What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Joshua Dobbs, SF (1 Viewer)

Love the trade for the Minnesota Vikings, lose your star-QB in week 8 after crawling back from an 0-4 start and you pluck a 2023 starter off another team?
I know Dobbs is learning on the fly but the Vikings are much better positioned to help him

Maybe they can bring Cousins back now a little more affordable and still have Dobbs as their 2nd QB
I like this move a lot and I don't see other teams jumping in

Love the trade for the Minnesota Vikings, lose your star-QB in week 8 after crawling back from an 0-4 start and you pluck a 2023 starter off another team?
I know Dobbs is learning on the fly but the Vikings are much better positioned to help him

Maybe they can bring Cousins back now a little more affordable and still have Dobbs as their 2nd QB
I’ve only watched some of his play. But do like the fact that he’s a more mobile QB and has some rushing ability.

Vikings have offensive weapons as compared to Arizona and maybe KOC can get a little creative here and make something work.

It’s not saying much, but it’s more inspiring than Hall and Mullens.

Dobbs owner here in SF dynasty format. What do we make of his dynasty value going forward? Is this a trade high moment, or has he played his way into a starter role somewhere next year?

Dobbs owner here in SF dynasty format. What do we make of his dynasty value going forward? Is this a trade high moment, or has he played his way into a starter role somewhere next year?
Too soon. We need more information first.

I think the best-case scenario is he can become like Minshew where a team will never commit to him as their long-term starter but he will be a veteran bridge QB.

I think the best-case scenario is he can become like Minshew where a team will never commit to him as their long-term starter but he will be a veteran bridge QB.
I'm kind of feeling like a Minshew situation is probably his worst-case scenario at this point. He's clearly put himself in "top backup QB" territory at the very least.

Almost a 63% completion rate which is really average these days in the NFL, I remember when QBs were considered Gods if they could get that completion % up over 60
8 TDs, 5 Int and a QBR a little over 80

I think Minnesota is just a better Offensive Machine over the last 5-10 years vs anything I can recall in Arizona, never believed in Murray and still don't
Dobbs was the QB holding things until Murray could return, he enters another situation same thing.

I don't think Dobbs cares much, he's happy to play and continue to start in the NFL, he might play this into a long term back up QB around the NFL
Where do you find a back up QB who took over for a $200M QB who was injured? Dobbs
Where do you find a back up QB who has little ego and understand his role as Administrative Assistant or QB2 on the team? Dobbs
Where do you find a 2nd team that sustained a horrific injury at QB and needs a better back up? And what QB would that team want in this situation? Dobbs

This is a terrific move by the Vikings and I think JJ, Addison and Hockenson will all rally around Dobbs and help make his life easier

I think you hold.

Wait to see if/when he starts for the Vikings then reassess.

I can only assume the Vikings think Dobbs was their best option here so a fairly good chance he gets to start at some point this season unless Hall plays really well.

There is no garuntee that Dobbs ends up with the Vikings in 2024 and not much has been invested in him, so if he does play and puts up good numbers maybe try to sell then.

I would think the Vikings will have someone else starting in 2024 than Dobbs but it's really too soon to know.

He’s making quite the journeyman career.
He has almost as many teams as starts.
Steelers, Titans, Jaguars, Browns, Lions, Cardinals and now Vikings.

I respect the hell outta Dobbs and he’s easy to root for. He stepped into that Tennessee game last year and battled and showed heart in an impossible spot and then he had just slightly more prep but he kept what I thought would be a winless AZ team afloat. I wish him the best and I’m rooting for him. Also an Addison owner so sling it to him!

I'm kind of feeling like a Minshew situation is probably his worst-case scenario at this point. He's clearly put himself in "top backup QB" territory at the very least.

I guess I am not seeing what you are seeing at all.

What DO YOU see Boston? i would like to know.
Your POV is usually pretty astute

BTW, i've already laid out how I feel in several Dobbs/Vikings threads, I won't come over the top of you
I think Dobbs lands in a decent spot for the rest of the year.
Might not start the 1st week but he will soon and he will have ample weapons to throw the ball to
Is Hock better than Ertz? Is Addison better than the entire AZ WR stable without even JJ on the Vikes to boot?

There's a lot to like here for Minnesota IMHO, feel the same about Dobbs

Having a truly mobile QB will be a benefit for the Vikings. I like the kids play, but not sure I'm sold on his arm just yet.
Still, I think it was a smart move for the Vikes.

I think what he is saying is that if Dobbs does start for the Vikings he can benefit from their WRs and set himself up for a bigger payday next season if he performs well.

