What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (11 Viewers)

I have him rostered behind Allen because +QBs are scarce this year and I don't want to be staring him down in the play-offs.
Same, but I didn't add him until late October. I sat on him in my 2 QB league from the outset, but he was drafted in my other single QB redraft - I wasn't dealing with that dead roster spot for 12 weeks. We'll see if it was worth it in my 2 QB league, but if I fall short of the playoffs it's more because of my 2nd drafted QB (Matt Ryan) than him.

Murray on a bye, going to start him Week 13

Houston is 30th in FF points allowed to QBs, in part because of how bad they are at stopping the run

low expectations but even in a single QB league not much on the WW (Mariota v PIT, Mac Jones v BUF, Dalton @ TB, Ryan @ DAL, White @ MIN)

I only have him in my 2 qb super flex league so have to decide between him/carr/prescott

Juicy matchup
Similar - tannehill, Brady and Watson. I think I’m benching him the first game but undecided. Also have Mike white, who might actually be the better start 🤔

Last edited:

Browns QB Deshaun Watson has been officially reinstated from his 11-game suspension.​

Watson will start for the Browns against the Texans, taking on his former team in what will undoubtedly be the biggest storyline of Week 13. Watson gets one of the easiest matchups imaginable for his return. Even if he has some issues to iron out in his first game, the Browns will have no trouble leaning on the run against a woeful Texans defense. All Browns players see their fantasy stock boosted by Watson's return.
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Nov 28, 2022, 10:01 AM ET

So what happens if someway, somehow, he plays awful and loses to the Texans? Can you really keep starting a guy that lost to the texans over a guy that beat the bucs? haha

Saw a few reports that Buzbee is getting a suite and touting the fact that around 10 of Watson's accusers will be at the game. Some spiel about letting it be known they are still "here". Just seems weird to me. If you really got traumatized by sexual assault why on earth would you want to go watch that person play a football game?

Saw a few reports that Buzbee is getting a suite and touting the fact that around 10 of Watson's accusers will be at the game. Some spiel about letting it be known they are still "here". Just seems weird to me. If you really got traumatized by sexual assault why on earth would you want to go watch that person play a football game?
I could say something here but would be better in the ole PSF ... so 🤐

Did you see the protest at the games in Qatar? Similar logic I presume.

So what happens if someway, somehow, he plays awful and loses to the Texans? Can you really keep starting a guy that lost to the texans over a guy that beat the bucs? haha
0/12 with 4 picks (2 returned for TD) and benched for Jacobeef Brisket to start the second quarter would be pretty comical.

I stashed him a few weeks ago and have Murray on the bye. starting Watson and feel a bit dirty, not gonna lie. If I didn’t snag him someone else would though.

0/12 with 4 picks (2 returned for TD) and benched for Jacobeef Brisket to start the second quarter would be pretty comical.
This would have to happen like 4 games in a row for a change to be made.
Realistically, yeah. I was just trying to make it as awful as imaginable to warrant benching him immediately. Okay okay, 0/15 with 8 picks (6 for TD) and 2 lost fumbles.

From a strictly football standpoint, this couldn't be a better setup for Watson. Texans are a dumpster fire right now. Tua probably could have gone for 500 yards if Miami had wanted him to. I think the Browns are going to go out of their way to get Watson going in this one. I'm expecting something like 300-3, even if there is some rust. Texans are playing for the #1 pick.

From a strictly football standpoint, this couldn't be a better setup for Watson. Texans are a dumpster fire right now. Tua probably could have gone for 500 yards if Miami had wanted him to. I think the Browns are going to go out of their way to get Watson going in this one. I'm expecting something like 300-3, even if there is some rust. Texans are playing for the #1 pick.
I read about the dunking of QB's missing time and if there is a "rust" factor. Apparently not in all cases involving Luck, Vick, Manning and others. I'm going with D Watson this week in two leagues over Tua and Brady and Fields. It's a pretty big game for the entire Browns organization and protests will be seen in HOU. So be it, it's professional football time.

I read about the dunking of QB's missing time and if there is a "rust" factor. Apparently not in all cases involving Luck, Vick, Manning and others. I'm going with D Watson this week in two leagues over Tua and Brady and Fields. It's a pretty big game for the entire Browns organization and protests will be seen in HOU. So be it, it's professional football time.
Watson over Tua seems gutsy.
I don’t like starting him over Brady, white or Dalton 🤷 (SF)

Deshaun Watson’s Return Could Be a Living Nightmare for the Browns

Here’s a question I’ll bet the Browns have asked themselves only in the deepest corner of their darkest nightmares: Now that quarterback Deshaun Watson is returning from an 11-game suspension stemming from more than two dozen lawsuits detailing graphic accounts of sexual harassment and assault, what happens if he comes back and his play on the field isn’t worth the headaches and the moral contortions it took to get him to Cleveland?

