What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (3 Viewers)

Why would any team offer multiple first round picks for a guy being accused of sexual misconduct by 22 different women?

Why would any team offer multiple first round picks for a guy being accused of sexual misconduct by 22 different women?
They wouldn't. Which is why Deshaun won't get traded until his legal matters/league status are settled and teams know exactly whether Deshaun will be available to play for them.

So last year the Texans were in a position to get an enormous return on Deshaun Watson before the sexual allegations came out. Two of the main teams interested in Deshaun were the Dolphins and Jets. They both had high 1st round picks, they both had multiple first round picks, they both were places Deshaun wanted to go, and they played in the same division so there was motivation to get Deshaun so the other team in the division wouldn't. Of course that all went away with the sexual allegations.

If we look forward to next off season and assume all legal matters have been resolved (not necessarily a safe assumption but go with me on this), a similar dynamic may be occurring. The Giants and Eagles both have multiple first round picks. Both should end up below .500 so their picks will be in the top half of the first round. The Giants own the Bears 1st round pick so that could be a fairly high pick. Both teams have QB's who they may not want to continue with after this season, depending on how they play the rest of the season. They obviously play in the same division so that gives each incentive to not let the other team get him. The only snag in this (other than the legal matters not being concluded or penalties relating to the legal matters being severe) for the Texans could be that apparently per unknown sources, Deshaun would veto a trade to Philadelphia. I just found it interesting that a once in a lifetime scenario, if you have to trade your young, top 5 franchise QB, is possibly lining up to happen again. 

So last year the Texans were in a position to get an enormous return on Deshaun Watson before the sexual allegations came out. Two of the main teams interested in Deshaun were the Dolphins and Jets. They both had high 1st round picks, they both had multiple first round picks, they both were places Deshaun wanted to go, and they played in the same division so there was motivation to get Deshaun so the other team in the division wouldn't. Of course that all went away with the sexual allegations.

If we look forward to next off season and assume all legal matters have been resolved (not necessarily a safe assumption but go with me on this), a similar dynamic may be occurring. The Giants and Eagles both have multiple first round picks. Both should end up below .500 so their picks will be in the top half of the first round. The Giants own the Bears 1st round pick so that could be a fairly high pick. Both teams have QB's who they may not want to continue with after this season, depending on how they play the rest of the season. They obviously play in the same division so that gives each incentive to not let the other team get him. The only snag in this (other than the legal matters not being concluded or penalties relating to the legal matters being severe) for the Texans could be that apparently per unknown sources, Deshaun would veto a trade to Philadelphia. I just found it interesting that a once in a lifetime scenario, if you have to trade your young, top 5 franchise QB, is possibly lining up to happen again. 

Where there's 22 separate accusers, there is fire. We'll see how it plays, but your base assumption seems like a long shot from where we sit right now.

Where there's 22 separate accusers, there is fire. We'll see how it plays, but your base assumption seems like a long shot from where we sit right now.

Perhaps. The fact that no criminal charges have been filed yet, leads me to believe that their is not enough evidence for a DA to convict. Not saying he didn't do it, but most of the allegations are he said/she said which makes reasonable doubt very possible depending on the testimony. Also, I think the civil lawsuits will go away if Deshaun throws enough money at them, which in the long run may be to his benefit. 

Exactly. If Watson were released by the Texans tomorrow (won't happen, but just go with it for now) I think it would be tough for teams to take the PR hit of signing him. This isn't Kareem Hunt, where he was accused of doing one bad thing and then apologized for it. He has continued to deny the accusations, which is understandable because, if they're true, he's an incredibly creepy sexual predator. It's one of those things where, even if he admitted it, it would be incredibly difficult for people to get past.

Now, would a team sign him as a free agent? Yeah, probably, because in the NFL cynicism knows no bounds as long as you can still play. But it would be a real tough decision, the owner would have to sign off on it, etc. Basically, the Vick-to-Eagles situation on steroids (because Vick could at least say he had served his time, plus as much as people love dogs, sexual predation is going to be way more of a dealbreaker).

OK, now let's return to the real world, where everything I just said is true, but the team getting Watson also has to give away multiple draft picks, mortgage their future, and make him the face of the franchise. There's just no way it's going to happen. And if the Dolphins in particular did it now it would be seen as a move borne of desperation.

The one and only question I'm interested in, is will Watson be able to play this year or not? What is the best guess about this?

The one and only question I'm interested in, is will Watson be able to play this year or not? What is the best guess about this?
Based on the Texans willingness to keep Watson inactive and eat his contract, and the reported asking price, I do not think it is likely that he plays this year. 

An obvious fit is PITT and it would fit their pattern of starting an alleged sexual assault offender at QB. 😃

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the Texans willingness to keep Watson inactive and eat his contract, and the reported asking price, I do not think it is likely that he plays this year. 

An obvious fit is PITT and it would fit their pattern of starting an alleged sexual assault offender at QB. 😃

Agreed that it is unlikely Deshaun plays this season. Even if he were traded by the trade deadline and his new team tried to play him, I think it would be likely that the NFL would put him on the Commissioner's exempt list with the court cases still out there. 

I think he gets traded to Miami or Philadelphia and plays right away. 
As much I like this possibility, what are the realistic probabilities of him playing this year or next? 

I just picked him up as a "throw in" on a deal.  

How little info has been shared recently, was he trying to "settle out of court" and face a smaller league penalty? 

I’ve started shopping for him in 2qb leagues where my team isn’t strong and I’m playing for next year. He’ll be back under center next year at the latest. He’s worth the gamble.

I’ve started shopping for him in 2qb leagues where my team isn’t strong and I’m playing for next year. He’ll be back under center next year at the latest. He’s worth the gamble.
Some recent Trade Rumor being "day to day" 

When asked what's going to happen with Watson, McNair made it clear that general manager Nick Caserio is in charge of that, but he also added that it's a "day-to-day" situation. 

FWIW - I cut him in my 16-team contract keeper league for Winston. My starter has been Stafford who has been working out just fine of course. Watson was in the last year of his contract on my team with no extension available. I had been holding out hope he would be traded by now, but with bye weeks starting up starting QBs are going to find their way onto rosters.

Unconfirmed reports that owner Stephen Ross has demanded that the front office make a trade for DeShaun Watson immediately. 

Dan Sileo is reporting this and he is saying that on Monday obviously today that Miami is going to make their offer to Houston. 

What's odd is that it seems to be leaking out, I would think these two teams have already spoken, the way this is being reported, it sounds like Miami is telling the media before they ever speak to Houston which is ridiculous. 

Still, it feels like Miami is desperate and needs to do something. 

Unconfirmed reports that owner Stephen Ross has demanded that the front office make a trade for DeShaun Watson immediately. 

Dan Sileo is reporting this and he is saying that on Monday obviously today that Miami is going to make their offer to Houston. 

What's odd is that it seems to be leaking out, I would think these two teams have already spoken, the way this is being reported, it sounds like Miami is telling the media before they ever speak to Houston which is ridiculous. 

Still, it feels like Miami is desperate and needs to do something. 

Desperate moves can get a team in BIG trouble.  A trade for Watson could hurt the Dolphins for years to come if it doesn't work out

I picked Waston up in a redraft league after Jay Glazer said to keep an eye on this.  Nothing for 2-3 weeks and I had him eyed to drop and of course more news without being news happens.

I wonder what the trade would be. Most likely Tua and probably a 1st with some guarantee if he never plays again

This could be a wild multiple team trade or set of trades but serious rumors are that Denver might get Tua. ETA-and now Washington rumored to be in the mix.

My best guess of what is going on now is that Houston and Miami are close to a deal but Miami wants to move Tua first and sounds like they are working on it now.

This may be a move for next year.  I have to imagine he immediately goes on the commissioner's exempt list the moment any team activates him.

Agreed. I thought the sentiment all along was that HOU was being proactive in keeping him off the field and that was the only thing keeping him off the exempt list. Legal proceedings scheduled for Q1 2022 IIRC?

Agreed. I thought the sentiment all along was that HOU was being proactive in keeping him off the field and that was the only thing keeping him off the exempt list. Legal proceedings scheduled for Q1 2022 IIRC?
Yup.

Florio has been harping for a while that any team that really wants Watson should make the deal now before QBs start moving around in the off-season creating more competition for teams seeking Watson.

The NFL has never put a player on exempt list that was not facing criminal charges and multiple reports have continued to come out during course of this that they plan to do nothing with Watson until at least the criminal investigation is complete.

He's going to get traded and he's going to play for his new team this year.

This could be a wild multiple team trade or set of trades but serious rumors are that Denver might get Tua. ETA-and now Washington rumored to be in the mix.

My best guess of what is going on now is that Houston and Miami are close to a deal but Miami wants to move Tua first and sounds like they are working on it now.
Tua could be reunited with Fitzmagic. That would actually be pretty great for them though, as its not shaping up to be a great draft class, and they likely won't pick high enough to have their choice of guys

How are the Dolphins giving up on Tua in less than 2 years? He really that bad, or an injury liability? lol

Forever haunted by the Herbert pick 

The NFL has never put a player on exempt list that was not facing criminal charges and multiple reports have continued to come out during course of this that they plan to do nothing with Watson until at least the criminal investigation is complete.

He's going to get traded and he's going to play for his new team this year.
If you have Will Fuller, keep him for one more week, just in case he comes back next week from IR and Watson comes to Miami.

How are the Dolphins giving up on Tua in less than 2 years? He really that bad, or an injury liability? lol

To those that say it's to early to give up on him I would ask what's the trait you've seen from him that is special or elite? I just don't think it's to early to say that while Tua might have some intangibles and leadership ability that makes him a solid NFL starting QB  he's just not elite and when you get a shot to get a proven young elite QB you take it. I think he's always going to be in that QB20+ range myself.

If this is all true of sending Watson to Miami, and I think it is, I'm less surprised that Miami is moving on from Tua as I am that Philly did not make the winning offer due to the capital they possess. How much Watson's trade veto power played a part in that is something I'd be curious to find out in time.

Be pretty good PR for Washington if they got Tua, as everybody is kinda rooting for him.

Some reason Denver doesn't seem like as good a fit, probably because Fangio is probably on the hot seat, where as Rivera feels pretty entrenched. 

To those that say it's to early to give up on him I would ask what's the trait you've seen from him that is special or elite? I just don't think it's to early to say that while Tua might have some intangibles and leadership ability that makes him a solid NFL starting QB  he's just not elite and when you get a shot to get a proven young elite QB you take it. I think he's always going to be in that QB20+ range myself.

If this is all true of sending Watson to Miami, and I think it is, I'm less surprised that Miami is moving on from Tua as I am that Philly did not make the winning offer due to the capital they possess. How much Watson's trade veto power played a part in that is something I'd be curious to find out in time.
I think the 1st round capital that Tua possesses means a lot more to GM's than the late 2nd round capital that Hurts possesses. Eagles do have amazing first round picks last year (maybe not the Colts). They get Watson for next year they could be back in business as a NFC east contender 

I heard 3-team deal with WFT involved and Tua going to D.C. 

🤷‍♂️

Same things we're talking here?

I think so. . Benjamin Allrbight and a few others are saying Denver is engaged, Allbright also said Washington was in the mix. And yes that's what I think the tweet about other teams potential involvement means.

Tua looks like he can be great to me. Great accuracy, very good pocket awareness and mobility to take advantage of it, good enough arm strength, and somehow hasn't gotten worse despite being in a terrible situation for a young QB with respect to protection, scheme and weapons.

The problem is the defense on the OL. Watson is better right now, but he's not fixing that, and it's probably going to cause a locker room meltdown. 

I think so. . Benjamin Allrbight and a few others are saying Denver is engaged, Allbright also said Washington was in the mix. And yes that's what I think the tweet about other teams potential involvement means.
Is it Hou-Mia-Den, Hou-Mia-Was

and what I'm asking or wondering is if a bidding war is about to break out or if Miami has a deal already set up. 

Tua No longer on Miami depth chart.... I think it's about to happen 

Edit: nevermind he is now back on. someone has to be f**king with everyone

Redraft......Do we need to pick Watson up, or doesn't he get to play..........and can we stomach what he is accused of doing?

Redraft......Do we need to pick Watson up, or doesn't he get to play..........and can we stomach what he is accused of doing?
I personally couldnt care less what a person does off the field WHEN I'm looking at fantasy football. Only thing that matters is if he is good or not.

With that said I can still not like him as a person

I personally couldnt care less what a person does off the field WHEN I'm looking at fantasy football. Only thing that matters is if he is good or not.

With that said I can still not like him as a person
I picked him up. We'll see what happens. I already feel dirty. I'm going to go home and hug my wife.

Would have to think Miami knows way more than the general public knows to be pursuing this, I doubt he's suspended at all, until something legally actually happens.

I have no real care fantasy wise, if my players are good people or not. I'm also not a judge or jury, so its really not my problem what anyone has done off the field. I personally won't be picking Watson up, but in my only redraft, I've got Dak and Burrow. 

Reports coming out that neither Houston or Denver is interested in Tua.

If this is going down, it sure seems like Washington would be Tua's landing spot, which is probably the best fit anyway, with a good OL, McLaurin,  and a stable coaching staff.

Would have to think Miami knows way more than the general public knows to be pursuing this, I doubt he's suspended at all, until something legally actually happens.

I have no real care fantasy wise, if my players are good people or not. I'm also not a judge or jury, so its really not my problem what anyone has done off the field. I personally won't be picking Watson up, but in my only redraft, I've got Dak and Burrow. 
I snagged him. I've got Brady and a bye coming up. If Watson comes out firing and putting up points this could be a free top 5 QB.

Users who are viewing this thread