Was hoping the Lions would have kept Dobbs around. Not a star or flashy but seems capable to win some games. Good pickup.

BTW, i've already laid out how I feel in several Dobbs/Vikings threads, I won't come over the top of you
Might not start the 1st week but he will soon and he will have ample weapons to throw the ball to
Is Hock better than Ertz? Is Addison better than the entire AZ WR stable without even JJ on the Vikes to boot?

I pretty much agree with you...smart move by the Vikes to stay relevant although the fact they did not trust their current backup is another story...Dobbs came out of nowhere this year and has played competently...if he can play well for the Vikings I think he can solidify himself as a solid veteran backup like Minshew (my comment above was directed at that being the low-point because besides this year Dobbs has not shown anything) who a team can still win with in the short-term or use as a bridge QB for a youngster but not someone who anyone is going to commit to long-term...with his ability to run he could have some more value to a team that has a QB that plays a similar style so you can keep the same offense if the starter gets hurt...this is a huge opportunity for Dobbs and he proved with Arizona he can get up to speed quickly and if JJ comes back he will definitely have much better weapons.

I think what he is saying is that if Dobbs does start for the Vikings he can benefit from their WRs and set himself up for a bigger payday next season if he performs well.

I don't disagree with that at all...I don't agree with Minshew being the low-point...if he can get to that level, I think that will be a nice career for a guy that was on 9 different teams (Steelers and Browns were 2 different stints each) since 2017 and had thrown for 2 career TDs prior to this year...he has a great opportunity here and I fully understand the Vikings thinking especially since it only cost a #6....I like this move.

I don't disagree with that at all...I don't agree with Minshew being the low-point...if he can get to that level, I think that will be a nice career for a guy that was on 9 different teams (Steelers and Browns were 2 different stints each) since 2017 and had thrown for 2 career TDs prior to this year...he has a great opportunity here and I fully understand the Vikings thinking especially since it only cost a #6....I like this move.
This, I agree. Career journeyman backup is a darn good gig imo. He did fine last year in Nashville and alright for the cardinals but we’ve seen nothing to make us think he’s guy any team would want as their top dog.

This has been a really weird deadline day..

Washington trades their best two pass rushers both in the NFC.. Arizona trades their starting QB, and Kyler Murray may start Sunday.

Today sort of makes up for all the ****ty Prime Time games.

I pretty much agree with you...smart move by the Vikes to stay relevant although the fact they did not trust their current backup is another story...Dobbs came out of nowhere this year and has played competently...if he can play well for the Vikings I think he can solidify himself as a solid veteran backup like Minshew (my comment above was directed at that being the low-point because besides this year Dobbs has not shown anything) who a team can still win with in the short-term or use as a bridge QB for a youngster but not someone who anyone is going to commit to long-term...with his ability to run he could have some more value to a team that has a QB that plays a similar style so you can keep the same offense if the starter gets hurt...this is a huge opportunity for Dobbs and he proved with Arizona he can get up to speed quickly and if JJ comes back he will definitely have much better weapons.
I got you. I think Minneshew has likely shown more than Dobbs has at this point of their careers. I wasn't really focusing on that comparison.

As far as the Vikings not trusting their current back up QBs, I am not sure this move points to that exactly, but I will say a few things about that.

I have heard that Kirk Cousins does not want serious competition for the starting role at QB for the Vikings. I am not sure if that is true or not, but what they have done with the back up QB position at times seemed to be weighed more towards a back up with experience who can help Cousins break down tape than a player who could actually challenge him for the job.

The Vikings did pick Kellen Mond so this was a bit of a deviation from this, but Mond was a bust and wasted pick.

There was a lot of criticism about Cousins lack of mobility back a few years ago from fans and I think Mike Zimmer may have said something about this that got blown out of proportion by the media and so on. This talk was related to Cousins not improvising enough when plays broke down (which is something I think KOC has worked on with Cousins, challenging him to take more risks with his throws) and mostly about Cousins not being able to escape the pass rush. This of course very much related to the Vikings offensive line not being good at that time so pressure was happening a lot more then, than it does now.

Sorry for the digression but the Vikings offensive line is much better than it was 3 years ago and before that.

This talk about Cousins not wanting to be challenged by a back up QB is from several years ago and I have not heard or read anything like this after the Vikings switched to KOC or the new GM.

Maybe the Mond experiment put that to bed. I am sure part of why Spielman was fired was because of his many failed picks at the QB position.

