What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

fwiw....here's this from Peter King and FMIA....

"4. One influential NFL person told me on this trip that it doesn’t sit well with the league or 31 other owners that the Browns rigged the Watson contract so that his suspension would cause him to lose only a fraction of his 2022 compensation. A suspension of six games, for instance, means Watson would be docked six-eighteenths (there are 18 game weeks, including the bye) of his $1.035-million salary, or $344,655. So if Robinson’s suspension with no additional fine other than six game checks stands, it means Watson would lose 0.7 percent of his $46-million total compensation this year. That’s almost absurd beyond words. I expect Harvey to be under some pressure to levy a multi-million-dollar fine of Watson in whatever he rules."

so as I have said from the beginning....there are people that feel there was an element of the Browns and Watson playing games or "rigging" his contract due to feeling as though there would be a suspension....
The only people who don’t think this are browns fans detached from reality.

you just can't keep falling back on this is the way we "originally" drew things up and this is the "max" baseline
How things were oringally drawn up?
The precedent and baseline had been Goodell as judge, juror, and executioner which was unacceptable to the NFLPA because of the arbitrary and bizarre nature of his punishments so both the NFL and NFLPA agreed to an independent arbitrator who handed down an unbiased decision.
This was the first test to see if the NFL would honor that agreement and they already appealed the decision.
nobody is really arguing that at this point
Yes, they are arguing that point that the Browns set up the contract just to avoid Watson being levied a fine when ALL contracts for EVERY NFL team are set up the same way.
1. originally drawn up in reference to 6 games being the initial max for PCP violations.....(before going in front of Rog/designee if appealed)
2. I just quoted what Peter King said an "influential NFL person" said that NFL and 31 owners and how they felt they "rigged" it and that it didn't sit well with them....interpret that however you want...
This is one many in here got right as well.

It was pretty glaringly obvious that the Browns expected a lengthy suspension, and I wouldn’t be surprised if the way they worked that contract had a lot to do with why Watson signed with Cleveland.

And it feels icky.

"4. One influential NFL person told me on this trip that it doesn’t sit well with the league or 31 other owners that the Browns rigged the Watson contract so that his suspension would cause him to lose only a fraction of his 2022 compensation. A suspension of six games, for instance, means Watson would be docked six-eighteenths (there are 18 game weeks, including the bye) of his $1.035-million salary, or $344,655. So if Robinson’s suspension with no additional fine other than six game checks stands, it means Watson would lose 0.7 percent of his $46-million total compensation this year. That’s almost absurd beyond words. I expect Harvey to be under some pressure to levy a multi-million-dollar fine of Watson in whatever he rules."

so as I have said from the beginning....there are people that feel there was an element of the Browns and Watson playing games or "rigging" his contract due to feeling as though there would be a suspension....
Speaking of, haven’t seen Soulfy or Obie in here for a while. Weren’t they 1000000% certain there’d be a zero game suspension and the NFL would look silly for wanting one? 🤔

it's the combination of minimum salary plus other contract language that prevents the team from recovering guaranteed money for a suspension for this set of infractions
Any guaranteed money is guaranteed for all contracts.
(snip)

But it's not guaranteed if the player is suspended. If they are, the team can recover a prorated amount for games missed.

Unless you're Deshaun Watson and the Browns gave you a contract term that explicitly states they can't do so for previously disclosed offenses.

Edit to add: A dumb thing about that aspect, the team doesn't HAVE to recover the guaranteed money. It is a choice. And teams sometimes choose not to in order to stay on good terms with the player.

But by signing away their ability to even do so, they consented to a contract term that very obviously circumvents one way in which Watson's guaranteed money - the money NOT part of the $1m salary - could be forfeited by a suspension. They put it in writing that they'd protect him in that regard.

Last edited:

100%.

It is also true that Watson agreed to be traded to the Browns solely because they were willing to play this game and guarantee the contract. Otherwise, he is a Panther right now.

Speaking of, haven’t seen Soulfy or Obie in here for a while. Weren’t they 1000000% certain there’d be a zero game suspension and the NFL would look silly for wanting one? 🤔
the boards going down couldn't have come at a better time for some......

This is what the NFL is doing if you need to read it in print but there can be very little dispute about some of this stuff and how it allows for an elaborate hoax on the NFL fans and media.

-Watson is definitely NOT playing Week 1, the 6 game suspension was accepted and those 6 games are set in stone...but what happened after is something I cannot ever remember the NFL doing previously...but maybe some of you recall differently.

-The NFL is appealing to itself to increase the suspension and also a hefty monetary fine...yes yes yes! It sticks in their craw that he got to sit and collect a paycheck last year. What is hard to understand is that Watson didn't and wouldn't play for the Texans who got caught as a middle man sorta speak for Watson doing some of this activity and all hell starts breaking loose. But the NFL has a math equation they use when measuring sexual predatory activities and what that has to cost or what their pound of flesh is going to total up because 6 games is not going to cover it this time and perhaps permanently moving forward. Goodell is reshaping what he wants to do in terms of dishing out punishment.

-Goodell could actually be the judge and hear his own appeal(oh yes). Next, he extends the suspension into a full year plus some other things he wants Watson to do before he steps on the field. Goodell wants a full year, treatment program for this type of predatory behavior and any slip and not only is 2022 gone but you might not be there Week 1 2023 if I don't think you are sincere and actively admitting what you did was wrong, etc... In lieu of being the judge(Goodell himself) because he yearns to make an example for all this bad press the NFL has been forced to eat...he finds someone else to rule so he hires Harvey the Rabbit and former NJ AG, I know he has a first name and he's not a rabbit but you can almost be assured that this suspension is going further and higher. I think the $$$ is ultimately what they want to go after one way or the other. Goodell would like to be docking the $46M per year/$230M guaranteed part of Watson's contract but he doesn't seem to have access at the moment so he is going to play out all the moves...because this mostly is a "Process" at this point, an elaborate hoax for those that can't see it. All window dressing to make it look like the hammer is being dropped on Watson.

Goodell, Watson and all agents/lawyers involved all knew Sue the Judge was going to come down with a 6-game suspension...does anyone think otherwise? Again, elaborate hoax and PR set up unfolding which is a major reason I don't see any way this is ever going to be kicked up to a Federal Court/Supreme Court, none of that is happening. Watson is caught red handed at this point and found guilty, it's just a process and math formula involving truckloads of money.

-Can you be a 1st time offender if you do it 25 times?

Why does Goodell think a full year suspension is in order this time? Because Roger knows that Harvey will bring it in under a year but he still gets what he wants, 12 GAMES!!! And a great big hefty fine, you can almost be assured that Watson will forfeit something and I think the fine could be as much as 8 digits large or possibly $10M+

Goodell gets what he wants which is a larger suspension but because he doesn't get a full year and then also be the gatekeeper for Watson to get in next year, it looks like Goodell doesn't get what he wants...but he does, he always does. And the genius of it all is that he still can use Harvey like this for future battles. If Harvey were to up the suspension to a year and give Goodell everything he asks for publicly, the players union would go irate and never agree to allow him to hear another one of these in the future. Goodell gets what he wants, makes it appear he is bending a little bit and still keeps Harvey the Rabbit in his back pocket when or if he chooses to use him again.

Check-Mate!
-RG

Last edited:
This is what the NFL is doing if you need to read it in print but there can be very little dispute about some of this stuff and how it allows for an elaborate hoax on the NFL fans and media.

-Watson is definitely NOT playing Week 1, the 6 game suspension was accepted and those 6 games are set in stone...but what happened after is something I cannot ever remember the NFL doing previously...but maybe some of you recall differently.

-The NFL is appealing to itself to increase the suspension and also a hefty monetary fine...yes yes yes! It sticks in their craw that he got to sit and collect a paycheck last year. What is hard to understand is that Watson didn't and wouldn't play for the Texans who got caught as a middle man sorta speak for Watson doing some of this activity and all hell starts breaking loose. But the NFL has a math equation they use when measuring sexual predatory activities and what that has to cost or what their pound of flesh is going to total up because 6 games is not going to cover it this time and perhaps permanently moving forward. Goodell is reshaping what he wants to do in terms of dishing out punishment.

-Goodell could actually be the judge and hear his own appeal(oh yes). Next, he extends the suspension into a full year plus some other things he wants Watson to do before he steps on the field. Goodell wants a full year, treatment program for this type of predatory behavior and any slip and not only is 2022 gone but you might not be there Week 1 2023 if I don't think you are sincere and actively admitting what you did was wrong, etc... In lieu of being the judge(Goodell himself) because he yearns to make an example for all this bad press the NFL has been forced to eat...he finds someone else to rule so he hires Harvey the Rabbit and former NJ AG, I know he has a first name and he's not a rabbit but you can almost be assured that this suspension is going further and higher. I think the $$$ is ultimately what they want to go after one way or the other. Goodell would like to be docking the $46M per year/$230M guaranteed part of Watson's contract but he doesn't seem to have access at the moment so he is going to play out all the moves...because this mostly is a "Process" at this point, an elaborate hoax for those that can't see it. All window dressing to make it look like the hammer is being dropped on Watson.

