What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Jayden Daniels, WAS (2 Viewers)

All his highlights show is deep routes which he seems to excell with those two WRs. I couldn’t find any short passing quick strikes. Unless I just missed them.

Austin Gayle
Jayden Daniels will have the highest career % of sacks on pressured dropbacks of any first-round quarterback in the last five years (via PFF)

Burny
Curious if this improved when he went to LSU, do you have his splits at each school?

Austin Gayle
(not really!)

Burny
Interesting, thank you! Kind of surprising to me I didn’t think he was poor at handling pressure. Can you see what his average time to pressure was? Or average depth of sack? I wonder if a lot happened when he was trying to escape or just w a quick win on Defense

All his highlights show is deep routes which he seems to excell with those two WRs. I couldn’t find any short passing quick strikes. Unless I just missed them.
I can’t speak for his stats but just watching him multiple games, his deep ball is definitely his strength. But yeah, anyone with an arm throwing to Thomas and Nabers will do fairly well.

I can’t speak for his stats but just watching him multiple games, his deep ball is definitely his strength. But yeah, anyone with an arm throwing to Thomas and Nabers will do fairly well.
Completing 72% of your passes has to mean more than just deep throws. This is the SEC, not the PAC 12.

I am not saying Jayden daniels can't reach close to Lamar's top speed, but everyone of those TD's by Jackson, minus maybe the last one he let up and didn't push it to full speed. He had another gear if he wanted.
Also, Jayden Daniels doesn't need to be Lamar to succeed, just pointing out that those examples didn't seem apples to apples with Daniels in open field for a while with Jackson not being.

Completing 72% of your passes has to mean more than just deep throws. This is the SEC, not the PAC 12.
Of course. But really he played against 4 good teams. 62% and 219 yards against Alabama isn’t bad I guess, 58.5% against FSU isn’t horrendous.
Missouri and Ole Miss were fine games against decent teams. 80+% against Georgia State and Mississippi State pad the stats a bit. Still, 40/4 TD/INT ratio ain’t bad.

I like Daniels. I’d take him 2nd out of the QBs. But he’s definitely not a perfect prospect.

I really like how everyone is about drooling over this guy.
Some are high on Penix too.
It seems more natural or typical. Maye and Williams are almost boring at this point.

I have never had it where my team loved a top prospect, drafted that guy, and he succeeded. It's always been between a few guys or at least two and ...I think it would be fun to root for a team in 3-6 that covers and lands Daniels

I am not saying Jayden daniels can't reach close to Lamar's top speed, but everyone of those TD's by Jackson, minus maybe the last one he let up and didn't push it to full speed. He had another gear if he wanted.
Also, Jayden Daniels doesn't need to be Lamar to succeed, just pointing out that those examples didn't seem apples to apples with Daniels in open field for a while with Jackson not being.
I was responding to the line about Daniels being "significantly slower" than Lamar. I'm just wondering why he said it, and if it's based off of anything he's seen or read.

Does anyone care that he is 23 years old and will be 24 during the 2024 season? I don't. If he was a RB I would. His age probably helps him coming into the NFL.

Why not? Does he think he can't improve his draft stock? I'm not sure he's there yet, even with the Heisman.

How many QBs have gone to the combine projected to go in Round 1, and moved up a significant amount in their draft position? The number might be zero. More have moved down.

Matt Jones moved up in like 2005 into Round 1. But he was projected mid rounds. For guys like that it makes sense. It makes no sense to me why Williams, Daniels, or Maye would show up at anything. They are going top 8 at worst and probably top 3. Teams have already decided about each of them. CHI already knows what it is gonna do. So do WAS and NE. It's not like they haven't seen everything they need to. They have each thought about this every day for like 4 months. The only thing in the air is what they can get if they prefer to trade the pick.

McCarthy, Penix, Nix, Rattler, Pratt, Rattler, Milton ... they need to impress.

Last edited:
I think the Combine is essentially meaningless outside the medical tests and individual meetings. Workouts are only useful for establishing a player can hit an absolute baseline, which in the modern world they most likely have already done with GPS speed tracking etc.

I think, with that in mind, it is even more meaningless an event for QB's. Most (I might go as far to say ALL) bum QB's in college can hit an uncovered guy in stride under literally no pressure. What they are asked to do doesn't demonstrate their suitability for the NFL in any way.

I think it's safe to assume that any player who has decided not to participate in this event is doing so because they already know that they cannot improve their draft stock. They have received the necessary feedback that confirms they are being taken in a range they deem acceptable (you can never be sure with trades on an exact number but they'll know within 5 picks or so where they are going).

How many QBs have gone to the combine projected to go in Round 1, and moved up a significant amount in their draft position? The number might be zero. More have moved down.
I think Anthony Richardson stock spiked after Combine performance. Can't recall where he was projected prior, but he got himself into top 5 conversations after.

I think Anthony Richardson stock spiked after Combine performance. Can't recall where he was projected prior, but he got himself into top 5 conversations after.
He spiked well before the combine. He was considered low 1st round after season. Before the combine he was projected #8 to ATL. Then went #4 to IND. So he gained 4 spots. I'm not sure going from #8 to #4 is worth the risk of it. But to each their own.

I just know that I'm not going to blame these kids for not wanting to do 2-3 days of underwear workouts when there are 5+ years of tape on them back to HS

Last edited:
Before the combine he went to projected #8 to ATL. Then went #4 to IND. So he gained 4 spots. I'm not sure going from #8 to #4 is worth the risk of it. But to each their own.
This is assuming causation though. He was projected to ATL, but maybe Indie were always planning to take him at 4, whatever happened, before and after the combine. Seems a little unlikely to me that Indie suddenly became interested in the player due to his combine workout. They must have had a pretty strong inclination they were going to take him through the whole draft process.

Daniels described as a "game changer" by WAS HC Dan Quinn on radio this AM. He called Drake Maye "athletic". He mentioned toughness and accuracy on deep balls as traits they want. He also said the decision is up to Adam Peters, and they would not provide any insight to their plans.

So how's Daniels accuracy on deep balls? Seemed good, but he was also throwing to Nabers and that guy can make a QB look good.

He didn't spike due to throwing - not even sure he did throw. He spiked because he's a thoroughbred and showed that off.

This is assuming causation though. He was projected to ATL, but maybe Indie were always planning to take him at 4, whatever happened, before and after the combine. Seems a little unlikely to me that Indie suddenly became interested in the player due to his combine workout. They must have had a pretty strong inclination they were going to take him through the whole draft process.
It's also assuming validity that doesn't exist. Being "projected" means absolutely nothing. Zero zip zilch nada.

He didn't spike due to throwing - not even sure he did throw. He spiked because he's a thoroughbred and showed that off.
AR did throw at the combine. I remember watching it and thinking he's a much more accurate passer than I thought watching his games. He looked like a more accurate passer than Levis during the drills. Of course, that's with no pass rush. I don't know how much that affected his draft position but I think it helped him some.

It's also assuming validity that doesn't exist. Being "projected" means absolutely nothing. Zero zip zilch nada.

Yeah, there are a lot of problems with assuming somebody jumped because of where they were projected. QBs especially rise on draft day. We know that.

A-Rich was likely going fourth to IND before the combine, though we have no way of ultimately knowing. But we also don't know that he rose in Indy's esteem because he ran a fast 40 and jumped out of the gym.

Further, if he's projected at eight, that's well within a range of the fourth pick. It's not like he was projected as a consensus fourth rounder. We're talking that all it takes is one team.

I'm finding it awfully hard to accept at face value that combine throwing ability of a prospect - already known to be an elusive runner, but an underwhelming passer (per college stats) - was irrelevant to his projection of top 5 pick coming out of combine. If I were a GM looking for a QBOTF, it would be the *only* thing I'm worried about.

Does anyone care that he is 23 years old and will be 24 during the 2024 season? I don't. If he was a RB I would. His age probably helps him coming into the NFL.
Nope, especially not at QB. Also, with NIL deals/money, players might stay in school longer and be older coming out.

I don't care that he's older. It bothers me that it took him this long to look good.
But that bothered me about Joe Burrow too.
It bothers me that he's really skinny. Also, not a deal breaker.

But I take the top two over him, no problem. He's closer to McCarthy than he is so Caleb, IMO

I don't care that he's older. It bothers me that it took him this long to look good.
But that bothered me about Joe Burrow too.
It bothers me that he's really skinny. Also, not a deal breaker.

But I take the top two over him, no problem. He's closer to McCarthy than he is so Caleb, IMO

Well we disagree. I'm close to liking him better than Caleb and I really like Caleb. I have Maye much further down in a tier with McCarthy, who I will look at closer soon, and Nix, who I like better than most.

Take away his running, which was about as good as it gets, and his play was still elite. He ran a pro style offense. He played with a high IQ. He audibled to the right play consistently. He looks away LBs and safeties like a seasoned vet. He processes very fast. He hits his 2nd and 3rd options with quick decisions. His mechanics are flawless. He's accurate. And those wheels, oh my.

The thing that gives me pause is he didn't just have two great receivers, he had a dominant OL making life easy. I could care less about his frame. He's a strong dude, and that frame is why he's so fast and so twitchy. It's a good thing.

Hah, I'm really high on this guy. In another thread there's expectations that most of these qbs will bust. I feel like Daniels and Caleb are almost sure things. :shrug:

I'm close to liking him better than Caleb and I really like Caleb
What's he been doing for 4 years, then? Caleb been slinging it since day 1, and Daniels puts it together at an age when Caleb will be starting in the NFL.