Last year fairly early after the new coach and GM tòok over the Vikings they traded for Nick Mullens as the solution. He does not seem great to me but he knew KOCs offense and could help Cousins learn it more quickly and he was a better option than Sean Mannion, that's not hard.

The Vikings know better than we do how close Mullens is to recovering from an injured back, a tricky injury. They may not be sure about it either. So it could be insurance for if that recovery does not go well enough and that's all.

Or it could be that even if Mullens recovers fine they do not want to start him many games. I am not sure about that. Mullens still might be the starter once he is ready.

I do think the move tells us that they don't feel comfortable enough for Jaren Hall to take over yet. He is their developmental QB they didn't have last season. They have had months to watch him practice now.

I could be wrong and they really like Hall though, and this move is to improve their back up QB options over Sean Mannion or Colt McCoy or whatever free agent they might bring in.

We will just have to see.

I just got home a bit ago so I have not heard what the coaches or GM may have said about the move yet but I am curious and I will listen to that soon.

I hope he can get JJ the ball in 2023 better then he got Antonio Brown the ball in 2018.

I know 2018 was a small sample size for him,but I still have nightmares of him sailing 2 balls over AB ‘s head vs the Raiders.

I hope he can get JJ the ball in 2023 better then he got Antonio Brown the ball in 2018.

I know 2018 was a small sample size for him,but I still have nightmares of him sailing 2 balls over AB ‘s head vs the Raiders.
That was 5 years ago and he was what 23 years old then?

I have seen some studies that show QB playing their best from 28-32 years old. Which includes some QBs that were not very good in their earlier years.

Obviously the good ones play at a higher level sooner than that and many of them for much longer than that as well.

But I think this is a peak of their top performance where experience really helps them and their athletic ability hasn't faded yet.

I have seen some studies that show QB playing their best from 28-32 years old. Which includes some QBs that were not very good in their earlier years.

Obviously the good ones play at a higher level sooner than that and many of them for much longer than that as well.

But I think this is a peak of their top performance where experience really helps them and their athletic ability hasn't faded yet.
Geno Smith could be your poster-child.

Good example. There are many more.

Tannehill. Goff.

QB is more of a cerebral position. Each QB has their own peak. A lot of them don't get that chance to show it as they have struggled and lost their chances to be trusted by the time they reach that point.

Tannehill. Goff.

QB is more of a cerebral position. Each QB has their own peak. A lot of them don't get that chance to show it as they have struggled and lost their chances to be trusted by the time they reach that point.
I think Goff had his peak 4 years ago in 2019. 2018 and 2019 were his two best seasons so far. Tannehill will work alongside Geno, though.

Tannehill. Goff.

I think Goff had his peak 4 years ago in 2019. 2018 and 2019 were his two best seasons so far. Tannehill will work alongside Geno, though.
Goff is 29 years old now and we may not have seen his peak yet in my opinion.

I am not just talking about statistics here but efficiency of play. Statistics are always affected by volume and supporting cast. Despite the numbers the Rams were not fully satisfied with his play or else they would not have traded him. I think his best years may be now and still ahead. But we will see.

Dobbs might be a sneaky add for end of season run. Vikings identity revolves around the offensive weapons so if Dobbs is somewhat competent and add in his rushing ability who knows how high ceiling can be. Cousins was on fire prior to the injury either that is due to him suddenly elevating his game or the offensive minds behind the scenes.

Tannehill. Goff.

I think you’re confusing having a stellar offence and scheme that was lighting the league up back then with it being his personal peak as a QB. Goff is definitely a more seasoned and fully rounded QB today than he was then.

Surely Vikes have got Dobbs to start. I think he sits this week then gets the start the week after

I read KOCs press conference he said they are unsure about when Mullens will be fully recovered and this is why they added Dobbs who is a quick study and should be able to help them quickly.

Jaren Hall will start. They have been preparing him for this, but he also seemed to focus on Halls work with the scout team, which to be honest didn't sound exactly like they have been preparing him to start as the main thing they have been getting out of him so far. Maybe I am reading into thar comment too much though. That is what he's been doing.

Comments were focused more on Kirk Cousins and that they want Cousins back next season.

So yeah unless Hall plays fantastic I kind of expect Dobbs to start soon based on what KOC said.

I'm assuming they only have Mannion on the PS as a "player/coach" because he is NOT an NFL QB - they had to get someone as a backup for this weekend just to have a warm body...

Kudos to him - somehow only seems to thrive with minimal practice time - played well last year too after a surprise start for the Titans.

Should get traded every week before the deadline.

Users who are viewing this thread