What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Justin Fields, PIT (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports the Patriots could trade up in the NFL Draft in pursuit of Ohio State's Justin Fields. 

The Patriots, picking at No. 15, "have been calling around in the top ten," Pelissero said, adding New England would likely have to part with a second-round draft pick to puncture the top-ten. Fields, who could inexplicably fall down the draft board, is believed to be the team's target. Probably Fields would compete with Cam Newton for the Patriots' Week 1 starting job, though there's little chance the pro-ready Fields would spend his entire rookie season on the bench in favor of a fading veteran signal caller. Fields' rushing prowess would make him an every-week fantasy starter in what should be a massively run-heavy New England offense. 

RELATED: 

Cam Newton

, New England Patriots

, Carolina Panthers

, Denver Broncos

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter 

Apr 26, 2021, 8:50 AM ET

JUSTIN FIELDS QB, OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

ESPN's Todd McShay reports that the Carolina Panthers cannot be ruled out for a possible quarterback selection with the No. 8 pick.

The Panthers were expected to take a quarterback at No. 8 until they traded for Sam Darnold earlier this spring. According to McShay, even with Darnold in the fold, signal-caller remains a possibility for Carolina. Crucially, we will note that this report emerges not out of the Panthers camp, but rather from a scout and general manager unconnected to the club. The plugged-in evaluator passes along that Ohio State QB Justin Fields -- reportedly no longer a realistic option for the 49ers at No. 3 -- is the player potentially in Carolina's sights. This could all very much be a smokescreen, of course, with McShay writing that "it's entirely possible that [the Panthers are] only floating this notion to bait a team such as Denver, New England, Washington or Chicago to move up for a king's ransom." Changing gears slightly, if the Panthers opt for a non-quarterback at their current Day 1 slot, McShay hears that wide receiver would likely be the call. Assuming that Kyle Pitts (basically a wide receiver) and Ja'Marr Chase are off the board, Alabama's Jaylen Waddle and Devonta Smith would be the next most-likely targets at the skill positions.

SOURCE: ESPN Plus

Apr 26, 2021, 1:29 PM ET

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports that the San Francisco 49ers' focus no longer includes Ohio State QB Justin Fields.

According to Rap Sheet, the 49ers are zeroing in on North Dakota State's Trey Lance and Alabama's Mac Jones. That leaves Fields -- who came into the 2020 college season viewed in many corners as QB2 behind Trevor Lawrence -- out in the cold. And begs the question, just who does end up taking the Ohio State star? The Atlanta Falcons, with the No. 4 pick, are one possibility, though there's a very real chance they go skill-position player in that slot. After that, you're talking the Lions (No. 7) and Broncos (No. 9) within the first ten picks. Should Fields slide lower than that, you start to creep towards outfits such as the Eagles (No. 12), Vikings (No. 14) and Patriots (No. 15). Those slots, of course, are contingent on everybody staying put, without a trade. Stay tuned. It's almost go-time.

SOURCE: NFL.com

Apr 26, 2021, 12:09 PM ET

I get that Chris Simms is not the biggest Fields fan . . . but in his latest mock he has Fields falling to TB at #32. He has Lawrence-Wilson-Jones going 1-2-3 with WFT moving up to take Jones at 8. And then Fields free falls from there. He even has NE moving up in the draft . . . to take WR Jaylen Waddle. LINK

I get that Chris Simms is not the biggest Fields fan . . . but in his latest mock he has Fields falling to TB at #32. He has Lawrence-Wilson-Jones going 1-2-3 with WFT moving up to take Jones at 8. And then Fields free falls from there. He even has NE moving up in the draft . . . to take WR Jaylen Waddle. LINK
Some people just want to be different. Click bait in a way. People say "Oh Em Jee did you see Chris Simms Mock Draft? He's got Fields @ 32." Other people will click on it. It's ridiculous I think because a team like Chicago will pass on a free QB with this upside? There's so many teams that weren't thinking QB but if a guy like Fields falls that far, just might take him. Just my take.

I can’t find it now but I saw a list of quotes leading up to mayfield being drafted 1.01. No one knows wtf they’re doing. Things like “Darnold follows Hoyer on Twitter” pushing the narrative.

Simms podcast gives good reasons why Fields is his #6 QB, also behind Mond. But no way Fields falls to #32.

Simms QB record since his rankings started in 2018, and his recognition that Mahomes was special in 2017, speaks for itself. He is really down on Fields decision making, because he values arm strength and athleticism, which Fields oozes. 

Bears traded up with the Giants to select Ohio State QB Justin Fields with the No. 11 overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft.

Deemed "QB1" by the Bears in March, Andy Dalton's run as Chicago's starter ended before it began. Fields somehow fell to the 11th pick, prompting the Bears to make their move and get their quarterback of the future. Leaving high school as 247Sports’ No. 8 all-time recruit, Fields (6'3/227) played one partial season at Georgia before taking over the starting job at Ohio State. He went 22-2 with the Buckeyes, only losing to Clemson and Alabama in the College Football Playoff. Fields is sturdily built and provides elite athleticism for the position. Between zone reads and scrambles, he averaged 39.4 rushing yards per game in Columbus and showcased 4.44 speed at his pro day. Fields can hit all throws from far-hash outs to downfield shots and has largely dodged turnovers (9 career INTs), too. Like Russell Wilson and Deshaun Watson, Fields is prone to taking sacks while waiting for the downfield shot to develop, but Ohio State’s offense invited that style of play and his in-pocket strength makes him a difficult quarterback to fully corral. Ultimately, there are more positives than negatives in Fields’ pass game. He averaged 9.3 yards per target with a 22/6 TD/INT ratio and 70% completion percentage across eight games as a junior against one of the hardest strengths of schedule. Fields’ blend of accuracy, arm strength, and dual-threat abilities leave him with a sky-high ceiling. Like Trey Lance, he fits the mold of the dual-threat QB archetype proliferating across the league. Fields will be a popular mid-to-late round fantasy pick come August.

- Rotoworld

You can take this with a grain of salt since I'm a tried a true scarlet and gray fan over but I believe Fields is one of the best QB's I've ever watched at Ohio State.  He has a ton of talent and I want nothing more than the most success possible for him in a Bears uniform.  I hope they take their time and patience developing him and I hope he kicks ### in Chicago!

Todem said:
IMO they got the steal of the draft.

Huge score for Da Bears.
i tend to agree right here.  Everyone would have been very comfortable if a team took him in the top 3 and yet you could him way later

Heard this during the draft but bears (he-yuck) repeating - already the best qb Allen Robinson has ever had to play with.

Heard this during the draft but bears (he-yuck) repeating - already the best qb Allen Robinson has ever had to play with.
Be interesting to see what Robinson does with it

He's one of those guys that you wonder on the right team is he a superstar?  He just hasn't been on the right team

https://twitter.com/heathcummingssr/status/1387948107758030849?s=21

Heath Cummings @heathcummingssr

Initial 17-game projection for Justin Fields in Chicago:

4,400 pass yards 24 TD 18 INT
370 rush yards 3 TD

QB26 in projections
QB13 in Dynasty

https://twitter.com/heathcummingssr/status/1387945624407060481?s=21
As another former FBG Staffer, I can't get all over Heath too much. But the Bears have only had two QB throw for 3,800 yards in a season in their 100 year history. Erik Kramer holds the record at 3,838. Granted, that was in a 16 game season, so extrapolated that would work out to 4,077 over 17 games (whether Fields plays all 17 games is yet to be seen). Similarly, they've only had 6 instances where a QB threw 24 passing TDs in a season. Getting to 4,400 passing yards would mean an extra 500 yards above what Trubisky and Foles produced last year.

I guess it's possible, but IMO that seems high. That would set a new record for passing yards by a rookie. Given that that total would only rank as QB26 leads me to believe that Heath is over projecting QB production in general.

I think Fields could excel in Chicago if Nagy hands over the play calling like he did the 2nd half last year.  And of course it depends on when they (Coaches) will let him start (right from the jump?)

I have never been more excited about a Bears QB acquisition. I just did not have this in my range of outcomes going into the draft. Star me.

Users who are viewing this thread