While this sounds laughable, especially for a three-time Pro Bowler and college national champion who will start his career anew against the worst team in the NFL, let’s remove what we know about Watson the player from the equation for a moment and consider a view from 30,000 feet. Cleveland is essentially paying the richest contract in professional football history for a player who will be 700 days removed from playing in a regular-season game, in an offense he’s never operated, against defenses that are stylistically different from when he last played. This is not an effort to minimize the on-field successes Watson has had in the past (indeed, he had a passer rating of 112 with 33 touchdowns and seven interceptions without DeAndre Hopkins, knocking down one of the flimsier arguments against his failing in his return), but it has to be on the list of items Cleveland was willing to deal with when it crafted its pro/con list.

Watson succeeded in offenses heavily sampled from his time at Clemson, which, since Watson’s national championship, has sent dozens of players to the NFL. That offense and its intricacies have traveled far and wide. It is safe to say that what was potent in 2020 is not going to be as explosive in ’23. While not unique to Watson, think of the run-pass option, for example, which was so wicked five years ago that it jet-fueled an Eagles’ run to the Super Bowl with Carson Wentz and Nick Foles. The RPO has evolved multiple times in order to survive in a typical NFL playbook. Watson is joining an offense that heavily samples from the Gary Kubiak tree, which is adjacent to, and perhaps growing parallel to, the Kyle Shanahan tree. While not a true outside-zone system, the Browns draw from its principles.

So Watson will step on the field Sunday in a world where the system, or a relative of said system, is run by more than half the teams in the NFL. It will be studied, thoroughly, by every defensive coordinator in the NFL. What percentage of NFL coaches are still relevant, schematically, three years after their hiring? And of those who still are relevant, what percentage of them are Hall of Famers? What are the chances Cleveland is able to retain Bill Callahan, now 65 and one of the most sought-after offensive line coaches, year after year, in the NFL and as instrumental to whatever success the Browns have had as anyone in the building, deep into Watson’s contract to help keep the offense and its potent line working the way it should? What are the chances the Browns can continue to support one of the most expensive offensive lines in the sport (and their left tackle is still on a rookie contract, which will almost assuredly put them in the top three of positional spending) once the real portion of Watson’s contract tolls?

Watson was also dominant during an era of Seahawks-inspired Cover 3 defenses, which seemed to suffer against quarterbacks who could artfully extend plays. The league, during his absence, has almost exclusively shifted toward more of a big-play prevention defense, the likes of which we most commonly see run by Vic Fangio and his coaching tree. Watson faced a defense coached by Fangio once during his NFL career before his absence and suspension. He went 28-of-50 (56% completion rate) for 292 yards, one touchdown and two interceptions. It was the second-worst game in terms of quarterback rating he played in all season.

Of course all of these statistics and comparisons are conditional. Most of the sample sizes are small. I’m sure this headline will be used by the hive of Watson supporters who take to the internet and try to topple any piece of information that somehow paints their quarterback in a negative light (they’ve been busy), especially if Watson comes out and delivers as a player.

What we know for certain is there was a period of time when Watson was a great quarterback. It’s the entirety of the Browns’ plan, which hinges on Watson being so unbelievably good for so long that we forget about the circumstances by which they signed him and then protected him from financial loss with a creative structuring of his contract. What are the chances of Watson being so transcendently awesome, percentage-wise, versus the chances of Cleveland simply coming upon a good quarterback with no personal baggage, either via the draft or free agency, between 2021 and opening day ’23? What would have happened had they set their sights elsewhere and not, as GM Andrew Berry put it, gone on an “odyssey” to learn about Watson?

If Watson doesn’t play exceptionally well, history will thrash this organization (sadly, the Browns have already been forgiven by some NFL fans, and only losing will bring the appropriate wrath and proper hindsight). And the “success” bar here is a pretty high one to clear. I don’t mean for this to sound crude or flippant, but I think it’s fair to acknowledge that success makes it easier for misdeeds to get minimized in the public consciousness. That’s not fair; it’s just a reality. Again, it was likely a huge part of Cleveland’s plan. For Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger, it took a second Super Bowl before the pivot to lionize him began (and, again, please don’t mistake me saying this is right, or how it should be, or that anything on the field should ever discount the hard work necessary to rehabilitate and take accountability off the field).

Watson is also 0–2 lifetime against John Harbaugh and 0–1 lifetime against Mike Tomlin, coaches he will be facing twice a year into his early 30s.

While not an apt comparison in any way except in that they spent time away from football, both Watson and Michael Vick missed two years in their prime. Vick had one very good season for the remainder of his career, at age 30, when he led the Eagles to a 10–6 record. At the time, Vick also had a 22-year-old LeSean McCoy, a 24-year-old DeSean Jackson and a 22-year-old Jeremy Maclin at his disposal. Watson will be returning to the field with a 27-year-old Nick Chubb, a 28-year-old Kareem Hunt, a 32-year-old Joel Bitonio (arguably Cleveland’s best offensive lineman), a 29-year-old Wyatt Teller and a 29-year-old Jack Conklin. The Browns rely heavily on a running game to propel their system and will almost certainly need at least one new running back and several wide receivers to match the talent level Watson was accustomed to at both Clemson and in Houston in the coming years. We are also in the midst of seeing how quickly one quarterback on a sure-fire Hall of Fame trajectory, Russell Wilson, can look human once he is removed from his element, and once his physical skills decline even slightly to the point where he cannot operate in the manner with which he is accustomed.

