What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (5 Viewers)

Lost cause in dynasty? Loved his potential coming into the league but this is getting ridiculous.

Lost cause in dynasty? Loved his potential coming into the league but this is getting ridiculous.
As long as he’s on the Bears, yes.
I don’t think it’s the Bears necessarily, when he throws the ball you have no idea where it might go. Each throw is an adventure…the Bears are doing what they can to make him throw as little as possible. These levels are pretty incredible….he has less than 300 yards passing, 2 tds and 4 int’s in 3 games.

He is awful, doesn't matter what team he's on. Everyone blamed coaching from last year, but clearly current coaches don't trust him and they are stuck.

He is non good. Many of us predicted this when he entered the draft.
I have to admit, I missed this one. His performance against Clemson while injured was other-worldly. But yeah, I've seen enough at the pro level to conclude that he isn't a good NFL quarterback. Perplexes me to no end, but hey - I missed it. Kudos to those of you that knew better. I'd be interested to hear what you saw that drew you to that conclusion.

BTW - it's not the Bears, or the WR's. He was grossly inaccurate today. I saw that **** with my own eyes.
I saw some of those passes and he wasn’t even close…was funny.
It's shocking, really. I saw a lot of plays from today's game and he wasn't just bad, he was atrocious. I mean, I guess you have to stick with him if you're the Bears, but we have a pretty good body of work to conclude that he isn't a good NFL quarterback. It just doesn't make sense to me. I watched him closely in college and there were a lot of moments where he was spectacular. Makes you wonder if something else is going on with him. Either that, or I am a terrible judge of talent (which is very possible).

I have to admit, I missed this one. His performance against Clemson while injured was other-worldly. But yeah, I've seen enough at the pro level to conclude that he isn't a good NFL quarterback. Perplexes me to no end, but hey - I missed it. Kudos to those of you that knew better. I'd be interested to hear what you saw that drew you to that conclusion.
Huge difference between college the pros. You can be a great college quarterback and not be a good NFL QB. Tebow, Johnny Football, Baker Mayfield....the list goes on. At THE Ohio State, Fields was throwing to WRs were always wide open. He was throwing to Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson....elite talents....two WRs that are making their mark as NFL rookies. The definition of "open" in the NFL is different. In the NFL, you have to anticipate, read the defense, make quicker decisions and throw the ball into tighter windows. Fields has demonstrated that he can't do that. Am I not sure if he will.

Drafting QBs in the first round is just not an exact science. You can end up with a legend like Aaron Rodgers, or you can end up with Sam Darnold. I was one that thought Fields would be pretty good, so I can't say that I knew better.

the comedy is the people who actually believed that an Ohio State QB won't amount to a hill of beans in the NFL. NOT!
still waiting. why do people keep going down the same road in believing in The Ohio State QBs in the NFL can we just hit the pause button on it till further notice ? please. stop the nonsense.
Fields will be replaced within a week or 2 if not already done this kid sux.

Will DeWitt @Wi11DeWitt
According to @ZebraSports, #Bears QB Justin Fields has yet to throw the ball into a tight window on any of his 45 pass attempts this season.

He's also had the fewest passing attempts in the league every week.

Will DeWitt @Wi11DeWitt
Is the lack of any throws into a tight window due to making good decisions and avoiding these throws? Or is it due to a lack of confidence to make the throw in the tight window?

Every other QB has thrown into tight windows 6.9% of their attempts or higher.

the comedy is the people who actually believed that an Ohio State QB won't amount to a hill of beans in the NFL. NOT!
still waiting. why do people keep going down the same road in believing in The Ohio State QBs in the NFL can we just hit the pause button on it till further notice ? please. stop the nonsense.
The backup is Trevor sieman no one wants to see him play and assumes he's good in the meeting room and that's why he sticks.
If the Bears keep losing, they can draft another Ohio State QB

The game that did it for me was Bears @ Bucs last year. Even by rookie standards, it was a disaster.

Everybody was killing the Jets for drafting Wilson over this guy.

The sad thing is, everybody still might be right.

What an interesting class of QB talent. Nobody has flashed but But Mac Jones and Trevor. Jury's still way out on both, with Trevor easily (IMHO) in the lead right now for best QB from that first round.

Davis Mills flashed, too, at the end of last year. I was remiss in mentioning that.

Truly stunning.

I'm amazed that they found a staff with as much ineptitude as Nagy. Look, if you tell me they don't trust Fields to throw it, I'd say ok maybe that is the truth.

But you can't develop a QB if you don't develop them. It is resigning yourself to defeat without actually trying. They have to open the playbook up, and not for fantasy sakes but because this **** is stupid. Let him and the receivers get some dang rhythm. The worst part of it is that they are 2-1 now so the staff Is likely enabled while saying "this is Bears football derp derp."

I swear to God the McCaskeys require cowardice playcalling in the coaches' contracts. I will never get it.

The backup is Trevor sieman no one wants to see him play and assumes he's good in the meeting room and that's why he sticks.
If the Bears keep losing, they can draft another Ohio State QB
I would love to see Siemien in there.

I can't believe this guy is a lost cause yet. Seems like he was getting good reviews in preseason, a little early to be writing him off.

If Brady retires I hope the Bucs can steal him for a draft pick. No way is he this bad, he needs real coaching and talent and an organization behind him. I said before his draft I thought he was QB1 but when the Bears drafted him they may ruin him and dammit here we are.

He's not good, but per usual, the Bears coaching staff hurt every qb they draft. Doesn't matter if it's a different coaching staff. Always the same garbage

Everybody was killing the Jets for drafting Wilson over this guy.

The sad thing is, everybody still might be right.

What an interesting class of QB talent. Nobody has flashed but But Mac Jones and Trevor. Jury's still way out on both, with Trevor easily (IMHO) in the lead right now for best QB from that first round.

Davis Mills flashed, too, at the end of last year. I was remiss in mentioning that.

Truly stunning.
I don't remember it quite that way. After Trevor, there wasn't really a consensus on the order for the rest of the top 5. Although most of the top outlets had it Trevor, Wilson, Fields, Lance, Jones

I don't remember it quite that way

Many "film grinders" on Twitter and in other places were killing he Jets for not going FIelds. They thought there was a racial aspect to their scouting because "he holds the ball too long on his first read" was a wolf whistle for saying "he really isn't intelligent enough to process at fast speeds."

No lie. Andrew Nguyen (?) and Doug Farrar were all over that. They kept harping on it. But I've learned to never listen to either of those two again. They're wishers. Reminds me of the children's poem, though somehow the sentiment is beautiful until it unravels.

Invitation

If you are a dreamer, come in
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in!
Come in!

-Shel Siverstein

I don't remember it quite that way

Many "film grinders" on Twitter and in other places were killing he Jets for not going FIelds. They thought there was a racial aspect to their scouting because "he holds the ball too long on his first read" was a wolf whistle for saying "he really isn't intelligent enough to process at fast speeds."

No lie. Andrew Nguyen (?) and Doug Farrar were all over that. They kept harping on it. But I've learned to never listen to either of those two again. They're wishers. Reminds me of the children's poem, though somehow the sentiment is beautiful until it unravels.

Invitation

If you are a dreamer, come in
If you are a dreamer, a wisher, a liar
A hope-er, a pray-er, a magic bean buyer
If you're a pretender, come sit by my fire
For we have some flax-golden tales to spin
Come in!
Come in!

-Shel Siverstein
Holding the ball too long was an actual thing for him in college and rookie year. He takes way too many sacks. And he's already been sacked 10 times this season (top 6).
In his defense, mobile QBs tend to get sacked more. And he has arguably one of the worst lines, along with the worst WR room in the league. Daniel Jones is in the same situation, sacked 13 times this season (top 3), mobile QB, bad line, bad WR room. And they both play each other this week.

Holding the ball too long was an actual thing for him in college and rookie year.

Indeed. And the people I listed in question pointed to his holding the ball as a problem stemming from tOSU playbook. They argued that it was because he had to read the positioning of the guys in the secondary before he knew which route was to be run. That excused his holding the football, and if you disagreed with that, you were besmirched with being duped by theories that stemmed from racial non-niceties. They really thought him holding the ball was a racially coded evaluation.

I thought that was so...stupid. I don't know the depths of NFL racism, to be sure, but one would doubt that executives around the league would simply want a guy based on the color of his skin. I find that hard to believe with the investment that the teams are making in these players. But leave it to the media.

Wow. Twitter is up in arms and totally not backing down and defending this guy's performance. All the "film grinders" and would-be scouts are coming up with reasons, especially harping on his receivers. That's fair enough, but nobody is this bad without some culpability. It sounds like the media set a narrative about this guy, made it about racial stuff, and can't back off of their original opinion because a million bigots will be like "told you so!"

Guy has no help, but the guy isn't helping himself. He looks terrible.

He might develop into something great. All the tools are there. But right now, he looks way overmatched in the NFL. Herbstreit, who has no agenda, pointed it out in like two seconds. Guys are open and he's not throwing them the football because he doesn't think they are or he's missing reads. That breathing thing? Whoa. Kid's head is spinning from criticism and the moment seems too big for him right now. That's hard to watch, actually.

I hated the Twitter argument over this kid and subsequently hate the arguments about his performance. Leaves me nauseated a bit.

Wow. Twitter is up in arms and totally not backing down and defending this guy's performance. All the "film grinders" and would-be scouts are coming up with reasons, especially harping on his receivers. That's fair enough, but nobody is this bad without some culpability. It sounds like the media set a narrative about this guy, made it about racial stuff, and can't back off of their original opinion because a million bigots will be like "told you so!"

He might develop into something great. All the tools are there. But right now, he looks way overmatched in the NFL. Herbstreit, who has no agenda, pointed it out in like two seconds. Guys are open and he's not throwing them the football because he doesn't think they are or he's missing reads. That breathing thing? Whoa. Kid's head is spinning from criticism and the moment seems too big for him right now. That's hard to watch, actually.

I hated the Twitter argument over this kid and subsequently hate the arguments about his performance. Leaves me nauseated a bit.

He looks lost to me. He can run really fast and can throw really hard... but I'm not sure he'll ever be able to play QB.

Having said that, he looked like the better QB last night - not exactly a powerful statement - and Wentz gets lots of chances to start at QB.

I'd call myself a Fields defender. He is not seeing the field well enough and isn't playing well enough right now. That is completely true. There was always gonna be growing pains. Very few QBs are just great right away, guys like Patrick Mahomes, Joe Burrow, and Justin Herbert are pretty big outliers.

Also true, he's getting absolutely no help from a seemingly worse than Nagy and co. coaching staff, who seems intent on jamming square pegs into round holes. They refuse to design things for Fields mobility and deep ball, instead basically asking him to run the Aaron Rodgers offense, which pretty much no young QB could do.

I won't get into any racial bias or whatever, both sides of that argument are probably stupid. I will say I don't think there has been enough to call the guy a bust yet, and frankly, I'd still defend taking him over Mac Jones (who would be on IR behind this OL, hell he is behind a far superior line and a 1st ballot HOF HC) and would argue he was and still is a better prospect than Trey Lance was. I'd rather have Lawrence or Wilson, but they went #1 and #2 so it seems so would most, and frankly, they haven't been much better, though Wilson has impressed since his return in my opinion.

Let us not forget how awful Josh Allen looked 16 starts into his career. Fields has a higher passer rating, completion percentage, and yards per attempt than Allen had. But Allen had a coaching staff committed to letting him play to his strengths. I'm not saying Fields is gonna be Josh Allen, obviously, but bringing up Allen as a great example of exercising patience with a clearly talented young QB.

Jalen Hurts is another example of a guy who looked lost, to the point where many (most?) Eagles fans were calling for Gardner Minshew, or big trades for Watson, Wilson or Ryan (lol) but instead had an offense built around his strengths, and both he and Allen got topflight WRs to help. What did Fields front office do to help? Their big ideas to bolster the WR room were Byron Pringle (an ok depth guy) Velus Jones (a returner) ESB (castoff who knew the offense) and N'Keal Harry (yet to play, but likely irrelevant)

I guess in summary, I'm seeing a talented prospect with clear flaws, being set up to fail, and predictably failing. Everyone is to blame, including Fields, but he deserves and is worthy of more patience.

I guess in summary, I'm seeing a talented prospect with clear flaws, being set up to fail, and predictably failing. Everyone is to blame, including Fields, but he deserves and is worthy of more patience.
He does things very well and does things not so good. I think there are better days ahead from him. I still wish my Broncos would have drafted him. At least he would have had some professional receivers to throw to which would give us a better read on whether he was gonna make it or not. He has that "it" quality when the game is on the line to make plays and give his team a chance. He can still improve his accuracy and more quickly deliver the ball after making the read. I agree that he is not being used to the best of his abilities. It kind of seems like the new regime has already moved on.

The tools are there for Fields, especially for fantasy with his arm strength and running ability. For me it will come down to two factors.

Processing- this is the obvious area he needs to improve at. How likely is it for Fields to be able to improve to an NFL level QB in this department?

Bears Offensive System- I think we can assume/believe that the talent around him will improve to some degree. The Bears MUST adjust their offense to suit the QB they currently have. He is not and will never be a pocket passing QB. Bring in someone that will adjust the offense to get Fields on the move and play to his strengths. Allen and Hurts also looked horrible and lost starting out but were able to improve, IMO Fields has as much raw talent as both of these QB's but needs to improve his processing and needs his team to adjust their offensive philosophy. Of course raw talent is only one factor in being a successful NFL QB, there are many other intangibles that factor more into success but Fields will be fantasy gold with a little improvement by himself and the team putting him in a situation to succeed. .

again..lets repeat it once again for the people in the upper deck,the bathrooms, the last row..Ohio State QBs don't transition well to the NFL.they just DONT. Hiring a guy named Eberflus as a HC doesn't work, either. I mean really. the only thing worse is the Broncos hiring N. Hackett.
Fields is a bum as a QB, but I'd consider moving him to RB or taysom hill-ish type gadget guy..he has speed,can run well. he just can't throw.

Plays with heart. Elite drive just then - cheat code wheels. Hit a clutch 10 yard strike to keep a TD on the table - dart on the run.

If he continues to develop, they get more receivers, & this line improves, Chicago is going to be a very dangerous team.

Plays with heart. Elite drive just then - cheat code wheels. Hit a clutch 10 yard strike to keep a TD on the table - dart on the run.

If he continues to develop, they get more receivers, & this line improves, Chicago is going to be a very dangerous team.
I think he's the most Mahomes-esque of the young kids. Strong arm, huge ceiling, great ability to escape. It's been a choppy start to his career so far, but he's starting to get more comfortable.

Users who are viewing this thread