Goodell, Watson and all agents/lawyers involved all knew Sue the Judge was going to come down with a 6-game suspension...does anyone think otherwise? Again, elaborate hoax and PR set up unfolding which is a major reason I don't see any way this is ever going to be kicked up to a Federal Court/Supreme Court, none of that is happening. Watson is caught red handed at this point and found guilty, it's just a process and math formula involving truckloads of money.

-Can you be a 1st time offender if you do it 25 times?

Why does Goodell think a full year suspension is in order this time? Because Roger knows that Harvey will bring it in under a year but he still gets what he wants, 12 GAMES!!! And a great big hefty fine, you can almost be assured that Watson will forfeit something and I think the fine could be as much as 8 digits large or possibly $10M+

Goodell gets what he wants which is a larger suspension but because he doesn't get a full year and then also be the gatekeeper for Watson to get in next year, it looks like Goodell doesn't get what he wants...but he does, he always does. And the genius of it all is that he still can use Harvey like this for future battles. If Harvey were to up the suspension to a year and give Goodell everything he asks for publicly, the players union would go irate and never agree to allow him to hear another one of these in the future. Goodell gets what he wants, makes it appear he is bending a little bit and still keeps Harvey the Rabbit in his back pocket when of if he chooses to use him again.

Check-Mate!
but if this “only” gets 12 games....what exactly “non violent” offense would warrant a longer suspension....do minors have to be involved or something....

He’s getting the year....maybe more.....NFLPA can scream from the mountain tops later all they want and object to Harvey all they want down the road....but the NFL is going to bring the hammer down here....and send a strong message to the NFLPA about why this “appeal process” is a good thing they agreed to in the CBA....

IMO....the NFL will never agree to not have some level of control like this appeal process that they activated here...

IMO, the league has no choice but to act aghast and play it to the limit publicly. On the other hand, they still have the union to deal with going forward. It's a tough spot, if you ever want the players to trust you in the future.

IMO, the league has no choice but to act aghast and play it to the limit publicly. On the other hand, they still have the union to deal with going forward. It's a tough spot, if you ever want the players to trust you in the future.
Most players are good people and don’t give a crap about the discipline policies when it comes time to negotiate - they only care about the financials. In this case I’m sure most of the players, especially the ones with wives and daughters think Watson is a scumbag who deserves what he gets.

We’ll probably never see that Obi-Wan alias again on these boards.

We’ll probably never see that Obi-Wan alias again on these boards.
It’s a sizable L to take, really.

The league doesn’t care at all if the players trust them. They crushed the union in the last negotiation and they’ll do it again in the next one.

The league doesn’t care at all if the players trust them. They crushed the union in the last negotiation and they’ll do it again in the next one.
Of course. It’s a monopoly run by billionaire oligarchs.

If the players don’t like it, they can go to the CFL or try their hand at WWE or whichever wrestling show is most popular.

The NFLPA is better than having no Union, but just barely.

At the end of the day, I just don’t see them going to war over a dude that a woman judge said she saw enough evidence that he sexually assaulted women to suspend him over.

In the world of #MeToo, this would be a bizarre hill for them to die on. They’ll talk a big game, but I seriously doubt they file a lawsuit.

it's the combination of minimum salary plus other contract language that prevents the team from recovering guaranteed money for a suspension for this set of infractions
Contract extensions the Cleveland Browns have made with top paid players show the same low base salary the first year with significant increases afterward.
All guaranteed contracts are guaranteed, all of the top paid players on the Browns sign similar deals and the same applies to every NFL team.
They construct extensions with low base salaries the first year in order to spread out the high guaranteed signing bonus over the life of the contract.
Its SOP for EVERY NFL team seeking to spread the cap hit out over the life of the contract.

Nick Chubb​

2022 BASE SALARY $1,213,059​

2023 BASE SALARY $10,850,000
2024 BASE SALARY $11,775,000

Myles Garrett 2022 BASE SALARY $1,035,000​

2023 BASE SALARY $17,250,000
2024 BASE SALARY $20,203,875

Denzel Ward 2022 BASE SALARY $1,035,000​

2023 BASE SALARY $4,041,000
2024 BASE SALARY $15,324,000
It's the year 2022. Facts are not going to change someone's feelings when they have already decided what they want to hear. This narrative will not die no matter the source, so floating somewhere between openly mocking and ignoring seems appropriate. Until the tolling terms of his contract become first relevant and then public any criticism is pure nonsense.

Much as I like the boards, I'd be on board for taking them down again until after this is resolved.

Most players are good people and don’t give a crap about the discipline policies when it comes time to negotiate - they only care about the financials. In this case I’m sure most of the players, especially the ones with wives and daughters think Watson is a scumbag who deserves what he gets.

That plus $230M guaranteed might make the locker room a little uncomfortable.

Contract extensions the Cleveland Browns have made with top paid players show the same low base salary the first year with significant increases afterward.
All guaranteed contracts are guaranteed, all of the top paid players on the Browns sign similar deals and the same applies to every NFL team.
They construct extensions with low base salaries the first year in order to spread out the high guaranteed signing bonus over the life of the contract.
Its SOP for EVERY NFL team seeking to spread the cap hit out over the life of the contract.

Nick Chubb​

It's the year 2022. Facts are not going to change someone's feelings when they have already decided what they want to hear. This narrative will not die no matter the source, so floating somewhere between openly mocking and ignoring seems appropriate. Until the tolling terms of his contract become first relevant and then public any criticism is pure nonsense.
I wanted to point out that DeShaun Watson's contract was in no way a surprise to Roger Goodell and the NFL FO because they sign off on all these contracts and were well aware of how Cleveland and Watson were entering into this deal even though Cleveland had no obligation to renegotiate with Watson.

-Goodell did not have the wool pulled over his eyes with Watson being paid a salary of just $1M to start in '22. I will repeat that most of this charade is an elaborate hoax IMO. I don't believe Goodell, Cleveland, Watson or anyone with true knowledge of the situation is in the dark about the eventual outcome here.

The NFLPA didn't bat an eye when a "1st time" offender got handed 6 games. I'm sure if the suspension is double there will be some outcry or tough talk but I don;'t see it going very far.

Jimmy G will be a free agent and could take a pretty talented Browns team to the Playoffs IMHO...whether the Browns want to travel down that road or invite some more of the circus into town is anyone's guess but if I were the owner and /or the HC and already sunk $230M into the QB spot, I would try and make a lucrative 1 year deal to Jimmy G and see if he would like to prove himself one more time and then perhaps go cash in...or maybe he already is going to get a truckload when SF releases him later this month.

Nick Chubb​

I wanted to point out that DeShaun Watson's contract was in no way a surprise to Roger Goodell and the NFL FO because they sign off on all these contracts and were well aware of how Cleveland and Watson were entering into this deal even though Cleveland had no obligation to renegotiate with Watson.

-Goodell did not have the wool pulled over his eyes with Watson being paid a salary of just $1M to start in '22. I will repeat that most of this charade is an elaborate hoax IMO. I don't believe Goodell, Cleveland, Watson or anyone with true knowledge of the situation is in the dark about the eventual outcome here.

The NFLPA didn't bat an eye when a "1st time" offender got handed 6 games. I'm sure if the suspension is double there will be some outcry or tough talk but I don;'t see it going very far.

Jimmy G will be a free agent and could take a pretty talented Browns team to the Playoffs IMHO...whether the Browns want to travel down that road or invite some more of the circus into town is anyone's guess but if I were the owner and /or the HC and already sunk $230M into the QB spot, I would try and make a lucrative 1 year deal to Jimmy G and see if he would like to prove himself one more time and then perhaps go cash in...or maybe he already is going to get a truckload when SF releases him later this month.
I'm not interested in trading for Jimmy G, but if the NFL rules 10 or 12 games then I could be convinced in free agent Jimmy G in a few weeks. I think 6-7 wins or so with him is reasonable and I'm not expecting a lucrative contract to be necessary, but I don't want him as a starter in January. I'm ambivalent about him if the ruling is indefinite or season (plus) though. I'll still watch and convince December MAC this team can win with him, but August MAC knows better. Jimmy's a viable bridge, but that's it.

