What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Gardner Minshew II - LV (1 Viewer)

Indy is absolutely picking top-5 again (maybe that's the plan?) if they go with Minshew. He's a below average backup QB. I don't know how he has so much support. Dude had an ok rookie season, where he put up solid numbers in mostly garbage time and has been bad or worse since. He was horrific when Hurts was out last year. Eagles lost 3 regular season games last year, and were 0-2 in Minshew's only starts, and both losses were on him.

A-F scale, Minshew is very much a D-, having said, that he's probably better than Ehlinger or Foles, I doubt very much he'll be any better than Ryan.
Ya the minshew act was cool for a bit but it's hit a wall.
I’m a little behind, so what is his act?

Indy is absolutely picking top-5 again (maybe that's the plan?) if they go with Minshew. He's a below average backup QB. I don't know how he has so much support. Dude had an ok rookie season, where he put up solid numbers in mostly garbage time and has been bad or worse since. He was horrific when Hurts was out last year. Eagles lost 3 regular season games last year, and were 0-2 in Minshew's only starts, and both losses were on him.

A-F scale, Minshew is very much a D-, having said, that he's probably better than Ehlinger or Foles, I doubt very much he'll be any better than Ryan.
Ya the minshew act was cool for a bit but it's hit a wall.
I’m a little behind, so what is his act?
Really? Well maybe act is the wrong word, maybe just his hyped personality. Not saying it's bad, he just was known for his personality more than his play. And once his play finally did the talking last year, it was not good. He's a good dude but don't think he's a very good qb.

Wonder if the former Eagles assistant coaches have helped put together a gentleman’s agreement if the qb Indy wants doesn’t go top 2.

Wonder if the former Eagles assistant coaches have helped put together a gentleman’s agreement if the qb Indy wants doesn’t go top 2.
Explain further
I think he’s saying that maybe the Colts and Cardinals already have a deal worked out for the Colts to move up to 3 to get their QB if the one they want doesn’t go Top 2.
Or maybe he’s saying the Cards new HC told the Colts HC they’re not taking a QB or trading out so stand pat. The former seems more likely.

Explain further
I think he’s saying that maybe the Colts and Cardinals already have a deal worked out for the Colts to move up to 3 to get their QB if the one they want doesn’t go Top 2.
Or maybe he’s saying the Cards new HC told the Colts HC they’re not taking a QB or trading out so stand pat. The former seems more likely.

Yes trade up to 3 if their guy is there

The Indianapolis Star’s Nate Atkins believes Gardner Minshew has a “chance” to start Week 1.

Atkins said on Monday’s Rotoworld Football Show that the Colts used minicamp to see how much Anthony Richardson could handle. Colts coaches “stressed him from the jump” with rapid fire play recall and various offensive formations. If Richardson needs time to adjust to the pro game, Atkins said Minshew would step in and start early in the season until Richardson is ready to roll. “It’s trending toward Anthony’s job Week 1, but I don’t think it’s a guarantee because they need to have someone who is ready to run the entire playbook,” Atkins said. “Gardner is way ahead in terms of knowing the playbook” because he has familiarity with head coach Shane Steichen’s offensive scheme. Expect Richardson to continue to be drafted as if he gets the Week 1 nod.

When Richardson struggles in preseason Minshew's value will.go up.
It's worth a three week ride at the end of your roster

The 4th pick in the draft will have an insanely long leash once he gets his opportunity, and even if he fails or they want to develop Richardson from the bench for a while, what is Minshew’s upside in Indy? In 1QB leagues that’s a hard pass for me.

I have been grabbing Minshew any time I take Anthony Richardson in best ball. I like the combination of those two guys and they are pretty cheap.

The 4th pick in the draft will have an insanely long leash once he gets his opportunity, and even if he fails or they want to develop Richardson from the bench for a while, what is Minshew’s upside in Indy? In 1QB leagues that’s a hard pass for me.
Minshew's upside is meh. He needs to go elsewhere to start was a mindset years ago but he's pretty firmly entrenched as a backup in the league now. Maybe he can get hot again and change that but all in all I think he's simply a good backup from here on.

Once he gets his opportunity is loaded though. We've seen how Eli stunk or Malik Willis stunk despite his athleticism and how Rodgers rocked from day one.

Ya gotta see how Richardson does in preseason. The Colts are not going to do anything stupid like put him out there to be sacked ten times a game or after an awful preseason play him more and wreck his confidence.

I have been grabbing Minshew any time I take Anthony Richardson in best ball. I like the combination of those two guys and they are pretty cheap.
What do you think of their targets?
I've thought of this and don't have enough confidence in them to do this. I like this WR for this and that WR for that but all in all I don't feel like they've put it together yet. Pittman has more catches with "nice play call there" or "defense was sleeping" then just lets rely on him as a #1. I don't see an IT factor from him yet but also would be fine saying this is his year. Imo he still needs a bit more to be the alpha. Last year's rookie was decent. I'm sick of their TEs. For a long long time, I've thought the Colts have no clue how to use a TE. They always seem to have nice athletes there but refuse to let them be the QBs panic option or have them simply body a defender and fire it in. A TE should have X number of tough catches in traffic. There's always something off with how they use em versus how the rest of the league does

Minshew's upside is meh

You are talking real life upside, however I see fantasy upside with him. I started him last year in a deep league where my QB's went down and he held his own, he was the #6 scoring QB in fantasy the 2 weeks he started.

I could see a 5,000 yard 30 TD 20 INT 5 fumble season out of him if you give him reins of the right team. Assuming he could survive from getting benched.

I think there is a greater than 50% chance that Minshew is the next Fitzmagic, a few good games that gives people hope but also the 4 turnover games that gets him benched. He is already on team 3, I bet he gets up to 7-8 nfl teams before his career is over.

Last edited:

What do you think of their targets?
I've thought of this and don't have enough confidence in them to do this. I like this WR for this and that WR for that but all in all I don't feel like they've put it together yet. Pittman has more catches with "nice play call there" or "defense was sleeping" then just lets rely on him as a #1. I don't see an IT factor from him yet but also would be fine saying this is his year. Imo he still needs a bit more to be the alpha. Last year's rookie was decent. I'm sick of their TEs. For a long long time, I've thought the Colts have no clue how to use a TE. They always seem to have nice athletes there but refuse to let them be the QBs panic option or have them simply body a defender and fire it in. A TE should have X number of tough catches in traffic. There's always something off with how they use em versus how the rest of the league does

The WR's are irrelevant for this strategy, Richardson will get all his points from running and Minshew will be getting most of his points in garbage time. In the best balls I do i have been taking Minshew in the 20th round and anytime you are in the 20th round of a draft that does not include kickers/defense you are down to the scrubs.

I think handcuffing Richardson makes sense.

Minshew's upside is meh

You are talking real life upside, however I see fantasy upside with him. I started him last year in a deep league where my QB's went down and he held his own, he was the #6 scoring QB in fantasy the 2 weeks he started.

I could see a 5,000 yard 30 TD 20 INT 5 fumble season out of him if you give him reins of the right team. Assuming he could survive from getting benched.
Agreed.

That said, I see the Colts giving ARich every possible chance, limiting the possibility of Minshew taking the reins.

IMO the path to FF relevance is with an ARich injury. If that should come to pass Minshew will be FF gold in SF leagues, making him a must draft late round flier.

Colts owner Jim Irsay said Gardner Minshew “could play better early on” when asked about how soon Anthony Richardson could be named the starter.
While Irsay hinted at Minshew seeing the field early, he also highlighted the importance of getting Richardson on the field. Irsay said of Richardson, “For Anthony, we know it’s going to be tough. But he has to play to get better. There’s no question.” Richardson will have plenty of time to play in the preseason and showcase his growth and development since the Colts drafted him with the No. 4 overall pick in late April. Whether or not he shows enough to be named the Week 1 starter is anybody’s guess, but Irsay said it’s head coach Shane Steichen’s call on when Richardson steps in.

(fantasypros) Gardner Minshew II put on a solid performance in Week 2, leading his team to a 31-20 victory over the Houston Texans after starter Anthony Richardson went down with an injury.

Analysis: Minshew was thrown into the game unexpectedly when starter Anthony Richardson went down with a concussion. He completed 19 of his 23 passing attempts, racking up 171 yards and a touchdown, while keeping his slate clean with zero interceptions. He also added a modest 3 yards on the ground from 2 attempts. It's unclear if Richardson will have to miss any real time while recovering from his injury, but Minshew could be a solid streaming option against the Ravens if the rookie will be out for Week 3.

Colts QB Gardner Minshew will start in Week 3 against the Ravens.

With Anthony Richardson still in concussion protocol, Minshew will get a chance to start his first game of 2023. The veteran quarterback threw for 171 yards and a touchdown in relief of Richardson last week, and is now on his third season with head coach Shane Steichen after the two spent 2021 and 2022 together in Philadelphia. Minshew is among the best backup quarterbacks in the league and could be relied on in a pinch as a low-end streaming option in 2QB and superflex leagues.

Glad I dealt for Minshew as soon as I knew I was drafting ARich.

Would rather have ARich in the SF slot, but Minshew should be a fine replacement
I am wondering if this will be a Pass heavy game plan for Indy. Might even see life in Alec Pierce?
Yeah, too much dreaming there....

Colts HC Shane Steichen said Gardner Minshew will start in Week 6 against the Jaguars.

There was little doubt over whether or not Minshew would start in Week 6 with Anthony Richardson (shoulder) being sidelined for the foreseeable future, but Steichen went ahead and confirmed things on Monday. Minshew led the Colts to a Week 3 win over the Ravens in his first start of the season, and helped close out the win for the Colts in Week 5 against the Titans. Minshew has been a heavily-utilized backup through five weeks, completing 57-of-83 passes for 553 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions. He’ll be a low-end QB2 next week against the Jaguars in a revenge game.

Be a little interesting to see the offense with Minshew long-term. Probably more run heavy with play action. Could maybe be a benefit for the fantasy values of Taylor (less vulturing) Pittman, and Downs, but probably makes it harder overall for the Colts to win games.

Having said that, the Colts schedule is great the next 5 games. Its very possible they could go 5-0 during this stretch as the Jags this week is the toughest game in this stretch, and that game was 50-50 in week 1.

Be a little interesting to see the offense with Minshew long-term. Probably more run heavy with play action. Could maybe be a benefit for the fantasy values of Taylor (less vulturing) Pittman, and Downs, but probably makes it harder overall for the Colts to win games.

Having said that, the Colts schedule is great the next 5 games. Its very possible they could go 5-0 during this stretch as the Jags this week is the toughest game in this stretch, and that game was 50-50 in week 1.
As a Pittman owner. I just want to see some consistency at the QB position.

So I’m all for Minshew hanging around.

His QBRs have been all over the place, 88.3, 88.5, 79.9 .... and 24.5 and 55.8. Any chance he loses the job? He's faced some good defenses, CLE, JAX, BAL.

His QBRs have been all over the place, 88.3, 88.5, 79.9 .... and 24.5 and 55.8. Any chance he loses the job? He's faced some good defenses, CLE, JAX, BAL.
You must have been listening to Jeff Mans rant and rave all week (before the Browns game) that Minsehw would lose his job by week 9.
Not sure what he is smoking because while Minshew has those bad turnovers he actually moves the offense. I guess if you are on a big stage you can pretty much spout off anything to the public.
Josh Hayes was giving people the advice to drop Burrow for Dobbs about 3 or 4 weeks ago and then was citing Dobbs schedule in weeks 14-16 as if Murray wasn't coming back.
These "experts" who get paid for a living really do give a lot of bad advice. Josh Hayes has been at the top of the XM terrible advice guy list this year.
Some of his biggest hits were "drop Burrow for Dobbs" and "Hall is a 9th round pick and Cook a 4th" and "Hall is 1 of the top handcuff RBs this year"

I am pretty sure we all seen the Ehlinger experience last year and no one wants to go back to that.

He has had 15 turnover worthy plays in three starts. He's played six games, some of his relief stints were lengthy, but for whatever reason he had zero TWPs in his 3 g as a reserve.

His TWP % is the highest in the league, but in the starts alone, it's over 10%. That would be the highest since they started tracking it in 2014. Now obviously not every TWP actually is a turnover, so if he's got a n upside down horseshoe ring stuck up his butt, then everything should be seashells and balloons.

His fantasy points have been all over the place too. He seems to have a high ceiling… but boy does his floor seem low.

I’d be cautious if I had to start him.

Huntley got in last year, this is the new normal with everyone bailing.

Read an article this morning on ESPN trying for forecast possible landing spots for QB's and he was pegged to Denver. That makes a lot of sense.

Gardner Minshew II added to Pro Bowl

Smh

Not trying to be a hater. But. Smh
Pretty much the biggest compliment Shane Steichen can get. I truly wonder if Anthony Richardson doesn't get hurt, if the Colts don't easily win the AFC South. Minshew was managed almost perfectly this season.
Why do you expect a rookie would do well?

Minshew was fine. He always fills his role well and I appreciate that. He should get veteran backup pay whatever that rate is.

Gardner Minshew II added to Pro Bowl

Smh

Not trying to be a hater. But. Smh
Pretty much the biggest compliment Shane Steichen can get. I truly wonder if Anthony Richardson doesn't get hurt, if the Colts don't easily win the AFC South. Minshew was managed almost perfectly this season.
Why do you expect a rookie would do well?

Minshew was fine. He always fills his role well and I appreciate that. He should get veteran backup pay whatever that rate is.
I think Richardson brings more to the offense, and I think Steichen has proved he uses players to their best abilities, both with Minshew and with Hurts, and I don't think Richardson would be different, and he likely would have improved the more experience he got.

Very small sample size admittedly, but Richardson had a slightly higher YPA and higher passer rating than Minshew, while obviously adding more to the ground game than Minshew, and he never got to play with Taylor, who likely also would have been much more effective with Richardson at the helm.

Read an article this morning on ESPN trying for forecast possible landing spots for QB's and he was pegged to Denver. That makes a lot of sense.
I’d love to see it.
Every AFC West team would love to see it too.

Users who are viewing this thread