What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (1 Viewer)

I don't know who CJ Golson is but he's got the blue check mark (does that even mean anything anymore?)

:shrug:
People pay 8 bucks a month and then they get the checkmark, the checkmark only means that these people are choosing to pay that fee.
Elmo failed us all by destroying the verification system. It was the single biggest benefit to Twitter.

Credibility matters. You can’t sell credibility.

Utter fail.

I don't know who CJ Golson is but he's got the blue check mark (does that even mean anything anymore?)

People pay 8 bucks a month and then they get the checkmark, the checkmark only means that these people are choosing to pay that fee.
Elmo failed us all by destroying the verification system. It was the single biggest benefit to Twitter.

Utter fail.
Elmo. That is a autocorrect win. :)

Atlanta just makes so much sense...they are desperate for a QB and I would think the way they are built a young plug-and-play veteran with upside would be very appealing...they have Zack Robinson as the OC and that could be a nice fit with Fields who really needs to tighten things up if he is going to take the next step...Atlanta picks reasonably high in the 2nd and 3rd so they should be able to figure out a deal.

I feel like the first part could be accurate, but that quote doesn't sound like JF. He's always been a positive team leader and it doesn't fit his personality to take a shot at teammates on his way out the door.

Utter fail.
Elmo. That is a autocorrect win. :)
Wasn’t autocorrect. ;)

His value could be less than some think, you're kind of betting on potential but with not a lot of room to run on his contract, not a super appealing combo.

His value could be less than some think, you're kind of betting on potential but with not a lot of room to run on his contract, not a super appealing combo.
I think they can swing a 2nd and a 2025 comp pick between rounds 2-4.

If we take Atlanta as an example... What are their options at #43? Penix? Maybe Nix? Those are two extremely flawed prospects who are only a year younger than JF. They aren't stepping in Year 1 to take the Falcons to playoffs.

Or maybe they can sign Kirk Cousins to a 2-3 year between 100-150m, but I don't see that move as a clear winner vs giving up a 2nd round that has about 50% chance to stick in the NFL.

I don't think he has much of a trade market. Will probably end up being like a situation where Chicago tries to leverage 1 or 2 teams against each other and that's the market, one or two teams that will be very intersted enough to offer a day 2 pick. Most teams would take him for a day 3 pick because for that price you don't need to pick up the 5th year option to justify the trade.

Assuming Denver cuts Wilson I count 5 absolutely desperate teams that don't have a viable starting QB under contract on their roster or a pick inside the top 3. Vikings, Falcons, Buccaneers, Denver, and the Raiders. Pittsburgh is 6th but unlike those teams I don't view them as desperate because they've not given up on PIckett. Whether they should is a different story but my belief is out of those 6 teams the only one who might have their starting QB in 2024 under contract is the Steelers.

Cousins and Baker will likely take two of those 5 desperate teams out.

That's going to leave 3 desperate teams and the Steelers left.

One of those teams is the likely to be the Raiders since I don't see them signing Cousins or Baker and pairing Fields back with Getsy does not sound like an option anyone wants.

Now we are down to 2 desperate teams and the Steelers.

Russell Wilson would be available for one of these teams and keep in mind he's likely free to acquire and very cheap due to offsets.

Still got McCarthy as an option and past him we got a QB class that Jim Nagy was saying last week is a once in a decade type for potential starting QB's when you start including Nix, Penix, Rattler and Pratt.

Out of these 6 teams 3 of them have offenses run by coaches from the McVay tree, a 4th by Payton. I don't consider Fields to a great fit in those schemes, do view some of these rookies as fittng that profile more. A 5th OC is the aforementioned Getsy, which leaves Arthur Smith as the lone non-McVay protegee, Payon or Getsy guy running an offense.

My conclusion is a 2024 second is going to be very hard to get and they'll either need to take a 2025 second or what I think is most likely is conditional pick netting them a third with a chance to move that up or get more back.

I don't think he has much of a trade market. Will probably end up being like a situation where Chicago tries to leverage 1 or 2 teams against each other and that's the market, one or two teams that will be very intersted enough to offer a day 2 pick. Most teams would take him for a day 3 pick because for that price you don't need to pick up the 5th year option to justify the trade.

Assuming Denver cuts Wilson I count 5 absolutely desperate teams that don't have a viable starting QB under contract on their roster or a pick inside the top 3. Vikings, Falcons, Buccaneers, Denver, and the Raiders. Pittsburgh is 6th but unlike those teams I don't view them as desperate because they've not given up on PIckett. Whether they should is a different story but my belief is out of those 6 teams the only one who might have their starting QB in 2024 under contract is the Steelers.

One of those teams is the likely to be the Raiders since I don't see them signing Cousins or Baker and pairing Fields back with Getsy does not sound like an option anyone wants.

Russell Wilson would be available for one of these teams and keep in mind he's likely free to acquire and very cheap due to offsets.

Still got McCarthy as an option and past him we got a QB class that Jim Nagy was saying last week is a once in a decade type for potential starting QB's when you start including Nix, Penix, Rattler and Pratt.

Out of these 6 teams 3 of them have offenses run by coaches from the McVay tree, a 4th by Payton. I don't consider Fields to a great fit in those schemes, do view some of these rookies as fittng that profile more. A 5th OC is the aforementioned Getsy, which leaves Arthur Smith as the lone non-McVay protegee, Payon or Getsy guy running an offense.

My conclusion is a 2024 second is going to be very hard to get and they'll either need to take a 2025 second or what I think is most likely is conditional pick netting them a third with a chance to move that up or get more back.
I appreciate this analysis, but I'll disagree here. Pittsburgh and Atlanta are two teams that have a solid Defense and supporting cast on offense NOW. Atlanta has its big 3 on rookie contracts (Robinson, London, and Pitts) for a limited time. Pittsburgh has one of its best defenses and a solid supporting offense cast as well. Both teams are, in my eyes, a QB away from seriously competing. As such, giving up a second, 25 1st or late round 24 first would not be a huge give for a guy who many think can come in and play at a high level. To be honest, anything less than the Darnold trade (2nd, 4th, and 6th) should be unacceptable to the Bears. Otherwise, keep him let he and Caleb compete or let Caleb get up to speed, let him go in free agency and get the compensatory pick in 25.

Nobody is giving a first for Fields. If he was worth a first they’d trade the pick like they did last year. He’s not. They’ve already done this dance with Fields and he failed.

There are a lot of QB options out there. They’ll be lucky to get a 2nd.

They definitely aren’t going to keep him to compete with Caleb.

Nobody is giving a first for Fields. If he was worth a first they’d trade the pick like they did last year. He’s not. They’ve already done this dance with Fields and he failed.

There are a lot of QB options out there. They’ll be lucky to get a 2nd.

They definitely aren’t going to keep him to compete with Caleb.
Agreed.

If the price for Fields is anything more than a 2025 2nd, then ATL can just enter the Russell Wilson sweepstakes and only pay cash-out-of-pocket for a 2-year deal.

Or just take McCarthy/Maye, Nix or Penix at #8.

Steelers would be nuts to go with Pickett imo, don't see that happening despite what they're saying.

I appreciate this analysis, but I'll disagree here. Pittsburgh and Atlanta are two teams that have a solid Defense and supporting cast on offense NOW. Atlanta has its big 3 on rookie contracts (Robinson, London, and Pitts) for a limited time. Pittsburgh has one of its best defenses and a solid supporting offense cast as well. Both teams are, in my eyes, a QB away from seriously competing. As such, giving up a second, 25 1st or late round 24 first would not be a huge give for a guy who many think can come in and play at a high level. To be honest, anything less than the Darnold trade (2nd, 4th, and 6th) should be unacceptable to the Bears. Otherwise, keep him let he and Caleb compete or let Caleb get up to speed, let him go in free agency and get the compensatory pick in 25.
just no way they're keeping Fields to compete with a top pick. the Darnold trade was just a bad trade, not sure that's something to use as a comp.

ETA, looks like post above mine said essentially same thing

Steelers would be nuts to go with Pickett imo, don't see that happening despite what they're saying.
I don't believe they are trying to replace him but want to bring in people to compete with him/have a stop gap if/when he fails. Resign Rudolph, Tannheill or Wilson cheap. One or two of those with maybe a QB in the draft.

I don't think they are trying to sign Cousins, trying to trade a second and give Fields the 5th year guarantee. Moves that are more in line with outright replacing Pickett.

This is not about what I would do, it's what I truly think is their planning right now.

Saying all that I left them as one of the few contenders for Fields, just don't think they want to pay much, don't see their desperation rising to level of a second.

I don't believe they are trying to replace him but want to bring in people to compete with him/have a stop gap if/when he fails. Resign Rudolph, Tannheill or Wilson cheap. One or two of those with maybe a QB in the draft.

I don't think they are trying to sign Cousins, trying to trade a second and give Fields the 5th year guarantee. Moves that are more in line with outright replacing Pickett.

This is not about what I would do, it's what I truly think is their planning right now.

Saying all that I left them as one of the few contenders for Fields, just don't think they want to pay much, don't see their desperation rising to level of a second.
Don't see their desperation? Hell, they are the point where desperation has come and gone IMO.

Don't see their desperation? Hell, they are the point where desperation has come and gone IMO.
You'll understand it when you see how little they invest in the QB market this off-season.

You'll understand it when you see how little they invest in the QB market this off-season.
Isn't that a mistake given their QB room? If no, why not? It's obviously a weak spot on their roster. IMO Fields will cost a 2nd at the very least.

If they are content to finish 9-8 and battle for a playoff spot and a loss in the wildcard round, then yeah, ignore the QB issue and roll with Pickett and Rudolph 👍

I think you overvalue a second round pick.

If a second rd pick improves the most important position on your team, I don't see how a team trying to win passes on that.

I think you overvalue a second round pick.

If a second rd pick improves the most important position on your team, I don't see how a team trying to win passes on that.
Only person overrating anything is you on Fields value.

well maybe you'll be right but seems insane to me, like they have real shot to be pretty competitive why waste it

Isn't that a mistake given their QB room? If no, why not? It's obviously a weak spot on their roster. IMO Fields will cost a 2nd at the very least.
Not everything teams say is a lie but I'm over trying to tell people what to believe.

Me personally I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years, think I got a good pulse on them, and absolutely believe what they are saying about not giving up on Pickett but wanting to bring him back with strong competition.

Part of why I believe that is they don't really have a choice. They don't have a high draft pick to get one of the elite QB's. They don't have cap space to make a run at Cousins without gutting their roster in other places. They are not lying, they are being realistic.

I'm not sure Fields will cost a second and part of that reason is his contract length and fact he's not shown that any team in need of a QB got that answered by putting him on their roster.

Again, you will all see this soon enough.

Not everything teams say is a lie but I'm over trying to tell people what to believe.

Me personally I've been a Steeler fan for over 40 years, think I got a good pulse on them, and absolutely believe what they are saying about not giving up on Pickett but wanting to bring him back with strong competition.

Part of why I believe that is they don't really have a choice. They don't have a high draft pick to get one of the elite QB's. They don't have cap space to make a run at Cousins without gutting their roster in other places. They are not lying, they are being realistic.

I'm not sure Fields will cost a second and part of that reason is his contract length and fact he's not shown that any team in need of a QB got that answered by putting him on their roster.

what about Russ? that seems to make sense to me

ETA guess we're in the Justin Fields thread don't mean to hijack...

Rock and a hard place? Regardless, they cannot go into 2024 with their QBs and be a middle of the road team that might be a wild card team and do no better. Is that what Steelers fans really want?

well maybe you'll be right but seems insane to me, like they have real shot to be pretty competitive why waste it
Answered some of that in reply I just made to Johnny

As these relates to Fields I'm missing the part where he showed he's capable of putting any team over the top, playing winning football. or being and answer to any team in need of a QB.

He's a failed bit prospect like Pickett so far IMO. It's not a solution, it's throwing another dart at the problem and I think they'd like to throw that dart, but for the right price and tha's not a second which likely also means picking up the 5th year option. A third or less and I think you can start living with a one year prove it deal.

Rock and a hard place? Regardless, they cannot go into 2024 with their QBs and be a middle of the road team that might be a wild card team and do no better. Is that what Steelers fans really want?
It's what the did last year. Meno is right, though. The Steelers organization is a particular brand of stubborn.

It's what the did last year. Meno is right, though. The Steelers organization is a particular brand of stubborn.
Yeah, good luck with that and good luck advancing in the playoffs, if they even make the playoffs. One time it’s like fantasy, it’s better to be at the bottom than it is to be in the middle and I don’t like comparing the two.

Yeah, good luck with that and good luck advancing in the playoffs, if they even make the playoffs. One time it’s like fantasy, it’s better to be at the bottom than it is to be in the middle and I don’t like comparing the two.
Yeah, I dunno. I think the Steelers have done pretty well (from an outside perspective) with mid to low draft picks. I do think they reached a fair bit for PIckett, but they were in pretty dire need of a QB that offseason. If they find a game manager type QB who doesn't freak out under pressure like Pickett has so far, they could make some noise in the AFC playoff scene.

Yeah, I dunno. I think the Steelers have done pretty well (from an outside perspective) with mid to low draft picks. I do think they reached a fair bit for PIckett, but they were in pretty dire need of a QB that offseason. If they find a game manager type QB who doesn't freak out under pressure like Pickett has so far, they could make some noise in the AFC playoff scene.
That changes nothing. No noise to be made with those QBs

As these relates to Fields I'm missing the part where he showed he's capable of putting any team over the top, playing winning football. or being and answer to any team in need of a QB.

He's a failed bit prospect like Pickett so far IMO. It's not a solution, it's throwing another dart at the problem and I think they'd like to throw that dart, but for the right price and tha's not a second which likely also means picking up the 5th year option. A third or less and I think you can start living with a one year prove it deal.
Which Bears team was even capable of going anywhere?

2021 was a full team implosion where he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready as a hail mary to save Nagy's job.

2022 was a full on tank job. One of the least talented rosters ever assembled.

2023 started horribly. He lost his #2 WR week 3 and the Bears had the worst ranked Defense for the first 6 weeks of the season. He went 5-3 down the stretch after his injury. 2 of those Ls weren't his fault.

I get not liking JF or thinking he isn't a franchise guy, but this is the context people are missing when they claim he sucks.

I think what might be important here is that arguing with menobrown as if he's a prognosticator is probably not conducive to further conversation. He's giving you his take on what the Steelers think. If you want to argue with the Steelers, argue with them. Send a letter to their front office. Don't argue with meno unless you think that's not what the Steelers are going to do and you have evidence to the contrary.

I think that's what he's trying to say.

I could be wrong. If so, meno, take it away.

I think what might be important here is that arguing with menobrown as if he's a prognosticator is probably not conducive to further conversation. He's giving you his take on what the Steelers think. If you want to argue with the Steelers, argue with them. Send a letter to their front office. Don't argue with meno unless you think that's not what the Steelers are going to do and you have evidence to the contrary.

I think that's what he's trying to say.

I could be wrong. If so, meno, take it away.
i got that, i disagree that that is what the Steelers are going to do, there's just no way any front office is dumb enough to run it back w/ Mason Rudolph and Kenny Pickett, no matter how stubborn they are.

2021 was a full team implosion where he was thrown to the wolves before he was ready as a hail mary to save Nagy's job.

2023 started horribly. He lost his #2 WR week 3 and the Bears had the worst ranked Defense for the first 6 weeks of the season. He went 5-3 down the stretch after his injury. 2 of those Ls weren't his fault.

I get not liking JF or thinking he isn't a franchise guy, but this is the context people are missing when they claim he sucks.
I'm talking about the Bears team he went 2-8 the same year Dalton went 3--3.

I'm talking about the same Bears team that went 2-2 with Bagent when he went 5-8.

Justin Fields will be fine wherever he goes. I just hope they do right by Justin and trade him sooner rather than later. Atlanta seems unlikely though that would be wonderful. I do not see the Bears trading him to Atlanta. I think he will go to an AFC team. I don't think anyone believes the Bears are keeping him so really nothing is being gained by holding on to him. You are not leveraging a pick no one believes you are trading. Are they trying to squeeze more compensation for Fields? I don't think they are getting more than they already know and have been offered. Or is it to look like they are mastering the art of leverage to the media and the masses?

I'm talking about the same Bears team that went 2-2 with Bagent when he went 5-8.
The Dalton season where he was QB3 for the whole offseason and entire preseason? He took zero first team snaps before being made the starter. That's textbook 101 how to ruin a rookie.

I have full confidence JF would have won both games Bagent did. They beat the Hoyer led Raiders and the Panthers. Bagent threw 1 total TD in those two games.

The Dalton season where he was QB3 for the whole offseason and entire preseason? He took zero first team snaps before being made the starter. That's textbook 101 how to ruin a rookie.

I have full confidence JF would have won both games Bagent did. They beat the Hoyer led Raiders and the Panthers. Bagent threw 1 total TD in those two games.
Fields likely beats the Saints too, as Bagent turned it over 4 times in that one, and every single time was on his own side of the field.

ESPN story

ESPN polled representatives of 22 NFL teams and asked two questions:

• Do you think the Bears will take Williams with the first pick?
  • Do you think they should trade the pick and build around Fields?
The combination of general managers, coaches, scouts, player personnel staff and other front office executives believes by a 18-4 margin that the Bears will select Williams with the first pick April 25.

For the second question, the tally was 17-5 against trading the pick and building around Fields. One NFC college scout believes the Bears will draft Williams, but he thinks they should bring Fields back for a fourth year.

"It's not even a debate," an AFC player personnel executive said. "Trade him to Atlanta for two third-rounders and keep it moving."
Online sportsbook DraftKings has been offering odds on Fields' next team since early February. The Falcons' odds were as long as 6-1 on Feb. 13, but rumors began circulating early this week, at one point causing DraftKings to pull the market off the board, according to a DraftKings spokesperson. On Wednesday, DraftKings reopened the market with the Falcons as -425 odds-on favorites to land Fields.

"It seems inevitable at this point," one NFC scout said of the likelihood the Bears will draft Williams.

Just scrolling through my twitter timeline starting back from last night and came across two NFL beat writers who are predicting he does not land a starting job, that he will be traded to be someone's backup. Dianni Russini speculated on this being possible last week, that a trade that looked more like Trey Lance, to the Cowboys, was what might be on the table. Wow.

Just scrolling through my twitter timeline starting back from last night and came across two NFL beat writers who are predicting he does not land a starting job, that he will be traded to be someone's backup. Dianni Russini speculated on this being possible last week, that a trade that looked more like Trey Lance, to the Cowboys, was what might be on the table. Wow.
He will definitely have a starting job next year. Too many openings and if the price is really “Trey Lance” type compensation, that will be a no brainer. Fields has shown way more as a passer than Lance did. Unfortunately as a 49er fan.

Another reason to not talk football on Twitter if these are the takes that are out there.

I get the feeling that JF is no one's plan A. Teams want to see where Cousins, Mayfield and Russ land. Once a couple of those guys are off the board his demand will go back up.

Last edited:
He will definitely have a starting job next year. Too many openings and if the price is really “Trey Lance” type compensation, that will be a no brainer. Fields has shown way more as a passer than Lance did. Unfortunately as a 49er fan.

Another reason to not talk football on Twitter if these are the takes that are out there.
Will respectfully disagree they are hot takes and not all of them are from twitter. He's not an ideal fit for most of the teams with openings, tried to make this point before but he's just not a good fit for the McVay offense which most of these teams run. Steelers are really his best fit and if they are interested it's not heavy, they maybe the only fit unless a team like the Giants decide to get involved.

Plans change and his price may drop but I feel pretty comfortable in what will be perceived as a hot take that a lot of teams that need a starting QB would rather sign Darnold then pay a mid round pick for Fields.

I get the feeling that JF is no one's plan A. Teams want to see where Cousins, Mayfield and Baker land. Once a couple of those guys are off the board his demand will go back up
Cousins is key. Baker is a virtual lock to be back in Tampa.
Tannehill would be better in Pittsburgh than fields imo. Although he’d just be a short term answer.

I don't like Fields and still think he's definitely a starter.

I get the feeling that JF is no one's plan A. Teams want to see where Cousins, Mayfield and Baker land. Once a couple of those guys are off the board his demand will go back up
Tannehill would be better in Pittsburgh than fields imo. Although he’d just be a short term answer.
I don't know. Baker's camp is saying they want $44M AAV. Good luck I guess.

Agree about Cousins and Baker.

But Tannehill? He seems kind of old and broken down and is 3 years removed from his last effective season. I guess if they want to be 9-8 again but not going to help them take the next step.

Users who are viewing this thread