Developing into a really good QB.

It doesn't bother me like it bothers you. I just watched him play a bunch last season and then this week watched Chase Daniel (again) analyze his game from plenty of film. Daniel likes to watch their reported worst efforts, not just highlights. I was pretty high on Daniels from just following his Heisman run last fall, but Chase's analysis was more than confirming. Again... :shrug:

I think Cam Newton came out of nowhere and only started one season before going #1 in the draft.

So, Daniels couldn't get to 210 pounds even bulking with water weight? Or he didn't want an extra few weeks of news cycle talking about his short wingspan and his small hands?

I'm finding it awfully hard to accept at face value that combine throwing ability of a prospect - already known to be an elusive runner, but an underwhelming passer (per college stats) - was irrelevant to his projection of top 5 pick coming out of combine. If I were a GM looking for a QBOTF, it would be the *only* thing I'm worried about.
I didn't say throwing was irrelevant. I said his throwing wasn't what caused him to spike during the combine.

I didn't say throwing was irrelevant. I said his throwing wasn't what caused him to spike during the combine.
Let’s agree to disagree on your point. Did you say it was irrelevant? No. Could his value have spiked if he emerged from combine as a guy with a 45 inch vertical who can’t throw? Of course not. I don’t understand separating his throwing from ‘cause’ of a spike, but I don’t need to.

Back to Daniels, I’m not liking rumors he’s perceived QB2, because I am selfishly hoping he slides a bit in the NFL draft. I’ll definitely be looking to get him in my rookie draft, and there too more likely for me if he’s viewed QB3. Any other year he’d be mid 2nd (1QB league), but I doubt he makes it to 1.12.

Last edited:

Back to Daniels, I’m not liking rumors he’s perceived QB2, because I am selfishly hoping he slides a bit in the NFL draft. I’ll definitely be looking to get him in my rookie draft, and there too more likely for me if he’s viewed QB3. Any other year he’d be mid 2nd (1QB league), but I doubt he makes it to 1.12.

Agreed. Normal year, quality QB's are available early 2nd in 1QB Leagues ... last year, my primary Dynasty 12 team AR went 1.05 while ROY CJ Stroud went 2.05
And there is a proposal for our league to update to SF in 2026 so now QBs are likely hot values.
I was liking my chances of Daniels at 1.12 but now look remote.

Some preliminary polls for 1QB 12 team I saw have Caleb 1.06 and Daniels & Maye both going 1.10 range

Some preliminary polls for 1QB 12 team I saw have Caleb 1.06 and Daniels & Maye both going 1.10 range
For me this sort of information doesn't track at all.

I think QB adp in a single QB format are so hugely dependent on team need that general multi league adp is not useful.

In my league for example, there is really only 1 team who doesn't have serviceable QB right now. Everyone is set, or set enough for it to not be any sort of priority. And as this manager knows this, he will almost certainly let the QB he would have taken in the mid 1st round fall to the 2nd, safe in the knowledge that he won't be drafted by anyone else.

For me this sort of information doesn't track at all.

I think QB adp in a single QB format are so hugely dependent on team need that general multi league adp is not useful.

In my league for example, there is really only 1 team who doesn't have serviceable QB right now. Everyone is set, or set enough for it to not be any sort of priority. And as this manager knows this, he will almost certainly let the QB he would have taken in the mid 1st round fall to the 2nd, safe in the knowledge that he won't be drafted by anyone else.
While I agree with bold in general. Perspective's may not align.
An owner might see Jordan Love as Top 10 long term value and while others might as a short term value looking to build depth or replacement in 2025.

And the longevity of Cousins or Wilson (and their value in a new location) could also drive QB distribution perspective flux.

Each league's owner could throw chaos into drafts. I was just making a reference to how some early QB values are being perceived in 1 QB formats.

Each league's owner could throw chaos into drafts. I was just making a reference to how some early QB values are being perceived in 1 QB formats.
It's definitely interesting to see. I'm always surprised at how highly they are valued generally. But I suppose having a set and forget stud at that position is something worth chasing.

he will almost certainly let the QB he would have taken in the mid 1st round fall to the 2nd, safe in the knowledge that he won't be drafted by anyone else.
Until someone does. Just as he knows it's unlikely that all other teams won't take a QB it's just as likely all other teams know this guy needs one. So if he is sitting and waiting for pick 2.06 (for example) thinking he will get his guy and then the guy at 2.05 thinks to himself I might as well take a value at QB and then he misses his guy.

It's a game of chicken and to each league their own. But waiting is always a gamble and how big a gamble is dependent upon how important a certain player is to you.

Users who are viewing this thread