What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Malik Willis, TEN (1 Viewer)

Here's my take and don't follow it nearly as closely as Bri here, Vrabel seems like the kind of coach who is willing to be patient with QB development, Levis doesn't appear ready and if he can will go with Tannehill as long as he can, maybe get Levis some action at tail end of season if/when they're out of it. Willis can maybe be an ok backup but doesn't seem to be a starting caliber NFL QB. If Tanny somehow goes down, I think Tenn would rather just throw Willis out there, at that point season is over anyway.

Reactions: Bri
Scrimmage
I've got his squad losing 35 to 28 scrolling Twitter
His was second team everyone except he got Henry.
Tannehill with trick play bomb to Hopkins, Willis answered a few plays later with a bomb to Racey

Bad throw INT
Threw one away mentioned as good

No Roberson, Whyle, or Harrison mentioned so not sure if they participated.

A number of short passes and rhythm plays. See this, THIS is where I'm like ok the reporters keep saying he's looked so much better. I've literally never seen this from him.

Henry had two huge gains, Dowell the other bomb

Oh end of scrimmage two minute drill. Tannehill got a FG. Willis sacked then they were stopped for no points. Given 16 seconds from midfield, he hail Mary'd a pass incomplete

A couple perfect passes people raved about
Not much other commentary as of now

I'm still- is he new and improved version or last year's version.

Cosell questioning the offensive play calls and direction.
Playing hand he was dealt, Malik didn't pass well but ran great.
Back to discussing the offensive game plan and play calls

He's going to be doing this again in about an hour so odd Titan fandom can hear him twice

Congratulations to him on holding off a high second round pick they traded up for and...big deal, kudos. Literally no one thought that was possible but me. (Pats self on back)

Now tonight, if he looks like the 2022 version then I fully expect videos of the OC and QB coach punching a wall or banging their heads.

Show us what everyone likes in practice!!!!

There he is!
That must be the version they've seen in camp.
Comfy in the pocket at times.
Throws are a little off but all in all good to very good.
Excellent reactions to the line breaking down. He didn't get back to the LOS a couple times but I'm not...he's dropping back, pocket collapses, he's doing his best to not get sacked while being chased; it did not look like it was on him at all. Other times he's actually feeling the pocket collapse as he should.

As I tweeted, this puts him at a typical rookie point.

7 for 7 after going 1 for 5. I don't care. He calmed down and got it together. As a whole good job.

He's not running much so not sure where the gameplan is with that. WRs not only running no cut routes so back to normal.

INT a little behind, WR got hands on it, Pats defender got low to get it. Eh whatever. That doesn't register as a concern. Maybe next year.

Very relieved to see it, phew

He looks legit, have to say if he looks this good now I wonder what he looks like if called upon late season? He has a shot to start next year.

Reactions: Bri
Giardi wrote this:

Willis doesn't appear to stink. Last year, he couldn't even run their offense and looked to be a year away from being a year away.

Giardi wrote this:

Willis doesn't appear to stink. Last year, he couldn't even run their offense and looked to be a year away from being a year away.
It's like some QBs can improve year to year. I am not totally sold yet but he might be bootleg Hurts in a year or 2 and for fantasy, that could be a bargain.

I thought maybe I was the only one that came away more than a little impressed with Willis
I'm not saying I saw greatness but i did see someone with some savviness and that was refreshing
There's a place for him in the NFL, not sure if Titans or elsewhere but I saw a playmaker

And And And...this was my biggest takeaway, DeAndre Hopkins was running to catch up with Willis on the sideline towards the end of the 1st Half after Titans scored
It showed me a lot to see Hopkins right in his ear and wanting to feed off his energy, not something that happens with THill
To each their own but I know what I saw.

They won again and rather convincingly.
He didn't run for 91 yards only about 8 for 18 yards.
15 of 20 for 200ish 2 TDs 2 INTs

That's plenty for a young QB.
What did the Pats do on D to prevent running or was it the Titans gameplan of keeping him in the pocket this week?
Because that threat is a big one, that guy can rrrreally run like Fields or Lamar or whomever.

I enjoyed how winning means a lot to him and how it may just be preseason but that's all he's got to work with right now. He's gotta win over teammates after last year and said he believes convincing wins help even if it's preseason. He rattled off a list of coaches when asked of his improvement like giving credit to them, not himself. He hasn't whined or been bad attitude, just gets to work on improving.

I like him. He's growing on me a lot this off-season and especially this summer.

I still can't emphasize how improbable it was after last year and then drafting Levis. Looking at Zappe (who played awful but I like him) who didn't have much of a shot in beating out Mac. You can think of a lot of guys in Malik's shoes that didn't hold off the top (ish) draft pick. It's really something.

Again though- I think he started like some minor league player and now he's at about the rookie level.

"I loved the way that he competed, I loved it," Titans Coach Mike Vrabel said of Willis, who finished the night 15-of-20 for 211 yards and two touchdowns, along with two interceptions. "I love what he was able to do … the way he competed and finished."

Vrabel has not named Willis the backup.

For all intents and purposes he did it. Difficult to hold off a topish pick too.

I still think the same- how's the line doing? Chances are Levis ain't playing behind it and getting shellacked.

I don't think anything this week changes a narrative BUT I'll tell ya what...Vrabel would make a colossal mistake if he names Levis as the backup.

The line mentioned already and his patient development but Malik was the story all summer with countless teammates noticing his work ethic and improvement. That would be a big mistake.

Naming Willis. Naming no one. Both work well.
The team needs to get towards the end of the year and to be telling people "train like Malik did last off-season." Skip QB play for a minute, if they can get young guys working with private positions coaches and watching film and getting in better shape....that could be huge for them.

Vrabel said he's going to split backup reps between the two all year and maybe give Tannehill a rest day here n there to get them more reps.
This is partially untrue coachspeak because someone is running the scout team.

He said Willis needs to cut down mistakes, throw the ball away, live to fight another day. He blamed WRs some. He said all the good all the improvement...still can't make the mistakes.

I still very much think he's the guy IF and Levis is learning this year. Never forget the line stinks until proven otherwise

https://twitter.com/theqbschool

Find the Willis full version or highlight tweets.
This guy is breaking down everything of one game.
Heel clicking "I'm doing it right coach" is amateurish but maybe necessary to get him more polished.
Some bad plays, great plays, some on the WRs....guy breaks down it all

Welp Willis is the backup so he accomplished the impossible and beat out an almost first round pick QB.

Some asterisk too- I figured Levis would always sit 2023 but still he never beat out Willis in camp and it has to be worded as such by the press. Levis needs some zings, no coddling, work hard and do better in practice and next off-season and learn etc. The press can help here. Don't gift Levis a 2024 starting job make him earn it. Give him motivation for his wall

Tannehill didn’t look great today. Wonder if there’s any possibility of him getting run in ‘23?

Tannehill didn’t look great today. Wonder if there’s any possibility of him getting run in ‘23?

I'm considering stashing him in a super flex. Tanny gets a few more shots IMHO.
While he may be #2 now, I’m not sure they still trust him and if they do bench Tannehill at some point, could turn things over to Levis as the future.
Levis is definitely not ready

While he may be #2 now, I’m not sure they still trust him and if they do bench Tannehill at some point, could turn things over to Levis as the future.
Agreed but Willis probably isn’t either unless he’s shown marked improvement

He’s certainly got more experience

He’s certainly got more experience
That’s the problem 🙂

Willis ain't the answer. Tannehill starts until Tennessee is out of the playoff picture. It's W1 and most of the starters have barely played. Tannehill will be better.

And Levis is less the answer than Willis.

I'd like to see them give Willis a shot if Tanny can't improve.

Willis ain't the answer. Tannehill starts until Tennessee is out of the playoff picture. It's W1 and most of the starters have barely played. Tannehill will be better.

And Levis is less the answer than Willis.

I'd like to see them give Willis a shot if Tanny can't improve.
Agreed. I'd be surprised if Levis sees the field this year. Things would have to be LOL bad for that to happen.

Announcers: You can’t take a sack here.
Willis: Takes sack.
He proceeded to take like 3 sacks after that. God he looked bad. After the talk of him improving alot in the offseason I was intrigued from a fantasy perspective because of his athleticism but I can't imagine he remains backup over Levis much longer

He proceeded to take like 3 sacks after that. God he looked bad. After the talk of him improving alot in the offseason I was intrigued from a fantasy perspective because of his athleticism but I can't imagine he remains backup over Levis much longer
It was twelve snaps four sacks or twelve drop backs and four sacks.

No one was open or had any kind of separation. Most of their WRs can't get separation and Titans fans have been grumpy since cut down day as they didn't keep those that could.

He should have thrown it away on two.
The one he ran, I thought he'd make it, then I thought woah good effort, nope still short.

The speed which the D gets to him and the WRs running two cut routes is stupid by the OC. Did same stuff w Tannehill. How about routes with one cut or a slant or something fast?

He wasn't ready for the D to be in his face so quick and who would be? He didn't even get the 2.8 second average.

I don't think there's a QB in the NFL that can succeed in that scenario and they need an OC change.

Why wasn't the line yelled at? A TE/FB put in? A roll out called or use his feet somehow in a play?

As far as Levis, we don't know that he's fixed up not being comfy throwing left and other issues he had when drafted. I don't see what they gain by getting him hit in one second. That type sub has wrecked a lot of young QBs careers. I bet there is a ton he can learn here on film so let him learn on the sideline as planned.

Every Titans fan was surprised the cheaply paid Dobbs was released after he played like a good backup and...this is all their doing. GMs fault and OCs fault.

Their targets stink except for Nuk. They can only run Henry often and throw against a D with eight in the box. They can't turn into some fancy passing O or do much cute except a deep shot in occasion.

Every time this darn Texans OC tries stuff it's like duh you have NWI and Moore as your WRs why did you think that would work?

I mean it. The OC has to go or I'm afraid people lose jobs. I don't think anyone, even the new GM, is safe right now.

Lastly, Nuk talks to Willis often and they've grown close. That probably matters in some respect

Malik is not a competent NFL QB.....no way. Saw enough.

They should start working Levis asap and see what they got.

No one was open or had any kind of separation. Most of their WRs can't get separation and Titans fans have been grumpy since cut down day as they didn't keep those that could.

The one he ran, I thought he'd make it, then I thought woah good effort, nope still short.

The speed which the D gets to him and the WRs running two cut routes is stupid by the OC. Did same stuff w Tannehill. How about routes with one cut or a slant or something fast?

He wasn't ready for the D to be in his face so quick and who would be? He didn't even get the 2.8 second average.

I don't think there's a QB in the NFL that can succeed in that scenario and they need an OC change.

Why wasn't the line yelled at? A TE/FB put in? A roll out called or use his feet somehow in a play?

As far as Levis, we don't know that he's fixed up not being comfy throwing left and other issues he had when drafted. I don't see what they gain by getting him hit in one second. That type sub has wrecked a lot of young QBs careers. I bet there is a ton he can learn here on film so let him learn on the sideline as planned.

Every Titans fan was surprised the cheaply paid Dobbs was released after he played like a good backup and...this is all their doing. GMs fault and OCs fault.

Their targets stink except for Nuk. They can only run Henry often and throw against a D with eight in the box. They can't turn into some fancy passing O or do much cute except a deep shot in occasion.

Every time this darn Texans OC tries stuff it's like duh you have NWI and Moore as your WRs why did you think that would work?

I mean it. The OC has to go or I'm afraid people lose jobs. I don't think anyone, even the new GM, is safe right now.

Lastly, Nuk talks to Willis often and they've grown close. That probably matters in some respect
They could have not traded AJ Brown…

They could have not traded AJ Brown…
🤷 we’ve been saying that for 18 months.

think they were hoping to give Levis more time, but Willis doesn't appear to be good enough to play, in which case they should've upgraded their backup

Cutting Malik would make no sense from an organizational standpoint. He was the perfect example of how ya want everyone to train n learn in the off-season and he had everyone's attention beating out Levis in camp. They've had enough hits to their culture.
Cutting him after the season...well whatever. I'd disagree but if they want to move on, fine. Just don't draft another Levis could probably benefit from being the focus of the staff.

It could also mean Tannehill will go on IR and they'll let the young guys play- Malik if needed.

Vrabel has clarified his comments that he was just referring to GameDay active roster sooo...guess we discard that

Users who are viewing this thread