What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Marcus Mariota, WAS (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Oregon redshirt junior QB Marcus Mariota receieved a -2.0 grade form Pro Football Focus for his performance in the school's 51-13 win over Arizona.

PFF's Gordon McGuinness writes Mariota's stat line of five touchdowns does not tell the whole story, and he should have been picked off multiple times. "There were overthrows, late throws into coverage and careless penalties in a performance that never clicked like his touchdown total suggests," he writes. McGuinness astutely adds Mariota was 3 for 10 on throws 20-plus yards downfield.

Source: Pro Football Focus

Dec 8 - 11:03 AM
This is what I see when I watch Mariota as well people read the final stat line and fall in love though. :shrug:
I didn't like this QB when he came out for the very same reasons.
I have to say, if I thought Mariota would be able to sit and learn for a few years, I'd be much higher on his ability to succeed. I like him, but he's just not asked to make very many difficult throws in college.
Apparently he wasn't asked to make difficult throws because he makes them all look easy.

He competed 21 of 30 for 70% passing, 326 yards and a TD in preseason too (1 INT as well) playing against nothing but starters, so this just seems to be a continuation of that to all the "it's only one game" folks.

He followed that up with 13 for 16 (81%) for 209 yards and 4 TDs in three quarters. The kid is super efficient and hasn't even had to break out the wheels yet.

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?

Sooo glad I stuck to my guns and drafted Mariota with my mid first round rookie draft pick. He truly reminds me of a young Aaron Rodgers. The way he moves around in the pocket and can throw on the run.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didnt see MM hardly at all while he was in college but watched the bulk of his game yesterday and damn he looks the part. Big, strong, confident. The Titans seem to have their QB they have been looking for. The kid throws lasers without any effort. I was really impressed.

That is maybe the fastest and most effortless release I've ever seen. Why didn't this kid go #1 again?
SYSTEM QB!!!! OREGON SPREAD RUNNING QB RG3 INJURY PISTOL KAEP NO HUDDLE OMGZ!!!!!! TOO QUIET BAD LEADER WON'T COMMAND RESPECT NFL GROWN MEN NOT COLLEGE!!!!Something like that.

I didnt see MM hardly at all while he was in college but watched the bulk of his game yesterday and damn he looks the part. Big, strong, confident. The Titans seem to have their QB they have been looking for. The kid throws lasers without any effort. I was really impressed.
If he ends up being good or great, Whisenhunt will show what he can do as a HC.

No good reason(s).
Tampa had the first pick. Lovie is a dinosaur.
....and a recycled loser.

90% of the head coaches in the NFL are recycled losers.

Anyway, Mariota looked great. I want to see him press the ball down the field more. He didn't have to against the Bucs. Teams will take away that read option quick throw. I don't know where Tampa's linebackers were in this game.

Teams will take away that read option quick throw.
Why do you think that? The read option is still a staple for Russell Wilson and a few others. The Eagles have been pretty prolific the past two years with similar plays and QBs less adept than Mariota running them. My biggest concern for Mariota was the Titans trying to make a square piece fit into a round space, but they seemed to make some nice adjustments yesterday to his skill set. He's always been accurate and smart with the football.

Teams will take away that read option quick throw.
Why do you think that? The read option is still a staple for Russell Wilson and a few others. The Eagles have been pretty prolific the past two years with similar plays and QBs less adept than Mariota running them.My biggest concern for Mariota was the Titans trying to make a square piece fit into a round space, but they seemed to make some nice adjustments yesterday to his skill set. He's always been accurate and smart with the football.
He'll be challenged more than he was yesterday. That's all I'm saying. It's a tough day to be a Buc fan.

There was a great thread here a while back about Under-reaction, or something like that. The idea being that FF owners look at a single big game, call it an outlier because they assume they are being guppies by jumping at the one big game, then underplay the reaction and miss out. I think this might be such a case. I don't agree with assumptions about the skill players around MM. The Titans have been drafting WR and RB with solid picks for a while now, I think this can continue.

This is a double edged sword, because he played so well in the first half he did not have to do much in the 2nd. Overall if pressed he could do more, at least in terms of what this article is looking for, for example the downfield stuff.
Curious...how many passes over 10 yards did Brady attempt?

Mariota attempted just two passes that traveled 20+ yards in the air from scrimmage, and both were called back by penalty. Everything was either short (11 attempts under 10 yards) or intermediate (5), and as much a product of the defense he was facing as any fantastic skill on his part.
When Mariota went deep, as the article noted, he completed a ball to Douglas (called back on Holding), and on the other one, Harry Douglas got tackled for an easy PI.

I'm not sure if I have the energy to look up those Brady numbers, but I tell you what it's probably a little uncomfortable to be the Bucs scout/coach/GM who made the call on Winston over MM this morning.

This is a double edged sword, because he played so well in the first half he did not have to do much in the 2nd. Overall if pressed he could do more, at least in terms of what this article is looking for, for example the downfield stuff.
I agree mostly. He was amazing at what he had to do, i.e. quick, accurate throws that gave his receivers chances to make nice runs after the catch. The question is how he'll do when he's not facing an atrocious defense. A defense that forces him to progress through his first and second read (Edit: Mariota averaged 2.19 seconds per attempt). The gameplan worked to perfection yesterday.

I think he'll do well, all the signs are good. He was very decisive and had amazing accuracy. It will be interesting to see how he does when he's tested a little bit more.

I'm not sure if I have the energy to look up those Brady numbers, but I tell you what it's probably a little uncomfortable to be the Bucs scout/coach/GM who made the call on Winston over MM this morning.
Look, Im an armchair fantasy scout, and a lot of the time not a very good one. But I never liked Winston. And I loved Mariota. I think the biggest thing for me was the fact that Winston always seemed to make a pile of bonehead plays in a game, and then FSU always had to come from behind......Granted they did come back and win, but he also had a GREAT supporting cast around him. Add the off field immaturity stuff.....Huge red flag to me.

Mariota on the other hand, never turned the ball over in college.....In a offense that is always attacking. He always had great touch to his passing. It may be a "system" at Oregon, but to me he always seemed to be beyond a system. He's not a "dual-threat, system QB". Hes a big, fast, smart football player. By all accounts, hes also a humble, great kid.

With all that said, its one week......By no means is MM the next coming and Winston a bust at this point.......But dam!....MM came in with a bang!

If you have any kind of question mark at QB, trade for this guy. His value is only going to go up from here. He's gonna slice up the Browns

He's actually still on our wire. Winston was drafted but not Mariota. Makes my late Eli pick look even better...although Eli gets the Falcons at home next week. Gotta go back to the well one more time...

One thing I love about watching great qbs is that they consistently place the ball where the receiver can catch it without breaking stride or going off balance. I've seen so many mediocre qbs who complete a decent percentage of their pass attempts but they're slightly off target so that the receiver has to adjust to it and has no chance of running after making the catch.

I only watched part of the game yesterday but from what I saw Mariota was putting the ball in the right spot effortlessly and making it easy for his guys to pick up big chunks of yardage after the catch. Really impressive game.

If you have any kind of question mark at QB, trade for this guy. His value is only going to go up from here. He's gonna slice up the Browns
The Browns have much better CB's and overall D than Tampa. MM will prob run more in the Browns game,but he's not putting up close to those passing #'s up against the Browns in Cleveland as he did in Tampa.

The Browns have much better CB's and overall D than Tampa. MM will prob run more in the Browns game,but he's not putting up close to those passing #'s up against the Browns in Cleveland as he did in Tampa.
More yards. Less TDs. More INTs. I'd go 21-32 for 250 with 2 TD and 1-2 INT.

First of all, he may never again put up passing #s like that and play 10+ years. Is anyone ever perfect twice from one yard plus?

Last year's game was very high scoring, maybe each team's highest.

I don't think the Browns have anyone that can cover Wright or the Titans Hawkins. Haden covered Hunter last year and strangely enough Hunter did well.

Shelton looks studly and is everything the Titans need. The Browns should be able to run well but they sure didn't week one. The Titans could try for an early lead and take away that advantage the Browns will have.

The Titans would be fine throwing to Wright all day. The Browns never seem to rely on Hawk where he can become a stud compiler.

Browns OL gems matchup with Titans weaknesses. It's not like they'll switch Thomas to the right or play Mack at Tackle but Casey was very disruptive and I bet Browns fans wanted that last year. Mack blocking Titans backup NT and Thomas on DaQuan Jones is almost a gift to the Titans. Morgan and Casey will destroy that right side.

I'd take MM over Manziel in a shootout, no problem. In preseason and week 1, their offense looks so very vanilla with McCown but better with Manziel. I don't get that. Plays for him? That shouldn't be but...that vanilla offense will not win even against what might still be a porous secondary. Inexperienced QBs often have a vanilla O ready for a DC like Lebeau so he doesn't wreck Manziel and...I'm really looking to see something from Pettine here this week. I was thoroughly impressed by his turnaround of the Browns last year but I think the Titans will be heavily favored by the time the week is out if Manziel is starting.

I thought he looked great. Poised and did what the plays were drawn up to do. The number of TD passes he got might be a bit misleading though. It took a perfect storm of circumstances for him to get 4. 2 of them came when Titans had 1st and goal from 1 or 2 yard line. They tried to run it and got stuffed. He ended up having 2 nice passes for TDs eventually. Now could this happen all the time due to their lack of running game? Sure, but hard to predict short TDs like that. It will be nice to see him in a different game script though, I think he'll be exciting to watch.

I thought he looked great. Poised and did what the plays were drawn up to do. The number of TD passes he got might be a bit misleading though. It took a perfect storm of circumstances for him to get 4. 2 of them came when Titans had 1st and goal from 1 or 2 yard line. They tried to run it and got stuffed. He ended up having 2 nice passes for TDs eventually. Now could this happen all the time due to their lack of running game? Sure, but hard to predict short TDs like that. It will be nice to see him in a different game script though, I think he'll be exciting to watch.
Seems to me his quick, precise passing could really open up the running game.......Hell, he may even make Sankey startable!

Wasn't at least one of those because of PI in the end zone, though? So presumably without a penalty it's a TD anyway?

“We had to lift weights first thing, and Marcus was in there back squatting, doing the trap bar deadlift, doing the things that quarterbacks don’t normally do,’’ receiver Harry Douglas said. “The guy’s a worker. I mean, that is one way I knew he was different from the beginning. When we came the first day we had lifting in the offseason, he was doing heavy weights. I said, ‘See, he’s a different guy.’ But you love that about him, man. If you are in the weight room and your quarterback is doing stuff like that, it makes you want to go 100 percent even more for him.

“Marcus isn’t about to take it easy.”

Titans tackle Taylor Lewan shared a similar story. It just didn’t involve sweat.

“In the hot tub today, he was looking at his iPad, already looking at Cleveland,’’ said Lewan, talking about the Titans’ next opponent, and Mariota. “The guy works hard. He is already on to the next (game). He has a professionalism about him.”

“I think the time for reflection is when the season is done. We have to find ways to get better,’’ Mariota said after the game. “There are always areas we can improve on and for me I’m just going to do that.”

Users who are viewing this thread