What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Kyler Murray, ARZ (1 Viewer)

I believe Murray wants to lift Arizona out of picking Top 1-2-3, at least get them to 4-13/5-12 down the stretch if he is slinging the football
What would Arizona do if they did land the top spot? They did this a few years back with Murray to begin with, they cannot take a QB after they invested all that $$$ '22

They could trade the #1 if they landed there, I just think Murray will push them up to a 3-4 win team, that should allow someone to else landing #1 overall, maybe Carolina.
Yep. What more motivation do u need then the better u play the less likely they draft your replacement.

I mean there's tanking and then there's sitting a healthy Murray to play Clayton Tune. The NFL would step in like the NBA did to the Sixers.

Like the day Philly yanked Hurts and put in Sudfeld? Like when the NFL stepped in that one?

Huh. Good luck with that. Check the staredown between the owner and commissioner.
That was mid game in the last game of the year. This is week 10 and we just saw Tune is not NFL ready. If they try to say Tune is the better choice than Murray, they might get 1 week of that before the owners say he'll no.

I mean there's tanking and then there's sitting a healthy Murray to play Clayton Tune. The NFL would step in like the NBA did to the Sixers.

Like the day Philly yanked Hurts and put in Sudfeld? Like when the NFL stepped in that one?

Huh. Good luck with that. Check the staredown between the owner and commissioner.
To be fair, that was for half of one game, not half the season.

Personally, I think Arizona is highly unlikely to be the #1 pick. I think the NYG are the team to beat there. I think its very possible they don't win another game this season.

As maybe the board's biggest Kyler fan, I think it'd be a mistake to take a QB even if they somehow get the #1. I wouldn't be shocked if Murray's presence alone this week is enough to beat the fighting Arthur Smith's.

Gannon appears to know what he's doing, Kingsbury never really did. Murray is an elite talent that covered up a lot of holes in the previous gameplan/scheme. Murray has a pretty good group of receivers to throw to in Brown, Wilson, Moore and McBride. The offense WILL improve when Conner comes back. Conner may come back this week, the 1st week Murray is back. Doubtful this is a coincidence. Count me in. Murray could be a league winner if you missed out on one of the big name QBs in the draft.

The Falcons have been torched the last 4 weeks to the tune of an 11-1 TD/INT ratio by the likes of Sam Howell, Baker Mayfield, Will Levis, and Josh Dobbs (without knowing the playbook.) For this week anyway, Murray couldn't be coming back to much better of a matchup.

Wrapped up package of disappointment coming right up...

Gannon appears to know what he's doing, Kingsbury never really did. Murray is an elite talent that covered up a lot of holes in the previous gameplan/scheme. Murray has a pretty good group of receivers to throw to in Brown, Wilson, Moore and McBride. The offense WILL improve when Conner comes back. Conner may come back this week, the 1st week Murray is back. Doubtful this is a coincidence. Count me in. Murray could be a league winner if you missed out on one of the big name QBs in the draft.
Or for those of us that lost Cousins...

Or Richardson, or Fields, or Jones, or Rodgers, or Stafford, or any number of the busts we've seen this season like Watson or Lawrence. Man, this season has been U-G-L-Y!

Or Richardson, or Fields, or Jones, or Rodgers, or Stafford, or any number of the busts we've seen this season like Watson or Lawrence. Man, this season has been U-G-L-Y!
Yep. QB has been crazy this year. Even Mahomes has 5 games under 20 with only 4 games over 20.

You ain’t got no alibi.

After seeing what Josh Dobbs did to ATL with zero preparation, I’m thinking Kyler is a must start this week. In one it’s an easy decision to cover Tua’s bye. In another I have the decision between him and stroud. Leaning Kyler but always tough to sit a guy that just went absolutely bananas.

I know I should start him over Russ vs Bills. The OC piece, talking about running prolly gives me the courage. Also in the back of my mind I got to think they waited a week to bypass the tough CLE matchup, This is the ideal week for him to come back against ATL. We should start him barring you have a top 5-7 QB right?!

After seeing what Josh Dobbs did to ATL with zero preparation, I’m thinking Kyler is a must start this week. In one it’s an easy decision to cover Tua’s bye. In another I have the decision between him and stroud. Leaning Kyler but always tough to sit a guy that just went absolutely bananas.
I'm using Kyler as my Tua bye-week filler too....but I'm not sure I'd start him over Stroud if I had that option...

I rode the Kyler wave early on, and also rode it when he fell of his surf board last year. When he runs with reckless abandon, he's a top 5 QB...I just don't think that's going to happen right now.

I'm using Kyler as my Tua bye-week filler too....but I'm not sure I'd start him over Stroud if I had that option...

I rode the Kyler wave early on, and also rode it when he fell of his surf board last year. When he runs with reckless abandon, he's a top 5 QB...I just don't think that's going to happen right now.
I wonder if once we hit live action if he knows any other way

Most athletes don't. I do think they go into this week with the idea, that in some cases, let's just throw it away instead of running. Easy to say that though. Gotta believe Murray is playing rest of year knowing they could replace him.

Nothing to add other than I am excited to see what Kyler can do with Gannon running the show.

Also interested to see how much his mobility has been impacted by the injury.

It’s a solid matchup but if I think for Murray owners it should be a wait and see how it goes this week if you have other solid options.

Nothing to add other than I am excited to see what Kyler can do with Gannon running the show.

It’s a solid matchup but if I think for Murray owners it should be a wait and see how it goes this week if you have other solid options.
I have Trevor vs TEN and Kyler vs HOU, and honestly, I don't have the nads to start Kyler, even though he has a better matchup.

I have Trevor vs TEN and Kyler vs HOU, and honestly, I don't have the nads to start Kyler, even though he has a better matchup.
Wait, wrong week!

Most athletes don't. I do think they go into this week with the idea, that in some cases, let's just throw it away instead of running. Easy to say that though. Gotta believe Murray is playing rest of year knowing they could replace him.
Watching him over the last few seasons, there were times I felt confident they told him not to be as aggressive scrambling - It might not be a hard and fast rule, but I think there are times they are told to run less - usually from injury concerns. My issue with scrambling QB's is always based on that - their productivity is tied to their mobility. When they play healthy with a green light, they're great...when that running light goes yellow or red, so does their production.

Agree 100% re. the replacement factor though - hopefully that means he brings his A-game every time. Although I have no idea if he'd welcome a trade / replacement at this point or not I guess.

In a SF do you start Murray over Lamar (vs CLE), Lawrence (vs SF), Stroud (vs Cin)? Pick two.

Just where exactly are people's confidence in Murray for his first game back in what appears to be a great matchup vs Atl?

Personally, I have a hard time playing him over Lamar/Stroud even though they have tough matchups.

(I know this is kind of AC territory but I am asking more in the realm of what is the general consensus on confidence starting him right out of the gate)

ETA: So maybe it's more of where do you rank him this week as QBXX vs the everyone else?

If Murray gets hurt the Cardinals will be on the hook for 100% of his salary. This seems like a huge gamble / not smart move but maybe I’m missing something.
What else are they going to do with him? Sit him on the bench healthy and pay him anyway?
Imagine being scared to play your players while coaching at the highest level of football lol.

In a SF do you start Murray over Lamar (vs CLE), Lawrence (vs SF), Stroud (vs Cin)? Pick two.

Just where exactly are people's confidence in Murray for his first game back in what appears to be a great matchup vs Atl?

Personally, I have a hard time playing him over Lamar/Stroud even though they have tough matchups.

(I know this is kind of AC territory but I am asking more in the realm of what is the general consensus on confidence starting him right out of the gate)

ETA: So maybe it's more of where do you rank him this week as QBXX vs the everyone else?
Very nice QB room in superflex!

I'm playing him over Russ, Levis, and Dak in different leagues (Dak was a close call I may waffle on). I would play Stroud and Lamar over him this week though.

If Murray gets hurt the Cardinals will be on the hook for 100% of his salary. This seems like a huge gamble / not smart move but maybe I’m missing something.
What else are they going to do with him? Sit him on the bench healthy and pay him anyway?
Imagine being scared to play your players while coaching at the highest level of football lol.
nothing to do with being scared It’s all about money in NFL we all know that. That’s why Carr was told not to play.

Send him home like they did to Carr unless he’s clearly their answer and are no longer going to draft a QB in draft. They are gambling playing him in hopes to get a higher draft pick if he gets injured they are on the hook for entire contract. Dumb move.

They are gambling playing him in hopes to get a higher draft pick if he gets injured they are on the hook for entire contract. Dumb move.
The possible dumb move was giving him the contract in the first place. At this point they are on the hook so you might as well play him and see if he is worth the money you signed him to.

If you go with "don't play big contract guys cause they might get hurt" philosophy what is even the point of having an NFL team?

Only if the injury is so severe that he can't pass a physical next March. I don't dismiss that risk, it is significant but it is still highly unlikely. Maybe 10% chance, unless at this point his body is a time bomb that's pretty much bound to explode in his next few hundred snaps but in that case you'd rather have it happen now than next year when you don't have an offseason to do anything about it.

By testing Kyler now the new coaching staff can get a lot of clarity for their upcoming offseason. If he struggles then they would need to plan to use the necessary draft capital on an heir presumptive they're confident in. Same if he suffers a major injury. If he performs well then their 2024 outlook will get enormously brighter. He'll have knocked off all the rust and developed comfort with the new system plus new personnel.

I have no doubt Kyler wants to play. What a player wants shouldn't always be a decisive consideration but it's always nice to be able to fulfill the wishes of your franchise QB especially when the wish comes from competitive fire. Let him play now and you allow him to build confidence and momentum while giving him an opportunity to use the offseason if he struggles (if he doesn't take that opportunity that's on him).

Plus while this is meaningless to us, if Kyler plays well the Cardinals will receive an immediate boost in attendance and ratings, which will carry over next year into higher season ticket sales and more nationally televised games on the 2024 docket.

Gannon's decision to not only play Kyler but trade Josh Dobbs too tells me he likes what he's seen on the practice field. Seems like he's had a plan regarding Kyler all season and he's happy with the way it has unfolded. I bet Kyler validates Gannon's plan by hitting the ground running. I'm starting him in my main league this weekend (for Mahomes' bye) with confidence.

Only if the injury is so severe that he can't pass a physical next March. I don't dismiss that risk, it is significant but it is still highly unlikely. Maybe 10% chance, unless at this point his body is a time bomb that's pretty much bound to explode in his next few hundred snaps but in that case you'd rather have it happen now than next year when you don't have an offseason to do anything about it.

By testing Kyler now the new coaching staff can get a lot of clarity for their upcoming offseason. If he struggles then they would need to plan to use the necessary draft capital on an heir presumptive they're confident in. Same if he suffers a major injury. If he performs well then their 2024 outlook will get enormously brighter. He'll have knocked off all the rust and developed comfort with the new system plus new personnel.

I have no doubt Kyler wants to play. What a player wants shouldn't always be a decisive consideration but it's always nice to be able to fulfill the wishes of your franchise QB especially when the wish comes from competitive fire. Let him play now and you allow him to build confidence and momentum while giving him an opportunity to use the offseason if he struggles (if he doesn't take that opportunity that's on him).

Plus while this is meaningless to us, if Kyler plays well the Cardinals will receive an immediate boost in attendance and ratings, which will carry over next year into higher season ticket sales and more nationally televised games on the 2024 docket.

Gannon's decision to not only play Kyler but trade Josh Dobbs too tells me he likes what he's seen on the practice field. Seems like he's had a plan regarding Kyler all season and he's happy with the way it has unfolded. I bet Kyler validates Gannon's plan by hitting the ground running. I'm starting him in my main league this weekend (for Mahomes' bye) with confidence.
Isn’t his contract guaranteed for the next 2 seasons after this one? Feels like they’re married to him next season no matter what?

Isn’t his contract guaranteed for the next 2 seasons after this one? Feels like they’re married to him next season no matter what?
Apparently part of it is only guaranteed against injury and Arizona could save a lot of money by waiving a healthy Kyler by March of next season.

IMO that only strengthens the expectation that Kyler will perform well in this backhalf of 2023. If Gannon was convinced Kyler's return would be a bust there would be no upside to playing him and risking that injury. I bet Gannon believes in Kyler based on what he's seen in the film room and on the practice field and wants to start building his offense with his franchise QB right now rather than next season.

Last edited:
Ganon is a new coach with a 1-8 team. He won't be a coach for long if he doesn't win. So he better find all the players he can as fast as he can. The Cardinals have been competitive in every game except 1 this year. That was when they started Tune. If he did the owners bidding and played Tune every week to get the #1 pick, he'd be looking at 1-16 as his career record and trying to explain to other owners why they should hire him as head coach.

Finding a teams franchise QB is one of the toughest things in sports. Some teams literally go decades shuffling through them trying to find one. How many of us are convinced Murray is that guy? I think if the choices were either "yes," "no," or "need to see more," most would need to see more. I think the Cardinals also need to see more. He's healthy. He's ready. They use the rest of season to make that conclusion and hope he stays upright so injury guarantees dont kick in. In the Cardinals perfect world, he finishes out strong. They conclude he is the guy and start building around him.

While I wait for Fields to get back on the field, the QB merry go round continues. This week I am rolling with Murray over Watson and his unfavorable matchup.

They are gambling playing him in hopes to get a higher draft pick if he gets injured they are on the hook for entire contract. Dumb move.
The possible dumb move was giving him the contract in the first place. At this point they are on the hook so you might as well play him and see if he is worth the money you signed him to.

If you go with "don't play big contract guys cause they might get hurt" philosophy what is even the point of having an NFL team?
It the odds are high you’re moving on after the year makes zero sense to risk having entire contract count towards your cap and you foot 100%. We aren’t talking about a small contract amount. If they play him and he gets hurt they are on the hook for entire remaining contract. If they don’t play him they can cut and cap hit will end quicker. Doesn’t surprise me they are risking it they are a horrible franchise.

Users who are viewing this thread