and completions will go to Porter its just how many is the question ?Thanks for the update, good to a good report on a late round WR

PahtyTom said:
Curry is better.
Porter is a better all around WR than Curry. Curry has made some big plays, but he is not a consistent #1 or #2 WR. Porter is a solid #2, borderline #1 NFL WR. Curry is better off as a #3.We're speaking NFL, not FF BTW.

Yeah, I think the point about a lot of the o-line's issues being due to the coaching problems is spot on. Also, last year's offense was ridiculous and called for a lot of 7-step drops that the line was just not set up to protect for. Word out of camp this year is that they are using their personnel sanely and I think we'll see a jump up in production. I think Kiffin is also smart enough to understand the danger of switching around QBs like they did last season and will stick with Culpepper for at least most of the year. If that's the case, the consistency at the QB position, combined with one of the top defenses in the league, could result in a significantly better Oakland Raiders team than many people expect.

Yeah, I think the point about a lot of the o-line's issues being due to the coaching problems is spot on. Also, last year's offense was ridiculous and called for a lot of 7-step drops that the line was just not set up to protect for. Word out of camp this year is that they are using their personnel sanely and I think we'll see a jump up in production. I think Kiffin is also smart enough to understand the danger of switching around QBs like they did last season and will stick with Culpepper for at least most of the year. If that's the case, the consistency at the QB position, combined with one of the top defenses in the league, could result in a significantly better Oakland Raiders team than many people expect.
Are we sure Cpep can even play yet?

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread