What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Deshaun Watson, CLE (5 Viewers)

The problem isn't Tua.  Giving up on him after 13 games is kind of telling to where we are today.
With Tannehill it was 6 years before we gave up. But if a QB like Watson had been available, we would've pulled the trigger. Tannehill is succeeding because of elite talent around him in Henry and Brown. He also has a stronger arm and better mobility than Tua. 

MIA can win with Tua, but his upside is a  midrange QB like Bridgewater based on what I've seen thus far. I'm not sure why Watson wants to come to MIA given that the team has less talent on offense than PHI or CAR.

The last 2 losses were shared by a bad Dolphin defense, near last in most categories. Miami has many problems but elite QB play can mask many of them. That's the attraction for Watson. 

This is why Miami seems dysfunctional to me.  They have given up the second most points in the league.  Instead of trying to fix that (along with other problems) through the draft and thought out strategy, they just want a quick fix.  And don't they see how happy Watson has been when the organization doesn't put a strong team around him.  I'm a Jets fan so I want this trade to go through  so we aren't bottom of the division every year.

With Tannehill it was 6 years before we gave up. But if a QB like Watson had been available, we would've pulled the trigger. Tannehill is succeeding because of elite talent around him in Henry and Brown. He also has a stronger arm and better mobility than Tua. 

MIA can win with Tua, but his upside is a  midrange QB like Bridgewater based on what I've seen thus far. I'm not sure why Watson wants to come to MIA given that the team has less talent on offense than PHI or CAR.
You're kidding I hope. No offense to the Texans but that is a miserable place to live IMHO in Houston. Go there for a week or two and then come back to South Beach, and I don't put Miami as the best city in the country, it has a bunch of drawbacks however when you stack that place vs some of other major cities, and I've visited cities I enjoyed in Texas quite a bit but Houston is not one of them, sorry. 

You're kidding I hope. No offense to the Texans but that is a miserable place to live IMHO in Houston. Go there for a week or two and then come back to South Beach, and I don't put Miami as the best city in the country, it has a bunch of drawbacks however when you stack that place vs some of other major cities, and I've visited cities I enjoyed in Texas quite a bit but Houston is not one of them, sorry. 
Isn't Miami 0-7?

oops, my bad - 1-6

Last edited by a moderator:
travdogg said:
Honestly, Carolina needs him a hell of a lot more than Miami.

Tua>>>>Darnold

Also, Carolina might be a QB away from contending. Good young talent at WR, good young defense, elite RB(when healthy) creative playcaller. Put Watson on the Panthers they are a top-7 NFC team for sure. 

While true, the question is what they'd have to give up to get Watson too. Houston always said ideally it'd be a player and picks. I think the interesting wrinkle to how the Texans have played out this season thus far is the player almost certainly would have to be a franchise QB or a blossoming stud on a rookie deal. They're purging all of the vets worth anything and going into full fire sale/rebuild mode. 

The rock and hard place is that Watson has a no trade clause. 

Forget about which city has the prettiest girls/most masseuse per Capita.

Why would he agree to go to a team that completely depletes their roster?

Houston might get that monster deal, but probably better to wait till off-season

Tua also threw 2 INTs yesterday. And the 4 TDs were against a bad defense. He had a decent game last week versus a bad JAX defense with another bad INT thrown in. Tua is the level of Teddy Bridgewater - you can win with him if the pieces around him are good. Let's see how Tua does this week vs a very good BUF defense, hopefully with Fuller back. With Watson, I think Miami would've won 3 of the 4 close games. As it is, Tua gets credit for the close win at NE. 

The last 2 losses were shared by a bad Dolphin defense, near last in most categories. Miami has many problems but elite QB play can mask many of them. That's the attraction for Watson. 
Show me what’s virtually a rookie quarterback who doesn’t throw bad picks. 

Tua looks like Mahomes compared to Justin Fields. Should the Bears be in the mix trying to get Watson?

Tua also threw 2 INTs yesterday. And the 4 TDs were against a bad defense. He had a decent game last week versus a bad JAX defense with another bad INT thrown in. Tua is the level of Teddy Bridgewater - you can win with him if the pieces around him are good. Let's see how Tua does this week vs a very good BUF defense, hopefully with Fuller back. With Watson, I think Miami would've won 3 of the 4 close games. As it is, Tua gets credit for the close win at NE. 

I'll admit that maybe it just looks odd to see a quarterback throwing lefty but he just looks so awkward out there. His arm seems so weak and his body looks so frail. I get that it's still early in his career but I he reminds me a lot of Marcus Mariotta - a guy that can look good in spells but not a guy that can win consistently in the NFL.

Houston = my favorite place for work travel, one of my least favorite of where I have lived. 

Muggy and gross, but damn good food scene and kind people and good sports culture.

Show me what’s virtually a rookie quarterback who doesn’t throw bad picks. 

Tua looks like Mahomes compared to Justin Fields. Should the Bears be in the mix trying to get Watson?

Hell yes.

The reality is you don't pass up on a chance to get a 26 year old elite NFL QB.  If the teams really believe the off the field stuff won't be an issue, then this is a once in a generation opportunity.  Watson is a unicorn. 

Imagine if a 26 year old Aaron Rodgers became magically available 11 years ago and the Bucs were like "nah we're good, we've got Josh Freeman who has shown a lot of progress" and the Jets were all "no thanks, it's too early to throw in the towel on Mark Sanchez".

The problem isn't Tua.  Giving up on him after 13 games is kind of telling to where we are today.
That feels like a leap. Tua isn't being cancelled. The coaches, GMs & scouts that see him every day, watch film on him and who know much more about him than we MMQBs, think Deshaun >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Tua. That isn't a leap & it isn't an insult, it's a simple and obvious reality. Deshaun is a generational talent, Tua is not.

A team may be able to win with Tua but they may not win because of Tua. Maybe he's better than a Darnold or a Bridgewater but so far that also seems like an unsettled conversation at best.

If you can get a young generational QB you owe it to your fans to at least try.

It is not an indictment of Tua and has nothing to do with "the times we live in".

No state income tax.

I hope that is a joke.  If my franchise QB is making decisions on where to play based on saving 6% I wouldn't want him.  I want the guy who is looking at the team around him and cares about winning.  Saving that 6% isn't going to win them a SB.

I hope that is a joke.  If my franchise QB is making decisions on where to play based on saving 6% I wouldn't want him.  I want the guy who is looking at the team around him and cares about winning.  Saving that 6% isn't going to win them a SB.
Income tax <> Sales tax

Not at all a joke and professional athletes make that decision all the time. As do corporations when deciding where to headquarter. Anyone who has an opportunity to move somewhere new should consider tax burdens.

Deshaun is making $39 mil per year. That represents a #### ton of money.  For example Wisconsin has a 7.65% state income tax rate if you make over $1 mil. That translates to a little over $2.9 mil per year in state income taxes. Again, that's every year. In California his tax rate would be a little over 12% or roughly $4.8 mil per year in state income tax. At 6% it's a little over $2.3 mil per year.

It would be foolish not to consider taxes when making any financial decisions.

I'm sorry if I offend any Texans fans on here, but after Watson saw how they shipped out some of their best players over the years for peanuts, and how that team is a dumpster fire, can you really blame him for wanting out? I'd say anywhere else looks appealing compared to Houston right now. ESPECIALLY Miami or Carolina. 

I'm sorry if I offend any Texans fans on here, but after Watson saw how they shipped out some of their best players over the years for peanuts, and how that team is a dumpster fire, can you really blame him for wanting out? I'd say anywhere else looks appealing compared to Houston right now. ESPECIALLY Miami or Carolina. 

It's been a while since we Texans fans were upset over Watson wanting out. At that point, it was post Hopkins/Clowney deals where there was clear stupidity by BOB and signoff by ownership.

Texans are clearly in a complete burndown mode now though after JJ, McKinney, Mercilus and others have left the team. Now all we want is to not make another stupid value-lopsided trade like we saw with Hopkins/Clowney. Sooner we get picks back, the sooner the actual rebuild can begin.

None of us would be offended, many of us are close to giving up on the team after the series of bonehead moves by both BOB and the new regime. The original owners son who inherited the team has zero clue and has driven the team into the ground. They are so devoid of talent it’s like being an expansion team all over again.

All we can hope for is a haul of picks for Watson and that somehow this new regime either surprises us all or gets thrown out sooner rather than later. That and hope the Astros can win a Series without an asterisk.

The Houston Chronicle reported on Tuesday that the Dolphins and Texans have agreed to terms on a trade for QB Deshaun Watson, but the Dolphins want clarity on his legal issues before going through with it.

That means there is no timeline on when Watson could be a Dolphin, as there is no end in sight for his legal issues. Regardless, it's interesting to confirm that there have been talks and potentially even an agreement between the two sides on a deal to send Watson to Miami, even if nothing is imminent on account of the accusations levied toward the quarterback.

Speaking Tuesday, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell said the league does not have the necessary information to put Texans QB Deshaun Watson on the commissioner's exempt list.

That confirms Watson is eligible to play if he were to be traded, as has been the rumor around the league over the past week (and past few months, to be frank). The league appears to want no part of the Watson investigation, and it's one of the strangest situations in recent memory with Goodell and the NFL refusing to take action. There is no end in sight for this saga.

Chaka said:
Not at all a joke and professional athletes make that decision all the time. As do corporations when deciding where to headquarter. Anyone who has an opportunity to move somewhere new should consider tax burdens.

Deshaun is making $39 mil per year. That represents a #### ton of money.  For example Wisconsin has a 7.65% state income tax rate if you make over $1 mil. That translates to a little over $2.9 mil per year in state income taxes. Again, that's every year. In California his tax rate would be a little over 12% or roughly $4.8 mil per year in state income tax. At 6% it's a little over $2.3 mil per year.

Question is, can Watson keep his Texas home and stay a resident of Texas while playing elsewhere? I'm sure he'd have to somehow live in Texas half the year though, so I don't know if that is possible.

Here is what we know.

Seriously, we don't know anything.  The NFL should be ashamed of how they have handled this.  There is no chance that they would be letting Watson play right now, but they are not being forced to make any decision because Houston is more inept than the NFL is.  If I am an NFL team that is not inept, there is no chance that I enter into a deal for a player who has as many pending charges against him as Watson, nor without knowing exactly what the NFL is going to do in regards to player suspension. 

Given this, I'd be shocked if any deal is made.
Great post. The inactivity by the NFL and the Texans’ speaks loudly to their incompetence. Meanwhile Watson hauls in the $$$$ with zero injury/performance risk. 

Chaka said:

True.  Somethjng else: Florida housing near Miami is expensive, not much bang for the buck for big properties in nice locations.  Compared to Carolina for example.  Many football players live in west Broward suburbs.  And expensive insurance if you live near the coast. Income taxes may outweigh other financial factors. 

It doesn't apply to many current athletes, but Florida has the worst alimony laws for long term marriages. 

Question is, can Watson keep his Texas home and stay a resident of Texas while playing elsewhere? I'm sure he'd have to somehow live in Texas half the year though, so I don't know if that is possible.
Why? Florida doesn't have state income tax either.

True.  Somethjng else: Florida housing near Miami is expensive, not much bang for the buck for big properties in nice locations.  Compared to Carolina for example.  Many football players live in west Broward suburbs.  And expensive insurance if you live near the coast. Income taxes may outweigh other financial factors. 

It doesn't apply to many current athletes, but Florida has the worst alimony laws for long term marriages. 
NC may be a good balance I'm those regards. A very cursory examination of their income tax rates may put him in the 5.25% range but I am not at all certain about that.

MIA can win with Tua, but his upside is a  midrange QB like Bridgewater
Couldn't disagree with this more. Tua is a better QB than Bridgewater has ever been right now. He's not as good as Watson right now, but we will still suck if we trade for Watson. 

Not defending the Texans and the moves they have made, but Deshaun signed his big deal AFTER the Texans had gotten pennies on the dollar for the Clowney and Hopkins trades. So he kind of knew they were a dumpster fire and agreed to an extension with them anyway.

Sports players are very complex from a tax standpoint, they pay taxes based on where games are played (I.e. travel to a game in NY, pay taxes there for one game.) Half your games are at home? Half your taxes are paid in that state. I assume signing bonuses, etc. are based on home state of the team. Either way, it’s not an insubstantial consideration, and you often see Free Agents taking a states taxes it into account when weighing similar offers from different teams.

I would guess that Watson would weigh this amongst plenty of other factors. Given his dissatisfaction with the Texans GM and head coaching search along with the poor trades like sending away Hopkins simply due to personality conflicts, I would think one of his biggest concerns would be how his input is taken into consideration and how the organization treats its players. His dissatisfaction with the Texans brass and owner clearly will have him looking at the next organization closely. The last thing he wants is another set of hypocritical liars that tell him he would be included in the search and his input considered and then completely pulling a 180 and hiring Easterby’s guy at GM anyway and a Yes Man at head coach with no power.

man's making $39,000,000 a season and we're thinking cost of living and SALT are big factors?
He hasn’t made any of that big money from his extension yet. He’s made roughly $45MM so far over 4.5 years with half of that being his signing bonus last year, the big numbers on his extension don’t kick in until 2022.

I agree taxes are a minor consideration but it’s one he’ll likely think about at least among many factors, especially when he’s staring at likely multi-millions being paid out to settle his lawsuits.

He hasn’t made any of that big money from his extension yet. He’s made roughly $45MM so far over 4.5 years with half of that being his signing bonus last year, the big numbers on his extension don’t kick in until 2022.

I agree taxes are a minor consideration but it’s one he’ll likely think about at least among many factors, especially when he’s staring at likely multi-millions being paid out to settle his lawsuits.

This is a key component to Deshaun's financial future, making his big extension look a lot less big than when he signed it.

NFL Insider Josina Anderson reports the Dolphins have not met Houston's asking price for Deshaun Watson.

This contradicts a report from The Houston Chronicle, which reported the only hold up was the Dolphins wanting more clarity on Watson's legal situation. That is unlikely to come until the offseason, but Roger Goodell's comments on Tuesday suggested the league would not put Watson on the exempt list even if he is traded, seemingly giving Miami a little more security if they choose to make the deal. The trade deadline is next Tuesday. Expect several more contradictory reports between now and then as both sides angle for the best possible deal. 

SOURCE: Josina Anderson on Twitter

Oct 27, 2021, 12:12 PM ET

Chaka said:

It can and should be a factor.  If it is the main decision point as he alluded to I think that is a joke.  I want a QB that is looking at potential for team success and realizing that has a much bigger impact long term (both financial and personally).  Do you really think Tom Brady didn't look into what type of team he was joining and just did because of no state income tax?  That would be a joke.

It can and should be a factor.  If it is the main decision point as he alluded to I think that is a joke.  I want a QB that is looking at potential for team success and realizing that has a much bigger impact long term (both financial and personally).  Do you really think Tom Brady didn't look into what type of team he was joining and just did because of no state income tax?  That would be a joke.
While I agree, I don't think Brady is the best example considering he's already made hundred's of millions in his career and is married to someone worth half a billion.

Yes, it's a bummer to take a shower, go outside, and within a minute you need another shower.
I remember visiting relatives in Maryland as a kid. We’d go to the community swimming pool to refresh & cool off, sticking to the car seats on the way there, and 5 mins after the post-pool shower, we’d be just as hot & sticking to the car seats on the way home.

no thank you. 

so Mike Florio from ProFootballtalk seems to be making the rounds saying 95% chance he is traded before deadline... he a fool, or what?

skinsrule05 said:
Bottom like on the tax thing is that every player is within his rights to consider it. 

Just impossible for us to know how much of a factor it is for different people.  

so Mike Florio from ProFootballtalk seems to be making the rounds saying 95% chance he is traded before deadline... he a fool, or what?
PFT gets good info, but he's also not above clickbait. 

Users who are viewing this thread