I'm not interested in trading for Jimmy G, but if the NFL rules 10 or 12 games then I could be convinced in free agent Jimmy G in a few weeks. I think 6-7 wins or so with him is reasonable and I'm not expecting a lucrative contract to be necessary, but I don't want him as a starter in January. I'm ambivalent about him if the ruling is indefinite or season (plus) though. I'll still watch and convince December MAC this team can win with him, but August MAC knows better. Jimmy's a viable bridge, but that's it.
I have trouble seeing a free agent Garappolo choose to sign with Cleveland. There is 0% chance of a long term future there for him.

If he becomes a FA I think other teams with less certainty about their long term QB situation, like Seattle, being far more likely than Cleveland.

I have trouble seeing a free agent Garappolo choose to sign with Cleveland. There is 0% chance of a long term future there for him.

If he becomes a FA I think other teams with less certainty about their long term QB situation, like Seattle, being far more likely than Cleveland.
If I am wrong then so be it, but I don't think any team sees him as a long term solution at QB and that will play itself out in his contract offers in this hypothetical scenario. Should it come to fruition then it'd behoove him to go to the best situation, so he can parlay 2022 into another contract beginning in 2023 - whether that is with the team he signs with or elsewhere. Because of that I think a team like the Giants would serve as a greater threat than Seattle. I think the Seahawks may have this worst roster in the entire league and that's before considering their QB.

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns will consider acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo if Deshaun Watson’s six-game suspension significantly increases upon appeal, league sources tell cleveland.com.

I would take Kareem hunt for him right now.

If I am wrong then so be it, but I don't think any team sees him as a long term solution at QB and that will play itself out in his contract offers in this hypothetical scenario. Should it come to fruition then it'd behoove him to go to the best situation, so he can parlay 2022 into another contract beginning in 2023 - whether that is with the team he signs with or elsewhere. Because of that I think a team like the Giants would serve as a greater threat than Seattle. I think the Seahawks may have this worst roster in the entire league and that's before considering their QB.
Oh, I agree I'm just not sure Garappolo does.

If the Niners don't find a trade partner, IMO the best thing Garappolo could do is sign with the Rams. I think we're all more than a little concerned with whatever is going on with Stafford's elbow, but even if he holds up all season it would be a great opportunity for Garappolo and a great insurance policy for the Rams.

The Dolphins also make sense but that would all but crush Tua before the season even begins. Not sure Miami is willing to pull the pin on that grenade ATM.

By Mary Kay Cabot, cleveland.com CLEVELAND, Ohio — The Browns will consider acquiring Jimmy Garoppolo if Deshaun Watson’s six-game suspension significantly increases upon appeal, league sources tell cleveland.com.

Anything is possible but the Browns have already given up so much draft capital and cash to the QB position it's hard to see that happening.

I see it a little differently...pretty loaded team on Defense and a strong running game, he could take them into the Playoffs. I wouldn't dismiss a guy that played in a Super Bowl plus 2 NFCC in the last 3 seasons despite his shortcomings, there aren't many with that kind of experience walking the streets. Cleveland has the personnel to hand off 40x a game if they wanted to. I think the team can showcase his skills and set him up for a lucrative 2023 deal.

Since @MAC_32 said something about the amount of money, I think I have that figured out but it might not be the most popular.

2 yr/$30M total with that 2nd year having zero guaranteed money so both can just walk away. It's a chance for Jimmy G to walk on to a team ready to win right now. Otherwise he might end up where, Seattle? It doesn't make sense for a team that likely wants to tank(but not make it obvious) by not putting a tremendous product on the field next year and snag a Top 5 pick for one of numerous arms expected to come out in the 2023 Draft. There are not many suitors and I would look at the Miami Dolphins except they already have Teddy behind Tua and if Coach MM wanted JG then he would have had Miami just trade for him since there doesn't seem to be anyone else willing to part with the SF asking price which can't be a whole lot right now.

We know that nobody will pay him $25M seemingly but what about $15M? There's a number in there that makes teams want to run to sign him, perhaps $15M is way overshooting it but I have a feeling that's about the right number.

I'd prefer him in teal n orange myself...he would jump to RB1 status, Chase isn't as good IMO.
Several teams should be inquiring but since Miami has lost their 1st Rd pick they better try hard to make it No 32 overall next year and Hunt would take this offense up another notch.

I'd prefer him in teal n orange myself...he would jump to RB1 status, Chase isn't as good IMO.
Several teams should be inquiring but since Miami has lost their 1st Rd pick they better try hard to make it No 32 overall next year and Hunt would take this offense up another notch.
Miami already has 17 running backs! You don’t need an 18th! :rant:

Miami already has 17 running backs! You don’t need an 18th! :rant:
And 15-16 of them are turds. He would vault into the #1 spot immediately IMHO.

I see it a little differently...pretty loaded team on Defense and a strong running game, he could take them into the Playoffs. I wouldn't dismiss a guy that played in a Super Bowl plus 2 NFCC in the last 3 seasons despite his shortcomings, there aren't many with that kind of experience walking the streets. Cleveland has the personnel to hand off 40x a game if they wanted to. I think the team can showcase his skills and set him up for a lucrative 2023 deal.

Since @MAC_32 said something about the amount of money, I think I have that figured out but it might not be the most popular.

2 yr/$30M total with that 2nd year having zero guaranteed money so both can just walk away. It's a chance for Jimmy G to walk on to a team ready to win right now. Otherwise he might end up where, Seattle? It doesn't make sense for a team that likely wants to tank(but not make it obvious) by not putting a tremendous product on the field next year and snag a Top 5 pick for one of numerous arms expected to come out in the 2023 Draft. There are not many suitors and I would look at the Miami Dolphins except they already have Teddy behind Tua and if Coach MM wanted JG then he would have had Miami just trade for him since there doesn't seem to be anyone else willing to part with the SF asking price which can't be a whole lot right now.

We know that nobody will pay him $25M seemingly but what about $15M? There's a number in there that makes teams want to run to sign him, perhaps $15M is way overshooting it but I have a feeling that's about the right number.
I doubt Jimmy would want anything more than a one-year contract. By setting it up as a two-year contract, Garoppolo could end up getting traded instead of becoming a free agent next year, which would put him in a similar awkward situation he's in now. If SFO releases him, he won't receive any leftover guaranteed money, so it's unlikely he will want to play for chump change.

On the flip side, maybe when we approach cut down day, the Niners would consider taking less in a trade (and paying some of his salary). Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick and including $8 million with JG might make more sense than flat out releasing him. I only bring this up because that might get other teams interested. If he got released, it's possible there could be other suitors as well.

I doubt Jimmy would want anything more than a one-year contract. By setting it up as a two-year contract, Garoppolo could end up getting traded instead of becoming a free agent next year, which would put him in a similar awkward situation he's in now. If SFO releases him, he won't receive any leftover guaranteed money, so it's unlikely he will want to play for chump change.

On the flip side, maybe when we approach cut down day, the Niners would consider taking less in a trade (and paying some of his salary). Maybe a 4th or 5th round pick and including $8 million with JG might make more sense than flat out releasing him. I only bring this up because that might get other teams interested. If he got released, it's possible there could be other suitors as well.
I'm not sure anyone is offering much in trade for Garappolo. If Cleveland could only get a 5th for Mayfield and his $18mil guarantee, what could the Niners reasonably expect for Garappolo and his $25mil guarantee?

I'm not sure anyone is offering much in trade for Garappolo. If Cleveland could only get a 5th for Mayfield and his $18mil guarantee, what could the Niners reasonably expect for Garappolo and his $25mil guarantee?
Is something more than nothing? Would getting a 5th back for JG and $8 million be worth it? I don't know if it is or not, just floating it out as an option. Is one year of Jimmy worth more, less, or the same as one year of Baker? At least Garoppolo has a 33-14 record as a starter in the regular season and is 4-2 in the playoffs (going to 2 NFCC games and a SB).

Jimmy is due about $25M and only costs the Niners $1.5m or less to simple release him and that is the main reason they can't even get a half loaf of bread for him right now. And it would be a terrible move to pay half his salary or more trying to recoup say a 5th or 6th, just doesn't work IMO.

Jimmy is due about $25M and only costs the Niners $1.5m or less to simple release him and that is the main reason they can't even get a half loaf of bread for him right now. And it would be a terrible move to pay half his salary or more trying to recoup say a 5th or 6th, just doesn't work IMO.
If he hadn’t had shoulder surgery right at the beginning of the off-season, I’m reasonably certain he would be a panther right now

Teams can get creative. Maybe the Niners pay some of his salary. Maybe JG gives back some money. Maybe the Niners could get a pick back like, I dunno, Cleveland did with Baker. It could happen. The Browns shipped Mayfield and $10.5 million to Carolina for a 4th / 5th (depending on playing time). Baker converted $3.5 million of guaranteed money into incentives to get the deal done.

As I just posted above, would Jimmy G. have more, less, or the same trade value as Mayfield? I suspect the Niners wanted a real pick (first or second) and would not entertain paying some of his salary. If they are willing to revisit both of those, perhaps someone would be willing to trade for him?

There is no incentive for Garappolo to reduce his salary at this point. My guess is he has been approached about that by the Niners and told them to pound sand.

Any team that truly wants him in trade will likely try to negotiate compensation with him prior to making the deal. If he thinks his best career move is to get waived and sign where he wants rather than get traded the Browns, or Dolphins etc then he can likely sink any potential trade by refusing to renegotiate his 2022 salary.

I think he gets waived and if I was a betting man I think he ends up in Seattle or with the Rams.

The Associated Press reports Deshaun Watson has proposed accepting an eight-game suspension and $5 million fine to "avoid missing the entire season."​

Beyond the lenient six-game suspension handed down by the independent arbitrator, the league was put off by how small Watson's lost salary would be because of the cynical way the Browns structured his contract, with only a $1.035 million salary for 2022. Watson now seems to realize that was counterproductive by his team and agent, but this is a peace offering that will go nowhere. The league has made it clear it is seeking at least a one-year ban, and Watson is not going to buy his way out of it.
SOURCE: Associated Press
Aug 11, 2022, 6:15 PM ET

You have a great imagination.

You have a great imagination.
Oh no - it seems the ignore feature didn’t import with the rest of the old site. Ah well, easily remedied.

Not sure why you’re white knighting Obie Wan or what you think I’m imagining, but no concern. Off to block you I go. Toodles!

Last edited:

The Associated Press reports Deshaun Watson has proposed accepting an eight-game suspension and $5 million fine to "avoid missing the entire season."​

Beyond the lenient six-game suspension handed down by the independent arbitrator, the league was put off by how small Watson's lost salary would be because of the cynical way the Browns structured his contract, with only a $1.035 million salary for 2022. Watson now seems to realize that was counterproductive by his team and agent, but this is a peace offering that will go nowhere. The league has made it clear it is seeking at least a one-year ban, and Watson is not going to buy his way out of it.
SOURCE: Associated Press
Aug 11, 2022, 6:15 PM ET
Well this just took a turn toward the WTF.

There’s no way Goodell is going to accept this. :lol:

Absolutely cuckoo bananapants

Can someone explain why the league is going so much harder at Watson when compared to Kamara’s situation?
It doesn’t make sense. Kamara and his boys beat the crap out of a guy (which is probably on video but the NFL is doing their best to not have it released) and Kamara was criminally charged. For Watson, no criminal charges (yes, he did settle with a bunch of women).

Is it mostly because Kamara is a bigger star and more popular with the fans?

Can someone explain why the league is going so much harder at Watson when compared to Kamara’s situation?
It doesn’t make sense. Kamara and his boys beat the crap out of a guy (which is probably on video but the NFL is doing their best to not have it released) and Kamara was criminally charged. For Watson, no criminal charges (yes, he did settle with a bunch of women).

It's a good question and I am sure a lot of has to do with the fact that the Watson case is much higher profile. It damages the Shield more every time people talk about it. No one is talking about Kamara.

However that logic is also a bit reductive. Let's not ignore that Watson has demonstrated a clear pattern of predatory behavior and shown zero remorse. Heck he doesn't seem to think he ever did anything wrong in any of the 60+ massages he solicited over the 12-18 month time frame.

It is fair to consider that Watson may continue some form of predation, which would further tarnish the Shield absent a severe kick in the nads.

Kamara is still in limbo so let's not assume he'll get off easier.

Doesn’t the NFL usually let the criminal proceedings play out before acting? They may put him on the exempt list I suppose.

Doesn’t the NFL usually let the criminal proceedings play out before acting? They may put him on the exempt list I suppose.
Yep - they’ve cited that policy numerous times with regard to AK.

They waited for the Watson circus to finish the GJ, so they’re being consistent.

Only in FF is AK bigger than Watson. Watson was bigger in college than AK is now. Before all this, including his hold out, he was basically just below the truly elite celebrities. If anything, Watson’s alleged offenses are just more discussion worthy.

Really?

Users who are viewing this thread