If he makes the playoffs next year, well, so did Baker Mayfield in 2020. If he makes the playoffs two times in four years, never reaching a conference title game, as he did in Houston, would the Browns consider that “worth it” for the long-term damage sustained by the franchise?

If the Browns thought life as a lovable loser was difficult, imagine signing a player in the midst of dozens of sexual harassment and assault lawsuits and then having that player underperform in your stadium for years to come, making more money than any employee in the state. Imagine applying for a job with “2021—Cleveland Browns” on the résumé and having a hand in the personnel bucket.

All of us are regularly subjected to dreams and nightmares. The Browns, though, must eventually confront the idea that they could be living in the latter.

Watson over Tua seems gutsy.
I don’t like starting him over Brady, white or Dalton 🤷 (SF)
I'm waffling on Tua vs Watson, and then it's Watson, Brady, or now Fields in the mix. Brady will get dropped on Sunday so my opponent cannot scoop him.

Fresh legs, lively arm... weakest opponent in the NFL... revenge... QB1 this week.
Yeah, any debate whether to start him it’s mostly “rust vs show” unless you have an elite QB or just don’t want to start him (in which case you probably should trade him)

Have him in over Geno currently with Murray on a bye. Gonna have to say a few Heil Mary’s after this week is done 🫣

Two leagues, likely one start.

Watson > Fields > Brady

Watson = Tua but starting Chubb means starting Tua on the tiebreaker. Tua safer and SF D is good, but so is the MIA offense. Entertaining game. CLE could be in full Chubb mode in the second half with some Hunt mixed in. Watson could likely throw 2 TD's, and even run one in. The second half game script who knows?

I have Geno starting over him. I want the higher floor this week and Aaron Donald being out should also help.

How Watson played in that preseason game scares me. I would rather wait and see how he does this week before starting him.

How Watson played in that preseason game scares me. I would rather wait and see how he does this week before starting him.
Prudent.
He was 1 of 5 for 7 yards but the stat that I don't like is that of those 5 pass attempts there were 2 drops.
Caught a short clip of practice this week with 3 pass attempts from Watson. Reports all-week said he looked sharp and accurate but in that short clip of 3 pass attempts 2 were clear drops of accurate passes.
It is not a one-way street of the QB having to adjust.
How the ball comes off of the QB, the spin, angle, velocity will have to be adjusted to by the WRs/TEs/RBs.
I anticipate more than a few drops of accurate passes till the receivers adjust to Watson.

second highest (active players) career PPG in FF behind only Mahomes
Add that to the study on other QB's with time off and "rust." Well, I learned that Luck, Vick, and P Manning all produced admirably in their first game back and only got better. I say D Watson is a professional and does the same. The only question is the second half and game script.

The NFL said if any new victims come forward...and I think that happens this weekend. The setting is so hollywood-esque perfect for this scenario that ...I don't want to discuss his garbage curse word again. I'll be surprised if this doesn't happen this weekend.

Anywho,....
Why didn't the Browns sign Fuller and give him the same playing time window? He could have had all this time to work with trainers and rebuild his technique, physique, diet, and workout routine. They could have worked out with Deshaun not at the team facility too. Teams put way more effort into developing some raw WR prospect drafted in the seventh round than a dozen weeks with trainers and medical personnel. They should have adopted this project.

I also can't get past that this is the Browns and they're not allowed to have nice things expression. Idk how or what but I feel bad for all their fans fighting doubt and fearing a 250mil cap hit ensuring struggle if he doesn't pan out. Whew this is a big weekend for them. For them, for them, I hope it's event free and Watson plays well. They sure have "paid their dues" and deserve a nice thing for a change. I feel for them and I wish their fans the best.

The only question is the second half and game script.
I was thinking of this and while I'm sure the Browns don't have goal to embarrass the Texans and would in fact want to refrain from doing or appearing to do that I think it's possible they continue a fairly heavy passing attack later in the game, even with a lead, as a means to help Watson shed some rust.

Also I think this could be a good game for some rushing by Watson. My theory being there will be more times then normal where Watson may not be on the same page with his pass catchers, when the play breaks down, and he'll just tuck it and run.

Also regarding the rust. I know this is a longer absence but Watson has suffered two ACL tears that knocked him out awhile. Again this is longer but he's kind of got some experience with extended layoffs.

Deshaun Watson completed 12-of-22 passes for 131 yards and one interception in Cleveland's 27-14, Week 13 win over the Texans.​

He added 21 rushing yards on seven attempts. Watson was throwing wormburners at key moments for the majority of the afternoon. His interception was lofted up blindly as the Texans managed a free rusher in his face in Cleveland's only red zone appearance of the day. The Browns franchise quarterback looked very much like a man who hadn't played NFL football in 700 days. Cleveland will head to Cincinnati with a faint playoff pulse for Week 14, but Watson will have to take a major step forward -- actually, backwards to his 2020 tape -- to be more than a backend QB1 for fantasy purposes.
Dec 4, 2022, 4:30 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread