What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (1 Viewer)

I’m rolling Dak out there tomorrow instead of waiting until Sunday to find out I’m hosed at qb.
I own a lot of Fields and have a ton of decisions I'm up against tomorrow. I have also decided to play him over Dak, that was probably my easiest call. I got one between him and Goff and that's a terrible option but I got seriously outbid on only other viable QB to buy more time so it's Goff or risk a zero and my main goal of the week is to protect a 35 point lead to probably going to go with Goff. Lastly I got two Cousins and Fields teams. I grabbed Tannehill to buy more time but still not sure I what I'll do yet, might end up just playing Cousins over getting stuck with Tannehill or a banged up Fields.

Justin Fields (shoulder) was cleared to practice Wednesday.​

Bears head coach Matt Eberflus on Monday described Fields as "day to day" following a shoulder injury he sustained in Week 11 against the Falcons. Fields was also seen grabbing him hamstring late in the game against Atlanta. That Fields can log a limited Wednesday session is good news for his Week 12 availability against the Jets. "If he's ready to play, he's going to play," Eberflus told reporters Wednesday. He leads all quarterbacks in rushing, averaging 75.8 yards on the ground per game. Fields is on pace for nearly 1,300 rushing yards. Fantasy managers have to start Fields if he suits up against the Jets.
SOURCE: Jonathan Jones on Twitter
Nov 23, 2022, 12:42 PM ET
cleared for a walk through
It’s a start.
He's playing and he'll continue to be studly. Perhaps 50 yards rushing, a rush TD, 200 yards and 2 more TD's. I think us Fields owners who start him would love to get 20 points this week, which is above current projection numbers.
Highly, highly doubt he’s playing based on his own quote.
It certainly appears to be trending that direction. I just dropped C Samuel and picked up Tom Brady who will likely start over Fields.

I’m rolling Dak out there tomorrow instead of waiting until Sunday to find out I’m hosed at qb.
I own a lot of Fields and have a ton of decisions I'm up against tomorrow. I have also decided to play him over Dak, that was probably my easiest call. I got one between him and Goff and that's a terrible option but I got seriously outbid on only other viable QB to buy more time so it's Goff or risk a zero and my main goal of the week is to protect a 35 point lead to probably going to go with Goff. Lastly I got two Cousins and Fields teams. I grabbed Tannehill to buy more time but still not sure I what I'll do yet, might end up just playing Cousins over getting stuck with Tannehill or a banged up Fields.

Yup, biding time and looking for plan Bs.

Right now there are several QBs in FA. D. Carr...Tanny...Ryan...Heinecke...others. Don't think anyone in my league needs a QB so think I'll be alright waiting to grab one. Thinking D. Carr @SEA right now. Carr on a mini streak and SEA secondary hasn't been wonderful lately.

Also may trade for Geno or K. Murray. Dangling Christian Watson. Geno owner indicated "don't like week 14 bye" and I was like, you already have Hurts as your QB1?

Yup, biding time and looking for plan Bs.

Right now there are several QBs in FA. D. Carr...Tanny...Ryan...Heinecke...others. Don't think anyone in my league needs a QB so think I'll be alright waiting to grab one. Thinking D. Carr @SEA right now. Carr on a mini streak and SEA secondary hasn't been wonderful lately.

Also may trade for Geno or K. Murray. Dangling Christian Watson. Geno owner indicated "don't like week 14 bye" and I was like, you already have Hurts as your QB1?
Danny Jones is my back up to Fields and I don’t feel good about Jones today. I plan to pick up Lawrence as my first choice and Carr as the next option.

The Athletic's Jon Greenberg believes Justin Fields (shoulder) is "unlikely" to play in Week 12.​

Fields said on Wednesday that he feels pain in his separated non-throwing shoulder every time he throws the ball. "It seems unlikely the Bears would let Fields play with this injury, particularly given the context (the Bears are 3-8) and his style of play (he runs the ball a lot)," Greenberg said. Fields said he would push to suit up this week against the Jets. “I just feel like if I can play and that I’m not furthering the risk of injury and I can do what I need to do to be able to protect myself, I think that’ll be good enough for me to play,” he said. If he sits, Trevor Siemian would start for Chicago, scuttling the fantasy prospects of every Bears player.
RELATED:
SOURCE: The Athletic
Nov 24, 2022, 10:36 AM ET

And so then my question is do I preempt this by starting Knox over Kmet? It was probably a coin flip to begin with but I may demote Kmet across the board. I've already got options at QB if he sits but there are other consequences. Do I start Mooney who I was already lukewarmish on? Or preempt it with Slayton today in a tough matchup? Tough to make those decisions when I need to get my side dishes started in the kitchen. Happy holidays everyone!

And so then my question is do I preempt this by starting Knox over Kmet? It was probably a coin flip to begin with but I may demote Kmet across the board. I've already got options at QB if he sits but there are other consequences. Do I start Mooney who I was already lukewarmish on? Or preempt it with Slayton today in a tough matchup? Tough to make those decisions when I need to get my side dishes started in the kitchen. Happy holidays everyone!
Had the same dilemma yesterday and made the Knox over Kmet call yesterday on my dynasty team. Apologies for cursing all of the Knox people, i have the reverse midas touch.

Had the same dilemma yesterday and made the Knox over Kmet call yesterday on my dynasty team. Apologies for cursing all of the Knox people, i have the reverse midas touch.
Yeah same. No bueno. But if I'm gonna balk at a skill position starting slot, let it be TE.

Justin Fields (shoulder) is questionable for Chicago's Week 12 game against the Jets.​

Matt Eberflus said that Fields "would need to be cleared further by the medical staff" to play. With 48 hours to go to get Fields better, it sounds like we've got an old fashioned game-day decision ahead of us. Season-long Fields drafters should have contingency plans in place for Sunday afternoon. If he does play, it's hard to believe Fields will run often enough to give us the pure QB1 value he's been offering of late, but we certainly can't tell you that we know for a fact that the Bears would tone his running down.
Nov 25, 2022, 2:52 PM ET

Just to add some additional info, Drew Brees had this exact same injury in week 4 of the 2004 season and didn't miss a single game. He got a painkilling shot in his shoulder before every game the rest of the season, though he said doctors said he probably could have stopped after a month or so, but he wanted to play it safe/not mess with his ritual, as he was in the middle of what became an 8-game win streak.

Brees finished that season with a 27-7 TD/INT ratio and 104.8 passer rating, and a pro bowl.

Now, Fields obviously plays a different style to Brees, but this idea that they should hold him out because it's risking his long-term health, is hogwash. I'm a Bears fan, and I think Fields should absolutely play, and holding him out due to injury is just wasting development time. Maybe you save the designed runs for the redzone, but I'd expect if he plays (and again, he should) he'd be basically as effective as ever, from a what he's capable of doing standpoint.

Just to add some additional info, Drew Brees had this exact same injury in week 4 of the 2004 season and didn't miss a single game
I follow Dr. Chao and he's referenced this a few times, was the team physician at the time. This type of injury is very easy to play with a pain injection when you have medical clearance. I think we might however have hit a snag with him getting full medical clearance. I have no idea why but I think they might have hit an issue with him getting full clearance.

Brad Biggs is a good beat writer and he put out a tweet a few days ago, which I posted here, that he felt belief among the players was that Fields was playing.Nothing this week gave me more confidence that Fields would play more then that tweet so it was pretty deflating when I read this article tonight from Biggs.

The Bears will hold a walk-through Saturday morning before traveling to New Jersey, so it’s possible they could evaluate Fields and see how he is doing Sunday morning. Two sources said they believe there is a high likelihood Siemian will start as the Bears (3-8) try to avoid a five-game losing streak for the third consecutive season. The scenario of Siemian starting would not come as a surprise given the organization doesn’t want to see Fields suffer further injury during a season in which he has shown promise.

Just to add some additional info, Drew Brees had this exact same injury in week 4 of the 2004 season and didn't miss a single game
I follow Dr. Chao and he's referenced this a few times, was the team physician at the time. This type of injury is very easy to play with a pain injection when you have medical clearance. I think we might however have hit a snag with him getting full medical clearance. I have no idea why but I think they might have hit an issue with him getting full clearance.

Brad Biggs is a good beat writer and he put out a tweet a few days ago, which I posted here, that he felt belief among the players was that Fields was playing.Nothing this week gave me more confidence that Fields would play more then that tweet so it was pretty deflating when I read this article tonight from Biggs.

The Bears will hold a walk-through Saturday morning before traveling to New Jersey, so it’s possible they could evaluate Fields and see how he is doing Sunday morning. Two sources said they believe there is a high likelihood Siemian will start as the Bears (3-8) try to avoid a five-game losing streak for the third consecutive season. The scenario of Siemian starting would not come as a surprise given the organization doesn’t want to see Fields suffer further injury during a season in which he has shown promise.
Good find, Biggs is very tuned in to what is going on with the Bears. I agree with the stance, I can’t see Fields not running and exposing that shoulder. He also has the hamstring issue, not good against an elite defense.

Scrambled and traded for Geno. Had to give up C. Watson, but have decent WR depth.

Too much risk he misses not just tmrw's game, but he's shut down completely.

Just to add some additional info, Drew Brees had this exact same injury in week 4 of the 2004 season and didn't miss a single game. He got a painkilling shot in his shoulder before every game the rest of the season, though he said doctors said he probably could have stopped after a month or so, but he wanted to play it safe/not mess with his ritual, as he was in the middle of what became an 8-game win streak.

Brees finished that season with a 27-7 TD/INT ratio and 104.8 passer rating, and a pro bowl.

Now, Fields obviously plays a different style to Brees, but this idea that they should hold him out because it's risking his long-term health, is hogwash. I'm a Bears fan, and I think Fields should absolutely play, and holding him out due to injury is just wasting development time. Maybe you save the designed runs for the redzone, but I'd expect if he plays (and again, he should) he'd be basically as effective as ever, from a what he's capable of doing standpoint.
How many times was Brees sacked during that year? Fields is at 36 so far , that to me is a real issue for a guy playing hurt

How many times was Brees sacked during that year? Fields is at 36 so far , that to me is a real issue for a guy playing hurt
18, but that was very much one of Brees skills.

I just don't see the issue with playing hurt, its highly unlikely to get worse, and while I think Fields has proven he's the guy going forward, he certainly needs the work/experience.

I'm looking at this as a Bears fan 1st, and fantasy manager 2nd. Yeah, the team isn't making the playoffs, but that doesn't mean these games are meaningless.

18, but that was very much one of Brees skills.

I just don't see the issue with playing hurt, its highly unlikely to get worse, and while I think Fields has proven he's the guy going forward, he certainly needs the work/experience.

I'm looking at this as a Bears fan 1st, and fantasy manager 2nd. Yeah, the team isn't making the playoffs, but that doesn't mean these games are meaningless.
Per Jeremy Fowler there is some concern about long term injury
https://twitter.com/johndietzdh/status/1596514300696616961?s=20&t=PIxkzyyz26LeRz2-fPqFaw

Also there is a report that the Bears have elevated Nathan Peterman from the practice squad
https://twitter.com/theffrobot/status/1596581032937115649?s=20&t=PIxkzyyz26LeRz2-fPqFaw

Had an owner trying to pry Fields from me last night. I wonder if the sell somewhat high window is still open (before the likes of Shefty report tmrw that they could shut him down).

Had an owner trying to pry Fields from me last night. I wonder if the sell somewhat high window is still open (before the likes of Shefty report tmrw that they could shut him down).
I'm sure he's out this week but they have zero intention of shutting him down. He'll be playing by week 15 at the latest.

Fields has been sacked 40 times

For Fields to be a successful QB, he must run the ball more than any other NFL QB. He must produce the rushing yards to be a worthwhile fantasy QB.

When you take off with the ball, you become a “runner,” and runners are fair game for defenses. With their current record, I wouldn’t even think of playing him this week.

Third QB has been activated. I picked up Jets defense.

Fields has been sacked 40 times
i stand corrected sir

Now I go back and forth with this being hood or bad for Montgomery. Good that if they get to the GL he will get more opportunity without Fields. But with Siemian, will they get down there?

Now I go back and forth with this being hood or bad for Montgomery. Good that if they get to the GL he will get more opportunity without Fields. But with Siemian, will they get down there?
Disaster for all CHI offensive players. NYJ D is going to go off.

Justin Fields (shoulder) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Fields was held out of Week 12 because of the shoulder issue that he described as "basically an AC joint" injury. He said today that he is feeling a lot better than he was last week. As a precaution, the Bears added Tim Boyle from the Lions' practice squad. Fields is still very questionable for Week 13, but a limited session to open the week is a positive sign.
SOURCE: Adam Hoge on Twitter
Nov 30, 2022, 1:07 PM ET

Well I'll be damned...Fields with a full practice today.

My trade for C. Kirk is officially off the table.
My offer two weeks ago was Godwin. He wanted Hopkins. No deal.

I also own him in another league where I also have Brady and Watson. Crazy to have 3 QB's, which is not my style and I will likely drop Brady on Sunday so my opponent who has Rodgers won't get him either. Watson was supposed to fill in week 14 for Field's and needed Brady last week.

The upgrade to full participant is big news! All of a sudden I have to decide between he or T Lawrence in a few key matchups this weekend.

Gotta wonder how much that shoulder injury might limit his willingness to run it as much. He was amazing before his injury.

If he’s even 90% willing to run the same way, I think he will be a must start. He’s been too good to my teams, I doubt I can sit him.
In one league where I’m fighting for the top seed and my team is pretty stacked, I’ll likely start Geno Smith over him to play it safe. The other team I roster him is in rebuild so I can start him or Mike White and it doesn’t really matter. I’d start him if I needed his upside for sure.

Fields is in a tough matchup.
He is?
GB’s defense is still fairly solid. Good pass rush, decent secondary. And fields lost Mooney, his favorite target. And Chicago isn’t particularly deep at WR, to say the least.

Mostly I’m concerned that the Pats won’t put up enough points to make it a big statistical game for Fields.
The Bears D is so terrible though. The Packs will score points.

Fields is in a tough matchup.
He is?
GB’s defense is still fairly solid. Good pass rush, decent secondary. And fields lost Mooney, his favorite target. And Chicago isn’t particularly deep at WR, to say the least.

Mostly I’m concerned that the Pats won’t put up enough points to make it a big statistical game for Fields.
The Bears D is so terrible though. The Packs will score points.
Facts.

The upgrade to full participant is big news! All of a sudden I have to decide between he or T Lawrence in a few key matchups this weekend.

Gotta wonder how much that shoulder injury might limit his willingness to run it as much. He was amazing before his injury.
I have the same decision and have Trevor starting now. I will change my mind a dozen times before Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread